Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

1110111112113114116»

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl Posts: 10,787
    Nice to hear from all of you. It sounds like big runs are coming up. I hope everyone with pain or injuries heals soon. Because of the PJ tour I had not run since Sept. 7. I came home sick after Fenway, and when I finally felt better it was time to leave for Ohana. I finally ran this morning. Decided to take it slow. I ran 5K and my speed was 15 seconds more per mile. But it felt good to at least do some running. I will take the next few weeks to build back up to where I was before. 
  • SpunkieSpunkie Posts: 6,499
    I'll probably do one more water ski this week then pull the boat out. It's getting cold at night. Keep up the good work Beano!
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
    So ran that 12k yesterday. Was fun. Had two extra people joining our little group this time around. After run afterwards with food and drinks. The fastest of us ran at 1h06m. I was slowest with 1h35m. Hehe. But man, it was steep. Lot of uphill running (uphill walking for me).

I think the problem with my MADE IN SWEDEN AND SUSTAINABLE Icebug trail shoes is that they are a tad too big. 

So just picked up a pair of New Balance Hierro v7 for half price. A little bit smaller in size.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    It has been a while -- a year? maybe? -- but it's time for me to come back here.

The last twelve months have been tough -- many changes, some good; the loss of some loved ones, that's bad; job stress, health stress, moving stress, etc. We bought a new home, moved our exercise equipment in, and decided the following week to do a whole-house remodel. So my treadmill is covered with plastic and dust.

Of course, running outside always is an option, and I was doing that until I got a cancer diagnosis. Between biopsies and surgeries, my training schedule was disrupted/ put on hold for a while. Fortunately, my surgeon recognized that my mental health is as important as my physical well-being, and she did not put a lot of restrictions on my activity during recovery.
    On the plus side, I was able to get to the Philly and Fenway shows, as well as Ohana. On the minus side, that further disrupted my training. So I have a lot of fitness to regain, in both running and lifting.
    As part of my recovery, I spent a lot more time on the treadmill than I normally do, and for better or worse I'm now okay with spending three hours knocking off miles on there. But I know that my fitness improves more and faster when I'm outdoors.
    So: I signed myself up for a few races, just to get a benchmark for where my (lack of) fitness is. I'll do a half-marathon next weekend, a Halloween-type run later in the month, and I signed up for a half marathon in Palm Desert in February, because I needed an excuse to go somewhere warm around then. :-)
    I'm eyeing some spring marathons --  not sure about those yet, but considering one in Seattle in March. I'm also toying with the idea of doing another fundraising run; I "ran my age" in miles a few years ago to raise money for Ukraine, and it feels like it might be time to do something like that again.
    But, first, I need to get some sort of routine set up, something that involves being in one place -- preferably *at home* (I went out of state for my health care; I never want to set foot in a Residence Inn again) -- and not having a training plan be continually disrupted by travel as well as the travails of perimenopause (yes, I really did get on a hotel treadmill at 3:30a.m. a few days ago and pound out twelve miles). So I'm back, for some positivity and a sense of community.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl Posts: 10,787
    It has been a while -- a year? maybe? -- but it's time for me to come back here.

The last twelve months have been tough -- many changes, some good; the loss of some loved ones, that's bad; job stress, health stress, moving stress, etc. We bought a new home, moved our exercise equipment in, and decided the following week to do a whole-house remodel. So my treadmill is covered with plastic and dust.

Of course, running outside always is an option, and I was doing that until I got a cancer diagnosis. Between biopsies and surgeries, my training schedule was disrupted/ put on hold for a while. Fortunately, my surgeon recognized that my mental health is as important as my physical well-being, and she did not put a lot of restrictions on my activity during recovery.
    On the plus side, I was able to get to the Philly and Fenway shows, as well as Ohana. On the minus side, that further disrupted my training. So I have a lot of fitness to regain, in both running and lifting.
    As part of my recovery, I spent a lot more time on the treadmill than I normally do, and for better or worse I'm now okay with spending three hours knocking off miles on there. But I know that my fitness improves more and faster when I'm outdoors.
    So: I signed myself up for a few races, just to get a benchmark for where my (lack of) fitness is. I'll do a half-marathon next weekend, a Halloween-type run later in the month, and I signed up for a half marathon in Palm Desert in February, because I needed an excuse to go somewhere warm around then. :-)
    I'm eyeing some spring marathons --  not sure about those yet, but considering one in Seattle in March. I'm also toying with the idea of doing another fundraising run; I "ran my age" in miles a few years ago to raise money for Ukraine, and it feels like it might be time to do something like that again.
    But, first, I need to get some sort of routine set up, something that involves being in one place -- preferably *at home* (I went out of state for my health care; I never want to set foot in a Residence Inn again) -- and not having a training plan be continually disrupted by travel as well as the travails of perimenopause (yes, I really did get on a hotel treadmill at 3:30a.m. a few days ago and pound out twelve miles). So I'm back, for some positivity and a sense of community.
    Welcome back. I’m so happy your health is better. Running on treadmills suck, but it’s a great option when you can’t go outside. I really admire all you distance runners. 10K is about my limit. I know with training I could do more - but just not motivated to. I’m happy with my little 4-5 mile runs. Good luck with all of your race plans. I hope your health and fitness continue to improve. 
    Sure smells nice out on my creek run today!
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
    Forced to go see this band TR/ST in Stockholm tomorrow - BRINGING MY RUNNING STUFF
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited October 16
    Forced to go see this band TR/ST in Stockholm tomorrow - BRINGING MY RUNNING STUFF
    Smart move. Vancouver night one fans should have brought their running gear when Ed invited us to run with two of them at the morning after marathon. He sure is in great form, including his beautiful voice, this tour!

Post edited by Spunkie on
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,317
    Did anyone here run the Chicago marathon?  

• beano.79beano.79 Posts: 742
    PJ-Cubs said:
    Did anyone here run the Chicago marathon?  

Id love to but a pretty big expensive trip for me 😁
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 742
    I have my final race of the year in 2 weeks, 12 hours on a running track... Farthest distance wins. Can definitely still feel the robinhood100 attempt in my legs but I'm interested to see how I find the monotony!