The Food Thread

Comments

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    eddiec said:
    I'm attempting a Pho with duck legs.
    Better than duck lips!

Hobbes, how do you do the choke? :giggle:

We used to get from this place that would steam then grill it, served with a garlic aoli.

SO GOOD. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    rgambs said:
    MF117973 said:
    Looks great.
    What did you do for the chips?
    Thanks. The chips were super easy. I sliced a potato (skin on) very thin using a mandoline slicer. If you don't have one, you can slice by hand, but it is harder to get them as thin - so they may not come out crispy. Then I dried the potato slices off with a paper towel. If they are wet, they tend to steam more than crisp up. I sprayed a baking sheet with olive oil and put the slices on (don't overlap them), and then sprayed olive oil all over the slices and sprinkled with smoked paprika (you can put on whatever seasoning you like) - bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes - then flip them over and bake another 5-10 minutes (depending on how thick they are) - just keep an eye on them. I let them go a bit longer since I like those extra crunchy brown parts. Add salt or more seasoning if you want - and eat. They are really good - and since they are baked they are better for you.

Tomorrow I am going to try homemade tortillas. I don't expect as much of a triumph. I actually bought a package of tortillas as backup. I am a fairly good cook but have very little confidence in myself for anything that even resembles a baked good (except for boxed cake and brownie mixes). I once tried to make olive bread. That loaf came out so hard it could have been used to give someone blunt force trauma :s

Did you make sure to get corn tortillas?  It does not work at all with flour tortillas.  I had to get some fancy schmancy "street taco wraps" from a different store once, and they were 75% corn 25% flour...even that 25% rendered them inedible.

Chips and chop, yummmmm!
    Thanks for the tip. But I am not making tortilla chips. I am actually going to try to make tortilla wraps for my fajitas. I am going to try to make flour ones. I don’t have corn meal. I will try the homemade tortillas chips another time. Yours looked great. 
    So what's everybody cooking today? I've got a butt on the smoker, making buns for the first time, homemade ice cream in the freezer, and a watermelon that I'm hoping is halfway decent. Plus, the weather couldn't be any better for a Saturday smoke.
    Looks like a lot of people are cooking today. We should have some good photos tonight. I am making fajitas. Got my skirt steak defrosting and about to whip up a marinade. Will fry up some onions and peppers. Roasted corn on the cob on the side. My only bummer is living in NYC I have no grill which would make the steak much more flavorful. I am going to do my best searing it in cast iron. Also going to try to make the tortilla wraps from scratch. But have a package of backup tortillas if I manage to screw that up. 
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,989
    Only benefit to buying some extra turkeys!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,080
    Oh, balls.  That looks so frigging good.
    You are going to be eating that for a week.

I love love love artichokes.  We made some great ones in mid April.  A bit small but they were super

Steam all the way but I would like to hear how others prepare who love the chokes.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Also I've never made Pho, but I love eating it.
    Look forward to seeing the pics of that!
    Oh, balls.  That looks so frigging good.
    You are going to be eating that for a week.

I love love love artichokes.  We made some great ones in mid April.  A bit small but they were super

Steam all the way but I would like to hear how others prepare who love the chokes.
    Yeah, I'm actually going to pull a majority of it for tacos, BBQ pulled Turkey nachos...use it for a bunch of stuff.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069

Sneak peek. This was at hour 4. Right now, I'm sitting at 160, just at the edge of the stall I'm guessing. I'll wrap it in foil once it starts cooling, will run it until about 10° from my target and then take the foil off just to firm up the bark again. Then, a 45 minute rest and begin pulling 
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859

Sneak peek. This was at hour 4. Right now, I'm sitting at 160, just at the edge of the stall I'm guessing. I'll wrap it in foil once it starts cooling, will run it until about 10° from my target and then take the foil off just to firm up the bark again. Then, a 45 minute rest and begin pulling 
    Damn. That looks great.

Looking good brotha!
    You all with your grills and your smokers are making me jealous. Do you think anyone would notice if I set something up on my fire escape 🤫
    MF117973 said:
    You all with your grills and your smokers are making me jealous. Do you think anyone would notice if I set something up on my fire escape 🤫
    Just dress it up as a Buddha shrine and then argue that you are burning alms and that it just happens to smell like hickory and cooked meat. Can't get you on a religious thing, right? 😂
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Good god that all looks so good.

MF, definitely post pics of your finished product, would love to see the tortillas

• deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    MF117973 said:
    They have smokeless indoor grills, but I'm thinking that might not give the same result. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    MF117973 said:
    When I lived in an apt in Columbus I had a little hibachi grill and I would use it behind the dumpster 🤷‍♂️
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Nothing like food and dumpsters....a great pairing, lol!

....and the finish!  

The Numbers
    -10-lb pork butt
    -Chupacabra Seasoning Rub/Mustard
    -275° chamber temp (measured at the grate level)
    -Mix of hickory and cherry (9 splits in total)
    -Stall reached at hour six (160° before dipping back to 158°)
    -Wrapped in foil with an apple cider vinegar/apple juice/Worcestershire Sauce/red pepper flakes (saved at end for finishing sauce
    -Finishing Temp: 202°
    -Rested one hour before pulling
    -10 total hours (9 in the chamber, 1 for resting)
    Oh that looks nice.  Do you get lots of juice from that or not like roasting?
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    edited May 2020

....and the finish!  

The Numbers
    -10-lb pork butt
    -Wrapped in foil with an apple cider vinegar/apple juice/Worcestershire Sauce/red pepper flakes (saved at end for finishing sauce
    Impressive. That's some serious dedication to a cut of meat. Hats off.
    Oh that looks nice.  Do you get lots of juice from that or not like roasting?
    It's pretty juicy on its own and very tender. Because I have to wrap it in foil once the meat hits the stall, whenever I pull it, I save the leftover juices and use it as a finishing sauce which brings a lot more moisture and flavor to the meat. I'll also use the finishing sauce whenever I bag it up to freeze it so when I pull it to reheat I won't lose a lot of moisture that you usually get from leftover pork.
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    See the source image
    Hobbes said:
    See the source image
    My 4 y/o son came running in while I was shredding the pork and yelled "ARE THOSE WOLVERINE CLAWS? THAT'S....AWESOME!"  I guess he never paid attention before.

....and the finish!  

The Numbers
    -10-lb pork butt
    Wow. Just wow. That looks so good. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Damn, I'm gonna have to earn an eyeroll from the old lady for buying another butt lol
    Looks delicious

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434

....and the finish!  

The Numbers
    -10-lb pork butt
    Yum! 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    My adventure in making tortillas

Didn’t have a rolling pin so I used a bottle blueberry liquor that I got in Iceland 4 years ago. At least it was good for something. 

Here is my first one cooking. 

Finished product. They look good. Easy to make but not really worth the effort when it is so easy to buy them. But what else do I have to do today. 
    edited May 2020
    They look great 
    Better than my last attempt.  When I have them fresh in the restaurants in LA I love to eat at they are so amazing.  If I could make them 1/2 as good I would be thrilled.

Nothing fancy, but still very tasty.  Minute pork chops, corn, and leftover fried rice.

No pics. My phone was charging but did lamb burgers with tzatziki and grilled cauliflower. Not too shabby 
    Good tzatziki is bomb