Options

European Tour Sales = Desaster

Comments

• Options
    raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    stones said:
    Anyone think Ed will do some UK media appearances to hype the new album and sell some Tottenham tickets whilst he's in London for the Teenage Cancer Trust show?
    Tequila at Lafayette, maybe. 3/21. 
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,495
    For people on this forum who think that $12K for a European vacation is outlandish, they should know that our 19-year-old twins are in college, and we spend about $7,500 each month they're living on campus (living expenses and tuition/fees). Taking that into consideration, the aforementioned 16-day vacation for my wife and myself seems fairly inexpensive. 
    Maybe you should understand that most Europeans live in a very different world when it comes to salary and cost of living. 
    Very few people here would be able to pay 7.500 per months for 2 kids attending University or 12.000 for a 2-week vacation…If you add the fact that we have a very different relation to money, your comments might be considered quite rude by most people in Europe, especially in Eastern and Southern Europe. Cultural differences.
    Most people everywhere have a difficult time to afford that, and not just in Europe.
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,249
    stones said:
    Anyone think Ed will do some UK media appearances to hype the new album and sell some Tottenham tickets whilst he's in London for the Teenage Cancer Trust show?
    Not a chance surely? They're going to avoid any risk of being questioned about pricing methods/sales. Positive press only.
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,231
    raindog80 said:
    I don't think that bringing out these "things" facilitates a healthy discussion between fans. Furthermore, I think that European fans, in terms of purchasing, are very different from Americans, not only in terms of salaries but because of their ethical principles.
    Lol if not buying a concert ticket because you find it too expensive is about ethics I'm about up for sainthood
  • Options
    I hadn't considered the strong moral resolve I was showing by skipping the last Black Crowes tour
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 665
    pjl44 said:
    I hadn't considered the strong moral resolve I was showing by skipping the last Black Crowes tour
    Read Steve Gorman’s book and see that this statement is actually very true
  • Options
    kmcmanus said:
    pjl44 said:
    Great book! I would have seen them if the venues were smaller and ticket prices were lower. As much as it pains me to admit it, they did an unusually good job on the hired guns they brought in.
  • Options
    Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 279
    pjl44 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    pjl44 said:
    Great book! I would have seen them if the venues were smaller and ticket prices were lower. As much as it pains me to admit it, they did an unusually good job on the hired guns they brought in.
    They always do. You look at the musicians they've had in BC over the years, plus those from their solo projects and the Brotherhood, they're all tremendous. They certainly know talent.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,859
    no Glastonbury for PJ. thank god Glastonbury 2024 line-up poster
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 157
    pjl44 said:
    Ticket prices for their Uk spring 24 tour are much lower - seems they learned a lesson.
  • Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 157
    just_one said:
    Zen23 said:
    Please let's not discuss individual wealth and the subjective feeling of being rich. When will the prices for Barcelona finally go down?
    Yeah just stop that please.

Back on topic,  after the album releases probably.
    Also a strong marketing in Barcelona would help a lot.

It did here in lisbon when blink 182 played. Lots of posters all over the country i remember 2/3 months before the show.
    Depends on how good the album is I guess - if it’s as average as Gigaton then meh.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,741
    or anything good at all really......that is without a shadow of a doubt the worst line up I've ever seen there. I'm glad I'm done with Glasto these days, I'm either way too old and uncool - or that is a desperately lacking schedule 

I did Glasto every time between 1997 - 2005 and had a blast but it was definitely going down the toilet the last time I went, it was no longer a fun weekend in a field but a full on corporate event with its identity disappearing up its arse. The demographic of the crowd had vastly changed and the fun was slipping away. 

'Put your flags down and stick them up your arses'.

Yes I am getting old
  • Options
    Tjm007 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Ticket prices for their Uk spring 24 tour are much lower - seems they learned a lesson.
    About the same. They wanted 75 quid for the last tour, which got cut significantly from the original amount of dates, and have dynamic ticket pricing in play for the seats in London.
  • Options
    just checked the Uk ticket sales, and all considered they are definitely not a disaster. The few tickets left for Manchester are clearly no longer moving but there isnt really a great deal available in there now. 

London is doing fairly well apart from the upper tier facing the stage. That is of course if the graphics are accurate. 
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,987
    pdalowsky said:
    just checked the Uk ticket sales, and all considered they are definitely not a disaster. The few tickets left for Manchester are clearly no longer moving but there isnt really a great deal available in there now. 

