Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,106
    Yeah. My colleague runs like 24h races and "last man still running" type of runs.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,659
    Wild that Beano is doing these.  Go, man, go!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,952
    beano.79 said:
    It's marathon time this Sunday... Nearing the end of the taper and I always fucking hate tapering, I always feel rotten and unfit and really lethargic. I know training went well but I can never seem to draw on the enthusiasm. But as always it will feel right on the day.

Then it's time to get the salomon 12 litre pack on and get into ultra mode 😁

46 mile race in June
    100 miler in sept 

And something new to me, 12 hours running on a track in November... Eek
    Wow. I am tired just thinking about all this. Your heart rate must be insanely low. I wonder how many sets of headphones you will need for that 12 hour run. You are amazing. 
  • Options
    In California over weekend, 10 miles on beach, and in Idaho now...ran 5 along the river on a cool trail this morning.
    Tomorrow going to run the streets of Boise.
    Love seeing different cities on foot, this way.
    Thursday AM ill be in a different part of CA, running on another beach

That all sounds really nice. Do you run barefoot on the beach?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,659
    GlowGirl said:
    In California over weekend, 10 miles on beach, and in Idaho now...ran 5 along the river on a cool trail this morning.

Not for anty distance.  Wpuld be good for strengthening feet, though, if I lived on the beach

• Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 684

Running with a sense of adventure and discovery is amazing
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

Not for anty distance.  Wpuld be good for strengthening feet, though, if I lived on the beach

Yeah. Running in sand is hard I would think. 
  • Options
    Busch896Busch896 Delaware Posts: 36
    Just signed up for my first marathon. Excited to get the training started.
    Philly 4-29-2016 ● NYC 9-11-2022 ● Camden 9-14-2022 ● Ft Worth 9-15-2023 ● Austin 9-18-2023 
  • Options
    Busch896 said:
    Good luck. That is exciting. Keep us posted on your progress. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Busch896 said:
    Thanks! 6 months to train. 
    Philly 4-29-2016 ● NYC 9-11-2022 ● Camden 9-14-2022 ● Ft Worth 9-15-2023 ● Austin 9-18-2023 
  • Options
    Busch896 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Busch896 said:
    Will you follow a program?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 406
    Busch896 said:
    Good luck! Very exciting!
  • Options
    Busch896 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Busch896 said:
    Yes, I have a great coach who set me up with a training schedule that i'll stick to. I initially didn't think 6 months was enough time to prepare but it looks like that is somewhat standard.
  • Options
    Busch896 said:
    Busch896 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Busch896 said:
    Yes, I have a great coach who set me up with a training schedule that i'll stick to. I initially didn't think 6 months was enough time to prepare but it looks like that is somewhat standard.
    Absolutely enough time, exciting news, keep us updated on training progress, we love to hear it!

Any goals in mind other than completion?
  • Options
    edited April 26
    beano.79 said:
    Busch896 said:
    Busch896 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Busch896 said:
    Absolutely enough time, exciting news, keep us updated on training progress, we love to hear it!

No time goal yet, just getting started. Ran a 5k in March in 28mins to give you a gauge of where I'm at now. I really enjoyed that so I spoke with a family member who runs several marathons a year and they offered to help me with my first. I'll probably come up with a goal once I start to get a feel for the longer runs. 
    Post edited by Busch896 on
  • Options
    Busch896 said:
    beano.79 said:
    Busch896 said:
    Busch896 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Busch896 said:

No time goal yet, just getting started. Ran a 5k in March in 28mins to give you a gauge of where I'm at now. I really enjoyed that so I spoke with a family member who runs several marathons a year and they offered to help me with my first. I'll probably come up with a goal once I start to get a feel for the longer runs. 
    Sounds like you're in good hands! I hope you enjoy the training, it's quite exciting when you get to the point that every long run is the furthest you've run. Look forward to hearing about it all
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    Busch896 said:
    beano.79 said:
    Busch896 said:
    Busch896 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Busch896 said:

Sounds like you're in good hands! I hope you enjoy the training, it's quite exciting when you get to the point that every long run is the furthest you've run. Look forward to hearing about it all
    Thanks! Really looking forward to it. 
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,547
    Went on my first run since a December trip yesterday.  Just an easy 3 miles.  Going to try to run 3-4 times a week for now and get back into trail running for the year once the trails are dry.  I usually keep my runs under 8 miles once I'm in the swing of it and try to get in a decent amount of hill work. Mix in weights 1-2 times per week for general strength.  
  • Options
    Went on my first run since a December trip yesterday.  Just an easy 3 miles.  Going to try to run 3-4 times a week for now and get back into trail running for the year once the trails are dry.  I usually keep my runs under 8 miles once I'm in the swing of it and try to get in a decent amount of hill work. Mix in weights 1-2 times per week for general strength.  
    Great stuff, keep us updated, were building a nice little running community here.
  • Options
    edited April 28
    Well it didn't go exactly to plan! It's was cold (5c) with heavy rain and strong winds, parts of the course were flooded ankle deep with no way around. So missed out on my big goal but did squeeze out 3:27 which is a best by 1 minute 😅
    Post edited by beano.79 on
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    Well it didn't go exactly to plan! It's was cold (5c) with heavy rain and strong winds, parts of the course were flooded ankle deep with no way around. So missed out on my big goal but did squeeze out 3:27 which is a best by 1 minute 😅
    That is amazing - a PR in shit conditions, well done!

327 is a seriously good time.  I know you wanted more but that is incredible

Aiming at 120 for my 10 mile race next Sunday.  Last year I was 130 in the pouring rain.  Year before I was 1:26.  Would be happy to PR, but I kind of expect to.  Would really like to be sub 1:20.
    35,000 people so half the battle is staying clear of aholes.  :lol:  
  • Options
    edited April 28

This sucked. Haha. Ran 0,0000005 second slower than my record :(

IF I HAD ONLY HAD A GARMIN I WOULD HAVE KNOWN AND COULD HAVE PUSHED A LITTLE BIT HARDER. 
  • Options

This sucked. Haha. Ran 0,0000005 second slower than my record :(

IF I HAD ONLY HAD A GARMIN I WOULD HAVE KNOWN AND COULD HAVE PUSHED A LITTLE BIT HARDER. 
    I ran my fastest 10k when my garmin wasn't reading right and I had no idea how I was running for about half of it.
    Sometimes knowing is better, sometimes not

Getting a lot faster, dude, great work!

• Options
    "Digital seeding lap" for Göteborgsvarvet (21K, May 18) on the lunchbreak on Thursday. My one colleague is going to act as pacer for my other colleague. But I think they will keep a 5:20 tempo.... too fast for me
  • Options
    Does your office have showers?
    I know many run at lunch but I wouldn't think I'd have time to gear up....stretch....run....cool down....shower, change.  This all takes time.  My damn gearing up and stretching can take 15 minutes.  (Or, 30 if at 4AM and I'm still trying to wake up)
  • Options
    edited April 29
    I know many run at lunch but I wouldn't think I'd have time to gear up....stretch....run....cool down....shower, change.  This all takes time.  My damn gearing up and stretching can take 15 minutes.  (Or, 30 if at 4AM and I'm still trying to wake up)
    Shower. A small gym. Sauna. yeah.

We stretch out the lunchbreak the days we run. I would say with changing etc we are away maybe an hour, so with eating afterwards~90 minutes maybe. Sometimes longer if people run like a 7-8K.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options

We stretch out the lunchbreak the days we run. I would say with changing etc we are away maybe an hour, so with eating afterwards~90 minutes maybe. Sometimes longer if people run like a 7-8K.
    .makes sense.  I don't have 10 minutes free between 700 and 600 most days.  Some slots are double and triple booked, lol.  I think is good that people can work running in however they do....and they also probably feel great.
  • Options

.makes sense.  I don't have 10 minutes free between 700 and 600 most days.  Some slots are double and triple booked, lol.  I think is good that people can work running in however they do....and they also probably feel great.
    Do you have a "Wellness grant/allowance" at work? 
  • Options

I believe from what I've heard/read here in England, Scandinavian countries are streets ahead of the rest of us regarding wellness, work/life balance.

I'd like to hear more about a wellness grant so I can put it forward to my bosses!
  • Options
    edited April 30
    beano.79 said:

I believe from what I've heard/read here in England, Scandinavian countries are streets ahead of the rest of us regarding wellness, work/life balance.

I'd like to hear more about a wellness grant so I can put it forward to my bosses!
    In Sweden is it in someway tax subsidized for companies. And "most" companies have some form of Wellness grant, because obviously it's a factor for people when choosing employer.

At my job, we used to have 200 dollars a year. That could be spent on Massage, Gym card, Application fee for a marathon etc. It can not be used on things, like running shoes, golf clubs or a Garmin watch etc. The government are the ones deciding what is allowed.

Now we have 600 dollars a year. But the company only pays 80% of it, and the employee has to pay 20%. So when I applied for the Gothenburg halfmarathon, which was 100 dollars application fee, they pay 80 dollars and I have to pay 20 dollars.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on