Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598

dignin said:

I think what he did was admirable. It took huge balls. He is risking his career and reputation to stand up for something he believes in. I know I probably wouldn't have the guts to do the same thing.

His career was basically over regardless and his reputation was garbage to begin with.

This was nothing more than a loser being a loser. As I said... if he gets involved and puts his money where his mouth is after he no longer has an NFL job... I'll pay my respect. Until such a time... I stand behind what I've said.

Why no BLM wristbands or patches or stickers on his uniform? To me... that would have been significant. I think I know why though. Fines. Money out of pocket. Far less costly to sit during the national anthem than to play with a symbol of your beliefs on your helmet.
    Yes, stand up, shut up and get in line, boy, otherwise you're a loser. And never use your platform to stand up for something you believe it.
    That's not what I've said.

I've said don't shit all over one platform to promote yours.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the very concept of protesting, shitting on a platform?
    Well in this case... misdirected.

Did you see what I had written regarding his refrain from using his visibility to promote his cause with arm bands or helmet stickers?

Seems to me could have made his statement in bold and dramatic fashion without being so disrespectful... albeit at a cost. I guess he thought his money was more important though- better to snub the anthem and disrespect those that should be honoured instead of making any personal sacrifice for his deeply rooted values (Tillman gave his life for his beliefs).
    I did. I don't know. Perhaps he doesn't agree with their approach, perhaps he feels it is less a problem with police and more a systemic problem in this country. I am sure he has his reasons and maybe it is money. I don't know.

You keep bringing up Tillman, which I find interesting. I have said a couple times that I strongly believe Tillman would be the first in line defending Kaepernick.
  • Options

dignin said:

I think what he did was admirable. It took huge balls. He is risking his career and reputation to stand up for something he believes in. I know I probably wouldn't have the guts to do the same thing.

His career was basically over regardless and his reputation was garbage to begin with.

This was nothing more than a loser being a loser. As I said... if he gets involved and puts his money where his mouth is after he no longer has an NFL job... I'll pay my respect. Until such a time... I stand behind what I've said.

Why no BLM wristbands or patches or stickers on his uniform? To me... that would have been significant. I think I know why though. Fines. Money out of pocket. Far less costly to sit during the national anthem than to play with a symbol of your beliefs on your helmet.
    Yes, stand up, shut up and get in line, boy, otherwise you're a loser. And never use your platform to stand up for something you believe it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the very concept of protesting, shitting on a platform?

Did you see what I had written regarding his refrain from using his visibility to promote his cause with arm bands or helmet stickers?

Seems to me could have made his statement in bold and dramatic fashion without being so disrespectful... albeit at a cost. I guess he thought his money was more important though- better to snub the anthem and disrespect those that should be honoured instead of making any personal sacrifice for his deeply rooted values (Tillman gave his life for his beliefs).
    I did. I don't know. Perhaps he doesn't agree with their approach, perhaps he feels it is less a problem with police and more a systemic problem in this country. I am sure he has his reasons and maybe it is money. I don't know.

You keep bringing up Tillman, which I find interesting. I have said a couple times that I strongly believe Tillman would be the first in line defending Kaepernick.
    I'm thinking Tillman would have seen the moment as extremely distasteful.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited August 2016

dignin said:

I couldn't disagree more. Tillman was a very critical thinker and his writings said as much (Iraq, Lynch, military training and his fellow soldiers, etc.). Even Kevin's comments since then. While he was very patriotic, he was most definitely not in the "rah rah America" camp. Even if he disagreed with Kaepernick, I think he would very much defend him.
  • Options

dignin said:

I couldn't disagree more. Tillman was a very critical thinker and his writings said as much (Iraq, Lynch, military training and his fellow soldiers, etc.). Even Kevin's comments since then. While he was very patriotic, he was most definitely not in the "rah rah America" camp. Even if he disagreed with Kaepernick, I think he would very much defend him.
    Tillman was deep, however I think he would have seen the moment as self serving at worse and poorly contrived at best. But we speculate here.

Cliffy... you've articulated your position very well. I've done the best I can from my perspective. I disagree with you on the issue, but if it's okay with you... I'll leave my argument where it is. If there's anything I need to do a better job of detailing... let me know and I'll give it another shot.
  • Options

dignin said:

Tillman was deep, however I think he would have seen the moment as self serving at worse and poorly contrived at best. But we speculate here.