London is doing fairly well apart from the upper tier facing the stage. That is of course if the graphics are accurate. 
    yeah manchester will sold out by show time , the problem with london is that the upper tier in question is huge
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

There's the thing. Whole rows or blocks get removed/added as the algorithm sees fit. We'll only see a true picture in the week or so before. 
  • Options
    Tjm007 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Yes, same in the US. Smaller rooms too. I still want to see a setlist before I take the plunge but it's a big improvement.
  • Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 355
    pdalowsky said:

Don't be fooled by the Ticketmaster graphic for London. It's not just the upper tier behind the goal line. Large parts of the lower tier have been removed from sale for the time being. Take a look at sections 248 to 260 in the lower tier. Areas with blue dots are separated from areas with gray dots symmetrically and precisely as if with a scalpel.
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,111
    I wonder if some people heading to Glastonbury will now resell their tickets and see PJ at Tottenham instead given how poor the lineup is 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,231
    edited March 14
    pdalowsky said:
    or anything good at all really......that is without a shadow of a doubt the worst line up I've ever seen there. I'm glad I'm done with Glasto these days, I'm either way too old and uncool - or that is a desperately lacking schedule 

I did Glasto every time between 1997 - 2005 and had a blast but it was definitely going down the toilet the last time I went, it was no longer a fun weekend in a field but a full on corporate event with its identity disappearing up its arse. The demographic of the crowd had vastly changed and the fun was slipping away. 

Yes I am getting old
    In what world can someone call PJ Harvey, Idles and The National not "anything good at all really"...

(not saying that, that lineup would be worth buying a ticket for me)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,251
    My world 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

Yes I am getting old
    In what world can someone call PJ Harvey, Idles and The National not "anything good at all really"...

It was a remark based on the line up overall. Its shit. IMO of course. As much as I wanted to like the Idles, I'll be honest i dont really get them at all. PJ Harvey I saw a few times in the 90's, she was ok but generally nothing special. 

Theres little on that line up that screams 'must see' to me, and considering the punters all forked out north of £400 a pop to go before seeing the acts, I would be a little gutted by this. 

I am sure there will be a lot of people however who are thrilled, which is the beauty of differing opinions
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,231
    My world 
    Not my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRQpnJ37Iw8

But sure. Taste is subjective
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 279
    drfox said:
    I wonder if some people heading to Glastonbury will now resell their tickets and see PJ at Tottenham instead given how poor the lineup is 
    Naaaah if you're only going there just for the music line-up then you're missing the point of Glastonbury. That said.... the line-up is truly awful. I'm sure The Smile will do an unannounced set to improve things.
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:

Yes I am getting old

It was a remark based on the line up overall. Its shit. IMO of course. As much as I wanted to like the Idles, I'll be honest i dont really get them at all. PJ Harvey I saw a few times in the 90's, she was ok but generally nothing special. 

Theres little on that line up that screams 'must see' to me, and considering the punters all forked out north of £400 a pop to go before seeing the acts, I would be a little gutted by this. 

I am sure there will be a lot of people however who are thrilled, which is the beauty of differing opinions
    They've done relatively well in a year that seems to be impacted with not many acts being available of headliner level, or at least ones who are willing to play for the much reduced fees on offer. They've had at least 2 headliner level acts cancel tours late in negotiations too (Steview Wonder/Olivia Rodrigo - I don't believe Madonna was ever an option). I'm sure the TV viewers will enjoy a good percentage of what's been announced, given these will remain the only televised stages, and it covers most of the Radio 1/2/6 crowds tastes. 

Having paid the £75 deposit, with a further £285 to pay/and the ability to throw the ticket back before mid May at a loss of £25 admin fee), I can find "£360 worth" in what's been announced so far, there's easily 10-12 acts I'd definitely see and that don't clash/appear on other line-ups I will see, with a further 10-15 stages I'm waiting to see line-ups from. I'd be much more ecstatic about it if I'd not already got an End Of The Road ticket; there's a fair cross-over this time.

I'm certain that there'll end up being more than enough to see that will be enjoyable, and some irritating clashes, but am a tad underwhelmed at the moment. It may be the first time I do either not pay off the balance or seek refund before the last cancellation date. 
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,367
    There aren’t single day Tix for Glasto? 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    There aren’t single day Tix for Glasto? 
    They do Sunday tickets for people that live within a very short distance of the festival. Otherwise, it's your full 5 day ticket only. 
    Since 2008 it's sold out every year within 90 minutes and no bands being announced. You pay a deposit, currently £75, in October and the balance in April. If you pay off your ticket, you still have until early May to return ticket and only "lose" a £25 deposit. 
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 336
    Now that is a shitty lineup, WOW
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,603
    pdalowsky said:
    or anything good at all really......
    Dua Lipa is great. She puts out one fantastic single after another.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    matt84matt84 Posts: 608
    Haijay said:
    Now that is a shitty lineup, WOW
    Worst Glasto line-up there has ever been.