The Food Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Did anyone eat the skin?1?!?!  What would your boy Gordon Ramsey say about this?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Temp was right.  Everyone be else can fuck off
      ;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Most people don't eat the skin unless it's fried anyways.  Roasted poultry skin is gross 90% of the time.  Baste the shit out of it and crisp it up all you want, that subcutaneous fat is almost always slimy.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    rgambs said:
    Most people don't eat the skin unless it's fried anyways.  Roasted poultry skin is gross 90% of the time.  Baste the shit out of it and crisp it up all you want, that subcutaneous fat is almost always slimy.
    Skin goes to the house pet. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I love chicken skin. Gotta have some crisp though obviously 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    My old bodega in Brooklyn used to sell these. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    My old bodega in Brooklyn used to sell these. 

Fuck yeah 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I often eat the skin as well...although it can be slimy.  
    Wife raved about the chicken while we were eating dinner at her parents' place last night.
    I will be eating the rest of it today.  

Nothing beats pig skin.  Chiccaron fucking rules the skin game.
    (Salmon skin is pretty good as well)
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Crispy duck skin for me please. Peking style.
    That is good!  (You like better than pork?)
    Love it.
    What other skin is tasty?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    I eat the peel of potatoes.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Good call expanding beyond animal skin.
    I also love potato skins.  A baked potato wouldn't be the same w/o the skin.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    I bought my first Yanagiba. 

New knives are awesome.  
    I would like to try one of those
    Getting some globals changed my knife loyalties but that thing looks sweet

Damn, that looks like a very fine cutting tool.

I use cheap knives and sharpen them often.  Hell, I even use a cheap sharpener my mom bought at the as seen on TV store lol
    But the nicest two knives I have are Cutco and I do use them as often as they are clean and marginally appropriate for the cutting job.

I'm guessing nobody has heard of these, but they are local and I'm hoping to be gifted a set in the future lol
    https://warthercutlery.com
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    rgambs said:
    Damn, that looks like a very fine cutting tool.

I use cheap knives and sharpen them often.  Hell, I even use a cheap sharpener my mom bought at the as seen on TV store lol
    But the nicest two knives I have are Cutco and I do use them as often as they are clean and marginally appropriate for the cutting job.

I'm guessing nobody has heard of these, but they are local and I'm hoping to be gifted a set in the future lol
    https://warthercutlery.com
    Those are pretty sweet looking. Prices aren’t bad either.
    Those are wild looking, I like 
    The cutting boards are pretty cool looking, also.

The museum for World Master Carver Ernest "Mooney" Warner is pretty amazing, his output was incredible, it seems he must have carved 10 hours a day his entire life. 

They have a sharpening service onsite that keeps regular hours for these knives. 

eddiec said:

This looks sick. That would take some getting used to for me. I use a little taller (not sure that’s the right word) blade but that looks awesome 
    eddiec said:

This looks sick. That would take some getting used to for me. I use a little taller (not sure that’s the right word) blade but that looks awesome 
    It’s only for slicing boneless fish in the preparation of sushi/sashimi. The blade is very thin and scary sharp. It’s also only sharpened on one side which apparently makes the fish slide off the blade. I think they call it a single bevel. I haven’t used it yet, but I’m looking forward to see if it helps in getting those professional looking sushi slices.
    eddiec said:
    eddiec said:

It’s only for slicing boneless fish in the preparation of sushi/sashimi. The blade is very thin and scary sharp. It’s also only sharpened on one side which apparently makes the fish slide off the blade. I think they call it a single bevel. I haven’t used it yet, but I’m looking forward to see if it helps in getting those professional looking sushi slices.
    Ahhh. I didn’t realize that obviously. That’s awesome. Where do you live again? Where do you get your fish?
    eddiec said:
    eddiec said:

Ahhh. I didn’t realize that obviously. That’s awesome. Where do you live again? Where do you get your fish?
    I live on the west coast Ireland. Fresh fish on my doorstep but unfortunately most North Atlantic fish aren’t suitable to eat raw. In the summer we get wild blue fin tuna but in the winter a few of my local fish mongers get sushi grade tuna imported from the med.  

eddiec said:
    eddiec said:
    eddiec said:

I live on the west coast Ireland. Fresh fish on my doorstep but unfortunately most North Atlantic fish aren’t suitable to eat raw. In the summer we get wild blue fin tuna but in the winter a few of my local fish mongers get sushi grade tuna imported from the med.  

I thought so. I’ve never done raw fish myself. I’d like to give t a go sometime. Am sure some of the fish guys around here have sushi grade or can get it. 
    edited March 2019
    Has been voted best in South Jersey, best in Jersey, and best in Philly area.  Lots of different publications have these "awards" but that typically means they are rock solid.
    In this case....yes.  think it holds up to most any steak I have had
    Their roast pork is not as good, though

Chicks Deli, cheesesteak w/onions and peppers.
    Excellent.

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    That looks good!
    I've been making my own lately because nobody around here can do it right.
    How do you cook the steak?  
    I can make a killer ckickensteak but my cheesesteak is average.
    How do you cook the steak?  
    I can make a killer ckickensteak but my cheesesteak is average.
    I buy a packaged brand (don't know the name off the top of my head) of thin shaved beef at walmart.  It's like paper thin.
    I just salt the fuck out of it (the key to a good steak sammich, IMO) and toss it in with my peps and onions when they are almost done.  As soon as it gets soupy from the bloody juices leaving the meat I drain those drippings off and return it to high heat to get a hard sear.  Provolone melted on top, sometimes some Amish pepper cheese.

We like a heavy slather of Hellman's mayo on the roll but I suppose some wouldn't.
    Not a mayo guy but that sounds good
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    I could go for a good cheesesteak. Tough to find one in the Twin Cities though.

Knocked out cabbage roll hot dish tonight. Basically cabbage rolls, minus all the putzy work of rolling them. Also realized I’m going to eat a shit ton of cabbage this week with St. Pats this weekend.
    Happy Irish day