Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    Spunkie said:
    WILL YOU BE RUNNING TO THE NEW PEARL JAM SINGLE TOMORROW?
    Hope to ski to it soon! Did you, E?
    Haven't been out running. Been listening to it when walking to work. But will have it on tomorrow, gonna try to muster up some trail running.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ1973 said:
    Initially feels like the shot from yesterday is helping. Will take a week or so for the steroids to have more effect, but I'm cautiously optimistic 
    How are you feeling so far?
    Good, still a little sore from the shot itself, but much better than I was. We'll see how PT goes on Monday 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,985
    Initially feels like the shot from yesterday is helping. Will take a week or so for the steroids to have more effect, but I'm cautiously optimistic 
    I really hope it is working. I have been sidelined again. My shoulder has completely healed, but I know have what I think is sciatica. My left side lower back hurt down through by butt. It finally felt great on Saturday after a week of pain. So, I did a run on Saturday and it felt fine on Sunday as well. So, I did another run this past Monday, and Tuesday and Wednesday were really painful days. It finally feel better today, but I think I have to let it feel good for a week or so before going out running again. It seems like it is one thing after another that is derailing me. Sucks getting older for sure.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    I really hope it is working. I have been sidelined again. My shoulder has completely healed, but I know have what I think is sciatica. My left side lower back hurt down through by butt. It finally felt great on Saturday after a week of pain. So, I did a run on Saturday and it felt fine on Sunday as well. So, I did another run this past Monday, and Tuesday and Wednesday were really painful days. It finally feel better today, but I think I have to let it feel good for a week or so before going out running again. It seems like it is one thing after another that is derailing me. Sucks getting older for sure.

GETTING OLDER SUX MONKEY BALLS!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,688
    Spunkie said:
    WILL YOU BE RUNNING TO THE NEW PEARL JAM SINGLE TOMORROW?
    Hope to ski to it soon! Did you, E?
    Haven't been out running. Been listening to it when walking to work. But will have it on tomorrow, gonna try to muster up some trail running.
    Good for you, E! Skied yesterday to Gigaton. Need a sunny dog walk day today, with a friend l, though. DM soon....
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

GETTING OLDER SUX MONKEY BALLS!!!!!!
    Yup, knees feel the powder after a few hours! Glad I only dabble in running!
  • Options
    I'm heading out. Sun here today. Gonna try run and take a short 1 min pause after every two songs on the playlist. See if it can make me run a bit longer.

IT'S CALLED RUNNING INTERVALS LOOK IT UP THERE IS NOTHING WEIRD ABOUT IT STOP LOOKING AT ME
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    My battery was down to 1% after 13K so I stopped then. Need to get a new phone. 

• Options
    Beautiful pics! You can run far!!! Maybe just need power bank?
  • Options
    Spunkie said:
    Beautiful pics! You can run far!!! Maybe just need power bank?
    I need to build up the guts to ask (demand) my boss for a new one I think :) 
  • Options
    @beano.79 - We are both going to be in the front standing section in London. We have to meet up and say hello for sure.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,666
    Go for a run together!  
    (We still need to do that M.  We had the dinner and drinks....we need the run!)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    go prego pre Posts: 650
    It's been a while since I visited the AET. Good to see there is a running community here. I used to be a decent runner (15:35 5K PR from my college days), and coached high school kids for 15 years, but since running my first marathon in 2001, it's been a few strikes mixed in with all the gutters. After tearing my ACL in 2018, I got myself back into sub-18:00 shape before a foot injury in late 2020 sidelined me for the past three years. I'm hoping to someday get back into running, but my foot has been really stubborn. This whole aging thing isn't for me.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    Go for a run together!  
    I know. We for sure need to run. My back is feeling much better. It has been a bit over a week since my last run. I am going to take one more week off so I don't reinjure it like last time with my impatience. I guess I will be starting somewhat slow, but hopefully get back up to speed son.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Go for a run together!  
    I know. We for sure need to run. My back is feeling much better. It has been a bit over a week since my last run. I am going to take one more week off so I don't reinjure it like last time with my impatience. I guess I will be starting somewhat slow, but hopefully get back up to speed son.

Good to hear. Def take it slow to make sure you don't get reinjured 

So far so good with my latest shot. Had PT yesterday and it didn't kill me like it did before this shot, go back tomorrow for more PT.

Hoping to maybe be back to running in a few weeks!
  • Options
    So, after taking over a week off I went for a run today. I only ran 2.5 miles to test out my back. I also ran slower than normal. Usually, nothing hurts the day I run, but starts to hurt the day after. So, I will know tomorrow how it went. If I have no back pain by Saturday, I may try 3 miles. Hope everyone is doing well.
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Go for a run together!  

Good to hear. Def take it slow to make sure you don't get reinjured 

So far so good with my latest shot. Had PT yesterday and it didn't kill me like it did before this shot, go back tomorrow for more PT.

Hoping to maybe be back to running in a few weeks!
    Good luck. I hope the shot and the PT both work for you.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    So, after taking over a week off I went for a run today. I only ran 2.5 miles to test out my back. I also ran slower than normal. Usually, nothing hurts the day I run, but starts to hurt the day after. So, I will know tomorrow how it went. If I have no back pain by Saturday, I may try 3 miles. Hope everyone is doing well.
    That is great, hopefully all feels good tomorrow. 

