Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Boomer Esiason 'disgusted' by Colin Kaepernick, calls QB a 'disgrace'

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/boomer_esiason_disgusted_by_colin_kaepernick_calls.html
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    lukin2006 said:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/boomer_esiason_disgusted_by_colin_kaepernick_calls.html

Says a guy who sits next to Craig Carton for 4+ hours a day...
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

I hate boomer esiason.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562

Would these guys stand for military night?
    Free said:

Y

lukin2006 said:

It's military night in San Diego for the niners game there tonight ... stand or sit on military night? I support his decision to make his own choices, but maybe not a wise choice on military night.

• Options

lukin2006 said:

I hate boomer esiason.
    Yeah his a douche him and Carton kiss Christies ass all the time can't stand him !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    lukin2006 said:

It's military night in San Diego for the niners game there tonight ... stand or sit on military night? I support his decision to make his own choices, but maybe not a wise choice on military night.

With it being military appreciation night at the game tonight if I were Kap I would stand for the anthem. Then later when I'm sure he would be asked why he stood for the anthem.....then answer by saying I stood for those who have served and are serving in the military on this night. This night is for our appreciation of the military and I stand with them and their families. The next game will what it will be and then play well to earn a spot on the team.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    g under p said:

lukin2006 said:

With it being military appreciation night at the game tonight if I were Kap I would stand for the anthem. Then later when I'm sure he would be asked why he stood for the anthem.....then answer by saying I stood for those who have served and are serving in the military on this night. This night is for our appreciation of the military and I stand with them and their families. The next game will what it will be and then play well to earn a spot on the team.

Peace

Very good point ... and agreed.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,881
    edited September 2016

pjhawks said:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-colin-kaepernicks-practice-socks-appear-to-disrespect-the-police/

Has anyone put a number on the number of bad policemen we have? 95% of them? 75%? Maybe less than 10%...

He's an idiot.

Don't be surprised though. I'm not sure who follows the NFL and who doesn't around here, but I can tell you that even before this incident... Kap was one of the least liked players in the NFL by other players.

Among many things, after throwing an interception, he called Lamarr Houston a n***er on the field. Sooo... yah... it's kind of ironic that he resorts to offensive and racist language when angry on the football field... yet the champion for the cause near the height of social awareness.

It's tough for me to reconcile his history with his newfound moral high ground.
    you can be passionate about something and still have been a dick in the past. they are not mutually exclusive. we all have said shit we aren't proud of. his is just broadcast on national tv. mine and yours are not.
    If you were eager to give the guy credit... you could believe whatever you wish about the guy.
    eager to give the guy credit? I'm not even sure what that means.
    Seriously?

I meant if you really wanted to believe he genuinely feels for the movement to such a degree that he would shit on everything the national anthem might mean... you could believe his actions were altruistic.

Knowing only what I have come to know of the guy... it seems more contrived and self serving.

Others have said the same thing in this thread.
    your second paragraph is key: you don't know him. you know him from how he acts at work and how is he portrayed in the media. which is about 5%, if that, of a person's actual character. I have worked with a lot of people in my life. over the years, I have worked with some of my best friends. a few have been absolutely abhorent to work with. that means nothing in the grand scheme.

and national anthems DON'T mean anything. it's pledging allegiance to your government. nothing more.
    to you they don't but maybe to others they do? it does mean something to me for my own personal reasons.
    I think this is a pretty interesting point. Really the only point. To you, the national anthem represents soliders past and present who have sacrificed for their country and that standing at attention for the national anthem is a sign of respect for them. Especially since you consider the fact that you are attending a sporting event as a freedom they are defending

But as mentioned, it means different things to different people. So to Kaepernick, it may represent a salute or homage to a country that he feels is not properly representing or treating a group of people that he associates himself with and therefore does not want to pay that homage at the current time.

So if it means something to you for your personal reasons, it doesn't mean the same thing for everyone and they are not disrespecting the reason that you personally feel it is important to stand.
    And he isnt the first athlete to protest surrounding the anthem or flag and he wont be the last.

Disagree with his action if you choose to. Its your right after all. But respect his right to his speech as well. Tough as it can be , the speech we most disagree with is often times important to this country. Not necessarily for the content of that speech, but rather the right to that speech.

Shameful thing in all of this is how quickly his reason was overshadowed by how he went about it. Really , I think this says loudly , "So fucking what, YOU dont matter. Know your place." Which to my mind proves the point attempting to be made.

Frankly the Hendrix version of the SSB is the only one that should ever be played.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I love cats.

The reason why we even spend seven pages discussing his is airing out differences in opinion.

It's all good. We can disagree. Life would be pretty vanilla if we didn't.

Annie with her x-ray/radar vision says, THANK YOU, THIRTY!

Cats rock.

I'll steal from Tool: the thinking man's pet!

Old blacky looks like he's a lot of fun. Our tabby cracks us up on an hourly basis- and serves up love and affection!

