Options

European Tour Sales = Desaster

Comments

• Options
    Well, there's still quite a bit of time for them to sell additional tickets. I mean, it's only mid-April. 
  • Options
    One thing I don't understand is why they tend to visit the same cities too often. That certainly contributes to the situation, regardless of ticket costs. I mean, instead of going to Berlin over and over and over and over, they should play in Munich instead. Furthermore, while they're on the Emerald Isle, they should play in Belfast too (not just Dublin). Those are just a couple examples of what I mean. More location variability would help. 
  • Options
    Since the band is sooooo damn popular in Portugal, maybe they should also play in Lisbon and Porto. That's my suggestion anyway. 
  • Options
    Benz said:
    I think it is complete nonsense that the ticket prices have to be that high to cover their costs.
    I have just seen Dave Matthews Band in Berlin for 80€ and have tickets for Dua Lipa in Berlin for 90€ GA.
    I cannot believe that those acts will not have their costs covered.
    Their tour are not a 6 gigs tour....
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,010
    Through choice 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    JackD.JackD. Posts: 483
    edited April 18
    Benz said:
    I think it is complete nonsense that the ticket prices have to be that high to cover their costs.
    I have just seen Dave Matthews Band in Berlin for 80€ and have tickets for Dua Lipa in Berlin for 90€ GA.
    Dua Lipa’s tour actually is. Und DMB plays smaller venues. I understand anyone who tries to justify what our favorite band does but I guess we all have to cave in and accept that they are charging high prices because they can and want to. They tour would be feasible with 50€ less per ticket for sure.
  • Options
    marumarukomarumaruko Frankfurt / Calgary Posts: 86
    edited April 18
    One thing I don't understand is why they tend to visit the same cities too often. That certainly contributes to the situation, regardless of ticket costs. I mean, instead of going to Berlin over and over and over and over, they should play in Munich instead. Furthermore, while they're on the Emerald Isle, they should play in Belfast too (not just Dublin). Those are just a couple examples of what I mean. More location variability would help. 
     I think they will in the next years. Berlin will be getting two shows this year, but most likely none in the next 2 years, or however long they tour with this album. 
    As for some countries however, I think they are too small and travel is too easy to really split up and try a venue they don't know well. In Portugal for example, Lisbon is a great hub for all kinds of events and Porto e.g. would be just 3hours by bus. 

Germany, being a bit bigger, could get Hamburg and Munich. But for Munich, if they come in summer (as they do) the only proper size related option they have is the old olympic stadium which they most likely couldn't fill, Adele's Messe open air set up which they couldn't fill and a situation like Königsplatz where you have only standing. 
    However, I'd love to see them in Olympiahalle in spring or fall (it's terrible in summer) or the new SAP Garden. They already play hockey and basketball arenas in the US and Canada, why not here. Huge bonus for not being as large as Lanxess Arena in Cologne. 

Post edited by marumaruko on
  • Options
    Zen23Zen23 Posts: 345
    It might even be enough to charge 120 euros instead of 170 euros, at least from level 2 / middle tier upwards of the respective venue. Those who absolutely want to sit in the lower tier simply have to pay 170 euros. And for those who find it too expensive, the price of 120 euros is comparable to the price charged in previous years. They would not have caused nearly as much trouble and would have sold far more than they have now. But even after two months of advance sales, they are not thinking of changing this.

Instead, Ticketmaster has decided to take individual rows, individual sections and, since yesterday, even entire tiers off sale in order to continue to sell these 170 euro tickets in the upper tiers, which nobody wanted to buy for that price before.
  • Options
     I think they will in the next years. Berlin will be getting two shows this year, but most likely none in the next 2 years, or however long they tour with this album. 
    As for some countries however, I think they are too small and travel is too easy to really split up and try a venue they don't know well. In Portugal for example, Lisbon is a great hub for all kinds of events and Porto e.g. would be just 3hours by bus. 

Germany, being a bit bigger, could get Hamburg and Munich. But if they come in summer (as they do) the only proper size related option they have is the old olympic stadium which they most likely couldn't fill, Adele's Messe open air set up which they couldn't fill and a situation like Königsplatz where you have only standing. 
    However, I'd love to see them in Olympiahalle in spring or fall (it's terrible in summer) or the new SAP Garden. They already play hockey and basketball arenas in the US and Canada, why not here. Huge bonus for not being as large as Lanxess Arena in Cologne. 

I think all the ideas are great. Simply a nice change. But the way this presale has gone so far and will probably go on for some time, I can well imagine - unfortunately - that they won't be back in two years' time. And that there will - unfortunately - be a longer break for Europe.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,813
    If in fact they can not make a profit unless ticket sales in Europe are at the price they are the next tour over there is going to be drastically different you would think. 

Not having Italy or Amsterdam as places they were going is a real head scratcher. I have no clue what the lower ticket prices were in 2014 but Italy had one of if not the largest non festival show ever for this band.

Also if the cost have risen so much why would you add production to your show in a way that would make it more expensive to perform? And in doing so not allowing behind the stage seating at a discounted price to allow the total average standard price for most fans to be lower?
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,972
    If Ed's comments reflect reality then Pearl Jam won't be touring Europe again any time soon. If rising costs can only be met through charging £150+ for a ticket then clearly the demand isn't there to make it work. 

However, I do think they'll be back and prices will be more in line with bands of a similar stature.  

