Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    It all looks great to me

I'm on day 3 of a 5 day fast.  Nothing but water

I would eat a piece of bark and like it, right about now.

Need to plan something bomb for Friday dinner when I break fast.

Sometimes the stuff that tastes the best looks less than the best
    The sauce, the bread, the eggs Benedict DK all looked great and hearing that they tasted great makes them better still.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,932
    It all looks great to me

The sauce, the bread, the eggs Benedict DK all looked great and hearing that they tasted great makes them better still.

Damn man. That’s rough. Good luck! 
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    I meant to ask this before and Phil Mickelson posted that he does something similar.  Is that healthy?  How do you have any energy?
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,847
    edited April 2020

I was sorting through some old photos. Came across this gem from a trip to the Basque Country. 
    Edit: I may have posted it before. Can't remember.
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    I meant to ask this before and Phil Mickelson posted that he does something similar.  Is that healthy?  How do you have any energy?
    I’m curious of the health benefits as well if it’s not going to derail the thread. I’m sure there must be some. I could probably handle a juice cleansing, but 5 days with only water would test my will power in a big way. 
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    bbiggs said:
    I’m curious of the health benefits as well if it’s not going to derail the thread. I’m sure there must be some. I could probably handle a juice cleansing, but 5 days with only water would test my will power in a big way. 
    I admit that I would be beyond crabby. My husband would probably file for a divorce. 

Day 3 of 5? :bow: 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,547
    It all looks great to me

bbiggs said:
    I'm curious too.

5 Days with NO food? I don't think I could do that either. I've gotten light-headed when I went Hours with no food so I can't Imagine 5 days !
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802

bbiggs said:

deadendp said:
    bbiggs said:
    I admit that I would be beyond crabby. My husband would probably file for a divorce. 

Yeah, it is something I learned of almost 2 years ago.  My Vistage group had a speaker who was a nutritionist/health expert.
    There are a lot of them, and many have different takes.
    His clicked with me.
    He turned to his lifestyle (8 hour windows, pretty extreme limitation on what he would put in his body, monthly fasts, etc) after they took strong measures to try and find a cure for his wife, who was in a stage 4 cancer treatment and was told by every doctor all of the way to the Mayo that they were SOL.  She came back from it and he attributed it to diet and fasting.
    I am not saying I buy into all of that...but he struck a nerve.

His fast was a 5 day, nothing but water, fast.  I was one of 2-3 guys in our group who thought it sounded crazy -- and to me, that means I usually want to try it.
    We agreed to give it a go shortly after and I do it 1x per quarter. 
    I do a decent job of following the 8 hour food window on a regular basis and for about 6 months I followed the strict food regiment.  (No bread, no milk/cheese from an animal bigger than we are)
    Also adopted some of his other methods.  (I was remiss in saying the diet helped his wife, in his opinion, alone....there were like 8 steps he followed having to do with stress levels, sleep, sunlight...lots of stuff.  Happy to share if anyone is genuinely interested, I have info.)

Anyway.....
    The 5 day fast is a bitch.  I started doing it as a challenge, and now I know I can so it is actually harder to do, which I like.
    Exercise during the 5 days is a holy bitch.  I sat in bed this morning at 545 and stared at the clock.  I did not want to get up and go run.
    But, I did.
    (I also was about 2 minutes slower on my miles)

Anyone can do it.  A number of folks I know tried after I told them.  A few couldn't hang but some did.
    My sister, who is a Spartan TriFecta beast, could not hang.

Day 3 is always the worst.  I have to go and mow the lawn this evening.  I so do not want to do it.

Usually lose around 10-15 pounds, and I usually put almost all of it back on in 2-3 days. 

Gross item -- you still go #2 through 4-5 days w/o eating any food.  After eating your body (at least my body) holds onto the food and you go another number of days w/o #2.

I love the test of my willpower.  If you know me well, you know I fuck with myself constantly.  Also in the middle of a no drinking 30 day stretch.  (Just because.)  This is a fun way to really focus, and I believe it helps my body clean out all of the bad shit.  I am not a doctor, I don't play one on TV, and for what it is worth one of my best friends is a doctor and he thinks I am a loon.

Hey, only 2 days to go!

(22 more until I can drink.)
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Strength and discipline- tenfold! I’m impressed every time you do this. 
  • Options

bbiggs said:

deadendp said:
    bbiggs said:

Yeah, it is something I learned of almost 2 years ago.  My Vistage group had a speaker who was a nutritionist/health expert.
    There are a lot of them, and many have different takes.
    His clicked with me.
    He turned to his lifestyle (8 hour windows, pretty extreme limitation on what he would put in his body, monthly fasts, etc) after they took strong measures to try and find a cure for his wife, who was in a stage 4 cancer treatment and was told by every doctor all of the way to the Mayo that they were SOL.  She came back from it and he attributed it to diet and fasting.
    I am not saying I buy into all of that...but he struck a nerve.

