Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • 4 weeks until my half. My long run yesterday went well, my HM tempo is down to just over 7 min a mile, better than where I thought I'd be. This was also the long run that I came down with my stress fracture last year, so got past that this year. Now just hoping I can stay healthy until the race. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    4 weeks until my half. My long run yesterday went well, my HM tempo is down to just over 7 min a mile, better than where I thought I'd be. This was also the long run that I came down with my stress fracture last year, so got past that this year. Now just hoping I can stay healthy until the race. 
    Great job!! Good luck with the half. I am glad that fracture is all healed. I’m sure things will go more smoothly this time. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    4 weeks until my half. My long run yesterday went well, my HM tempo is down to just over 7 min a mile, better than where I thought I'd be. This was also the long run that I came down with my stress fracture last year, so got past that this year. Now just hoping I can stay healthy until the race. 
    Awesome.  Don't push too hard with the trainers....you will have that much more juice on race day.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

• Awesome job! 
  • 4 weeks until my half. My long run yesterday went well, my HM tempo is down to just over 7 min a mile, better than where I thought I'd be. This was also the long run that I came down with my stress fracture last year, so got past that this year. Now just hoping I can stay healthy until the race. 
    Awesome.  Don't push too hard with the trainers....you will have that much more juice on race day.  
    Thanks. I have a 2 week taper at the end, so just under 2 weeks of real training runs left. 
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 634

Fantastic 👌
    Great stuff, strong pace. I have a half this Sunday, gunning for sub 90mins but not all that hopeful 😂
  • beano.79 said:
    Great stuff, strong pace. I have a half this Sunday, gunning for sub 90mins but not all that hopeful 😂
    Good luck with it! I hope you make sub 90. That is ultimately my goal as well, but don't think this will be the one for me. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    beano.79 said:
    You got this, brother!
    So... 1h 32m in today's half marathon. That's a PB by 2 minutes so I'm happy with that! As for the 90 minutes goal, I just couldn't quite hold the pace past 9 miles, I suspected this may be the case and I gave it a massive effort. A PB is a PB (or a PR for you guys 😁)

It's quite a big race and the atmosphere was incredible!

Now straight back to what I love, running pack back on and switch to ultra mode for 2 races in the first half of next year 😍
  • beano.79 said:
    So... 1h 32m in today's half marathon. That's a PB by 2 minutes so I'm happy with that! As for the 90 minutes goal, I just couldn't quite hold the pace past 9 miles, I suspected this may be the case and I gave it a massive effort. A PB is a PB (or a PR for you guys 😁)

Now straight back to what I love, running pack back on and switch to ultra mode for 2 races in the first half of next year 😍
    That's awesome. Good job. I bet you'll get under 1:30 in the next year or so. 
    beano.79 said:

I'm not sure I'll try again next year. I have the year pretty much planned and I definitely get more joy from the longer, less hurried trail side of things. I find it hard to motivate myself to train for faster races so this was a kind of 'one last bash' at trying for the time. But certainly not upset about knocking 2 mins off my PB
  • beano.79 said:
    beano.79 said:

I'm not sure I'll try again next year. I have the year pretty much planned and I definitely get more joy from the longer, less hurried trail side of things. I find it hard to motivate myself to train for faster races so this was a kind of 'one last bash' at trying for the time. But certainly not upset about knocking 2 mins off my PB
    I hear you. I'll try to get that sub 1:30 for you. 3 weeks until mine. Doubt I'll get sub 1:30 this time, but hopeful for the spring. 
    beano.79 said:

Great work!  2 mins off is badass.
    How many people ran in the race?

beano.79 said:

Great work!  2 mins off is badass.
    How many people ran in the race?

Between 4,000 and 5,000 runners.

I came in 299th and 51st for my age group.
    Wow, that is great!

• Could people show me their running kits?