Cliffy... you've articulated your position very well. I've done the best I can from my perspective. I disagree with you on the issue, but if it's okay with you... I'll leave my argument where it is. If there's anything I need to do a better job of detailing... let me know and I'll give it another shot.
    Word. A good debate. Likewise on all accounts.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Does anyone go to hockey games in the US when O Canada is played and just start fucking off or do you stand for a few minutes in a manner of respect?

(personally i sit in protest because Canadians cheat you out of a 1/2 oz of beer in every can.)
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Does anyone go to hockey games in the US when O Canada is played and just start fucking off or do you stand for a few minutes in a manner of respect?

(personally i sit in protest because Canadians cheat you out of a 1/2 oz of beer in every can.)

We make up for it with higher alcohol content though.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    Jason P said:

i stand in respect...because Canadian beer is like moonshine
  • Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    edited August 2016
    Are their social issues that need to be addressed in this country? Yes.

Did CK have the right to sit? Yes

I really wish I could ask 2 people who I know served for our country their thoughts. 1 is my fatherin law who died 4 yrs ago due to complications from lung cancer caused by agent orange exposure in Vietnam. The other is a college buddy and roommate who died 8 yrs ago in Iraq.

Unfortunately I can't and it's why I stand during the national anthem at sporting events. To pay respect. CK doesn't have to, but i lose the little bit of respect I may have had for him because of it.

IMO there is a million better ways to mske your point than a way which could even slightly be viewed as disrespecting those who gave their life for our country.

If he really cares why not go into inner cities and speak to youth, set up meetings with politicians, run for office yourself, or meet with police officials to try and work together. I don't think attention needs to be drawn to the issue, based on recent events Americans are well aware. We need action. That brings change.
    Post edited by pureoc on
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    edited August 2016
    questioning the authenticity of his protest because he isn't making speeches to inner city youth is weak at best. the protest was a way to get attention to the cause. and it might even be less than that. maybe he just didn't feel right inside, standing for it. I don't bow my head during grace at my family dinners. it isn't out of protest. it's because I don't believe in it. and my family should respect my right to not bow my head.

i don't know if part of the cause was attention, but that's not how he presented it after the fact, so we can't go on anything other than what he has publicly stated.

I'm sure he could have afforded a fine if he wanted to put a sticker on his helmet. But his case isn't against the NFL, it's against the state of the nation.

and why give stock to those in uniform who have an issue with his protest, but dismiss those who don't, and openly support his actions? I find that blatantly biased.

I think it's ludicrous to attribute protesting a national anthem with disrespect to those who have served in the military. national anthems are nothing but governmental patriotic indoctrination mechanisms. I have never understood how national anthems got attached to non-international sporting events. it doesn't make any sense to me at all.

from the statement I read, the 49ers front office are firm in their stance of supporting his right to do what he did. Good for them.
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    and what I find really interesting is those saying that a guy who has so much money is hypocritical in his stance since he has made so much money "off the backs of those who fought for his freedom to do so". HE IS EXACTLY THE PERSON WHO SHOULD BE DOING IT. To fight for the ones who don't have a voice.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,684
    Good heavens! I started this last night and already 5 pages. Will have a lot to catch up on here this evening!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    brianlux said:

Good heavens! I started this last night and already 5 pages. Will have a lot to catch up on here this evening!

See what you have done, mister!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    "I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag. I know that I am a black man in a white world."
    -Jackie Robinson, I Never Had It Made, 1972
  • Options
    Jason P said:

brianlux said:

See what you have done, mister!
    We do love our controversies, don't we! :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141

I just can't believe people give a fuck what a back up qb on a horrible team does.

He's got the right to do that. People have the right to be pjssed. Not really too much to discuss. I think Colin was a bit surprised by how his actions were perceived by the public. It came off as anti-military. I know that's not what he meant, but many people are seeing it that way. I think it may be best for him to stay in the locker room I during the national anthem. Let's be honest, is him sitting during the anthem really going to bring one ounce of awareness to black lives?

It's called slow news day. Also we need something to be pissed off about besides our country's AMAZING presidential candidates.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141

Funny how a guy exercises his right to free speech and some people jump all over him. Bunch of armchair warriors.

