Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    rgambs said:
    Smoker is running at 232F so that's just right.  I'm just overcooking everything.  I'll cook the tenderloin to 145F and pull it and it should be good, hopefully it will have a bit of crust.

I just went back and read that you're cooking to time. This might be what's causing your meat to dry out.  If I could, I'd suggest probing the meat for temp rather than cooking to time. There are too many variables when it comes to how meat will cook. It doesn't seem like it would, but things like humidity, air temp, the fibers of the meat itself and other things can affect how effectively your meat cooks. I cook just about everything to temp. The only ones I ever do to time are ribs and wings. Some meats will cook differently one from one cook to the next. That's why I've had some briskets take just 9 hours to cook and others take 15 hours. Anyway, food for thought.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    WHERE IS MY FISH!?!

Says it's on the truck for delivery
  • Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,930
    WHERE IS MY FISH!?!

Says it's on the truck for delivery
  • Options
    I’m trying!!!
  • Options
    Sashimi....I've had a few beers so my knife skills were not restaurant quality.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,629
    Noice!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,894
    Sashimi....I've had a few beers so my knife skills were not restaurant quality.
    Looks good. I'm not in a cooking mood tonight. I think dinner will be a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich with sweet/hot mustard - and a side of Ore-Ida crinkle cut fries. Easy peasy. But I do plan on whipping up a pot of turkey chili this weekend. I will post those photos.

• Options

Not my best. Far from my worst. Didn't get a great smoke ring, but still......brisket

• Options

Not my best. Far from my worst. Didn't get a great smoke ring, but still......brisket

Looks great bro!!
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Looks good, and looks like you retained good moisture! Did you trim the fat cap before the smoke? What internal temp did you reach before you pulled it?
    I pulled a pork loin out of the freezer, cured it for several days and smoked it. Made a nice Canadian bacon style pork for thin slicing. Made some killer paninis which I forgot to take a pic of.

Smoked a turkey, and will use some of it for a big turkey pot pie this weekend. Quarantine smoking in full effect.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options

Looks great bro!!
    It definitely was tasty but a touch on the dry side which was disappointing. My mistake was I had a work emergency that popped up out of nowhere and so I had to boot up the laptop which cost me about 30 minutes. My temps were good, but I guess I missed my window of prime moisture. Either way, it was still good and now I have plenty leftover which is great for me.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,629
    edited April 2020
    Both the brisket and smoked pork look great

So I cooked burgers for my wife and I....a cheesesteak for the 5 year old.
    He ate a few bites and said it was nasty.
    I ate the other half of his steak and it was grinding.
    Anyway, after he finishes the one half he told me that he was going to give me a bad review
    I jokingly stated that if he gave me a bad review people might not want to come to daddy's cafe.
    The little puke scampered off and came back with a note for me.

His review:

I laughed hard enough that I looked beyond his creative spelling.
    I do not like your food.
    Tough fucking critic!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    A chip off the ol' block, I'd say.  The kid'll be ordering sushi like his dad in no time :lol:

Those meals up there look meaty, beaty, big and bouncy.  Nice job!
  • Options
    Yeah that is the truth!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Can't get the picture to upload, oh well. I checked on the pork tenderloins after an hour and 10 minutes and they were already at 153, so I yanked them out right away.  Perfect, juicy, medium...no bark obviously, but damn tender.  Wifey was impressed and that's pretty rare.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

• Options
    Oh, wow.
    That looks amazing.
    How is your rice game?
  • Options
    If that were in front of my wife and I you would see a race for the sashimi, lol.  Other stuff looks good....but, damn.
    Ponzu?  Soy?  Tamari?
    Any wasabi?  (Oh the real shit, I can just eat globs if it by itself)
  • Options
    Impressive!
  • Options
    Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185
    edited April 2020
    Filipino fusion of sorts with garlic rice and black beans topped with a fried duck egg. *EDIT: damn that picture looks terrible in this format. I assure you it was delicious. 

Post edited by Long Red on
  • Options
    Eggs/beans/rice = slam dunk food.  Reliable!
  • Options

Dude, looks fucking amazing! I hope you and your wife enjoyed!
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837

Sweeeeeet!
    What type of knife did you sharpen?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    jeffbr said:

Looks good, and looks like you retained good moisture! Did you trim the fat cap before the smoke? What internal temp did you reach before you pulled it?
    I pulled a pork loin out of the freezer, cured it for several days and smoked it. Made a nice Canadian bacon style pork for thin slicing. Made some killer paninis which I forgot to take a pic of.

Smoked a turkey, and will use some of it for a big turkey pot pie this weekend. Quarantine smoking in full effect.

My apologies. Completely missed this last night.  For brisket, I usually run at 225 until the stall and then bump up to 275 for the finish after wrapping.  My finish temp was 198, but I was also going by probing it for tenderness ("like butter") which I got.  It was interesting because something I noticed after I opened the brisket from the cryovac bag was that the fat cap was not like fat caps I've run into before.  It was almost uneven (not sure if the butcher cut it this way or it was just the cut of meat, but it wasn't as uniform as I've been used to.  I trimmed the areas where the fat was thicker down to about 1/4-inch while not really touching the rest.  You can see it in the pictures.  The area where there is little fat I didn't even touch.  It wasn't bad by any means.  My last brisket cook was so amazing that my expectations were really high so, while everybody else loved it, I was slightly disappointed.  It was good though and I have plenty left over.  

I really need to do a turkey breast.  I've smoked whole turkeys but not a breast alone.  Do you brine it?  Wet or dry, and at what temp do you cook?  I may try that next because that picture looks amazing.
  • Options
    The last turkey breast I did was absolutely delicious.  You can really nail it without the rest of the bird fucking it up.  :lol:.  
  • Options
    Took some of the leftover brisket from yesterday (don't worry. There's plenty left) and finally did something I've always wanted to do. Made smoked brisket chili and my god is it incredible.
  • Options
    That sounds great!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,304
    Pineapple ham made our own glaze accompanied with mash & sweet potatoes, greenbeans & mushrooms with asparagus in lemon sauce , home made bread 🍞... 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    That ham is simply beautiful. Bon appetit, all!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Looks good!!!

I just got a cheap little Kentucky Legend quarter ham because it's just the 2.5 of us.  Honestly, it was better than any of the Easter hams I've had in the past 10 years.
    My MIL buys big spiral-cut hams and roasts them into jerky.  It's not really her fault so much, spiral-cut hams have to be crazy high quality to be decent.  Not a fan, I want a damn slab of ham to chew on, not some mechanically engineered sliver.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?