Our daughter needed a pet two years ago. Our lifestyle wouldn't accommodate a dog... so it was a cat. The cat delivered all we could have hoped.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759

brianlux said:

I love cats.

The reason why we even spend seven pages discussing his is airing out differences in opinion.

It's all good. We can disagree. Life would be pretty vanilla if we didn't.

Annie with her x-ray/radar vision says, THANK YOU, THIRTY!

Cats rock.

I'll steal from Tool: the thinking man's pet!

Old blacky looks like he's a lot of fun. Our tabby cracks us up on an hourly basis- and serves up love and affection!

Our daughter needed a pet two years ago. Our lifestyle wouldn't accommodate a dog... so it was a cat. The cat delivered all we could have hoped.
    The fellow who brought us the store cat, Edward is here as I write this. He just said, "Dogs drool, cats rule." :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Kap was picked 20th in my fantasy draft tonight

:rofl:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options

Kap was picked 20th in my fantasy draft tonight

:rofl:

I want in your league.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Two players joined him tonight and he started out well...

Where's this narrative gonna go?
  • Options
    Taking a knee was respectful in my opinion.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

Two players joined him tonight and he started out well...

Where's this narrative gonna go?

Hoping it gets back to what his intial reasoning was to begin with.

• Options
    Kaepernick's staement regarding the socks and how that issue is being used to distract from the current one he emphasizes:

"I wore these socks, in the past, because the rogue cops that are allowed to hold positions in police departments, not only put the community in danger, but also put the cops that have the right intentions in danger by creating an environment of tension and mistrust. I have two uncles and friends who are police officers and work to protect and serve ALL people. So before these socks, which were worn before I took my public stance, are used to distract from the real issues, I wanted to address this immediately."
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

Taking a knee was respectful in my opinion.

Yes, taking a knee was the perfect action for showing respect. Kneeling is a humble act. Well done, Colin.

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Flag love. Odd.
  • Options
    After the game he announced plans to donate $1 million to a number of community organizations, and said he will continue his protest until he sees meaningful change.

http://deadspin.com/why-colin-kaepernick-switched-up-his-protest-1786092913

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited September 2016
    So I just read that he is donating his first $1 million to community programs. I can respect a man who puts his money where his mouth is. I'm still not fond of the sitting through the national anthem strategy. I just hope the donations are not being sent to BLM, but actual community programs that are integrated and doing good work.
  • Options
    seanwonseanwon Posts: 284
    I'm more offended by Kaps haircut than his boycotting the anthem...
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Hippie needs a haircut
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,951
    Jason P said:

Hippie needs a haircut

he's got a good fro going on, not sure if he needs a helmet :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Jason P said:

Hippie needs a haircut

he's got a good fro going on, not sure if he needs a helmet :lol:
    Don't need a helmet, got a big BIG 'fro!
    (he's kneeling, he's kneeling)
  • Options
    Now that we've covered controversial attire and coif (always of great importance, of course!) let's get back to what this is really about which is one man taking advantage of his position to be able to make a difference. Kaepernick has gotten mountains of flack and blast waves of boos but what is he is really doing? He put ti this way:

"Once again, I'm not anti-American. I love America. I love people. That's why I'm doing this. I want to help make America better."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/colin-kaepernick-announces-million-donation-part-plan-protest/story?id=41822972

Wouldn't most of us want to do something like that if we had the power to do so? So many so-called patriotic Americans will simply applaud the pouting rant of that cute little Fox talking blonde head who doesn't have her facts straight and who doesn't exhibit much understanding of the situation while others will stop and look at why all of this is happening in the first place.

We would have done well to have listened to Shirley Chisholm, Dick Gregory, MLK, Stokely Carmichael, Malcolm X, The Last poets decades ago- in some cases clear back before some here were born. We were getting there at one point. Our culture in the late 70's and early 80's in particular was moving us toward this end. In his book Dream Baby, Dream; Suicide, a New York Story, (page 224) Kris Needs writes:

"New York seemed to be entering a more divers and colorful phase, as August Darnell, one of it's brightest central characters, told me, "When it came to the clubs, Manhattan was unbelievable, with every aspect of the musical rainbow that you can imagine. It was extraordinary because you could here soul music in one club, then two doors down the best salsa in the universe, then two doors down from that you'd have punk. Such an incredibly romantic period where people would go and hang out just for the aspect of going out, all ethnic groups in the clubs having a good time in harmony. If you went to CBGB or the Mudd Club you'd find a mixture of people that you wouldn't believe. There was something about that brief time that brought people together; hedonism, escapism, let's have a good time and forget the political and racial divides that are destroying other cities and countries.""

Oh man, yes. I remember that time. Why did it die off? Why did we not build on that? Well, we didn't. Maybe at a few events, what Darnell describes happens and though I don't go to shows very often any more, the ones I have been to lacked that diversity.

But isn't it time we got it together again!? I think Colin Kaepernick and a lot of other folks would like to see happen again.