Bunch of +60 year olds with Facebook.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

questioning the authenticity of his protest because he isn't making speeches to inner city youth is weak at best. the protest was a way to get attention to the cause. and it might even be less than that. maybe he just didn't feel right inside, standing for it. I don't bow my head during grace at my family dinners. it isn't out of protest. it's because I don't believe in it. and my family should respect my right to not bow my head.

i don't know if part of the cause was attention, but that's not how he presented it after the fact, so we can't go on anything other than what he has publicly stated.

I'm sure he could have afforded a fine if he wanted to put a sticker on his helmet. But his case isn't against the NFL, it's against the state of the nation.

and why give stock to those in uniform who have an issue with his protest, but dismiss those who don't, and openly support his actions? I find that blatantly biased.

I think it's ludicrous to attribute protesting a national anthem with disrespect to those who have served in the military. national anthems are nothing but governmental patriotic indoctrination mechanisms. I have never understood how national anthems got attached to non-international sporting events. it doesn't make any sense to me at all.

from the statement I read, the 49ers front office are firm in their stance of supporting his right to do what he did. Good for them.

Good stuff Hugh.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited August 2016

I agree with all of this, esp. bolded.

Things you can do in the NFL & not lose fans:

* rape
    * homicide
    * assault
    * domestic violence
    * drugs

Things you can't do:

* sit down during nat'l anthem

Only in 'Murica.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    Army veteran Boyer respects Kaepernick's decision

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17432360
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    From https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/29/colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-protest-fundamentally-american?client=safari

Colin Kaepernick's national anthem protest is fundamentally American
    When interviewed after the game, Kaepernick explained: “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

In many corners, this didn’t go over well, to say the least. Some people burned their Kaepernick jerseys. Many argued that, while Kaepernick may be right to be upset by the thousands of black and brown people killed by police in the US, protesting the flag was not the appropriate way to create change. Others asked why he hates veterans – still others, why he hates America. Yet more people asked why he can’t just stick to football. But every argument against Kaepernick’s protest is wrong. Every single one.

Furthermore, many of them are racist. And the backlash against Kaepernick displays how everyday Americans who would never consider themselves racist can get caught in acts of white supremacy.

For starters, there is nothing more American than protest. It’s built into our history and our mythology. I imagine that those who think protesting during the National Anthem is un-American think that the Boston Tea Party was a literal tea party with tiny cakes and monogrammed napkins.

Just about every major change in this country to bring America closer to its ideals has been brought about by protest. The women’s suffrage movement, the Montgomery bus boycott, labor protests, the Stonewall riots – how much time do you have? If someone can call a group of armed ranchers occupying federal buildings over cattle grazing rules “patriots” while labeling one man sitting to protest the murder of thousands of American citizens “un-American”, it’s time for them to examine their biases and priorities.

To those arguing that Kaepernick’s protest insults veterans: soldiers did not fight and die for a song or a flag. They fought for many other reasons – American ideals of liberty and equality, access to education, economic opportunities, the draft.

And many of these veterans are people of color, who sacrificed overseas only to come home to a country whose service meant nothing to the police officers who only saw their black skin and deemed them a threat. Veterans like Kenneth Chamberlain Sr, who was shot and killed by police in 2011 when his medic alert necklace was accidentally triggered. Veterans like Anthony Hill, who was shot and killed by police this year while suffering from what relatives described as a nonviolent mental health crisis due to PTSD from serving in Afghanistan. Veterans like Elliott Williams, who was left paralyzed, naked and crying for help, unable to reach food or water, on a jail cell floor for six days in 2011 until he died from his injuries and dehydration. These men signed up to fight for us, and Kaepernick is fighting for them.

And to those who would argue that Kaepernick hates America when he should, as a rich sports star, have no complaints: this is one of the few lines that manages to be condescending, racist and ignorant all at once.

Most black people in America did not choose to be here. Most were brought here against their will and still suffer the socio-economic consequences of being treated for hundreds of years as cattle.

Black men in America are 3.5 times more likely than white men to be killed by police, the average white household has 15 times the average net worth of the average black household, one in three black men can expect to see prison in their lifetimes, and the infant mortality rate for black babies is up to three times higher than that of white babies. Despite all this, because Kaepernick happened to win the lottery of talent and circumstance to become a professional athlete, he is supposed to ignore the realities of life for so many others who look like him?

