Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    brianlux said:

gimme, you're in fine form this morning!

I was, haha.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,215
    rgambs said:

pjhawks said:

a former girlfriend of mine who is from australia used to say:

"americans invented 2 things:
    1. Patriotism
    2. Size 4XL shorts"

it is funny how many people are pissed off about a mediocre football player sitting down during the national anthem. who gives a shit what he has to say?

and what the heck is wrong with patriotism? the outsiders make it seem like a bad thing that American's are Patriotic. i don't understand that sentiment at all. yea we are the only ones who play the National Anthem before sporting events, but you know what, maybe we are right the rest of the world is wrong. I think it's great that we play it before every game.
    You think you are better than the whole rest of the world and you don't understand what's wrong with that? Lol
    where did i ever say we were better than the rest of the world?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    pjhawks said:

rgambs said:

pjhawks said:

1. Patriotism
    2. Size 4XL shorts"

it is funny how many people are pissed off about a mediocre football player sitting down during the national anthem. who gives a shit what he has to say?

and what the heck is wrong with patriotism? the outsiders make it seem like a bad thing that American's are Patriotic. i don't understand that sentiment at all. yea we are the only ones who play the National Anthem before sporting events, but you know what, maybe we are right the rest of the world is wrong. I think it's great that we play it before every game.
    You think you are better than the whole rest of the world and you don't understand what's wrong with that? Lol
    I didn't mean you literally, but i didn't have time to couch my terms.

American exceptionalism is a real side effect/intended result of American patriotism, and patriotism in general is a superiority issue.
    If you don't think America is better than everyone else, what is there to be so proud of?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

pjhawks said:

rgambs said:

pjhawks said:

1. Patriotism
    2. Size 4XL shorts"

I didn't mean you literally, but i didn't have time to couch my terms.

American exceptionalism is a real side effect/intended result of American patriotism, and patriotism in general is a superiority issue.
    If you don't think America is better than everyone else, what is there to be so proud of?
    You can be proud and not arrogant. The two are not hand in hand items.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    https://www.africa.upenn.edu/Articles_Gen/Letter_Birmingham.html

It seems like some folks in America could use a refresher on the words of a great man.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Soccer player Megan Ripinoe takes a knee as well....

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/megan-rapinoe-kneels-for-anthem-at-nwsl-match

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Colin Kaepernick surges to No. 3 in NFL jersey sales — up 17 spots — amid national anthem protest

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nfl/colin-kaepernick-surges-to-no-3-in-nfl-jersey-sales-up-17-spots-amid-national-anthem-protest

Hahaha...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    g under p said:

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/megan-rapinoe-kneels-for-anthem-at-nwsl-match

Peace

Uh oh. Prepare for the anti-gay attacks from the Fox news crowd.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    g under p said:

Peace

so that Anthem and Flag was ok for you to represent at the Olympics which you benefited from but now it's not good enough for you? umm ok.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,906
    pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace

so that Anthem and Flag was ok for you to represent at the Olympics which you benefited from but now it's not good enough for you? umm ok.
    your argument might have weight if this occured before or during.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    So let me get this straight.

22 vets commit suicide every day in this country and nobody says anything.

We send our troops across the world to a war based on lies. I protested and was told to get out of this country.

Black man sits down during that anthem and everyone is offended.

What is the real crime here? Seems like we have a lot of misplaced outrage here.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    "Everyone" is not offended.

and....maybe know that because no one speaks about suicides here for whatever purpose it would serve others doesn't mean some are not affected by those actions.

Some have hit quite close to home. Please don't discount silence for lack of feeling.

My outrage is quite well-placed.

• Options
    edited September 2016

We send our troops across the world to a war based on lies. I protested and was told to get out of this country.

