Options

Ed making the U.S a more dangerous place for you and I

Comments

• Options
    Vedder316Vedder316 Posts: 205
    irieinindy wrote:
    Wasn't at the concert, but heard it on tape and YOU TOTALLY MISSED THE POINT! That is why before he made the comment he separated marines for RECRUITERS. If you don't know, educate yourself, right now we have recruiters promising kids the world and then sending them to IRAQ, that being the poison apple. :(

Eddie's not a dumb fuck regardless of what you think, or how many bottles of wine he may drink, and he can say whatever the fuck he wants, that is what marines fight for, right? OUR FREEDOM!

You have a choice to, don't go to the show!

I LOVE my country but I hate it's leaders!
    I do not support the war, but I do support our troops, so you can't label me!

P.S. watch storytellers!

the whole educate yourself comment on these forums is really fucking old. I too support the troops but not the war or the leaders who start the shit. To question my education is low. I not once have insulted YOURS or anyone else for their opinion or beliefs but people people here are so damn closed minded they dont care about anything except for what they believe. I have not tried to change anyones mind, I just posted a thought. Not once have I called ed a "dumb fuck" Man its scary that someone cannot post a thought or an opinion with out such a harsh backlash from people. For the ladies and gents who have discussed respectfully thank you. For those who have to insult, cuss, and demean people I truly am sorry that the topic has angered you, not my intentions. Take care.
    Many many wonderful shows, since day one.
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    hakheadhakhead Posts: 32
    That's one thing I'll never understand from you guys. Support the troops, can't talk against the troops. Geez... I have one thing to say. All of you should watch "Why we fight". Amazing documentary.
    "You're not what you own"
    Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

Wasn't there: Mtl 1998/08/20, Mtl 2000/10/04, T.O. 2003/06/28, Mtl 2003/06/29, Boston 2004/09/28, Mtl 2005/09/15, Ott 2005/09/16, T.O. 2005/09/19, T.O. 2006/05/10
  • Options
    CupofjoeCupofjoe Posts: 557
    Huh? Nobody is saying ed should be arrested for saying what he said. Nobody is denying his freedom of speech.
    Sure seems like it after all I think this post is 12 pages deep
  • Options
    Cupofjoe wrote:
    For me Eddie holds up our Freedom of speech rights. Everyone has the right to say what they want when they want. I think we need to look at that more than what this topic is about. SEEMS WE HAVE FORGOTTEN

God thank you so much.
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    Vedder316 wrote:
    the whole educate yourself comment on these forums is really fucking old. I too support the troops but not the war or the leaders who start the shit. To question my education is low. I not once have insulted YOURS or anyone else for their opinion or beliefs but people people here are so damn closed minded they dont care about anything except for what they believe. I have not tried to change anyones mind, I just posted a thought. Not once have I called ed a "dumb fuck" Man its scary that someone cannot post a thought or an opinion with out such a harsh backlash from people. For the ladies and gents who have discussed respectfully thank you. For those who have to insult, cuss, and demean people I truly am sorry that the topic has angered you, not my intentions. Take care.
    I think that ppl here got so irritated (I suppose I can only speak for myself in hopes that others follow) because although you are entitled to your own opinion, you simply can't come to a board in which embraces the Man's art and style, in hopes of bashing him and what he stands for. That's just begging for a tongue lashing in my opinion.
    Up here so high I start to shake...
    Up here so high the sky I scrape...
    I'm so high I hold just one breath here within my chest...
    Just like my innocence...
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    Cupofjoe wrote:
    Sure seems like it after all I think this post is 12 pages deep

And on not one of those pages will you find a post saying it should be illegal for Ed to say what he said.

Which is all "freedom of speech" means. Freedom of speech doesn't mean "you can say whatever you want, and nobody gets to disagree with it." It means the government -- the GOVERNMENT -- can't abridge your right to say what you want to say. You've read all 12 pages (right?). Show me anyone who thinks the government should step in and punish ed for speaking out against the Marine recruitment?

