Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    Chili and Stew.  Always better, for my money, plus one day.
    Agreed. It needs to hang out to get happy. 

:lol: 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited April 2020
    Tonight I'm making butternut squash carbonara.
    It's one of my very favorite meals, so I'm excited already.  There's something alchemical about the way winter squash transforms when combined with onions, garlic, peppers, and salt.  It's magic.
    The squash, peppers, and garlic are from last year's garden, so it has that extra-special aspect to it.

Here's a rough rundown of the recipe...
    1 med-large squash
    Pasta of choice, I prefer penne rigati/mezze penne/mostacolli. Match the sturdiness of the pasta to desired thickness of sauce
    1 large onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1-2 cups or so of diced peppers, sweet and hot blend is best
    1lb bacon
    Chicken broth/bouillon
    1/2-1 cup Heavy cream
    Parmesan cheese
    Salt 
    Pepper 
    Pinch of Nutmeg

The squash can be peeled, cubed, and sauteed with the bacon and veggies, or you can bake it and scoop the squash out of the skin. The second way is easier, but the first produces more flavor on day 1.  The leftovers are like chili, the flavor all sets together to make it better.  
    Either way, you fry up the veggies and the bacon, and you put half the bacon in the food processor with the squash to blend it through the "sauce" with the broth and heavy cream. The peppers and onions can be blended through or left in pieces, I prefer to blend it all through, as the flavors all meld together better than way.  Dress with parmesan to taste.
    The simplicity of the ingredient list does not come close to adding up to the flavor they produce in the finished product, which I why I say it's alchemy.  I like it thick and pasty, not too saucy, but that is something you can easily customize.  I like it spicy and salty as well.  The important part is onions, peppers, and squash together.  Bacon too, but it would be delicious even without.
    I usually add some chicken chunks for the protein and to give me something to chew on so I don't eat too fast.  Garlic bread on the side is always a good choice.

If anyone is looking for something different to make that isn't too fancy, give it a try!
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,458
    rgambs said:
    It's one of my very favorite meals, so I'm excited already.  There's something alchemical about the way winter squash transforms when combined with onions, garlic, peppers, and salt.  It's magic.
    The squash, peppers, and garlic are from last year's garden, so it has that extra-special aspect to it.

1 med-large squash
    Pasta of choice, I prefer penne rigati/mezze penne/mostacolli. Match the sturdiness of the pasta to desired thickness of sauce
    1 large onion
    2 cloves garlic
    2 cups or so of peppers, sweet and hot blend is best
    1lb bacon
    Chicken broth/bouillon
    1/2-1 cup Heavy cream
    Parmesan cheese
    Salt 
    Pepper 
    Pinch of Nutmeg

The squash can be peeled, cubed, and sauteed with the bacon and veggies, or you can bake it and scoop the squash out of the skin. The second way is easier, but the first produces more flavor on day 1.  The leftovers are like chili, the flavor all sets together to make it better.  
    Either way, you fry up the veggies and the bacon, and you put half the bacon in the food processor with the squash to blend it through the "sauce" with the broth and heavy cream. The peppers and onions can be blended through or left in pieces, I prefer to blend it all through, as the flavors all meld together better than way.  Dress with parmesan to taste.
    The simplicity of the ingredient list does not come close to adding up to the flavor they produce in the finished product, which I why I say it's alchemy.  I like it thick and pasty, not too saucy, but that is something you can easily customize.  I like it spicy and salty as well.  The important part is onions, peppers, and squash together.  Bacon too, but it would be delicious even without.
    I usually add some chicken chunks for the protein and to give me something to chew on so I don't eat too fast.  Garlic bread on the side is always a good choice.

If anyone is looking for something different to make that isn't too fancy, give it a try!
    That sounds great.

