Options

Ed making the U.S a more dangerous place for you and I

Vedder316Vedder316 Posts: 205
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I know I will probably receive some slack for this but it been on my mind for a few days so here it goes. A few days ago i got the Mansfield 2(great show!). I found what Ed said after whipping to be a bit out of line and it sort of pissed me off. If you do know what he said here is a abbreviated summary. After rocking out whipping he talks about a marine recruiting person being at the first Mansfield show. He then states how some of his best friends are marines and ex-marines and how he supports their work. He goes on to say that he has a relationship with the people there to see the gig and he felt that the marine recruiter there was trying to get them to "bite a poison apple" and "these are our people and we're trying to take care of them", "so there is no marine recruiting center out there, its gone". Ok now I am sure theres a good chance that the marines where not going to get anyone to sign up for the marines at a Pearl Jam concert but what was the harm in having them there? Its those marines and other armed forces branches that fight and die so that Ed can verbally criticize the leaders of the country he lives in. Go to Iran Ed and say some shit about their leaders in front of 15,000 of their citizens, see how that works out for ya. Its those great people that helped rescues victims of hurricane Katrina. Its those great people that keep our country safe ect ect. Now why would Ed want to prevent people from signing up for the marines? (no matter how small the contribution) The armed forces of today rely on future personnel to relieve them in time of war and relief, learn new things and ways to aid them in future conflicts, and to make them more stronger and safer in the numbers ect. Low recruiting numbers effect the troops of today in a very negative way and it angers me Ed contributes to that. Its like we should all thank him for the marine recruiter removal because we all agree with what Eddie thinks. Are there really that many puppets at the shows that Eddie can assume we all wanted the removal? If he felt that bad about a recruiter being there, fine, have them removed for the 2nd show, but dont announce it and assume we all think your a hero for doing so. I think Ed needs to lay off the bottles of wine and watch what he says at shows. It may come back to him some day. I applaud and respect the men and women who want to join the armed forces. I hope the keep doing it, in great numbers. They are the only reason our country safe with leaders like this.
Many many wonderful shows, since day one.
Love ya Punkinfur
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    brucebruce Posts: 384
    The Military personnel are greatly responsible for protecting our democracy and allowing the political freedom that we enjoy. But so are the police, lawyers and judges that keep ordered liberty, they are JUST AS important.....politicians, activists, educators also play a very large role.

If said doing all of those things was "taking a bite of the Apple"... then he his influence, what ever it may be, would be damaging.
    Writing checks that others pay.....

• Options
    I believe any UNAUTHORIZED SOLICITATION would be grounds for removal from a venue.

And for the life of me, I don't see how this is making the U.S. a more dangerous place. Talk about fear mongering.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    mfc22mfc22 Posts: 106
    amen brother(or sister). i have family on the front lines. my little brother is there. i hate the cause but love the troops.
    ...if she's gone i can't go on feelin' 2 foot small...
  • Options
    finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    I believe any UNAUTHORIZED SOLICITIATION would be grounds for removal from a venue.

And for the life of me, I don't see how this is making the U.S. a more dangerous place. Talk about FEAR MONGERING.

Indeed.

Besides, Pearl Jam tries to promote Peace. Make love not war ;)

Peace.
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • Options
    Ed had as much right to say what he said as you had to post that. Not to mention the fact that the Marines recruiting outside a PJ gig could affect the PJ brand. If he didn't agree with it, he was right to speak out about it - anyone who can be persuaded not to sign up by a short, drunken Eddie rant probably shouldn't sign up in the first place.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    it is pretty pathetic how the armed forces troll low income school to feed on impressionable youth... itd be one thing if they just presented the information in a straight forward way... i was looking at colleges not too long ago and got many many phone calls... theyre more like car salesmen than soldiers... i understand we need soldiers but i can see why ed finds it unnecessary at his shows... more dangerous place for me? im shaking in my boots :rolleyes:
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    "Danger"s Ed's middle name. :D
  • Options
    I believe any UNAUTHORIZED SOLICITIATION would be grounds for removal from a venue.