On a side note, if there was a real desire to stop touts, technology is available to largely eradicate the secondary market. It feels convenient to say secondary market prices are the reason for dynamic pricing. I think we all know the reason behind the handling of ticket prices, let's just be open and honest. 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,720
    I remember waiting 6 whole years between 2000 and 2006 for the band to return to the UK.....we are at a stage in their careers that we can't afford that time period again. I wish they'd take my £150 every year to be honest. But thats just me. 
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,974
    pdalowsky said:
    I remember waiting 6 whole years between 2000 and 2006 for the band to return to the UK.....we are at a stage in their careers that we can't afford that time period again. I wish they'd take my £150 every year to be honest. But thats just me. 
    i have the same feeling. they wont be around for much more , yes the tickets are expensive but if i can afford it i will go.
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,170
    pdalowsky said:
    It's not just you
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,972
    Me too, I have bought tickets to four shows this year. But there's been a definite change in approach and I've have more respect if Ed just owned it rather than create excuses that aren't likely to hold up to much scrutiny. 

I promised myself not to get into the ticket price debate again and just look forward to the shows, but here I am again, haha! 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    Well I'm the other end of the rope. It's unaffordable. But again I'm ok with it. I just think it's a bit rich. And honestly it's left a bad taste with me even if I don't get to go I still feel like it's not a nice feeling to pay 170 to go to a stadium 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,170
    Well I'm the other end of the rope. It's unaffordable. But again I'm ok with it. I just think it's a bit rich. And honestly it's left a bad taste with me even if I don't get to go I still feel like it's not a nice feeling to pay 170 to go to a stadium 
    Yes sorry I didn't mean I think the prices are OK just that I will pay it as we don't know how many tours are left 
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,084
    tino_11 said:
    If Ed's comments reflect reality then Pearl Jam won't be touring Europe again any time soon. If rising costs can only be met through charging £150+ for a ticket then clearly the demand isn't there to make it work. 

However, I do think they'll be back and prices will be more in line with bands of a similar stature.  

On a side note, if there was a real desire to stop touts, technology is available to largely eradicate the secondary market. It feels convenient to say secondary market prices are the reason for dynamic pricing. I think we all know the reason behind the handling of ticket prices, let's just be open and honest. 
    Everyone is still going on about prices but as per my previous comments I’m absolutely certain the main issue was the late announcement and people already having tickets for other shows. It’s why Kings of Leon hasn’t sold out either. 

Hopefully the lesson learned by the band’s promoter is to announce a June//July tour in October/November in the future or (would love this to happen but doubtful) tour U.K./Europe at a less busy time of the year
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 347
    Agreed a lame answer that doesn't stack up
    He would have looked better by not doing the interview. There were some obvious follow up questions that could have been asked. 
  • Options
    Oh well I'm sure the shows will be what everyone hopes
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,247
    I'm worried about Bruce's EU tour now though, if Ed's theory of 175 euro per ticket is needed to not lose money, with the highest prices being £175 (London) before dynamic BS kicked in, and on average outside of the UK a good deal lower, with a 20 piece band and crew to get around, they must be living on ramen and sleeping on the ground under the trucks in order to not lose money. That's not good for a bunch of 70+ year olds!  =)

PJ do look after their staff well, and pay retainers to keep them available, as well as cover the medical insurance etc. That is absolutely to be applauded; they're far from the only ones who do though. 
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    JackD. said:
    Benz said:
    Dua Lipa’s tour actually is. Und DMB plays smaller venues. I understand anyone who tries to justify what our favorite band does but I guess we all have to cave in and accept that they are charging high prices because they can and want to. They tour would be feasible with 50€ less per ticket for sure.

You dont know anything about any of their structure costs. So 50€ less or anything is anythong but bullshit.
    You know smaller venues cost many many many less than Spurs Stadium. For any type of cost.
    Trying to compare DuaLipa or even DMB to PJ is just priceless.
  • Options
    Yeah, these band members are about 60 years old. I mean, how many more studio albums will they realistically provide in the future (maybe three)? As a result, I'm ready to pounce on tickets for each remaining tour at any price. When I'm 90 years old, I don't want to be thinking that I should've attended several additional PJ shows, but at least I saved a small bit of money by not paying too much for tickets. 🥑 
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 950
    Well considering the London thing tomorrow is making a deal about selling discounted tickets I imagine a few struggles with Tottenham stadium.
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,974
    Well considering the London thing tomorrow is making a deal about selling discounted tickets I imagine a few struggles with Tottenham stadium.
    what thing?
  • Options
    The Dark Matter-verse
  • Options
    JackD.JackD. Posts: 483
    JackD. said:
    Benz said:

You dont know anything about any of their structure costs. So 50€ less or anything is anythong but bullshit.
    You know smaller venues cost many many many less than Spurs Stadium. For any type of cost.
    Trying to compare DuaLipa or even DMB to PJ is just priceless.
    Looks like you don‘t know anything as well. Makes us two. Also, your opinion using this aggressive tone is duly noted.
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 950
    just_one said:
    what thing?
    Check the sticky’s. Some free interactive event in London. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    axeljohan said:
    Okay, so let’s assume they need those prices to break even including their „salary“. Might be true or not.

but what about the argument that viagogo is more responsible for dynamic pricing than TM and the artists? Tickets were sold at the secondary market at higher prices forever. But nowadays it is a choice by TM and the artists to be part of that system by using dynamic pricing. How is that not the responsibility of TM and the artists?
    I actually thought that, that they include what they pay themselves in the "cost." In order to make 500k a night each, they need to sell tickets for $200, anything less is a "loss".
  • Options
    Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 279
    Yeah I assumed it was a desperate attempt to shift some tickets.