The Food Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    eddiec said:

Braised Lamb shanks over polenta. Big ass shrimp. Those two are over a quarter pound
    What sauce did you put over the lamb?
    So what it was braised in obviously.  Onion, garlic, some diced tomato, stock, white wine, herbs, etc. Then braised it in the sauce for a few hours. The green stuff is a gremolata of rosemary, lemon zest, parsley and garlic.  Pretty good if i say so myself.
    Verdict on the buttermilk bath for the birds?
    Meh.  Not a big difference between the dry brine and this, imo.  If you have issues with drying out your bird, go for it.  
    They were grinding either way.
    Had to break out the large cast iron since we went side by side this evening.

Hmm, interesting.  When you said buttermilk, I assume it was going to be fried.

That cast iron guy is legit.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Yeah, I saw the buttermilk soak on Salt Fat Acid Heat
    I ate some of the chicken breast today with lunch and it may have been even better, cold.  Taste was great -- but vs. a dry brine that I have been using from time to time (just heavily salted w/light kosher and fridge for 24 hours) I am not sure it was worthwhile. 

That particular pan is heavy.  Very heavy.  It doesn't fit in all ovens (I brought it with me a few times when cooking for people) but the versatility of the classic iron skillet is raised a few notches when it is this large -- and you can put it on the stove-top across two different heat sources.  My wife cannot use it because she can not transfer to/from oven when fully loaded.  It is a bear but it is a utility knife that I love to own.  Think it was $40?  Was a gift.  The standard skillet was less than $20.

I am sure some of us have cabinet space filled by pricey cook ware.  You can do an awful lot with 2-3 cast iron cheapos.  (Also, they are next to impossible to damage.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I ate some of the chicken breast today with lunch and it may have been even better, cold.  Taste was great -- but vs. a dry brine that I have been using from time to time (just heavily salted w/light kosher and fridge for 24 hours) I am not sure it was worthwhile. 

That particular pan is heavy.  Very heavy.  It doesn't fit in all ovens (I brought it with me a few times when cooking for people) but the versatility of the classic iron skillet is raised a few notches when it is this large -- and you can put it on the stove-top across two different heat sources.  My wife cannot use it because she can not transfer to/from oven when fully loaded.  It is a bear but it is a utility knife that I love to own.  Think it was $40?  Was a gift.  The standard skillet was less than $20.

I am sure some of us have cabinet space filled by pricey cook ware.  You can do an awful lot with 2-3 cast iron cheapos.  (Also, they are next to impossible to damage.)

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    dankind said:

Drop that pan on rambo's foot.  Watch what happens.  :)
  • NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454

Braised Lamb shanks over polenta. Big ass shrimp. Those two are over a quarter pound
    Ohhh fuck yeah. It just moved!!
    Killed some meatballs this evening.  

Rose's Special
    Only ate half and am stuffed

Sandwiches are a fucking religion around here

This beauty had prosciutto, capicola, regular provolone, sharp provolone, soppressata, and roasted red peppers

The 4 yr old got a bacon egg and cheese and could only finish half, as well.

• BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    Rose's Special
    Only ate half and am stuffed

Sandwiches are a fucking religion around here

This beauty had prosciutto, capicola, regular provolone, sharp provolone, soppressata, and roasted red peppers

The 4 yr old got a bacon egg and cheese and could only finish half, as well.

Both look very delicious!
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    Roasted chicken kinda Sunday 
    edited December 2018
    I know many are fans of this show.
    Quite possibly the, ummm, least intelligent person that Sean has had on the show.  Good thing for her that she looks good and can sing.  She missed on a whole bunch of words and -- best part -- she went on a show eating fucking hot wings when having a black pepper allergy. 
    :tired_face: 

South philly barbacoa bitches

Oooh man 
    Maybe tomorrow
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I tried watermelon with feta and a crack of black pepper yesterday. Interesting.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I've been watching Jamie Olivers cooking with the nonnas show. Want his Italian cookbook now.
    Need to try making my own pasta. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Four year old asked for waffles again this am

Decided to break out one of the family gifts a bit early.

Wow, beats the hell out of pancakes!

Ha I made pancakes for the niece this morning. Those look much better.

Also, I have stated my preference for flour tortillas, but these south Philly barbacoa guys are on another level 
    Gotta be corn if given the choice!
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436
    Made a nice pumpkin soup with white bean and black kale last night 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited December 2018
    I tried watermelon with feta and a crack of black pepper yesterday. Interesting.
    Add ripped pieces of basil and balsamic to that and you have a masterpiece.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Classic American comfort meal tonight.
    Red sauce meatloaf, mashed taters, roasted sprouts. 

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited December 2018
    In my book Classic American comfort food has to include Mac and cheese or pastina if you have Italian roots. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    I have had Mac and cheese 3 separate times in the last 8 days. I feel like poop
    edited December 2018
    Went out to dinner tonight after doing the stupid Mall Santa thing with the kids

The Sea Bass was good but the 4 year old's side of Mac N Cheese was the best thing on the table.

Suckered into 2 apps and 3 desserts.  Frigging wife is as bad as the kids!

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I'm not the biggest Mac and cheese can, not that I don't like it, but it's not high on my list.
    I had a macaroni pie in Barbados on our honeymoon that basically ruined macky chee for me by being so delicious that nothing compared favorabfav.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    mcgruff10 said:
    Add ripped pieces of basil and balsamic to that and you have a masterpiece.  
    I tried mint the other day.
    Finding it hard to find preserved lemons anywhere. Need them for a Moroccan tagine dish.
    Four year old asked for waffles again this am

Decided to break out one of the family gifts a bit early.

Wow, beats the hell out of pancakes!

Gotta get me a waffle maker, looks yummy F me. 
    Having some friends over for dinner Friday and I’m going to make a braised beef check ragu with some home made fedichin.
    Should turn out good, I hope.  
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I know many are fans of this show.
    Quite possibly the, ummm, least intelligent person that Sean has had on the show.  Good thing for her that she looks good and can sing.  She missed on a whole bunch of words and -- best part -- she went on a show eating fucking hot wings when having a black pepper allergy. 
    :tired_face: 

I haven't watched this one.  Weird Al is on tomorrow's episode!