And for the life of me, I don't see how this is making the U.S. a more dangerous place. Talk about fear mongering.

It really isn't making an immediate impact, but if more people thought like Ed it would. You don't see how lower troop numbers can make the US a more dangerous place? Another reason it make more of a danger is because here we have people making assumptions for us and it adds to the number of people who do not think for them selves. Thats how the leaders we have now get away with all the crap they do. And as for the UNAUTHORIZED SOLICITATION the band doesn't own the venue. It's not fear mongering just a discussion. Take care.
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    "Danger"s Ed's middle name. :D

lol thats a good one, gave me a laugh.
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    we can all agree to disagree. i am sure being at the show was sweet. fuck politics. pearl jam kicks ass,,,
  • Options
    finnannie wrote:
    Indeed.

Besides, Pearl Jam tries to promote Peace. Make love not war ;)

Peace.
    I agree wholeheartedly but troops do much much more that go to war.
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    mfc22 wrote:
    we can all agree to disagree. i am sure being at the show was sweet. fuck politics. pearl jam kicks ass,,,

Agreed my good man/woman
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    thank you friend...
  • Options
    mfc22 wrote:
    Naaah,.. I agree.. Ed fucked us over on this one.. This is his last straw.. I'm scared to leave my apartment tomorrow, in danger for my life.. :D
  • Options
    What's difficult to understand about that?

Stupid war that has wasted lives, money, and goodwill around the world, all because a bunch of fat government fucks had a brain-dead fantasy about controlling the Middle East's oil reserves.

Yet the troops are there to fight for our freedom and safety. They are people just like me and you, mostly courageously doing what they think is right and necessary, for little pay and less acknowledgement and support.

Our soldiers' lives are being wasted. Having a recruiting station is like saying "the Iraq war is great".

That's what I heard Eddie saying that night.
  • Options
    Vedder316 wrote:
    It really isn't making an immediate impact, but if more people thought like Ed it would. You don't see how lower troop numbers can make the US a more dangerous place? Another reason it make more of a danger is because here we have people making assumptions for us and it adds to the number of people who do not think for them selves. Thats how the leaders we have now get away with all the crap they do. And as for the UNAUTHORIZED SOLICITATION the band doesn't own the venue. It's not fear mongering just a discussion. Take care.

Dude, Eddie isn't telling people they can't or shouldn't join the military. He's voicing his personal opinion of things and just not allowing them to recruit in an unauthorized manner at his concert. See, that would imply an endorsement by the band and/or the venue. That's not cool. That could be construed as the recruiter using deceipt to sign those very people you claim "do not think for themselves."

Every business operating at a venue has gone to great lengths to do so...the concessionaires, any charity booths, Verizon, etc. You can't just set up shop because you want to.

What he's saying about taking care of his people...fans come to the show to enjoy the band, not be solicited by a recruiter that isn't following rules. If they want to join the military, they can still do so. We'll all be ok even if this guy can't convert a Lib Pearl Jam fan or two at a concert. :)
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    Vedder316 wrote:
    I agree wholeheartedly but troops do much much more that go to war.
    yah... some of them throw puppies off cliffs :p

• Options
    finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186

Stupid war that has wasted lives, money, and goodwill around the world, all because a bunch of fat government fucks had a brain-dead fantasy about controlling the Middle East's oil reserves.

Yet the troops are there to fight for our freedom and safety. They are people just like me and you, mostly courageously doing what they think is right and necessary, for little pay and less acknowledgement and support.

Our soldiers' lives are being wasted. Having a recruiting station is like saying "the Iraq war is great".