What is the real crime here? Seems like we have a lot of misplaced outrage here.

when someone comments on a particular topic, especially in a thread about stated topic, it does not mean that they aren't offended or have comments on other topics like you raised. one can be offended or upset at many things. want people to discuss those topics or others feel free to start threads on them.
  • Options

The first part of this comment could be used for nearly every thread to make it trivial. Cut and paste it in next month's 'cop shoots unarmed man resisting arrest' thread. It'd work the same way.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    tebow?
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    either way his football career is circling the drain no team wants a player who gets negative attention from the fan's, it will be interesting to see how he does next contract.....or is his currant contract at risk now ? anyway you all can thank the media for this hoop-la they should have just ignored him and he would have just been another player on the bench.

Godfather.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

either way his football career is circling the drain no team wants a player who gets negative attention from the fan's, it will be interesting to see how he does next contract.....or is his currant contract at risk now ? anyway you all can thank the media for this hoop-la they should have just ignored him and he would have just been another player on the bench.

Godfather.

What negative attention? His jersey sales jumped 17 spots to number 3, the average fan don't give a shit. In football, if he didn't tell people what he was doing no one would even know, the national anthem is usually not shown on tv and there are so many people on the sidelines at the game you'd be hard pressed to even see anyone sitting during the national anthem. And for those opposed, also must be opposed to freedom of expression and speech ... this is how he chooses to support this particular cause, I much prefer his method of showing his support for those he feels are oppressed than rioting.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace

Well, I believe Kap made his stance after the Olympics not before it started. Rapinoe I believe made her stance due mostly to the negative reaction Kaepernick was getting for his stance. I gather she has had her fights and struggles with her being a part of Lesbian, Gay community.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

Godfather.

It's passive protest from Kap in a sense, in the NFL there is no set rule in any agreement a player MUST stand for the anthem. However, as powerful as the commisioner's office is and who works for the owners if they wanted to say fine Kap they probably could. Then though if they did that ALL that would do is bring even MORE attention to Kap's stance.

In the past I would not stand for the anthem during the heavy fighting from the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. I would just leave the arena/stadium and do something else then return afterwards. That and the multiple times I went down to DC to protest those wars and the fighting in Isarel/Palestine was my way of saying I was not in agreement in our government's actions there.

Peace

• Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Good for you, G!
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617

http://theundefeated.com/features/the-courage-of-colin-kaepernick

The great black poet Langston Hughes grieved in verse, There’s never been equality for me, / Nor freedom in this ‘homeland of the free.’ When Martin Luther King Jr. said that America “is the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today,” and opposed the Vietnam War, he was branded a traitor, who, according to journalist Carl Rowan, had created “the impression that the Negro is disloyal.”

Muhammad Ali was stripped of his title and run out of the ring for his conscientious objection to the Vietnam War. Now all of these figures are heroes
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    JC29856 said:

The great black poet Langston Hughes grieved in verse, There’s never been equality for me, / Nor freedom in this ‘homeland of the free.’ When Martin Luther King Jr. said that America “is the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today,” and opposed the Vietnam War, he was branded a traitor, who, according to journalist Carl Rowan, had created “the impression that the Negro is disloyal.”

Muhammad Ali was stripped of his title and run out of the ring for his conscientious objection to the Vietnam War. Now all of these figures are heroes

I don't think Kaepernick will ever be considered a hero. Lol. He's a sub-par, benchwarming football player who didn't live up to the hype and expectations. I don't have any problem with his protests, Protest away, Colin! I don't have any problem with Rapinoe, or Lane, or any Seattle sports figures protesting either. Doesn't bother me. But if people are going to give Colin sainthood based on this, then I hope there are lots of available slots because he'd set the bar pretty low for hero status. Although I'm sure his mom thinks he's a hero.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Ray Lewis has a statue sitting outside of M&T Bank Stadium. Anyone can become a hero.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,761
    jeffbr said:

JC29856 said:

