Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

Jason P said:

Hippie needs a haircut

he's got a good fro going on, not sure if he needs a helmet :lol:
    Things I'm confused about ... does he need a helmet a size larger? And how does it poof back into shape in the post game press conference???

Kap and Trump ... Secrets of the Universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ld-twoeg2s
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    I spent all that time composing that post for this? Bye.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:

B, weren't you espousing having some fun on this here forum just recently? C'mon, man. Wish you wouldn't stomp off indignantly, but if it helps for now, so be it.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:

B, weren't you espousing having some fun on this here forum just recently? C'mon, man. Wish you wouldn't stomp off indignantly, but if it helps for now, so be it.
    True! I guess I got too caught up in that thinking "what could be" state of mind. This is now. But it was soo freaking cool what Darnell said in Needs' book and I crave that existence. I would risk my health for it.

But anyway... fucking pity parties. You got me, Hedo! :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,880
    reported cops will boycott ninets games because Kaps protests.

umm, way to kinda reinforcevwhat he is saying while overlooking his statement that most cops do their jobs with respect for all.

whats that saying? when you lay down with dogs.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    brianlux said:

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

True! I guess I got too caught up in that thinking "what could be" state of mind. This is now. But it was soo freaking cool what Darnell said in Needs' book and I crave that existence. I would risk my health for it.

But anyway... fucking pity parties. You got me, Hedo! :smile:
    Did you say pity party???

https://youtu.be/VBmCJEehYtU
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Other players joining his protest and a promise to donate $1 million to community programs. Sounds like he's making a real difference. How many of us can say we have had that kind of impact for change and good?

Doesn't really sound like the piece of shit some have made him out to be.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    dignin said:

Other players joining his protest and a promise to donate $1 million to community programs. Sounds like he's making a real difference. How many of us can say we have had that kind of impact for change and good?

This.

• Options
    dignin said:

I'm one that hasn't gushed about him.

To my defence, Kap has not endeared himself to people in the NFL. It's widely known he is not a great teammate who isn't well liked and he has said and done some stupid things (like calling an opponent a n***er on the field). I still don't agree with his protest (time and place and tactic) and I think the socks cheapened his efforts, however he seems to be taking his cause to the next level and I can at least respect that.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Those who don't support Colin Kaepernick's protest have a fundamental misunderstanding of the concept of democracy in general and America in particular.
    http://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/09/03/frog-no-longer-boiling-its-dead

• Options
    Free said:

Those who don't support Colin Kaepernick's protest have a fundamental misunderstanding of the concept of democracy in general and America in particular.
    http://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/09/03/frog-no-longer-boiling-its-dead

No. They do. They just have a different value system where context impacts their opinion of the matter.
  • Options
    Oh so you didn't read the article.
  • Options
    Free said:

Oh so you didn't read the article.

The 'opinion' you linked? No.
  • Options
    Typical. Your opinion is what's right and everyone else is wrong. :eye roll
  • Options
    Free said:

it IS an op-ed is it not?

• Options
    The frog of American democracy is no longer boiling, it’s dead. How do I know? By observing the public response to the actions undertaken during the last week by San Francisco 49ers quarterback, Colin Kaepernick.

That a certain sector of our country gets upset at the slightest criticism of policemen and/or the military is nothing new. Uniform worship has a long history in this country, especially in the years since World War II when our government decided to dispense with any pretense of preferring democratic republicanism to empire, and as an integral part of that transformation, launched a consensus-management program designed to normalize and exalt the virtues of ceding individual prerogative to the always “responsible” and “benevolent” men in blue and green.

But even during the darkest moments of this post-war period, there was almost always been a sizable group of people, on both the left and the right, who resisted the hierarchical logic of this uniform-worship because they understood that it is, and always will be, absolutely incompatible with both the day-to- day dignity of the citizenry and that same citizenry’s pursuit of real democracy.

But this no longer seems to be the case. Sure, there have been numerous people who have voiced support for Kaepernick’s right to do what he has done and right to say what he has said.

But almost every one the defenses I have heard or read in the mainstream media has been accompanied by long qualifications designed to insure that no one ever be able to question the Kaepernick defender’s deep and abiding respect and veneration for all that our “heroes in uniform” do on our behalf.

It is, like so many—sadly, mostly liberal—position-takings in our time, a weaselly pose. It is designed to let the would-be defender of the athlete appear principled without having to confront the structural issues posed to our civic culture by the presence of a heavily-armed caste of uniformed people who, if we are to judge by the statement’s made by their official spokespeople, clearly believe that they live in a very separate ethical and moral space than the rest of us.

Take, for example, the recent letter from San Francisco Police Officers Association leader, Martin Halloran to San Francisco 49ers President, Jed York, and NFL commissioner, Roger Goodell, demanding that they apologize to the many police officers Kaepernick has “disrespected”.

Mr. Halloran and the people and the people he represents are, as they have ceaselessly reminded us over the last 15 years, public servants. This means that they work for us, and are, in the final analysis, subject to our discipline, and if we view it as warranted, our censure, as often as we care to dish it out.

Mr. Halloran, no doubt emboldened by the concerted post 9-11 proapaganda effort to glorify all thing having to do with the military and the police, has turned this core democratic logic on its head. Like a medieval lord, convinced of his superior status before God, he demands that the non-gun- toting subjects of his realm kneel before him in praise, and should one of these minions ever slip up and voice criticism of the always impollute actions of the lord and his chosen vassals, that this reprobate rapidly demand forgiveness from the masters.

This is bullying, pure and simple.

The big problem is not that it exists. To paraphrase the great teacher from Galilee, “the bullies, you will always have with you”. What ultimately matters is how the great mass of the population, especially its more secure and comfortable sectors, chooses to respond to the outrageous antics of such people.

The results so far are not encouraging. We have a probable majority of the country in favor of punishing and/or silencing Kaepernick. Beside them, is a smaller but sill sizable group that supports his technical right to speak out, but either feel he probably should not have criticized the blue lords so directly, or, worse yet, support his criticism, but are afraid to say this in a forthright and unambiguous manner.

The great Italian essayist Indro Montanelli once said, in so many words, that to have a functioning democracy, you must first have democrats. Being a small-d democrat implies many things. Perhaps the most basic of these is to understand, and to firmly believe, that no person or group of persons, especially those working explicitly in the public trust, are fundamentally more worthy than others.

Be it as a result of fear, or our government-media complex’s long campaign of pro-authoritarian propaganda, it seems, sadly, that only a small minority of Americans still understand this fundamental trait of the democratic mind.
  • Options
    Free said:

No.

My opinion is my opinion and I'm going to voice it if so inclined.

You're the one that uses terms 'right' and 'wrong'. Look at what you wrote in the post I originally quoted: "Those who don't support Colin Kaepernick's protest have a fundamental misunderstanding of the concept of democracy in general and America in particular."

Hmmm. Doesn't leave much room for an opinion outside of your's huh? "Typical" (said with the same snotty nosed tone you used for me).

For the record... I use the terms 'different' and 'disagree'.
  • Options

• Options

Free said:

No.

You're the one that uses terms 'right' and 'wrong'. Look at what you wrote in the post I originally quoted: "Those who don't support Colin Kaepernick's protest have a fundamental misunderstanding of the concept of democracy in general and America in particular."

Hmmm. Doesn't leave much room for an opinion outside of your's huh? "Typical" (said with the same snotty nosed tone you used for me).

That was with the article, that's why it's quoted.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    mickeyrat said:

reported cops will boycott ninets games because Kaps protests.

umm, way to kinda reinforcevwhat he is saying while overlooking his statement that most cops do their jobs with respect for all.

whats that saying? when you lay down with dogs.....

these cops are butthurt. you have 2 men on the 49ers staging a protest. you have tens of thousands of people to protect. do your fucking jobs, or get off of the tax payer money.. this police union has skin as thick as trump's.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    CK has the right to free speech. as long as he is not dumb enough to actually try it.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    if i could grow a fro like that, i would. no question.

• Options
    gimme, you're in fine form this morning!

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    Free said:

Free said:

No.

You quoted directly from the piece? You never paraphrased (placing the ideas into your own words... and then crediting the source)?
  • Options

Free said:

Free said:

No.

You quoted directly from the piece? You never paraphrased (placing the ideas into your own words... and then crediting the source)?
    FWIW I couldnt tell initially that was a quote. My read was his statement , then article to back it up.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

Free said:

Free said:

No.

FWIW I couldnt tell initially that was a quote. My read was his statement , then article to back it up.
    This is what I had presumed. I'm prepared to offer an apology for my confusion if I was wrong.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    pjhawks said:

a former girlfriend of mine who is from australia used to say:

"americans invented 2 things:
    1. Patriotism
    2. Size 4XL shorts"

it is funny how many people are pissed off about a mediocre football player sitting down during the national anthem. who gives a shit what he has to say?

and what the heck is wrong with patriotism? the outsiders make it seem like a bad thing that American's are Patriotic. i don't understand that sentiment at all. yea we are the only ones who play the National Anthem before sporting events, but you know what, maybe we are right the rest of the world is wrong. I think it's great that we play it before every game.
    You think you are better than the whole rest of the world and you don't understand what's wrong with that? Lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?