True, true. Very true.
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • Options
    people, i am as against the war as the next person. but do eddie's politics really take away from the music?
  • Options

Good to hear someones thoughts on the subject with out sarcasm. The whole "ohh iam scared to leave my house thing" is really unnecessary. It was just a thought I had while listening to a concert.
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    Dude, Eddie isn't telling people they can't or shouldn't join the military. He's voicing his personal opinion of things and just not allowing them to recruit in an unauthorized manner at his concert. See, that would imply an endorsement by the band and/or the venue. That's not cool. That could be construed as the recruiter using deceipt to sign those very people you claim "do not think for themselves."

Every business operating at a venue has gone to great lengths to do so...the concessionaires, any charity booths, Verizon, etc. You can't just set up shop because you want to.

What he's saying about taking care of his people...fans come to the show to enjoy the band, not be solicited by a recruiter that isn't following rules. If they want to join the military, they can still do so. We'll all be ok even if this guy can't convert a Lib Pearl Jam fan or two at a concert. :)

Was the recruiter there in an unauthorized manner? If he was I apologize but I did not see that confirmed anywhere.
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    all due respect......and i am making a guess. i would venture to say that the recuiter simply dislikes pearl jam and this was his way of displaying his discourse. i may be horribly incorrect though. it just seems to be the only logical reason.
    has anyone witnessed the same activity at any other "anti-war" music bands?
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    yah... some of them throw puppies off cliffs :p

Uncalled for and disgusting.
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    ONCE DEVIDEDONCE DEVIDED Posts: 1,131
    I will ask the question WHY ARE THE MARINES THERE in the first place. Why because their numbers are stretched to breaking point. why is that
    GWB and his war based on lies. The Iraq war is why numbers are down. Many killed or injured, leaving the real war against terrorism in afganistan suffering.

since when do they have recruiters at rocknroll shows.
    I support all troops and wish ffor them to be used WHEN REQUIRED not for oil
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    Ed is an American and has a right to express his freedom of speech just as much as that Marine Recruiter tent was allowed there. I am not biased to this at all. To say Ed makes things more dangerous is a bit over the top in my view though. Support your troops, support peace. You can do both ya know.
  • Options
    I go on this belief firmly.. people should not have to be recruited, but rather look to join themselves..

If you have to persuade someone to fight a battle, that battle is not worth fighting..

You want recruits? Fight a real unfabricated war.. people would line up, guarunteed.
  • Options
    I go on this belief firmly.. people should not have to be recruited, but rather look to join themselves..

If you have to persuade someone to fight a battle, that battle is not worth fighting..

You want recruits? Fight a real unfabricated war.. people would line up, guarunteed.
    agreed... they had no problem getting people during WWII

• Options
    Ed is an American and has a right to express his freedom of speech just as much as that Marine Recruiter tent was allowed there. I am not biased to this at all. To say Ed makes things more dangerous is a bit over the top in my view though. Support your troops, support peace. You can do both ya know.

I agree the post title was a bit over the top. I do support peace. i pray for it every night, but we still need them for when the next Hurricane, earthquake, terrorist attacks hit among many other things. If we where not involved in a bullshit war would Ed have them removed???
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options

areed friend
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    One thing I can tell you is, don't be such a hypocrite. You talk of great ol' America and then think Ed has no right to speak his mind. You are contradicting yourself. Ed can and has proved he will say what he wants, when he wants and if people don't like it ( in Ed's own words ) FUCK EM!

It's Pearl Jam's concert, so we'll go by Pearl Jam's rules. Obviously no recruiters is a rule they have. Kaboom, I love it and I can't quit laughing at the thought of them packing up there shit and hitting the exit gate. If anyone has this on video tape, can I do a B&P?

Ed loves his country. It's like when you love your kids, if they do something wrong, you tell them. You don't sit quite and let them hurt themselves and others. You try and do something to help. America is wrong for this war. If you can't see that by now, you are either dumb, or your trying to save face.

For the record I have relatives in Iraq, and I support them. The only reason to be against a war is so people don't die. So how could I not be for the troops? I don't want them to die. That makes me the bad guy, how wierd is that?