Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,204
    edited May 2020
    Tonight I decided to make homemade oven baked potato chips. Used my mandoline slicer. They came out great paired with a broiled pork chop with bbq sauce and asparagus. 

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Looks great.
    What did you do for the chips?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Looks great.
    Thanks. The chips were super easy. I sliced a potato (skin on) very thin using a mandoline slicer. If you don't have one, you can slice by hand, but it is harder to get them as thin - so they may not come out crispy. Then I dried the potato slices off with a paper towel. If they are wet, they tend to steam more than crisp up. I sprayed a baking sheet with olive oil and put the slices on (don't overlap them), and then sprayed olive oil all over the slices and sprinkled with smoked paprika (you can put on whatever seasoning you like) - bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes - then flip them over and bake another 5-10 minutes (depending on how thick they are) - just keep an eye on them. I let them go a bit longer since I like those extra crunchy brown parts. Add salt or more seasoning if you want - and eat. They are really good - and since they are baked they are better for you.

Tomorrow I am going to try homemade tortillas. I don't expect as much of a triumph. I actually bought a package of tortillas as backup. I am a fairly good cook but have very little confidence in myself for anything that even resembles a baked good (except for boxed cake and brownie mixes). I once tried to make olive bread. That loaf came out so hard it could have been used to give someone blunt force trauma :s

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,932
    Everything is looking super tasty tonight. Nice work! 
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    MF117973 said:
    Tonight I decided to make homemade oven baked potato chips. Used my mandolin slicer. They came out great paired with a broiled pork chop with bbq sauce and asparagus. 

I need asparagus tutorial. I kill it. I don't mean to. 

Please help me. What I do to asparagus is a crime. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    MF117973 said:
    Tonight I decided to make homemade oven baked potato chips. Used my mandolin slicer. They came out great paired with a broiled pork chop with bbq sauce and asparagus. 

I just sauteed it in a bit of olive oil. I keep the heat low and cook it until it is hot. I like it just barely cooked - so it still has crunch. Some people like it softer. If that is the case, I would steam it. Just don't boil it.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Asparagus by FMe
    Snap the bottoms off
    Gently (gently!) peel a layer of the skin from the 'Sparagus.
    Put an inch of water in a medium sauce pan.
    Out a steam basket in.
    Pop the green critters in there
    ...bring to boil and steam until the blade of a parking knife goes easily in/out.
    (2 mins)
    Remove from heat.  Hit with lemon juice and your favorite finishing salt.

Boom.  Peeling when you are cooking for a large group is a total pain in the ass, but it is worth it.
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    Looks great.
    Thanks. The chips were super easy. I sliced a potato (skin on) very thin using a mandoline slicer. If you don't have one, you can slice by hand, but it is harder to get them as thin - so they may not come out crispy. Then I dried the potato slices off with a paper towel. If they are wet, they tend to steam more than crisp up. I sprayed a baking sheet with olive oil and put the slices on (don't overlap them), and then sprayed olive oil all over the slices and sprinkled with smoked paprika (you can put on whatever seasoning you like) - bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes - then flip them over and bake another 5-10 minutes (depending on how thick they are) - just keep an eye on them. I let them go a bit longer since I like those extra crunchy brown parts. Add salt or more seasoning if you want - and eat. They are really good - and since they are baked they are better for you.

Tomorrow I am going to try homemade tortillas. I don't expect as much of a triumph. I actually bought a package of tortillas as backup. I am a fairly good cook but have very little confidence in myself for anything that even resembles a baked good (except for boxed cake and brownie mixes). I once tried to make olive bread. That loaf came out so hard it could have been used to give someone blunt force trauma :s

Cool, thanks.
    I may give that a go and put on a rack/switch to convection at perhaps a bit higher heat and forgo flipping 

I do have a mandoline, so I guess it will be a matter of playing with it to see how thin you prefer and adjusting the cooking time.

I made some on my salt stone not too long ago but I haven't baked any chips this way.  Sounds good.
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    deadendp said:
    MF117973 said:

I just sauteed it in a bit of olive oil. I keep the heat low and cook it until it is hot. I like it just barely cooked - so it still has crunch. Some people like it softer. If that is the case, I would steam it. Just don't boil it.

Asparagus by FMe
    Snap the bottoms off
    Gently (gently!) peel a layer of the skin from the 'Sparagus.
    Put an inch of water in a medium sauce pan.
    Out a steam basket in.
    Pop the green critters in there
    ...bring to boil and steam until the blade of a parking knife goes easily in/out.
    (2 mins)
    Remove from heat.  Hit with lemon juice and your favorite finishing salt.

Boom.  Peeling when you are cooking for a large group is a total pain in the ass, but it is worth it.
    Thank you! 
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,413
    I prefer roasted asparagus. Roasting takes away the bitterness.
    EVOO, S&P, maybe a little grated parm and minced garlic, 425 for 12-15 minutes.
    Yum!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The chips sound tasty AND doable. No mandolin here though. 