Otherwise, you've got no "freedom of speech" argument.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    I think that ppl here got so irritated (I suppose I can only speak for myself in hopes that others follow) because although you are entitled to your own opinion, you simply can't come to a board in which embraces the Man's art and style, in hopes of bashing him and what he stands for. That's just begging for a tongue lashing in my opinion.

Yes I have learned that very quickly, lol. But you have to admit that some people just go to far. Ed constantly urges people to speak their mind and challenge things you believe in, even if it differs from his opinion. I just question one of the mans actions. I love EV and PJ. I think Ed would be happy to have one of his fans speak their mind just as he does. Not hard feeling.....all love
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    lets take advantage of drunk kids by putting a recruiting station next to a beer stand- assholes-..and Ed is trying to make us safer and smarter-fuck you Republican scum

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    sgossard3 wrote:
    it is pretty pathetic how the armed forces troll low income school to feed on impressionable youth... itd be one thing if they just presented the information in a straight forward way... i was looking at colleges not too long ago and got many many phone calls... theyre more like car salesmen than soldiers... i understand we need soldiers but i can see why ed finds it unnecessary at his shows... more dangerous place for me? im shaking in my boots :rolleyes:

Even worse, they also recruit a lot of delinquents from juvenile detention centers offering them the opportunity to enlist instead of serving time...it's classic. And I'm speaking from experience being a military veteran of the first invasion of Iraq back in the early 90's (now there's a fucked up reason for not being able to "enlist" in the 10c sooner!)

Peace...

RM
  • Options
    gtrplyr7gtrplyr7 Posts: 36
    Pearl Jam Fucking Rules!!!!!!!! I Hate Black People!!!!!!!!woooooooooooo
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Even worse, they also recruit a lot of delinquents from juvenile detention centers offering them the opportunity to enlist instead of serving time...it's classic. And I'm speaking from experience being a military veteran of the first invasion of Iraq back in the early 90's (now there's a fucked up reason for not being able to "enlist" in the 10c sooner!)

Peace...

RM

serve in the military and learn some discipline or suck some more of my tax dollars while sitting in prison...geez tough choice

by the way thanks for your service to this country and sharing your thoughts and or opinions
  • Options
    lets take advantage of drunk kids by putting a recruiting station next to a beer stand- assholes-..and Ed is trying to make us safer and smarter-fuck you Republican scum

Completely uncalled for with the "fuck you" comment. Its people like you that make things like peace practically impossible with the whole you dont think like I do so fuck off. Grow up. And you call yourself a fan of a band that promotes love and peace. I wonder if Ed ever stumbles on to the forums? I bet if he did posts like yours make him want to throw up. Simmer down tiger. No need for all the hatin.
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    one of the most stupid message threads I've ever read......your sentiment is fair comment, but for the love of god, change the title of your thread.

exactly.
    San Diego, July 07, 2006
    Los Angeles, July 10, 2006
    Bridge School Benefit, October 21, 2006
    Bridge School Benefit, October 22, 2006
    Lollapalooza, August 5th, 2007
    eV., Los Angeles April 12, 2008
    eV., San Diego April 15, 2008
    Given to Fly___..
  • Options
    BOOOM wrote:
    exactly.

I did change the title of the thread but the new title for some reason it will not change. How do I change the title? I will gladly do it. Thanks
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    Vedder316 wrote:
    I did change the title of the thread but the new title for some reason it will not change. How do I change the title? I will gladly do it. Thanks

CHANGE IT TO I'D FUCK EDDIE VEDDER'S BRAINS OUT!!!!!! CAUSE I TOTALLY WOULD!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Vedder316 wrote:
    Completely uncalled for with the "fuck you" comment. Its people like you that make things like peace practically impossible with the whole you dont think like I do so fuck off. Grow up. And you call yourself a fan of a band that promotes love and peace. I wonder if Ed ever stumbles on to the forums? I bet if he did posts like yours make him want to throw up. Simmer down tiger. No need for all the hatin.

At least acknowledge that the title of this thread is poor. and that the size of the army does not dictate safety(look for my first post for explanation).
    San Diego, July 07, 2006
    Given to Fly___..
  • Options
    I'm Going Huuuuuuuuuuuunggggggggryyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    gtrplyr7 wrote:
    I'm Going Huuuuuuuuuuuunggggggggryyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!

YeeEEaaAAhhHH
    San Diego, July 07, 2006
    Given to Fly___..
  • Options
    BOOOM wrote:
    YeeEEaaAAhhHH

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Vedder316 wrote:
    I know I will probably receive some slack for this but it been on my mind for a few days so here it goes. A few days ago i got the Mansfield 2(great show!). I found what Ed said after whipping to be a bit out of line and it sort of pissed me off. If you do know what he said here is a abbreviated summary. After rocking out whipping he talks about a marine recruiting person being at the first Mansfield show. He then states how some of his best friends are marines and ex-marines and how he supports their work. He goes on to say that he has a relationship with the people there to see the gig and he felt that the marine recruiter there was trying to get them to "bite a poison apple" and "these are our people and we're trying to take care of them", "so there is no marine recruiting center out there, its gone". Ok now I am sure theres a good chance that the marines where not going to get anyone to sign up for the marines at a Pearl Jam concert but what was the harm in having them there? Its those marines and other armed forces branches that fight and die so that Ed can verbally criticize the leaders of the country he lives in. Go to Iran Ed and say some shit about their leaders in front of 15,000 of their citizens, see how that works out for ya. Its those great people that helped rescues victims of hurricane Katrina. Its those great people that keep our country safe ect ect. Now why would Ed want to prevent people from signing up for the marines? (no matter how small the contribution) The armed forces of today rely on future personnel to relieve them in time of war and relief, learn new things and ways to aid them in future conflicts, and to make them more stronger and safer in the numbers ect. Low recruiting numbers effect the troops of today in a very negative way and it angers me Ed contributes to that. Its like we should all thank him for the marine recruiter removal because we all agree with what Eddie thinks. Are there really that many puppets at the shows that Eddie can assume we all wanted the removal? If he felt that bad about a recruiter being there, fine, have them removed for the 2nd show, but dont announce it and assume we all think your a hero for doing so. I think Ed needs to lay off the bottles of wine and watch what he says at shows. It may come back to him some day. I applaud and respect the men and women who want to join the armed forces. I hope the keep doing it, in great numbers. They are the only reason our country safe with leaders like this.

one of my former friends was in the marines. he became a recruiter for his last 8 years in. i can tell, you without hesitation ( and i thought it was common knowledge really ) that recruiters use some slimey tactics to get young kids right out of high school to sign the dotted line, and raise their hands and take that oath.
    like ed says, he supports what the marines are doing, he just does not support the recruiters or their tactics.

you know what i think you should do?

i think you should go join those brave men and woman, so tomorrow you should go joing the marines.
    put you're life where you're mouth is.

have a good day.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    "Its those marines and other armed forces branches that fight and die so that Ed can verbally criticize the leaders of the country he lives in."

If you seriously think that U.S. soldiers fight for freedom then you really need to open your eyes. The only thing threatening and controlling our freedom is our own government. Maybe in the past soldiers fought for freedom but can you explain how they are now? Also, I think people join the armed forces for their own benefit. And I do have a very good friend in the army right now.

Peace,

J
  • Options
    rtwilli4rtwilli4 Posts: 261
    Vedder316 wrote:
    Its those great people that helped rescues victims of hurricane Katrina. Its those great people that keep our country safe ect ect.