Tonight I am having....chili again. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    rgambs said:

1 med-large squash
    1 large onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1lb bacon
    Chicken broth/bouillon
    1/2-1 cup Heavy cream
    Parmesan cheese
    Salt 
    Pepper 
    Pinch of Nutmeg

That sounds fabulous! I am the only one in the house who could eat it but I would happily enjoy it. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

I watched a video yesterday on how to make polenta. Not difficult, but surprisingly time intensive. Had some in Boston the last we visited. Didn't knock my socks off, but the video did teach me why it was $18 for an inch of polenta at the bottom of a cereal bowl with three tiny meatballs that looked like they rolled out of a Chef Boyardee can. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:

1 med-large squash
    1 large onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1lb bacon
    Chicken broth/bouillon
    1/2-1 cup Heavy cream
    Parmesan cheese
    Salt 
    Pepper 
    Pinch of Nutmeg

That sounds fabulous! I am the only one in the house who could eat it but I would happily enjoy it. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

I watched a video yesterday on how to make polenta. Not difficult, but surprisingly time intensive. Had some in Boston the last we visited. Didn't knock my socks off, but the video did teach me why it was $18 for an inch of polenta at the bottom of a cereal bowl with three tiny meatballs that looked like they rolled out of a Chef Boyardee can. 
    Nonsense. I grew up dirt poor on polenta--only we called it mush. You got hosed.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Hosed in Boston.

Gambs, that sounds good.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:

1 med-large squash
    1 large onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1lb bacon
    Chicken broth/bouillon
    1/2-1 cup Heavy cream
    Parmesan cheese
    Salt 
    Pepper 
    Pinch of Nutmeg

Nonsense. I grew up dirt poor on polenta--only we called it mush. You got hosed.
    Yeah. It was a teeny, maybe 10 top, Italian place in some Boston alley.  I was not at all impressed. 

I was just trying to make myself feel better about the $18 polenta. There goes DK-- squashed, like a bug. 

To note, we did not pick the place. (We never do. My brother-in-law does.) It was my sister-in-law's night before carb load for the marathon. 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,204
    rgambs said:

1 med-large squash
    1 large onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1lb bacon
    Chicken broth/bouillon
    1/2-1 cup Heavy cream
    Parmesan cheese
    Salt 
    Pepper 
    Pinch of Nutmeg

Sounds delicious. Unfortunately, while my mouth loves a good cream sauce, my stomach does not :s

• Options

• Options
    You could definitely leave the heavy cream out.  Of course, it wouldn't be as creamy then lol
    I've made it without before and it's still good. 
    It's still good if you just toss the saute through the pasta too without blending it into a sauce. 
    It's just that combo of squash, peppers, and onions...
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    That looks very very good
  • Options
    Yeah, except my garlic bread never makes it to my plate intact lol

Thanks Cliffy!

PS, the garlic bread is Cole's brand and it's pretty top-notch as far as freezer garlic bread goes.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Fooood
    Looks great
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,368
    rgambs said:

Thanks Cliffy!

PS, the garlic bread is Cole's brand and it's pretty top-notch as far as freezer garlic bread goes.
    You mentioned last years harvest, were the squash, peppers and onions pickled?  Canned?  Rotten?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Thanks Cliffy!

You mentioned last years harvest, were the squash, peppers and onions pickled?  Canned?  Rotten?

Squash and peppers came out of the deep freeze.  Garlic is just shelf-dried, onions don't last long.  This year I'm going to dry a bunch and grind up onion powder because I lose 10-20 lbs to rot through the fall every year.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Thanks Cliffy!

Squash and peppers came out of the deep freeze.  Garlic is just shelf-dried, onions don't last long.  This year I'm going to dry a bunch and grind up onion powder because I lose 10-20 lbs to rot through the fall every year.
    Dehydrate? 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Thanks Cliffy!

Dehydrate? 
    Yeah, that's the plan for this year. I planted about half of what I usually do, but I usually lose half or more anyways, so if I can keep them in better shape I should come out even.

• Options
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Thanks Cliffy!

Dehydrate? 
    Yeah, that's the plan for this year. I planted about half of what I usually do, but I usually lose half or more anyways, so if I can keep them in better shape I should come out even.
    Okay. I re-read it and know that you are drying and pulverizing, but would you want to keep some back and not grind all of them up? I know I have purchased mixes and seasoning that had dehydrated onion and not just the powder. 