Asparagus?  One of my favorites in any form but for me, nothing beats them on the grill. Charred and crunchy!

No grill here though. Sense a theme? :lol:

Our kitchen is pretty but is impractically tiny and blows. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    The chips sound tasty AND doable. No mandolin here though. 

Asparagus?  One of my favorites in any form but for me, nothing beats them on the grill. Charred and crunchy!

No grill here though. Sense a theme? :lol:

Our kitchen is pretty but is impractically tiny and blows. 
    Grilling makes everything better. I have no grill either. Also, a teeny tiny kitchen. More counter and cabinet space is the dream. 
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Yum!
    Will try!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    MF117973 said:
    Looks great.

Did you make sure to get corn tortillas?  It does not work at all with flour tortillas.  I had to get some fancy schmancy "street taco wraps" from a different store once, and they were 75% corn 25% flour...even that 25% rendered them inedible.

Chips and chop, yummmmm!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I prefer 🌽 but others on family prefer flour ,- you can make them taste fine....wonder what happened with yours?
  • Options
    I prefer 🌽 but others on family prefer flour ,- you can make them taste fine....wonder what happened with yours?
    Flour tortillas turn to brick when you fry them lol
    Not at all the right consistency for chips. 
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    So what's everybody cooking today? I've got a butt on the smoker, making buns for the first time, homemade ice cream in the freezer, and a watermelon that I'm hoping is halfway decent. Plus, the weather couldn't be any better for a Saturday smoke.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    Oh for chips.  I've only done that with corn.

• Options
    So what's everybody cooking today? I've got a butt on the smoker, making buns for the first time, homemade ice cream in the freezer, and a watermelon that I'm hoping is halfway decent. Plus, the weather couldn't be any better for a Saturday smoke.
    Maybe turkey tenderloin, carrots and potatoes in the crock-pot. Got some weeding to do and for the next couple of days, the weather is going to cooperate! :triumph:
  • Options
    Show us your butt when it's good and ready!

It's only been a week and I'm dreaming of smoking another lol
    I keep hearing rumblings of meat shortages on the horizon and it's making me nervous.  We are fine going veg 90% of the time, we don't even bother with chicken much anymore, since it's just not that good.  The thought of no pork for special occasions though...
    I flipped through my Raising Pigs book for 2 hours last night, dreaming of feeding out a few pigs.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Show us your butt when it's good and ready!

It's only been a week and I'm dreaming of smoking another lol
    I keep hearing rumblings of meat shortages on the horizon and it's making me nervous.  We are fine going veg 90% of the time, we don't even bother with chicken much anymore, since it's just not that good.  The thought of no pork for special occasions though...
    I flipped through my Raising Pigs book for 2 hours last night, dreaming of feeding out a few pigs.
    Definitely will. Yeah, I've been sweating the shortage as well. We've been looking into getting a few hens, but that's just for the eggs. We bought a deep freeze a few months back and, luckily, we have an okay supply of meat but it's definitely thinning. 
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Sounds fucking amazing. 

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Hobbes said:
    Yum!
    Will try!
    Remember you have mentioned peeling asparagus before and have seen it on tv. What does it do? soften (not sure that’s the right word) it up a bit?
  • Options
    Sounds fucking amazing. 

That looks fucking amazing as well. I think I may try and make that for my wife next weekend for Mother's Day. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Yum!
    Will try!
    Remember you have mentioned peeling asparagus before and have seen it on tv. What does it do? soften (not sure that’s the right word) it up a bit?
    Yes, also sheds some of the taste/feel of the rough outside part.  Allows you to cook very quickly as I think before I felt I had to cook it enough to make the outside softer.

If you are just cooking a bunch it is easy to try.  The quick steam is key.

French onion beef noodle?  Sounds awesome.
    Ever since I saw the episode of Chef where they do the French onion soup I've been wanting to give it a go.  I like this spin on it 
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Yum!
    Will try!
    Yes, also sheds some of the taste/feel of the rough outside part.  Allows you to cook very quickly as I think before I felt I had to cook it enough to make the outside softer.

If you are just cooking a bunch it is easy to try.  The quick steam is key.

French onion beef noodle?  Sounds awesome.
    Ever since I saw the episode of Chef where they do the French onion soup I've been wanting to give it a go.  I like this spin on it 
    I think that is how I ended up killing it before. 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,932
    Doing salmon, potatoes and asparagus on the grill tonight.  I really need to get some cedar planks for the salmon. 
  • Options
    Pork chops...corn on the cob....not sure what else.  
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,413
    Pork chops...corn on the cob....not sure what else.  
    Had this last night. Went with stuffing for the starch.

Thinking artichokes for tonight.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,847
    I'm attempting a Pho with duck legs.