It's those "great" people who repeatedly pointed an automatic weapon at me while I WAS TRYING TO HELP THE PEOPLE OF NEW ORLEANS. They did nothing but cause trouble and chaos down there. They stood around and threatened starving and dying people. Don't talk about shit you don't know.
  • Options
    alexersalexers Posts: 492
    this escalated quickly!
  • Options
    Vedder316 wrote:
    I agree. I think people join up because the love and care for their country not the morons that run it.

People join for a lot of different reasons. The patriotism, the pay, the lack of other options, the tradition, etc. But nobody is going to want to join a military that is used recklessly and without second thought because nobody wants to be deemed collateral damage and only be seen as another body on the ground. And I said before, the military discriminating against certain groups of people is only contributing to the fact that there's not enough soldiers.
  • Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667
    Vedder316 wrote:

You started a thread with a statement of: Ed making the US a more dangerous place for you and I.

There is no better place for an "Educate yourself" comment then right there, because that is the stupidest thing I have read in a really long time.

You could have just as easily said, I am concerned with what Ed said at a show I was at or something not so insulting to Ed, but no, you made your statement now deal with it!

As for what's old, I'll give you my opinion on what is getting old. People judging ED! People feeling like their opinion matters when it comes to what someone else does in their life, like ED, that's REALLY getting fucking old.

You made your comment to ruffle feathers, and then act all insulted when someone's feathers actually got ruffled, so really go .... ........! :(
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options
    It was 1989, my thoughts were short my hair was long
    Caught somewhere between a boy and man
    She was seventeen and she was far from in-between
    It was summertime in Northern Michigan
    Ahh Ahh Ahh
    Ahh Ahh Ahh

Splashing through the sand bar
    Talking by the campfire
    It's the simple things in life, like when and where
    We didn't have no internet
    But man I never will forget
    The way the moonlight shined upon her hair

[Chorus:]
    And we were trying different things
    We were smoking funny things
    Making love out by the lake to our favorite song
    Sipping whiskey out the bottle, not thinking 'bout tomorrow
    Singing Sweet home Alabama all summer long
    Singing Sweet home Alabama all summer long

Catching Walleye from the dock
    Watching the waves roll off the rocks
    She'll forever hold a spot inside my soul
    We'd blister in the sun
    We couldn't wait for night to come
    To hit that sand and play some rock and roll

While we were trying different things
    And we were smoking funny things
    Making love out by the lake to our favorite song
    Sipping whiskey out the bottle, not thinking 'bout tomorrow
    Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long

Now nothing seems as strange as when the leaves began to change
    Or how we thought those days would never end
    Sometimes I'll hear that song and I'll start to sing along
    And think man I'd love to see that girl again

[Repeat Chorus x2]

• Options
    Vedder316 wrote:

How about threads like the one you started, what do you think Ed would think about that?
  • Options
    BOOOM wrote:
    At least acknowledge that the title of this thread is poor. and that the size of the army does not dictate safety(look for my first post for explanation).

I have acknowledge the title is poor. I do it again. Sorry every one the title i chose for this post is misleading and was a poor choice. I do how ever believe the more troops we have the safer we are in some aspects and bad in others.
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    irieinindy wrote:
    How about threads like the one you started, what do you think Ed would think about that?

I BET EDDIE WOULD THINK BOTH OF YOU NEED TO GET A FUCKING LIFE!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Vedder316 wrote:
    I have acknowledge the title is poor. I do it again. Sorry every one the title i chose for this post is misleading and was a poor choice. I do how ever believe the more troops we have the safer we are in some aspects and bad in others.

I'm sorry so many people have told you to fuck off, including me. You just can't insult Ed that way, and not expect to get attacked.

We lose freedoms every single day, while at a war that we don't acknowledge so that we can protect our freedom. The US is fucking nuts! I agree with the poster from Finland. We are a joke to the rest of the world, and it's getting worse every single day.

And if that doesn't matter to you, well that's the real problem, IMO!

I love my country, I hate it's leaders!