edited September 2016
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited September 2016
    Patriotism versus nationalism
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625

Just out of curiosity how many people that have posted in this thread stands during the national anthem?

Always take my hat off, stand, and put my hand over my heart.
    Also....make my father in law stand and remove his hat....as well as anyone else in the group with me.
    To me, it is about respect. If they had a reason to not stand I would have to accept it, but would tell them to shelve it and be respectful.
    Just me.
    If Kap was good and battling for the starting spot, my opinion is he still would not have done this.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Americans aren't the only ones who have the national anthem at sporting events. Canadians do. Pretty sure football (soccer) leagues around the world play the anthems, don't they?

You should hear the national anthem at Winnipeg Jets games. It is something I had never experienced before.

Seems like a lot of Americans fully support their right to peaceful protest.

Until it's something they don't agree with.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-colin-kaepernicks-practice-socks-appear-to-disrespect-the-police/

Has anyone put a number on the number of bad policemen we have? 95% of them? 75%? Maybe less than 10%...
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Since 9/11, most baseball stadiums now either play God Bless America or America The Beautiful during the 7th inning stretch instead of Take Me Out To The Ballgame. I'm so glad my Cubbies still show a posthumous Harry Caray singing on the video board! We already stood and sang The Star-Spangled Banner, now we have to sing another song about the nation AND bring fuckin religion into it, too?
  • Options

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-colin-kaepernicks-practice-socks-appear-to-disrespect-the-police/

Has anyone put a number on the number of bad policemen we have? 95% of them? 75%? Maybe less than 10%...

He's an idiot.

Don't be surprised though. I'm not sure who follows the NFL and who doesn't around here, but I can tell you that even before this incident... Kap was one of the least liked players in the NFL by other players.

Among many things, after throwing an interception, he called Lamarr Houston a n***er on the field. Sooo... yah... it's kind of ironic that he resorts to offensive and racist language when angry on the football field... yet the champion for the cause near the height of social awareness.

It's tough for me to reconcile his history with his newfound moral high ground.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629

You can't put a number on it because it's a continuum that has too many variables and "it depends" type of things at play.
  • Options

He's an idiot.

Don't be surprised though. I'm not sure who follows the NFL and who doesn't around here, but I can tell you that even before this incident... Kap was one of the least liked players in the NFL by other players.

Among many things, after throwing an interception, he called Lamarr Houston a n***er on the field. Sooo... yah... it's kind of ironic that he resorts to offensive and racist language when angry on the football field... yet the champion for the cause near the height of social awareness.

you can be passionate about something and still have been a dick in the past. they are not mutually exclusive. we all have said shit we aren't proud of. his is just broadcast on national tv. mine and yours are not.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603

Since 9/11, most baseball stadiums now either play God Bless America or America The Beautiful during the 7th inning stretch instead of Take Me Out To The Ballgame. I'm so glad my Cubbies still show a posthumous Harry Caray singing on the video board! We already stood and sang The Star-Spangled Banner, now we have to sing another song about the nation AND bring fuckin religion into it, too?

I believe Yankee Stadium is the only one that still does for every game. I am not a fan of it.
  • Options

He's an idiot.

you can be passionate about something and still have been a dick in the past. they are not mutually exclusive. we all have said shit we aren't proud of. his is just broadcast on national tv. mine and yours are not.
    If you were eager to give the guy credit... you could believe whatever you wish about the guy.
  • Options

He's an idiot.

If you were eager to give the guy credit... you could believe whatever you wish about the guy.
    eager to give the guy credit? I'm not even sure what that means.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The socks are dumb
  • Options

He's an idiot.

Seriously?

I meant if you really wanted to believe he genuinely feels for the movement to such a degree that he would shit on everything the national anthem might mean... you could believe his actions were altruistic.

Knowing only what I have come to know of the guy... it seems more contrived and self serving.

Others have said the same thing in this thread.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    He is sitting to night and will continue to until there is "significant change".

I think he will be sitting the next game too ... on his couch.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

He is sitting to night and will continue to until there is "significant change".

I think he will be sitting the next game too ... on his couch.

Why do people keep talking about whether he gets cut or not? Does anyone outside of Niners fans care?
  • Options

He's an idiot.

Seriously?

I meant if you really wanted to believe he genuinely feels for the movement to such a degree that he would shit on everything the national anthem might mean... you could believe his actions were altruistic.

