The Food Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Wierd Al fucking rules, can't wait to see that one!

Beef Cheek Ragu?  Sounds great! 

Turkeys -- so how are people preparing their Turkeys for Christmas?

Going to do a dry brine this year -- I really love it when tried on chickens so am imagining the same success w/Turkey.  Kosher salt on/under skin - lots of it.  2-3 days in the fridge.  Roast in the oven. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436
    Haven’t tried a dry brine yet. Gotta try it on some chicken. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    A chicken you can leave in the fridge for 24 hours.  Don't cover it up and the skin will be ridiculous.  (So good!)
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Finding it hard to find preserved lemons anywhere. Need them for a Moroccan tagine dish.
    I can find them locally at a few specialty markets (Sur La Table, William Sonoma, and World Market), as well as a few specialty grocery stores. They can also be ordered on Amazon. Can you order them from Amazon in AUS?
    If not, you can make them if you have a month before you need to use them. Here's a recipe from Epicurious I've used a couple of times:

Preserved Lemons

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

Going to do a dry brine this year -- I really love it when tried on chickens so am imagining the same success w/Turkey.  Kosher salt on/under skin - lots of it.  2-3 days in the fridge.  Roast in the oven. 
    We go spiral ham instead of turkey; it is so much easier to cook and much tastier.  Happy holidays everyone!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    I like a turkey much better than Ham, although some hams are damn tasty.  Enjoy it!

Dankind....brussels!!!!

I did a dry brine on the Thanksgiving turkey with lots of kosher salt, lemon zest, and fresh rosemary. 3 days in the fridge (2 days covered with plastic wrap, 1 day uncovered). Turned out great.
    Excellent, great to hear!

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    My wife is very anti turkey on Christmas since you just had it. They do gravy so we’re doing a rib roast and gravy/lasagna. Gonna gain 40 pounds 
    That sounds good as well!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    You guys and these god damn Brussels sprouts. :sick:
    Brussels sprouts, olive oil, salt/pepper and some pancetta.  350 for 15 minutes.  Oh baby!!!
    mcgruff10 said:
    Brussels sprouts, olive oil, salt/pepper and some pancetta.  350 for 15 minutes.  Oh baby!!!
    I’ll take my pancetta sproutless! :lol:
    mcgruff10 said:
    In my book Classic American comfort food has to include Mac and cheese or pastina if you have Italian roots. 
    I didn’t know what the Fuck pastina was until I had a daughter and the wife’s family has her eat it basically daily 
    mcgruff10 said:
    In my book Classic American comfort food has to include Mac and cheese or pastina if you have Italian roots. 
    I didn’t know what the Fuck pastina was until I had a daughter and the wife’s family has her eat it basically daily 
    I had zero clue what pastina was until I started dating my wife.  I had a terrible virus this past Monday and felt much better after a bowl of pastina with some pecorino/Romano.  Instead of water we boil it in chicken stock to add some flavor. 
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Mmm... pastina.
  • sp1984sp1984 New Hampshire Posts: 140

We'll be doing Kenji Lopez-Alt's turketta (we did it for Thanksgiving and it was marvelous). Link to Serious Eats
    Works well for a small group (we were only 6 for Thanksgiving)
    Tampa 04/16
    Fenway 1 08/16
    Fenway 2 08/16
    Fenway 1 09/18
    Fenway 2 09/18
    PJ songs at our wedding: Love Reign O'er Me (1st dance); Sirens (last dance); Long Road (Momma-Son dance). 
    sp1984 said:

We'll be doing Kenji Lopez-Alt's turketta (we did it for Thanksgiving and it was marvelous). Link to Serious Eats
    Works well for a small group (we were only 6 for Thanksgiving)
    Wow!  Can you share pics of how it turns out?
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I had zero clue what pastina was until I started dating my wife.  I had a terrible virus this past Monday and felt much better after a bowl of pastina with some pecorino/Romano.  Instead of water we boil it in chicken stock to add some flavor. 
    There you go.  Yeah, I do rice with stock from time to time depending on how it's being used.  Pastina is a good call for stock though.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Why you no like cabbage???
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    Why you no like cabbage???
    I like most cabbages... Brussels sprouts just aren't one of them.  Sauerkraut is disgusting also, may as well get that out of the way lol.

@HesCalledDyer
    I watched the Wierd Al ep....not bad.  More vegan wings and a person just tasting.
    For grins I looked at his local stop in Philly - for July.  Already sold out for VIP and down to singles only.
    Really?
    Good for him, would not have guessed.

Has anyone eaten vegan chicken wings?  Curious as to what the fuck they are/taste like

Beef rib roast?  Anyone do them?

If so, talk to me.  Bone in or no?  I want bone in, but what happens when you cut it. Not everyone is going to want a gigantic ribeye. Can it be cut and more or less deboned after cooking?
    Have not played around with that -- let us know how you end up doing it
    From research, looks like there are a number of ways to carve, so I can cut a few bones off if people want it that way or do this

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/how-to-carve-a-prime-rib-slideshow.html

For roasting, definitely bone-on. Otherwise it isn't prime rib, lol. It's an eye of rib roast.
    I grew up with my dad carving the prime rib the way shown above so that's what I do. He'd then take the bones he carved off, slather them in a dijon mustard sauce, and throw them under the broiler for a few minutes. That was always a treat. An appetizer while the roast rested.

jeffbr said:
    For roasting, definitely bone-on. Otherwise it isn't prime rib, lol. It's an eye of rib roast.
    I grew up with my dad carving the prime rib the way shown above so that's what I do. He'd then take the bones he carved off, slather them in a dijon mustard sauce, and throw them under the broiler for a few minutes. That was always a treat. An appetizer while the roast rested.

Good stuff.  Thanks.

Oh yes please. Come home