Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,668
    @tempo_n_groove
    Delivery today:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited April 2020
    @tempo_n_groove
    Delivery today:

Just looking at that has given me heartburn. :lol: 

A good thing for your day! Enjoy! 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,668
    Thanks A!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I happened upon this sauce at my grocery store and picked some up since I recognized it from this thread.
    It's very good hot sauce!
    We usually just use dried flakes from the garden when we want heat, which is at least half the time, but it's nice to have something with a vinegar zip too.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    What is it called?
  • Options
    I was talking about the Gringo Bandito.
  • Options
    Ahhh, gotcha.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102
    @tempo_n_groove
    Delivery today:

I haven't tried the super hot, how is that?

I may have to order that now too, lol!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I happened upon this sauce at my grocery store and picked some up since I recognized it from this thread.
    It's very good hot sauce!
    We usually just use dried flakes from the garden when we want heat, which is at least half the time, but it's nice to have something with a vinegar zip too.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it.  I try all kinds of pepper sauces and I am very fond of this one.
  • Options
    I made Tapas this weekend for the GF. Burrata salad, warm olives, artichoke and chicken salad, mozzarella, provolone, Brie, caper berries, raisins, pomegranate, fresh bread w olive oil drizzle, Genoa salami, pepperoni, coppa and wine by los vascos. 
  • Options
    Nice board!

I didn't try all of them.  Put some of the original on my food last night and it was great.  Will open and roll out the next three this week.
  • Options
    Nice board!

I didn't try all of them.  Put some of the original on my food last night and it was great.  Will open and roll out the next three this week.
    It looks like they screwed up and didn't send you the yellow and doubled up on the Super Hot.
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of good ole rooster sauce.
    Sriracha chili sauce is the most versatile in my book, it goes on anything.  It's not perfect for everything, but it works.
    I am particular about the level of vinegar with many applications.
    With eggs and garden fries, I want a very vinegar-forward hotsauce, but when I'm adding heat to chili, Mexican, or Italian...not so much.

Like I said, mostly we just use dried flakes from the garden, for cooking and table dressing, but those aren't appropriate for everything.  Usually I keep a jar of flakes in vinegar in the fridge, but I never bothered this year and haven't really missed it.
  • Options
    Nice board!

It looks like they screwed up and didn't send you the yellow and doubled up on the Super Hot.
    I noticed they doubled up when I was putting them in the fridge.  Damn.
    Was a gift so I won't be getting the yellow.
    Oh well.  I'm working on the third shelf in the fridge with friggin hot sauces I can't keep up!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Sriracha chili sauce is the most versatile in my book, it goes on anything.  It's not perfect for everything, but it works.
    With eggs and garden fries, I want a very vinegar-forward hotsauce, but when I'm adding heat to chili, Mexican, or Italian...not so much.

Like I said, mostly we just use dried flakes from the garden, for cooking and table dressing, but those aren't appropriate for everything.  Usually I keep a jar of flakes in vinegar in the fridge, but I never bothered this year and haven't really missed it.
    Have you ever had secret aardvark?
    This is the best one for eggs I have had yet.  Down to the end of my latest bottle, I will miss it.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Have you ever had secret aardvark?
    This is the best one for eggs I have had yet.  Down to the end of my latest bottle, I will miss it.
    Just looked them up.  They have socks!
    https://secretaardvark.com/shop/
  • Options
    Hahaha.  You and your socks.
    It is not very high on the heat scale but it is absolutely delicious.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I spent my COVID-19 discretionary budget on two E-Books and Gigaton to finish a series I was in the middle of when the library shut down, so I probably won't get a chance to try that one.

I have been wanting to develop my own special egg sauce for a few years and just haven't put in the leg work to get it done.  Maybe now is the time.

I know ketchup is a dirty word to some folks around here, but the vinegar/sweet combo is great on eggs when you add piquancy, so my ideal scrambled egg sauce would be something like a hot ketchup.
  • Options
    I love ketchup.

Just never on a hot dog 😭
  • Options
    I love ketchup.

WHAT? 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I spent my COVID-19 discretionary budget on two E-Books and Gigaton to finish a series I was in the middle of when the library shut down, so I probably won't get a chance to try that one.

I have been wanting to develop my own special egg sauce for a few years and just haven't put in the leg work to get it done.  Maybe now is the time.

I know ketchup is a dirty word to some folks around here, but the vinegar/sweet combo is great on eggs when you add piquancy, so my ideal scrambled egg sauce would be something like a hot ketchup.
    I have made my own hot sauce before by cooking up peppers, onions and garlic then pouring vinegar over it into bottles.  It came out fantastic.
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    I love ketchup.

WHAT? 
    Mustard only on a hot dog please or I will throw the dog at you.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,000
    deadendp said:
    I love ketchup.

WHAT? 
    I like a loaded hot dog - mustard, ketchup, relish, and sauerkraut - preferably from Nathan's on a sunny day at Coney Island. Sigh!!

• Options
    deadendp said:
    I love ketchup.

WHAT? 
    Just make sure it's Nathan's. 

Generally ketchup and cheese only. Maybe baked beans if they are around. Stadium mustard only if I am at a ballgame, but I haven't been in a very, very, very long time. (15+ years?) 
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    deadendp said:
    I love ketchup.

WHAT? 
    I like a loaded hot dog - mustard, ketchup, relish, and sauerkraut - preferably from Nathan's on a sunny day at Coney Island. Sigh!!

deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    I love ketchup.

WHAT? 
    Just make sure it's Nathan's. 

Generally ketchup and cheese only. Maybe baked beans if they are around. Stadium mustard only if I am at a ballgame, but I haven't been in a very, very, very long time. (15+ years?) 
    I beg the both of you to seek these out and try them if you like Nathans.  For whatever reason the Nathans franks that you can buy in the store just aren't the same.
    These here are phenomenal though.  They have snap to them when you bite it.  Truly great tasting.
    Boars Head Hot Dogs Review  Boars head Natural casing hot dogs
  • Options
    I would go for that. As long as it isn't Ballpark or Sugardale. :sick:

I would love a snappy dog! :smiley:
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    I would go for that. As long as it isn't Ballpark or Sugardale. :sick:

I would love a snappy dog! :smiley:
    Please do yourself a favor and try it.  I refuse to buy any other kind of hotdog now.
  • Options
    Sugardale bacon is the best though!

My favorite hotdog dressing is ketchup and onions.  So good.  

This thread actually started with the ketchup on hotdogs debate, if I remember correctly.  In the pizza thread, I was (correctly) holding firm to the position that any rule about what condiments are acceptable on a damn tube steak are asinine.
    It's ground up tendons and scrapings, for goodness's sake.
  • Options
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Sugardale bacon is the best though!

My favorite hotdog dressing is ketchup and onions.  So good.  

This thread actually started with the ketchup on hotdogs debate, if I remember correctly.  In the pizza thread, I was (correctly) holding firm to the position that any rule about what condiments are acceptable on a damn tube steak are asinine.
    It's ground up tendons and scrapings, for goodness's sake.
    I can't take anyone seriously that puts ketchup on a hot dog...