His fast was a 5 day, nothing but water, fast.  I was one of 2-3 guys in our group who thought it sounded crazy -- and to me, that means I usually want to try it.
    We agreed to give it a go shortly after and I do it 1x per quarter. 
    I do a decent job of following the 8 hour food window on a regular basis and for about 6 months I followed the strict food regiment.  (No bread, no milk/cheese from an animal bigger than we are)
    Also adopted some of his other methods.  (I was remiss in saying the diet helped his wife, in his opinion, alone....there were like 8 steps he followed having to do with stress levels, sleep, sunlight...lots of stuff.  Happy to share if anyone is genuinely interested, I have info.)

Anyway.....
    The 5 day fast is a bitch.  I started doing it as a challenge, and now I know I can so it is actually harder to do, which I like.
    Exercise during the 5 days is a holy bitch.  I sat in bed this morning at 545 and stared at the clock.  I did not want to get up and go run.
    But, I did.
    (I also was about 2 minutes slower on my miles)

Anyone can do it.  A number of folks I know tried after I told them.  A few couldn't hang but some did.
    My sister, who is a Spartan TriFecta beast, could not hang.

Day 3 is always the worst.  I have to go and mow the lawn this evening.  I so do not want to do it.

Usually lose around 10-15 pounds, and I usually put almost all of it back on in 2-3 days. 

Gross item -- you still go #2 through 4-5 days w/o eating any food.  After eating your body (at least my body) holds onto the food and you go another number of days w/o #2.

I love the test of my willpower.  If you know me well, you know I fuck with myself constantly.  Also in the middle of a no drinking 30 day stretch.  (Just because.)  This is a fun way to really focus, and I believe it helps my body clean out all of the bad shit.  I am not a doctor, I don't play one on TV, and for what it is worth one of my best friends is a doctor and he thinks I am a loon.

Hey, only 2 days to go!

(22 more until I can drink.)
    Wow. And again I :bow: .
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,368
    I wouldn't advise that fasting if you're a diabetic.

My uncle tried becoming a "Breatharian"  He almost died.
  • Options
    Luckily I'm not diabetic.  :)
  • Options
    Luckily I'm not diabetic.  :)
    No shit Sherlock, you wouldn't be telling us if you were, lol.

Now go mow the damn lawn!!!
  • Options
    Caffeine. If I am without morning caffeine, I get a headache. 

Tea is good, but it is not water. For that alone I would fail. 
  • Options
    Could I still smoke crack?
  • Options
    Yes.  
    Always
  • Options
    F Me, crazy stuff. I tip my cap to you. I’m also the kind of guy that likes to push myself and do everything I’m told I cannot do or think I can’t do, so this intrigues me, but I’m not going to pretend that I’m doing it anytime soon.  Question. What are you referring to with the 8 hour widow? Simply meaning you only eat within an 8 hour window each day, when not fasting? 
  • Options
    Yeah the standard eating window is 8 hours.
    Eat lunch at noon, no food after 8pm.

• Options
    Intermittent Fasting.  Lots of people do that nowadays...a proper fad.
  • Options
    Yeah the standard eating window is 8 hours.
    Eat lunch at noon, no food after 8pm.

That would suck too.  I don't think I go 8 hours without eating in a 24 hour day.  :lol:
  • Options
    I could do the 8 hour only thing. I come close to that each quarantine day anyhow. I'm probably at the 9 hour mark tops. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,458
    Corona Chili, left over from last night. Chili’s always better the day after in my opinion

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Chili and Stew.  Always better, for my money, plus one day.
  • Options
    Agreed. It needs to hang out to get happy. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    deadendp said:
    Agreed. It needs to hang out to get happy. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Does anybody else make chili the day before it's on the menu for that reason?
    We do.
    Chili is the first real thing I learned to cook, when I was in 5th grade.  I took it very seriously for a number of years lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I did it the last time I made stew.  Wife thought I was crazy but it was so good.
  • Options
    I do that when making gingerbread cookies. The dough needs to sit for at least 24 hours for the spices to properly marry.  When making Christmas cookies, gingerbread is the first dough I make and the last dough I bake. 
  • Options
    Like proofing your pizza dough!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,458
    I have always intended on making a day earlier but never remember to actually do it. Next time!
    chinese-happy.jpg