What type of onions do you grow?

Seeds or sets? 

The family who owns Blessing Acres Produce (Millersburg) told me the onion seeds are very small and onions are pretty heavy feeders. We buy the best sweet candy onions from them. But just looked. Apparently they don't store as well as some other varieties. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Thanks Cliffy!

Dehydrate? 
    Okay. I re-read it and know that you are drying and pulverizing, but would you want to keep some back and not grind all of them up? I know I have purchased mixes and seasoning that had dehydrated onion and not just the powder. 

What type of onions do you grow?

Seeds or sets? 

The family who owns Blessing Acres Produce (Millersburg) told me the onion seeds are very small and onions are pretty heavy feeders. We buy the best sweet candy onions from them. But just looked. Apparently they don't store as well as some other varieties. 
    Sets, I do a variety of white, yellow, and reds.
    I'll probably grind some course, some fine, and leave some chopped.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,932
    Breakfast for dinner.  Looks crappy but tastes good.  Egg white omelette with spinach and green pepper (usually use red and yellow pepper too but low on veggies).  Pepper, cayenne pepper, Parmesan cheese and franks hot sauce. All on whole grain toast. 

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    You guys have a different definition of looks crappy. Looks banging 
  • Options
    Yeah that looks good
  • Options
    Yeah that looks good
    You on day 5 yet? I can’t believe you pop into a food thread during a 5 day fast. You really do like torturing yourself, don’t you? 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    bbiggs said:
    Yeah that looks good
    You on day 5 yet? I can’t believe you pop into a food thread during a 5 day fast. You really do like torturing yourself, don’t you? 
    That just came to mind.  I think today would be day 5, so perhaps FMe left himself the weekend to splurge.  But . . . if you splurge, wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose?  

FMe, Please bring us up to speed on your progress and where you are going from here.

Speaking of here, we will be enjoying what my daughter calls, "Skillet chicken."  Just some olive oil, salt, pepper and chives on chicken breast cooked on low in ye ole cast iron skillet.  Sides will be stuffing and cream corn.  (The kiddo's favorites.)  I'll throw some mushrooms in the pan and cook them a bit while the chicken is resting.  
    Post edited by deadendp on
  • Options
    That sounds awesome.  I do skillet chicken sometimes but usually put a weighted lid on top of the breasts.  I like the sear.

Day 5.  I get dinner soon.
    I have been watching cooking stuff and also cooking meals for my family all week.

Not going to change my normal habits but it can make it seem more difficult.
    When it all boils down to it, it is me against me.  If I let outside things mess with me that is my own mental weakness.
    Part of the fun!

Beef stir fry is the winner as to what I will cook and eat tonight.  Already prepped things just need to cook.  Some fresh items I don't have but you gotta make do with what you do have in the Corona Daze!
  • Options
    And, I won't splurge.  Not going on the strict diet but will be good about 8 hours (except for tomorrow, promised to eat breakfast with my son) and in general will mix in the stuff that is too bad for me, like what I was gorging on for the first 6 weeks of lockdown.

• Options
    That sounds awesome.  I do skillet chicken sometimes but usually put a weighted lid on top of the breasts.  I like the sear.

Day 5.  I get dinner soon.
    I have been watching cooking stuff and also cooking meals for my family all week.

Not going to change my normal habits but it can make it seem more difficult.
    When it all boils down to it, it is me against me.  If I let outside things mess with me that is my own mental weakness.
    Part of the fun!

Beef stir fry is the winner as to what I will cook and eat tonight.  Already prepped things just need to cook.  Some fresh items I don't have but you gotta make do with what you do have in the Corona Daze!
    We have different ideas of fun!  Joking aside, kudos to you.  You are one disciplined dude.  Enjoy the hell out of that meal tonight, as I'm sure you plan to.

• Options
    For sure, thanks!
  • Options
    Beef fried rice

Took me three sessions to get through my one serving 
    Damn tasty, though!

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,204
    Beef fried rice

Took me three sessions to get through my one serving 
    Damn tasty, though!

That looks delicious. Very colorful. A good meal to break your fast.