Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Oh boy.  I would like to see the pics once cooked and then served.  Beautiful!
    If all goes well, I definitely will. 
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    hedonist said:
    There used to be a German deli in South Central LA that served my dad sausages just like home. Good god they were amazing!

We stopped going once the gangs took over. 
    You know, gangs have to make a living to. Shame on you.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,930

Good morning to those in the States and, elsewhere, good day. This is how mine is shaping up. Temps at 275, using a mix of pecan and cherry, around 14-15 lbs trimmed and on at 5:18 this morning. Now just going to sit here for the next 12-14 hours. Hope you all have a good one today.
    Looks awesome dude! I'm throwing one on tomorrow before we get rained out here on Sunday.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    This thread is going friggen strong right now. 
  • Options
    Yeah it is! Your Ahi should be at your doorstep pretty soon, right?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Says by 4:30!  Got the whetstone out last night and went to work on the knife.  Like christmas morning.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    I'm out of Seriously Sharp.
    This cannot stand.  On reordering, decided to add some friends to the box.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    Cabot Cheese = my childhood.  

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Cabot Seriously Sharp ruins all other cheddars, you can't eat any other after you get used to it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

Good morning to those in the States and, elsewhere, good day. This is how mine is shaping up. Temps at 275, using a mix of pecan and cherry, around 14-15 lbs trimmed and on at 5:18 this morning. Now just going to sit here for the next 12-14 hours. Hope you all have a good one today.
    Looks awesome dude! I'm throwing one on tomorrow before we get rained out here on Sunday.
    Yeah, my original plan had been to smoke on Easter, but it's also supposed to rain here on Sunday so I decided since I'm off today I may as well.
  • Options
    The plus side is that as sharp as it is, it practically never molds, and even unrefrigerated it lasts, you just shave off the rind and the inside is creamy good.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    The plus side is that as sharp as it is, it practically never molds, and even unrefrigerated it lasts, you just shave off the rind and the inside is creamy good.
    When I lived in CA I always ordered large blocks (at that point it was almost unseen in the grocery stores ..now that I am closer to VT, in NJ, it is readily available in stores) and you are so right.  Even if I took a break that shit would be there waiting for me.  
    They used to call it Hunters Cheese.  Are you an old school Cabot fan?
    Being so close to where they made it, it was just the standard.  Never knew until I moved away that it was super cheese 
  • Options

Yeah, my original plan had been to smoke on Easter, but it's also supposed to rain here on Sunday so I decided since I'm off today I may as well.
    Just saw your in Loganville, not too far from ya.
    Yeah, suppose to be nasty Sunday. I should have fired up the smoker today instead of tomorrow.
  • Options
    Says by 4:30!  Got the whetstone out last night and went to work on the knife.  Like christmas morning.
    Dude, it's gonna be awesome. Glad you pulled the trigger. We have a little more than 1/2lb left. Sashimi tonight to kill it, I'll remember to take pics this time.
  • Options
    Half a pound of sashimi?
    That is badass.  
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:
    There used to be a German deli in South Central LA that served my dad sausages just like home. Good god they were amazing!

We stopped going once the gangs took over. 
    You know, gangs have to make a living to. Shame on you.
    Yeah, we felt pretty bad for those irascible rascals. Impressive guns, though!
  • Options
    Half a pound of sashimi?
    That is badass.  
    LOL, Its a lot, but the section I have left is too good to do anything with other than sashimi. My wife and I are going to have a little for lunch then kill it with our dinner. 
  • Options
    Envious!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    When I lived in CA I always ordered large blocks (at that point it was almost unseen in the grocery stores ..now that I am closer to VT, in NJ, it is readily available in stores) and you are so right.  Even if I took a break that shit would be there waiting for me.  
    They used to call it Hunters Cheese.  Are you an old school Cabot fan?
    Being so close to where they made it, it was just the standard.  Never knew until I moved away that it was super cheese 
    I am a recent convert, read about it on a backpacking forum in 2012 and recognized that I had just seen it in the grocery store, so I bought the small, waxpaper block and was instantly hooked.  
    My local Walmart carries the 2lb block, only place around that has it.  I hate going to Walmart, but I brave it for the Cabot.
    We actually tried the Habanero first, and we very impressed that we could buy a cheese with some actual heat.
  • Options

Yeah, suppose to be nasty Sunday. I should have fired up the smoker today instead of tomorrow.
    Honestly, this wind is making it tough so tomorrow may turn out to be a better choice. I've been fighting temps all morning.
  • Options
    I smoke in my garage so I don't need to worry about weather.  My electric smoker gets a bit too hot I think?, I have to foil wrap or everything dries out fast. With foil, I can't get a good rind, but tender smoked meat is good even without that delicious, delicious rind.
    I'm going to monitor the temperature today, see if that's what's happening.

• Options

Honestly, this wind is making it tough so tomorrow may turn out to be a better choice. I've been fighting temps all morning.
    Yeah, wind is crazy today. Tomorrow is looking like the better choice. Hopefully the wind dies down soon.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I smoke in my garage so I don't need to worry about weather.  My electric smoker gets a bit too hot I think?, I have to foil wrap or everything dries out fast. With foil, I can't get a good rind, but tender smoked meat is good even without that delicious, delicious rind.

What temp are you running it at?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I've never used an electric smoker. My wife got me the offset two years ago after years of wanting one. Either way, smoked meat is smoked meat. It's great no matter how it's made. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:

What temp are you running it at?
    It's old and just has a heating element.  I've never checked how hot it runs, but I have been thinking and researching and I think I know some of the problems I've had.  I'm going to check it in a few minutes.
    1.  I'm cooking too-small cuts for too long.  I've had great success with racks of ribs, whole chickens, and pork shoulders with a 4-6 hour smoke.  I don't know why I thought a 2-3lb tenderloin could survive that long at the same temperature.
    2. Going by time rather than temperature.  Ribs only ever seem to get more tender with time, but what I never thought of is how fatty they are.  So much collagen to break down, it is very forgiving.  The same rule does not apply to a chicken or a tenderloin, which have practically no fat or collagen.
    3.  I tried foil packs last time to great disaster.  They seal too completely and ended up steaming my meat into inedible bricks.

Still not sure how people get such a nice rind.  Maybe I'm not using enough wood chips?  I know the loose foil wrap is inhibiting a crust, but I've had best tenderness and juiciness results with it... I'll check back with my temperature reading soon and see if it's that, or if I'm just smoking stuff way too long.
  • Options
    I try to keep all of my cooks between 275-300 depending on the quality of meat. The lower the quality, the lower the temps. I've had good success with chicken at 275 with no drying out. As I'm not familiar with electric smoking, do you have to use a water pan inside your cooker? I run a water pan for everything except wings. 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,893
    You all are making me hungry!!!
  • Options
    Smoker is running at 232F so that's just right.  I'm just overcooking everything.  I'll cook the tenderloin to 145F and pull it and it should be good, hopefully it will have a bit of crust.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    MF117973 said:
    These pretzels are making me thirsty!
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,893
    hedonist said:
    MF117973 said:
    These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    I actually almost said that as well. Love that show.