And as to why Colin Kaepernick can’t just stick to football: 68% of professional football players are black, yet only 16% of head coaches are black – and 0% of owners. So if we haven’t been discussing race in football, we’ve been neglecting to do so to the detriment of black players who find that they have little representation in the positions that affect their careers.

Furthermore, the thought that there’s ever a “bad time” to discuss racial oppression and police brutality is incredibly privileged and harmful. Black Americans do not get to decide when to encounter racism and police brutality in America. People have been killed while cosplaying with a toy sword, while reaching for a cellphone, while walking up the stairs to their own apartment. A brown friend of mine was pushed and kicked a few weeks ago by an elderly white lady for daring to walk in front of her in a crosswalk.

We cannot choose when racism affects us, and it is cruel to insist on choosing when discussions of racism affect you. You can be a professional football player, an accountant, a politician, a teacher – if you are black, you cannot escape the harmful and even deadly effects of racism in America. Colin Kaepernick is black every minute of every day of his life, and his money and his fame will not remove that blackness. Nor will they keep him safe when he’s out of uniform.

What Kaepernick has done with his simple protest is brave. He has risked his privilege, his fame and his very career to stand with his fellow black and brown people against the systemic oppression that is literally killing us. This is what team spirit looks like when you look beyond jerseys. This is what American values look like when you stand for all Americans.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    Free said:

* rape
    * homicide
    * assault
    * domestic violence
    * drugs

Things you can't do:

This!

• Options

Yes, I very much agree with all of this.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

I'm gray on this issue unlike both sides. Yes, he's right about how corrupt Americans are of late but you can love the country even if you hate corrupt people that run it. I would just explain that I support the country in a press conference but disagree with corrupt individuals like Trumpary raping this country.

That doesn't give a right for Trumphadists to diss him because:

In fairness to Trump, he ate a deep dish pizza at Lou Malnati's the afternoon of this picture and had a serious case of the Lou's....resulting in his being on the toilet all day.

Kap stinks now & I question his timing.
    If he does go on to become a legitimate activist I am happy to take back this judgement and clap for him.
    You can tell he's cutting one right in that moment.

Poor guy.
    Well, you are what you eat.
  • Options
    Free said:

* rape
    * homicide
    * assault
    * domestic violence
    * drugs

Things you can't do:

Only in 'Murica.
    Who said anything about the NFL losing fans over this?

Do you think the people that took exception to Kap's classless act condone rape, assault, and all those other things you listed? That's weird logic. What a jump.

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited August 2016
    Kapernick would have never made these statements if he wasn't one foot out the door in SF and attemping to make the organization look bad if they cut him...it was self serving ego driven action...he had a platform as a starter and did nothing but get suspended for calling a black athlete the N-word. This guy has zero credibility to understand what its like being black and growing up in those settings. The worst part? he is being radicalized in Islam by his Egyptian gf and he is acting out. Guys shows up to a presser wearing a Castro t-shirt. This guy needs mental help if anything

im amazed how many people are supporting this guy and don't see through his bullshit...this isn't 1972, this isn't the MLK movement, this isn't any civil rights movement or any justifiable First Amendment right...this is a guy crying out for help
    Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

Kapernick would have never made these statements if he wasn't one foot out the door in SF and attemping to make the organization look bad if they cut him...it was self serving ego driven action...he had a platform as a starter and did nothing but get suspended for calling a black athlete the N-word. This guy has zero credibility to understand what its like being black and growing up in those settings. The worst part? he is being radicalized in Islam by his Egyptian gf and he is acting out. Guys shows up to a presser wearing a Castro t-shirt. This guy needs mental help if anything

im amazed how many people are supporting this guy and don't see through his bullshit...this isn't 1972, this isn't the MLK movement, this isn't any civil rights movement or any justifiable First Amendment right...this is a guy crying out for help

Your post says more about you than anything else.
  • Options
    Free said:

pjalive21 said:

I agree
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Y'all get mad at an athlete...this is your government.

But let's continue to beat down a minority athlete who sat down for awareness and protest. Nothing to see here.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited August 2016
    Free said:

pjalive21 said:

yeah it says I can think for myself and see through his BS and not blindly follow someone's empty cause...you wanna believe his cause by all means you and Cliffy can follow it and turn the issue around on me...now that speaks volumes

guys like Kap take away what those did over the years justifiably to fight for an injustice that Kap has never experienced in his life...the same guy suspended for using racial slurs on the field...yup that's the guy I want fighting my cause