Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Easter gravy 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Is that a sausage or just an oddly shaped meatball?

(not a double entendre!)
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418

Got one in before the storm
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    Cool way to share!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    That's a lot of meat! 

This damn pandemic...I would love to invite some people over and smoke a big pile of meat...someday.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Is that a sausage or just an oddly shaped meatball?

(not a double entendre!)
    Sausage, meatballs and some neck bones in there.  Usually some sort of pork too, but didn't have it in the house.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    jeffbr said:

Not my best. Far from my worst. Didn't get a great smoke ring, but still......brisket

Looks good, and looks like you retained good moisture! Did you trim the fat cap before the smoke? What internal temp did you reach before you pulled it?
    I pulled a pork loin out of the freezer, cured it for several days and smoked it. Made a nice Canadian bacon style pork for thin slicing. Made some killer paninis which I forgot to take a pic of.

Smoked a turkey, and will use some of it for a big turkey pot pie this weekend. Quarantine smoking in full effect.

My apologies. Completely missed this last night.  For brisket, I usually run at 225 until the stall and then bump up to 275 for the finish after wrapping.  My finish temp was 198, but I was also going by probing it for tenderness ("like butter") which I got.  It was interesting because something I noticed after I opened the brisket from the cryovac bag was that the fat cap was not like fat caps I've run into before.  It was almost uneven (not sure if the butcher cut it this way or it was just the cut of meat, but it wasn't as uniform as I've been used to.  I trimmed the areas where the fat was thicker down to about 1/4-inch while not really touching the rest.  You can see it in the pictures.  The area where there is little fat I didn't even touch.  It wasn't bad by any means.  My last brisket cook was so amazing that my expectations were really high so, while everybody else loved it, I was slightly disappointed.  It was good though and I have plenty left over.  

I really need to do a turkey breast.  I've smoked whole turkeys but not a breast alone.  Do you brine it?  Wet or dry, and at what temp do you cook?  I may try that next because that picture looks amazing.
    Sorry for the confusion, that pic was actually of the cured pork loin. I haven't smoked just a turkey breast either. I have only smoked whole turkeys. I was thinking about doing a breast as well at some point, but I still have 3 whole turkeys in the freezer waiting in line, so it may be a while unless I break one of them down.

It sounds like you have a handle on brisket for sure. I typically pull at 203 - 205 and wrap, but like you said, the probe pushing into the meat tells the story, and it looks like you pulled it at the right time. Made my mouth water looking at it.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    rgambs said:
    That's a lot of meat! 

This damn pandemic...I would love to invite some people over and smoke a big pile of meat...someday.
    I like grilling everything in one shot. Food prep for a week and freeze the rest in oven friendly containers so I can just toss them in the oven when it is time to heat em up 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    Finishing up some gravy (!) for the farfalle.
    Ooooh yeah.

• Options
    What do we have going on here?  Sausage? Olives? 
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    What do we have going on here?  Sausage? Olives? 
    I was wondering the very same thing. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Cobb smoked kielbasa, olives, San marzanos, shallots, garlic, salt, shit ton of red pepper.  Basic but absolutely delicious.
    Let the beast simmer for a long time.  
    Finish the pasta in it - leftovers for lunch today is going to be even better.
  • Options
    I will confess to eating about a quarter of the kielbasa in small pieces while I started the sauce.
    That shit was good.
    (But, better when the spice level was kicked up)
  • Options
    Missing the fresh basil.  A smart buy at the start of this would have been a packet of seeds since basil is one of the few things I think I could actually grow based on past history.
  • Options
    Missing the fresh basil.  A smart buy at the start of this would have been a packet of seeds since basil is one of the few things I think I could actually grow based on past history.
    I have some growing in my window.  Should have told me.  I would have brought some over.  ;)
  • Options
    Next time!
  • Options
    Sounds good!  Did some andoullie sausage with pinto beans and tomatoes yesterday myself.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Bun Cha night.
    (I know it's supposed to be a 'lunch only' meal, but I can eat it for dinner any night of the week.

• Options
    eddiec said:
    Bun Cha night.
    (I know it's supposed to be a 'lunch only' meal, but I can eat it for dinner any night of the week.

That looks wonderful!
  • Options
    Awesome!
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    Bun Cha night.

Move in with me.  I'll grow whatever is needed to make that, and you can make it.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    rgambs said:
    eddiec said:
    Bun Cha night.

Move in with me.  I'll grow whatever is needed to make that, and you can make it.
    Deal =)
    Here's what you'll have to plant:
    Garlic
    Shallots
    Chilis
    Mung beans
    Lettuce (any type is fine)
    Mint
    Carrots
    Kohlrabi
    Basil
    Ginger

For the pantry/refrigerator:
    Vermicelli noodles
    Fish sauce
    Palm sugar
    Rice wine vinegar
    Caster sugar- needed for pickling the carrots
    Sea salt
    Pepper
    Chicken stock
    Star anise

And we're gonna need a pig on your farm.
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    rgambs said:
    eddiec said:
    Bun Cha night.

Deal =)
    Here's what you'll have to plant:
    Garlic
    Shallots
    Chilis
    Mung beans
    Lettuce (any type is fine)
    Mint
    Carrots
    Kohlrabi
    Basil
    Ginger

For the pantry/refrigerator:
    Vermicelli noodles
    Fish sauce
    Palm sugar
    Rice wine vinegar
    Caster sugar- needed for pickling the carrots
    Sea salt
    Pepper
    Chicken stock
    Star anise

And we're gonna need a pig on your farm.
    I haven't had pigs since I was a teenager, and I'm dying to feed a few out and get some damn dairy goats too.
    I grow about half of that stuff already...kohlrabi is so damn good.
  • Options
    Dude, all your stuff is impressive. That looks amazing 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    Corona Grilled Cheese

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ahh, shit, with Carona Pickles?
    Tough to resist 
  • Options
    Looks like a cuban. Now I want a cuban.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    It's just ham, provolone, jalapenos and some mustard. Basically all I had to work with but it was mighty tasty
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    It's just ham, provolone, jalapenos and some mustard. Basically all I had to work with but it was mighty tasty
    We all on an episode of chopped at the moment. That’s good work 
  • Options
    We all on an episode of chopped at the moment. That’s good work 
    So true.