I don't think Kaepernick will ever be considered a hero. Lol. He's a sub-par, benchwarming football player who didn't live up to the hype and expectations. I don't have any problem with his protests, Protest away, Colin! I don't have any problem with Rapinoe, or Lane, or any Seattle sports figures protesting either. Doesn't bother me. But if people are going to give Colin sainthood based on this, then I hope there are lots of available slots because he'd set the bar pretty low for hero status. Although I'm sure his mom thinks he's a hero.
    I don't think anyone is trying to give him sainthood, Jeff, but I think he does deserve credit for being in a position to be able to take a stand on an important issue and be heard and has taken that opportunity. How many out there who have that opportunity take it? Not very many. Whom among us would do so? Not very many. So yes, I think he does deserve credit for doing so and I'm proud to have him on my home team (and I'm not even much of a football fan.)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    brianlux said:

jeffbr said:

JC29856 said:

I don't think anyone is trying to give him sainthood, Jeff, but I think he does deserve credit for being in a position to be able to take a stand on an important issue and be heard and has taken that opportunity. How many out there who have that opportunity take it? Not very many. Whom among us would do so? Not very many. So yes, I think he does deserve credit for doing so and I'm proud to have him on my home team (and I'm not even much of a football fan.)
    Hi Brian, I'm happy to give him credit for standing up for what he believes. I just don't like the guy (and it doesn't have anything to do with the protest). I guess my inclination toward poking fun at him was heightened when I saw him being compared with Langston Hughes, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Muhammed Ali. If someone really believes that history will hold Kaepernick in the same regard as those men, I'd have to question their perspective and sanity.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,761
    jeffbr said:

brianlux said:

jeffbr said:

JC29856 said:

Hi Brian, I'm happy to give him credit for standing up for what he believes. I just don't like the guy (and it doesn't have anything to do with the protest). I guess my inclination toward poking fun at him was heightened when I saw him being compared with Langston Hughes, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Muhammed Ali. If someone really believes that history will hold Kaepernick in the same regard as those men, I'd have to question their perspective and sanity.
    Hey Jeff, fair enough. It would be a bit like comparing the Te of Piglet to the Tao Te Ching, The Torah,The Bible and The Quran, but they all make statement. But then again I'm sure there are a few who were touched by Benjamin Hoff's words as much as the others...

well, OK, maybe I should have said The Tao of Pooh, lol!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,906
    Considerig the % of blacks in the nfl is 65% , its making a hellava statement. In fact in that light , THEIR silence is deafening.,
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Considerig the % of blacks in the nfl is 65% , its making a hellava statement. In fact in that light , THEIR silence is deafening.,

It's tough to champion your own cause.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    lukin2006 said:

Godfather.

What negative attention? His jersey sales jumped 17 spots to number 3, the average fan don't give a shit. In football, if he didn't tell people what he was doing no one would even know, the national anthem is usually not shown on tv and there are so many people on the sidelines at the game you'd be hard pressed to even see anyone sitting during the national anthem. And for those opposed, also must be opposed to freedom of expression and speech ... this is how he chooses to support this particular cause, I much prefer his method of showing his support for those he feels are oppressed than rioting.
    The jersey sales are meaningless. Going from #20 to #3 is nice, but how many jerseys is that? Some members of the tiny minority that support him are buying jerseys. The huge majority that hate him are not going to run out and buy jerseys of 19 other players just to keep his ranking low.

He'd better regain his form from a couple of years ago in a hurry or he's suiting up for his last season. He's a national villain. Plain and simple.

NFL coaches have a boogey-man. That boogey-man is "distractions." They hate distractions.

This whole thing really is funny. The anthem and the flag, which in theory represent us all, have been tied to the military and if you don't follow some strict code then you are wrong. It's funny to me the social pressure around "how" everyone must be patriotic (and that it's often applied by ignorant nitwits that don't really "get" America anyway). But we've learned there is no wiggle-room on this. There is a constant contest among almost everyone to show who's patriotic...is it reflective of insecurity? I don't really know, but I don't think it's the norm elsewhere.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin