Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    pjalive21 said:

Free said:

pjalive21 said:

Kapernick would have never made these statements if he wasn't one foot out the door in SF and attemping to make the organization look bad if they cut him...it was self serving ego driven action...he had a platform as a starter and did nothing but get suspended for calling a black athlete the N-word. This guy has zero credibility to understand what its like being black and growing up in those settings. The worst part? he is being radicalized in Islam by his Egyptian gf and he is acting out. Guys shows up to a presser wearing a Castro t-shirt. This guy needs mental help if anything

im amazed how many people are supporting this guy and don't see through his bullshit...this isn't 1972, this isn't the MLK movement, this isn't any civil rights movement or any justifiable First Amendment right...this is a guy crying out for help

Your post says more about you than anything else.

yeah it says I can think for myself and see through his BS and not blindly follow someone's empty cause...you wanna believe his cause by all means you and Cliffy can follow it and turn the issue around on me...now that speaks volumes

guys like Kap take away what those did over the years justifiably to fight for an injustice that Kap has never experienced in his life...the same guy suspended for using racial slurs on the field...yup that's the guy I want fighting my cause
    Love how you know all of this guys life experiences...
  • Options
    a former girlfriend of mine who is from australia used to say:

"americans invented 2 things:
    1. Patriotism
    2. Size 4XL shorts"

it is funny how many people are pissed off about a mediocre football player sitting down during the national anthem. who gives a shit what he has to say?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    why do we even play the national anthem at sporting events anyway?

my theory is that they have to, otherwise when else would a group of americans hear that song and get whipped up into how great their country is?

seriously, when, besides sporting events, does your average american even hear that song?

to me playing the anthem at sporting events makes as much sense as playing "god bless america" during the 7th inning stretch.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    If we have to have a song before each game, why not something baseball related? "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" or or Fogerty's "Centerfield" or or Neil Young, "Hey Babe" (LOL!) Would be so much more fitting, no?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

If we have to have a song before each game, why not something baseball related? "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" or or Fogerty's "Centerfield" or or Neil Young, "Hey Babe" (LOL!) Would be so much more fitting, no?

i agree.

i think the only reason they play it at cardinal games is so some youth or school choirs can go on the field and sing. most times the stadium is only 25% full at the time. nobody cares to hear it.

• Options

why do we even play the national anthem at sporting events anyway?

my theory is that they have to, otherwise when else would a group of americans hear that song and get whipped up into how great their country is?

seriously, when, besides sporting events, does your average american even hear that song?

to me playing the anthem at sporting events makes as much sense as playing "god bless america" during the 7th inning stretch.

I agree that 'God Bless America' in the 7th inning stretch is over the top- not to mention a horribly sounding song that does enforce the patriotism that Kap supporters here allude to.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited September 2016
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity how many people that have posted in this thread stands during the national anthem?
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Just out of curiosity how many people that have posted in this thread stands during the national anthem?

I do. And in the line "our flag was still there" I give a Jim Cornelison salute on the word there.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,196

1. Patriotism
    2. Size 4XL shorts"

it is funny how many people are pissed off about a mediocre football player sitting down during the national anthem. who gives a shit what he has to say?

and what the heck is wrong with patriotism? the outsiders make it seem like a bad thing that American's are Patriotic. i don't understand that sentiment at all. yea we are the only ones who play the National Anthem before sporting events, but you know what, maybe we are right the rest of the world is wrong. I think it's great that we play it before every game.
  • Options

I always do at every event and when Mike plays it every body stands too !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    This quote "maybe we are right the rest of the world is wrong." is the problem people from other countries see in American patriotism.
  • Options

This quote "maybe we are right the rest of the world is wrong." is the problem people from other countries see in American patriotism.

I guess you missed or ignored the 'maybe' part of the line above.
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited September 2016

1. Patriotism
    2. Size 4XL shorts"

And you let her get away? What a grand slam burn!
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options

1. Patriotism
    2. Size 4XL shorts"

And you let her get away? What a grand slam burn!
    It didn't work out. I tried.

• Options
    pjhawks said:

1. Patriotism
    2. Size 4XL shorts"

and what the heck is wrong with patriotism? the outsiders make it seem like a bad thing that American's are Patriotic. i don't understand that sentiment at all. yea we are the only ones who play the National Anthem before sporting events, but you know what, maybe we are right the rest of the world is wrong. I think it's great that we play it before every game.
    Nothing is wrong with actual patriotism. What is going on here is false patriotism. Would this have happened to Joe Montana? What about Steve Young? This is bashing a failing athlete by slamming him for a lack of patriotism. This is ignoring the fact that thousands of vets have posted in support of him staying that they served to defend his right to speak. They did not serve for a stupid song.

The rest of the world views our insistence on playing the anthem at sporting events as odd. As nationalism, as nativism. As xenophobia. I can see their point, and I agree with them.

Maybe. Just maybe, We can all start thinking that if the rest of the world is against us for some reason, maybe it is not them who is wrong?

• Options
    edited September 2016

pjhawks said:

1. Patriotism
    2. Size 4XL shorts"

Nothing is wrong with actual patriotism. What is going on here is false patriotism. Would this have happened to Joe Montana? What about Steve Young? This is bashing a failing athlete by slamming him for a lack of patriotism. This is ignoring the fact that thousands of vets have posted in support of him staying that they served to defend his right to speak. They did not serve for a stupid song.

The rest of the world views our insistence on playing the anthem at sporting events as odd. As nationalism, as nativism. As xenophobia. I can see their point, and I agree with them.

Maybe. Just maybe, We can all start thinking that if the rest of the world is against us for some reason, maybe it is not them who is wrong?
    thanks for telling me that my patriotism is false. and yes if Joe Montana or Steve Walsh didn't stand for the National Anthem the same reaction would occur. i'm glad that some vets posted their support for Kapernick. It shows you that in our country even our servicemen can have different opinions and are free to express those opinions without resprisals. I just hope i didn't offend other countries by pointing this out.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

1. Patriotism
    2. Size 4XL shorts"

thanks for telling me that my patriotism is false. but ill conform to the rest of the world to make you and them happy...to do that ill start watching soccer :unamused:
    Where did I say YOUR patriotism is false? I said the people who are attacking this guy are doing so under the guise of false patriotism. He sat during the national anthem. Big fucking deal.

These people are so offended that a guy sat during a song, but they are completely ambivalent towards things that they SHOULD be angry about. Things such as poverty, unjust and illegal wars, and police brutality against minorities.

It is hard to recognize that these things exist, and it is even harder to try to fix them. So let's just hate a rich quarterback because it is easier.

Frankly I don't care what you conform with. I was just pointing out how we are perceived by the rest of the world.

• Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

1. Patriotism
    2. Size 4XL shorts"

thanks for telling me that my patriotism is false. but ill conform to the rest of the world to make you and them happy...to do that ill start watching soccer :unamused:
    Where did I say YOUR patriotism is false? I said the people who are attacking this guy are doing so under the guise of false patriotism. He sat during the national anthem. Big fucking deal.

These people are so offended that a guy sat during a song, but they are completely ambivalent towards things that they SHOULD be angry about. Things such as poverty, unjust and illegal wars, and police brutality against minorities.

It is hard to recognize that these things exist, and it is even harder to try to fix them. So let's just hate a rich quarterback because it is easier.

Frankly I don't care what you conform with. I was just pointing out how we are perceived by the rest of the world.
    when did anyone ever say they weren't offended by poverty, unjust wars and police brutality? why can't someone like me be against those things and think Kaepernick's actions were disrespectful? they are not mutually exclusive things. you can have both.

all i've said is I think Kaepernick's action was disrespectful. that's just my opinion but you seem to want to bash me and others for having that opinion. thankfully we live in a country where everyone is free to express their opinions, even our servicemen.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465
    I have no problem with Kaepernick's actions.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Patriotism is a disease.

NFL pushes military down our throats, gotta keep the propaganda strong.

National anthem at sporting events is odd.

Even odder elementary students 'Pledging allegiance' to the flag. very odd. Remember how they used to do it?

• Options
    Smellyman said:

Patriotism is a disease.
    Even odder elementary students 'Pledging allegiance' to the flag. very odd. Remember how they used to do it?

It is so hard to forget that I am on an American dominated site. Smellyman - Am I to assume that you sit when the anthem is played?
  • Options

Smellyman said:

Patriotism is a disease.

It is so hard to forget that I am on an American dominated site. Smellyman - Am I to assume that you sit when the anthem is played?
    I am not a dick, why would you assume that? Plus there are too many slack jawed yokels at sporting events who would wanna 'kick my ass' because they are 'Patriotic'!

I stand and sit at a catholic church even though that is odd.

I bow my head in moments of silence to people I didn't know.

In other countries I respect things I find odd out of respect.

I can still think it is odd to play the national anthem at sporting events and do the 'pledge of allegiance' in elementary school.
  • Options

brianlux said:

i agree.

i think the only reason they play it at cardinal games is so some youth or school choirs can go on the field and sing. most times the stadium is only 25% full at the time. nobody cares to hear it.
    And think how many more would show up knowing something that rocks is going to open the game- even, say, a cool local or garage band kickin' out a good number, something fun. Hell, going to a ballgame, any ballgame, means going out and having a good time, not getting all flag waving and righteous like.

As for Kaepernick, my take is that I respect the act for what it is- a guy taking an action that speaks louder than words. How many of us get that opportunity? Good for you, Colin. From what I know and have heard, I get the feeling he did what he did because he meant it, nothing more, nothing less. I don't see him trying to make himself the martyr or hero or whatever ever thing some people see. The demonizing is to be expected by some- oh well. I think the guy is straight ahead about this. I'm not saying we should make him a martyr or a saint or anything- but at least hear what he said about why he did it. I'm good with it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Smellyman said:

Patriotism is a disease.

I remember it being more like the hand over the heart thing-- but same difference really. All ritual and rote and nobody really into it.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Smellyman said:

Patriotism is a disease.

I remember it being more like the hand over the heart thing-- but same difference really. All ritual and rote and nobody really into it.
    brianlux said:

Smellyman said:

Patriotism is a disease.

I only remember the hand over heart too, I am not that old!

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Smellyman said:

brianlux said:

Smellyman said:

Patriotism is a disease.

brianlux said:

Smellyman said:

Patriotism is a disease.

Any idea what years the Nazi hand thing was going on? That's freaky!

• Options
    brianlux said:

Smellyman said:

brianlux said:

Smellyman said:

Patriotism is a disease.

brianlux said:

Smellyman said:

Patriotism is a disease.

Any idea what years the Nazi hand thing was going on? That's freaky!
    Changed to heart in 42''