I bought a pair of running tights and shorts yesterday. I have so far been running in a pair of ”training/sweatpants” I had lying around. But, at the store I also saw a pair of less tight running pants that I also bought. 

Don’r know which to keep. haha. Running pants or running tights 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,297
    edited October 2022
    Could people show me their running kits?

I bought a pair of running tights and shorts yesterday. I have so far been running in a pair of ”training/sweatpants” I had lying around. But, at the store I also saw a pair of less tight running pants that I also bought. 

I prefer pants (especially wind pants for colder months). I do have some running tights as well, but usually only use them under my pants when it is really cold.
    Post edited by NewfieintheUSA on

I wear shorts and the long almost knee high compression socks most of the year... When it's very cold I'll wear running tights/leggings. Much more comfortable to run in than regular sweatpants. But this is England and likely not close to the winter you experience 😂
    Once it gets cold I go with the leggings and running shorts over.  (Just to save everyone the sight of my junk in the tights)
    They have thicker ones but I prefer thin.  Starter is the brand.
    I've never worn traditional sweatpants and try to hold out as long as I can to avoid the tights.
    I wear a long sleeve shirt (tech shirt/dri fit) and will layer a short sleeve over.  If needed will step next to a smart wool brand long sleeve.
    Next step is a smart wool hat and a light jacket.
    Add in some very thin smartwool gloves and a neck gaiter.  That is all I got....will run in down to 0 F in that.
    Haven't run in colder, yet. 

• beano.79 said:

I wear shorts and the long almost knee high compression socks most of the year... When it's very cold I'll wear running tights/leggings. Much more comfortable to run in than regular sweatpants. But this is England and likely not close to the winter you experience 😂
    I live in Gothenburg. It must be exctly the same weather. Haha. 

Maybe I return the tights. They are reflective on the ankes though. Good when dark running close to traffic. 

I’ll see. 

My collegue just said her comfortable speed is 05:30 min/km. My fastest ever is 05:39 (on a short distance) Haha. Have to step it up. I feel like my comfortable speed that my body want’s to go at is like 06:00 min/km
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    GlowGirl said:
    I recently switched from road running to treadmill, and it has been so much kinder to my body. I knew that this would be the case, but was holding off for as long as possible, because I love to pass the scenery as I run through the countryside around here. But I guess I'm preserving myself so that I can be in better condition when I go on my country runs more sporadically. I had an ankle injury earlier this year which prompted this.

What sort of distances are you putting in on the treadmill?
    What did you do to your ankle?

Curious on these, as I have a shit treadmill (aka the dreadmill) and prefer to be outdoors as the dreadmill slaughters my knees.
    I also prefer to make my own pace and while the dreadmill is likely better for training and driving the pace, if I am aiming at a speed I would prefer to average it out as I feel vs. running to the same exact pace the whole time.
    For me, the best deal for my ankle/knees has been the local track.  It is boring as hell, and I need to start quite early, but it is easier on my body and I dont have to be concerned about twisting my ankle on something.  [Last year I tore a tendon in my ankle training for a 26.2 and I didnt treat until after the distance was accomplished and was in a boot and on a physical therapy tour for a while this year.  On the longer runs now it still hurts - I wear a brace and am suspicious that this is holding me back but until I accomplish this year's goal (50k) and then another marathon after it I am not going to scale back, start running w/o the brace.]

I twisted my ankle quite badly last year, and it took a very long time to heal because I was incapable of taking the appropriate amount of downtime. It's a lot better these days, but I also run a lot less. For example, today I did 3.33km on the treadmill. I am a much different type of runner than you are from the sound of things. I was previously capable of running 10km multiple times per week, but I've decided to take it very easy for the remainder of the year and hopefully start to build it back up next year.
    I hope you ankle is better. I know that taking downtown is both hard and frustrating. It is good that you have a plan. It sounds like it will be good for you to take it easy and build up slowly. 

Sorry I missed you in Prague. 
    2 months later I finally respond ha ha. There's always the next tour. Hopefully will get to connect with more amazing people from this place then. 
    I have turned to swimming because my ankle just hasn't been healing at all. I've started to accept that running is probably done for me now unfortunately.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022

If you can, keep them both. You can switch it up as the weather dictates. 
    GlowGirl said:
    I recently switched from road running to treadmill, and it has been so much kinder to my body. I knew that this would be the case, but was holding off for as long as possible, because I love to pass the scenery as I run through the countryside around here. But I guess I'm preserving myself so that I can be in better condition when I go on my country runs more sporadically. I had an ankle injury earlier this year which prompted this.

What sort of distances are you putting in on the treadmill?
    What did you do to your ankle?

Curious on these, as I have a shit treadmill (aka the dreadmill) and prefer to be outdoors as the dreadmill slaughters my knees.
    I also prefer to make my own pace and while the dreadmill is likely better for training and driving the pace, if I am aiming at a speed I would prefer to average it out as I feel vs. running to the same exact pace the whole time.
    For me, the best deal for my ankle/knees has been the local track.  It is boring as hell, and I need to start quite early, but it is easier on my body and I dont have to be concerned about twisting my ankle on something.  [Last year I tore a tendon in my ankle training for a 26.2 and I didnt treat until after the distance was accomplished and was in a boot and on a physical therapy tour for a while this year.  On the longer runs now it still hurts - I wear a brace and am suspicious that this is holding me back but until I accomplish this year's goal (50k) and then another marathon after it I am not going to scale back, start running w/o the brace.]

I twisted my ankle quite badly last year, and it took a very long time to heal because I was incapable of taking the appropriate amount of downtime. It's a lot better these days, but I also run a lot less. For example, today I did 3.33km on the treadmill. I am a much different type of runner than you are from the sound of things. I was previously capable of running 10km multiple times per week, but I've decided to take it very easy for the remainder of the year and hopefully start to build it back up next year.
    I hope you ankle is better. I know that taking downtown is both hard and frustrating. It is good that you have a plan. It sounds like it will be good for you to take it easy and build up slowly. 

Sorry I missed you in Prague. 
    2 months later I finally respond ha ha. There's always the next tour. Hopefully will get to connect with more amazing people from this place then. 
    I have turned to swimming because my ankle just hasn't been healing at all. I've started to accept that running is probably done for me now unfortunately.
    Sorry to hear about your ankle. Swimming is amazing in terms of aerobic exercise. I wish I had access to a pool. Yes. Hopefully, we can connect next tour. 
  • Fellow joggers, need some advice

During my long run on Sunday I started to feel some tightness on one of my inner thighs (towards the back). I finished my run (around 50 more minutes, including 8 repeats of 1 minute at higher speeds) and it didn't aggravate it at all. 

It still feels a little off, but doesn't hurt all that much. My race is in 19 days. 

I skipped my easy run today just to let it rest an extra day (Monday is already my off day).

Would you:

1. Continue training as normal as long as it doesn't aggravate it
    2. Rest it this week and reassess next week
    3. Something else

Thanks!
    Do you have a trusted pt from past injury?
    I'd go to mg PT and stretch with him, let him know what I feel,let him check it out and advise.
    (It helps that he is very pro-working it out vs. The shut down approach....)

I would not have done the sprints, probably a good sign that this didn't hurt

I'd stretch like crazy a number of times, daily, at a minimum.
    Good luck!
  • Do you have a trusted pt from past injury?
    I'd go to mg PT and stretch with him, let him know what I feel,let him check it out and advise.

Good luck!
    I've been stretching, awkward area to stretch really, but found some online that work it. 

I have a good PT that ran track and cross country in college and has a good approach. I'll see if I can get in with her. 
  • Do you have a trusted pt from past injury?

Good luck!
    The main reason I finished my run is I was probably 40 minutes away from my car, so I didn't have alot of choice. The fact it didn't aggravate it I took as a good sign.