Knowing only what I have come to know of the guy... it seems more contrived and self serving.

your second paragraph is key: you don't know him. you know him from how he acts at work and how is he portrayed in the media. which is about 5%, if that, of a person's actual character. I have worked with a lot of people in my life. over the years, I have worked with some of my best friends. a few have been absolutely abhorent to work with. that means nothing in the grand scheme.

and national anthems DON'T mean anything. it's pledging allegiance to your government. nothing more.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    edited September 2016
    JC29856 said:
    Geez, not surprising. The total military advertising and marketing budget is about a billion dollars.

Got to keep the masses indoctrinated and keep the propaganda going.

NFL games are 3 hours of Military stroking.
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Apparently Kap is starting tonight he should really be focusing what he has to do in this game. That said he can still continue with his stand of which he has a right to do by just staying in the locker room until the anthem is finished. Then come out and try and take care of his business on the field.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201

He's an idiot.

Seriously?

your second paragraph is key: you don't know him. you know him from how he acts at work and how is he portrayed in the media. which is about 5%, if that, of a person's actual character. I have worked with a lot of people in my life. over the years, I have worked with some of my best friends. a few have been absolutely abhorent to work with. that means nothing in the grand scheme.

and national anthems DON'T mean anything. it's pledging allegiance to your government. nothing more.
    to you they don't but maybe to others they do? it does mean something to me for my own personal reasons.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

He's an idiot.

Seriously?

to you they don't but maybe to others they do? it does mean something to me for my own personal reasons.
    yes, and he's being judged based on how OTHERS feel about something, not how HE feels about it.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201

pjhawks said:

He's an idiot.

Seriously?

yes, and he's being judged based on how OTHERS feel about something, not how HE feels about it.
    of course, isn't that what everything is judged on though? i mean i hate cats but if i took a public stand against cats i would be getting blasted based on how OTHERS feel about cats not how i feel about them.

maybe i'm wrong but i don't see a lot of people questioning Kaepernick's message as much as the action he chose to promote his message.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    pjhawks said:

He's an idiot.

Seriously?

I think this is a pretty interesting point. Really the only point. To you, the national anthem represents soliders past and present who have sacrificed for their country and that standing at attention for the national anthem is a sign of respect for them. Especially since you consider the fact that you are attending a sporting event as a freedom they are defending

But as mentioned, it means different things to different people. So to Kaepernick, it may represent a salute or homage to a country that he feels is not properly representing or treating a group of people that he associates himself with and therefore does not want to pay that homage at the current time.

So if it means something to you for your personal reasons, it doesn't mean the same thing for everyone and they are not disrespecting the reason that you personally feel it is important to stand.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    <
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

He's an idiot.

Seriously?

of course, isn't that what everything is judged on though? i mean i hate cats but if i took a public stand against cats i would be getting blasted based on how OTHERS feel about cats not how i feel about them.

maybe i'm wrong but i don't see a lot of people questioning Kaepernick's message as much as the action he chose to promote his message.
    I hate cats and I take a very public stance against them. I am happy to be the leader of this club
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122

<

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

He's an idiot.

Seriously?

I hate cats and I take a very public stance against them. I am happy to be the leader of this club
    I don't like to use the word hate but I certainly dislike cats so I think I could stand with you. Btw that socks thing is a pretty stupid idea.....tends to undermine his whole stand. Why throw more fuel to the flame....as its been said before they're many, many good police officers out there. The game tonight I believe its military appreciation night....talk about a possible hostile environment. Make your your stance Kap in the locker room.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited September 2016
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    edited September 2016

That's not true. I think most do God Bless America on Sunday and still fit in one verse of Take Me Out to the Ballgame. The latter used to be run through twice.

Not sure what they do in Milwaukee, which traditionally did both Beer Barrel Polka and Take Me Out to the Ballgame...I suppose one gets dumped on Sundays.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    I love cats.

The reason why we even spend seven pages discussing his is airing out differences in opinion.

It's all good. We can disagree. Life would be pretty vanilla if we didn't.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721

I love cats.

The reason why we even spend seven pages discussing his is airing out differences in opinion.

It's all good. We can disagree. Life would be pretty vanilla if we didn't.

Annie with her x-ray/radar vision says, THANK YOU, THIRTY!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    It's military night in San Diego for the niners game there tonight ... stand or sit on military night? I support his decision to make his own choices, but maybe not a wise choice on military night.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon