Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• beano.79beano.79 Posts: 634
    edited June 2022
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    So we are visiting my wife's family in Czech Republic. Always beautiful, hilly runs. But I always struggle. Now I finally have a new running watch (coros) I have found out that the village is at 1300ft above sea level, now that's hardly altitude training but coming from a town at sea level it must be this that makes the difference!?
    Where in the Czech Republic are you? I am going to the PJ show in Prague, but am making a 10 day vacation out of it. Besides spending some time in Prague, we will be visiting a few different places in the country.

We are out in the sticks roughly a 2 hour drive from Prague. Have you ever been to Prague? Getting to the old part of the city, Charles bridge etc is a must. That part of the city is pretty much closed to traffic and in terms of a city area it's probably my favourite I have visited around the world. 

It's a beautiful country, the landscape and countryside is lovely. Some of the buildings/smaller towns are in need of great repair but considering their history they are developing rapidly. We try to visit 2 or 3 times a year (covid fucked that up) it's nice. Nice people and great beer!

And don't freak out like I did if you see a menu that says, Zebra burger....... Turns out zebra is Czech for ribs 😅🤤

I was considering PJ in Prague too but we have to travel during school holidays due to our daughter, so London will have to do.
    Post edited by beano.79 on
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,690
    beano.79 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    So we are visiting my wife's family in Czech Republic. Always beautiful, hilly runs. But I always struggle. Now I finally have a new running watch (coros) I have found out that the village is at 1300ft above sea level, now that's hardly altitude training but coming from a town at sea level it must be this that makes the difference!?
    Where in the Czech Republic are you? I am going to the PJ show in Prague, but am making a 10 day vacation out of it. Besides spending some time in Prague, we will be visiting a few different places in the country.

We are out in the sticks roughly a 2 hour drive from Prague. Have you ever been to Prague? Getting to the old part of the city, Charles bridge etc is a must. That part of the city is pretty much closed to traffic and in terms of a city area it's probably my favourite I have visited around the world. 

It's a beautiful country, the landscape and countryside is lovely. Some of the buildings/smaller towns are in need of great repair but considering their history they are developing rapidly. We try to visit 2 or 3 times a year (covid fucked that up) it's nice. Nice people and great beer!

And don't freak out like I did if you see a menu that says, Zebra burger....... Turns out zebra is Czech for ribs 😅🤤

I was considering PJ in Prague too but we have to travel during school holidays due to our daughter, so London will have to do.
    I have never been. So really looking forward to it. One of our hotels is right near the Charles Bridge. Besides Prague we are going to Chesky Krumlov. We are staying in a converted ancient fortress tower while there. We are also going to Brno which is a 4 hour train ride from Prague and spending 2 nights there. Also we booked an all day guided hiking tour through Bohemian Paradise Geopark which has all these crazy rock formations. So even if PJ doesn’t play for some reason the trip should be spectacular. I have trepidations about running in cities I am unfamiliar with. But two of our hotels have gyms so I will definitely get some treadmill time in. Or if it looks like I can find a good place to run outside I may give it a go. 
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

I have never been. So really looking forward to it. One of our hotels is right near the Charles Bridge. Besides Prague we are going to Chesky Krumlov. We are staying in a converted ancient fortress tower while there. We are also going to Brno which is a 4 hour train ride from Prague and spending 2 nights there. Also we booked an all day guided hiking tour through Bohemian Paradise Geopark which has all these crazy rock formations. So even if PJ doesn’t play for some reason the trip should be spectacular. I have trepidations about running in cities I am unfamiliar with. But two of our hotels have gyms so I will definitely get some treadmill time in. Or if it looks like I can find a good place to run outside I may give it a go. 
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

As I type we are on the way to Brno airport for the journey home ... Work tomorrow 😔

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. Let us know how it goes... Running or no
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    Sounds like you all are keeping motivated and meeting goals. I'm up at my work site in the Arctic now and trying to run at least every other day on the gravel roads off the beach of the Arctic Ocean.  Weather has been a little rough though, upper 20s F and 20-30 mph consistent northeast wind.  Running into the wind is tough but the tailwind sure is nice!  Hoping to build up my mileage a little bit. Snow and ice has a ways to go before it melts so gotta keep moving. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    That s ounds amazing - a few pictures of what you see when running, up there?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Was meant to have a 2 hour window from 3-5 with no thunderstorms.  Went out the door at 4....it started up about ten minutes in.  Finished my intervals and ran back in a full on storm
      Holy crap, that was beautiful, exhilarating, scary, and stupid all bundled up.  I love lighting but perhaps not to be in the middle of it.
    Guess I should have turned around ten minutes in but it didn't seem so bad.

Sure, my phone tries to warn me when I am already out there!

So, something I have always strived for but always failed is started to happen! 

As you guys know I'm very motivated while training for an event. Between events though, my mileage and efforts have always dipped lower than I like. I always tell myself I want to maintain a good weekly long run but through motivation/laziness/tiredness I never do.... Until now....

For the 2 months since the ultra tour of Arran I have consistently (3/4 weeks) ran a 10 miler at the weekends while working on pace during the week, it's made me really happy to finally keep it going.

Good 10 miles today, really enjoyed myself out there.

I'm off to BBQ and spin live on 2 legs! Good weekend all!
    beano.79 said:

As you guys know I'm very motivated while training for an event. Between events though, my mileage and efforts have always dipped lower than I like. I always tell myself I want to maintain a good weekly long run but through motivation/laziness/tiredness I never do.... Until now....

For the 2 months since the ultra tour of Arran I have consistently (3/4 weeks) ran a 10 miler at the weekends while working on pace during the week, it's made me really happy to finally keep it going.

Hey. That is great. I know you train hard and do these amazing running events. It’s very motivating to hear about them. I am glad you have been able to keep up your goals between big runs. Right now I am staying consistent with my 5.5 mile runs but am working on improving my pace. So, far each month my average pace gets a little faster - just by a few seconds but every second counts. 
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

Hey. That is great. I know you train hard and do these amazing running events. It’s very motivating to hear about them. I am glad you have been able to keep up your goals between big runs. Right now I am staying consistent with my 5.5 mile runs but am working on improving my pace. So, far each month my average pace gets a little faster - just by a few seconds but every second counts. 
    Your consistency is fantastic and something every runner should have as a main goal, inspiration comes from everywhere. This is why running is so great... So many different elements to it and we can all learn something from eachother to make us better runners 👏👏
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Going out for a run now.

Just running 3-5km. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited June 2022
    2nd fastest, good work!

Beano, way to go with keeping up the weekend distances.

GG, you rock.  Consistent and lowering that heart rate!

Had a 5k race this AM.  PR'd, first time under 25.  2430 and with a mile long, hill in the middle of it.  Without that I think I may have had a shot at even better.  Stoked to be in the 7s for the second race ina row, even if just barely.  :)
    They are disorganized and have not published the final times, yet.  Eager to see where I finished....the top runners were mostly high schoolers..the town's cross country team participated.  Those fuckers were very fast!
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    2nd fastest, good work!

Beano, way to go with keeping up the weekend distances.

GG, you rock.  Consistent and lowering that heart rate!

Had a 5k race this AM.  PR'd, first time under 25.  2430 and with a mile long, hill in the middle of it.  Without that I think I may have had a shot at even better.  Stoked to be in the 7s for the second race ina row, even if just barely.  :)
    They are disorganized and have not published the final times, yet.  Eager to see where I finished....the top runners were mostly high schoolers..the town's cross country team participated.  Those fuckers were very fast!
    Awesome!! You have come really far since your injury. I am sure the high schoolers were speed demons. I wish I started running when I was younger. Let us know what happens when you get your final time. 
    Still on my short runs. Don’t judge me ultramarathoners. My knees really hurt afterwards this time. Maybe because of me walking alot yesterday, or time to switch asphalt for gravel. 

That can be for lots of reasons.  Keep up the shorter runs at a pace where you can breathe comfortably.   It should get better.  Stretching may help, also.

8 this AM before the temp went up, but was 97% humidity, so was sweating balls by the end.  
    Felt good!
    Good on you both for running outside. I had a late start and it was really hot and humid, so I did the treadmill. I am still working on speed and have been consistently running faster on average for the past few months. I am holding off increasing my distance. I am finding it hard to keep weight on due to calorie burn and my goal is to gain at least 5 pounds. It is hard to do that between trying to eat healthy and running. So I am holding steady with my distance for now. 
    Very nice!  Have you tried adding a small meal to your day?
    Very nice!  Have you tried adding a small meal to your day?
    I have always been thin with a fairly fast metabolism but the running has just pushed it over the edge. My sister is a nutritionist and she told me to add more healthy fats like nuts and avocado, which I have been trying to do. My weight really started to go down fast when I reduced my carbs. At my last physical my A1C was at the higher end of normal so I started reducing my carbs. Once I did that my weight has gone down lower than I would like. So I want to gain it back but still keep my carbs low. It is tough. 
    Runners need carbs.  :) 
    If your sis is a nutritionist I'm sure she is looking out for you!
    edited June 2022
    M, are you planning any runs in Europe?
    Extra gear to haul around/wash, but I imagine this could be a great way to see some local spots.

M, are you planning any runs in Europe?
    Extra gear to haul around/wash, but I imagine this could be a great way to see some local spots.

I’m definitely bringing my running gear. I guess I will see about how I feel about running outside and what the outside heat is like. A few of our hotels have gyms so I can always hit the treadmill. But I know I will be walking many miles a day. I always do when I am on vacation. Lots of sightseeing. We are staying in a few smaller towns in Czech Republic so it might be easier to run outside there than in Prague. We also booked an all day hiking  tour in the Bohemian National Geopark. So, I will for sure get my cardio in. 
    Sweet, that sounds great.  Snap a pic or two for us!
    The local 4 miler for charity today... Not sure of exact placing but I think top 10 in A time of 27:21. The winner was 23mins! 😂😂 I followed that up with about 6 pints of Spanish lager and a take out 🤷🏼‍♂️👌
    Y'all were cruising!
    Your finish line feast sounds pretty great!  :)
    beano.79 said:
    The local 4 miler for charity today... Not sure of exact placing but I think top 10 in A time of 27:21. The winner was 23mins! 😂😂 I followed that up with about 6 pints of Spanish lager and a take out 🤷🏼‍♂️👌
    Awesome job. You deserve that feast!!
    Got my big races planned for 2023!

The Snowdonia spring crossing (52km 8500ft of climbing) in march.

And Endure24 (24 hrs, 5 mile loop as many times as you can/want) in June.

Those endure type races are so cool- live that you have these planned!

Had our local 5k today...matched my pr time from 2 weeks ago but my watch called it a PR, so I'm gonna go with that.  :lol:   
    Ran out of gas after a great start.  Finished 2nd in my age group and first among 48 yr Olds, or older.  ;)
    Small races are fun but lack some of the juice/buzz of that larger ones.  

Looked up the Snowdonia.  That is totally badass.  👌 
    Looked up the Snowdonia.  That is totally badass.  👌 
    I cannot wait, Wales is just a beautiful country. Especially around Snowdonia, I love it there, there's some magic in the air