PT for me.has been ok.this week, I've been a little sore around the injured area the day of PT, but nothing bad. The PT plans on starting some plyometrics with me next week and if that goes well I can slowly get back into running 
  • Options

• Options

Great work!! You have come really far since you started this thread. Keep it going.

I am still taking it slower until I am sure my back will be ok. It did not hurt after my short run on Wednesday, so I added another 1/2 mile today and also ran a bit faster. So, I ended up running 5K with a 9:55 minute/mile pace. Then I walked on the treadmill for a mile at 4 mph with random incline setting. If my back is ok after this I will add another 1/2 mile to my run on Monday or Tuesday.

• Options
    ^ Great news, G GIRL! And way to add on those extra km's SC! No way I'm running when I can ski or hit the lakes up!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,666
    Good work getting back at it, steadily, Glowie!  ;)

go pre said:
    It's been a while since I visited the AET. Good to see there is a running community here. I used to be a decent runner (15:35 5K PR from my college days), and coached high school kids for 15 years, but since running my first marathon in 2001, it's been a few strikes mixed in with all the gutters. After tearing my ACL in 2018, I got myself back into sub-18:00 shape before a foot injury in late 2020 sidelined me for the past three years. I'm hoping to someday get back into running, but my foot has been really stubborn. This whole aging thing isn't for me.
    Wow!  Hope you can get back at it.  Those times are blazing fast!  At 49, 50 in a few months, i've been chipping away and trying to get sub 20.  Almost made it to 22 one time last year and that is my goal for this year...I know it will take some time.

Ran a 5K on Saturday with the 9 year old.  Winner ran a 15.  @go_pre would have battled him for the win!
    I was jogging for most since I was pacing my son.  He ended up about 40 seconds off his PR but in fairness he has a cold and was having some pains even swallowing any food on Friday night.
    He got 3rd place, which was fun for him to get announced and go up in front of everyone.  He even did a goofy little griddy and got some cheers.  The age group was 14 and under, when many races it is 12 and under.  The two kids who beat him did so by quite a bit and both were 14.  (One ran a 19)

Going to try and 5K PR in almost 3 weeks in Atlantic City.  Not in shape for it vs. last year but I am pushing now to catch up.  This week I am doing a 5 day water only fast, so I will see how hard I can go.  Often when I do these fasts my heart rate is fucked when running by Thursday.  We will see!

Have a good running week!  Been a while since I logged in on my laptop and can actually see this frigging hot mess of a forum.  Mobile is still fooked. 
  • Options

Good work setting your distance record.  Did you feel well while doing it?  Was that an easy pace for you or hard work pace?

• Options
    BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,054
    I've been jogging for years.
    I love music, but if I'm jogging outside I prefer a podcast or an audio book.

What does everything else listen to?
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Options
    Heavy metal
    Hip hop
    Some classic rock 
    Usually a mixture of those

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,137
    edited February 26

Good work setting your distance record.  Did you feel well while doing it?  Was that an easy pace for you or hard work pace?

We were running trail and gravel roads... so the pace was slower than on asphalt. And I made sure to take a few fake "let's look at this sign so we really know where we are" and "look, is that a squirrel. Lets stop and take a picture" pauses, because I was tired. Haha. But it was a nice saturday and the sun is out running pace.

I have a 14K trail run race in march. Seems doable. But will walk wherever it is steep.

And thinking about trying out the 21K (half marathon) run here in Gothenburg ("Göteborgsvarvet") in May.... but with a slow pace, and the only goal to finish the race and not worry about the time.

"It is the largest annual running competition in the world in terms of entries, with its 62,000 entries for the Göteborgsvarvet competition on 18 May 2013."
  • Options
    BSully said:
    I've been jogging for years.
    I love music, but if I'm jogging outside I prefer a podcast or an audio book.

What does everything else listen to?
    I ordered podcasts while running as well
  • Options
    PT going well so far. Added plyometrics today, assuming I feel OK tomorrow, will start a back to running progression later this week.
  • Options
    PT going well so far. Added plyometrics today, assuming I feel OK tomorrow, will start a back to running progression later this week.
    Good luck. I hope you are back to running soon.

I went to PT today for my back. She didn't think it was actually sciatica. After doing an assessment, she thought my pain was from my SI joint. She said I had amazing mobility (she even asked if I used to be a dancer - I am very flexible). However, she said I could use more strength in my core and my glutes. So, she gave me exercises to do to strengthen that. Since I don't currently have any pain I can continue with running. But going to build up slowly to where I was before.
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Good luck. I hope you are back to running soon.

I went to PT today for my back. She didn't think it was actually sciatica. After doing an assessment, she thought my pain was from my SI joint. She said I had amazing mobility (she even asked if I used to be a dancer - I am very flexible). However, she said I could use more strength in my core and my glutes. So, she gave me exercises to do to strengthen that. Since I don't currently have any pain I can continue with running. But going to build up slowly to where I was before.
    PT told me I need to add strength in my core and glutes as well! But I will never be confused for a former dancer, I'm not flexible at all 🤣 Great to hear you can continue running.

Luckily I feel good today, no pain from PT yesterday! Hopefully this continues and I can start the running progression this week.