Will we get live PJ shows, as we knew them, in 2021?

Comments

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    PB11041 said:
    This is an impossible question to answer as worded, and the respnoses are equally off.  To those who think the band is not coming out until this 100% taken care of, then you are never seeing the band again.  Covid-19 is never going to go away, it is extremely likley it, like influezna strains will have constant seasonal mutations and flare-ups.  The combination that the virus has proabably infected somewhere between 25-40% of the US population by the end of January (this is a large range because the scientific data is always impercise on how many are infected asymptomatically or even syptomatically but not reported/tested)  with vaccination probably puts covid-19 in the rearview roughly about the June time frame.  It is more likely they will feel comfortable with a Ohana festival than an Arena show, but it is still unlikely that 2021 happens.  It is going to take time for people to adjust to the idea that this virus is with us in some capacity and we are forced to live with it. The Flu was a thing you just think sucks but no one really stopped to think that people die from the flu, because we just become accustom to it because it was an acceptable percentage risk.  It is probably going to take at least another year for most people to wrap their head around that with Covid-19 as it becomes less prevelant but still in the world we live. 
    I agree with all of this but we need to stop using the flu as a comparison. In either a positive or negative context. Covid-19 is at least 10 times deadlier than the flu and spreads asymptomatically which is really bad. The good news, we already have vaccines up to 95% effective. That's something we've never remotely approached with flu vaccines. The flu mutates erratically from year to year. Hence why our vaccines are not very effective. I'm not going to ramble on about this stuff but Covid-19 doesn't have the capacity as a single stranded virus to change like the flu. Covid-19 would rather mutate into a less deadlier but contagious form for its own survival. These mutations could very well effect treatments but are not likely to impact vaccines. Also these new vaccines are mRNA and can quickly be changed. Bottom line is yes Covid-19 is here to stay but not in the context many in the media want to scare you with. Science already has the tools to crush this virus in a way we never had with the flu. We will also have antivirals treatments a year from now. There are a lot in the pipeline but vaccine development correctly took priority. If Covid-19 is still causing havoc in 5 years its because WE failed miserably, not because it morphed into some Frankenstein virus. We've been failing miserably at containing the virus for 10 months so it wouldn't shock me. Especially if immunity is only a year or so, unlikely but nobody really knows. If Covid-19 was a flu variant and spread asymptomatically we'd be toast. Consider ourselves fortunate to be living through a mid grade pandemic, this isn't the plague. PJ will eventually hit the stage again, just gonna take a long time for this all to play out. I'd be more than happy with shows in 2022 at this point. A lot went right if that's the case. Couple of cool scientific articles below...

https://asm.org/Articles/2020/July/COVID-19-and-the-Flu 

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/covid-19-is-the-virus-mutating/

wasn't comparing it ot the flu in any other sense that this is a permenant reality.  it is not going away, even with a vaccine.  People will still be getting covid, and some people will die from it, even when we have proper combination rate of vaccination and natural infection.  It is jut the way it is.  We have vaccines that are potentially 95% effective.  And influeznas have never been targeted by mRNA vaccination.  Moving forward, they will be.  The shinny side of this awful occurrence, is that the debate about the safety of mRNA based vaccination is almost certainly now going to be over.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    PJNB said:
    Reports are out now that the summer Olympics are in jeopardy again. It has not so much to do with being safe in the summer or not(at least for the time being) and more to do with the planning and the thousands of people involved  leading up to the games. This is the same scenario with the summer festivals planned in Europe. Though unlikely, I still think there is a chance shows can happen this summer if the vaccine distribution ramps up with the new ones being approved. That does nothing however for all of the workers that need to be on site in the spring months getting those areas set up. 
    issue with the Olympics is more around Japanese medical regulation.  They won't review the data done else where and just administer it, they are bound by their laws to go through their own trial period which it seems would not allow vaccination to begin in mass in the country until the end of May.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Olympics have a better chance than shows because they can be a TV event without live fans.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    PB11041 said:
    PJNB said:
    Reports are out now that the summer Olympics are in jeopardy again. It has not so much to do with being safe in the summer or not(at least for the time being) and more to do with the planning and the thousands of people involved  leading up to the games. This is the same scenario with the summer festivals planned in Europe. Though unlikely, I still think there is a chance shows can happen this summer if the vaccine distribution ramps up with the new ones being approved. That does nothing however for all of the workers that need to be on site in the spring months getting those areas set up. 
    issue with the Olympics is more around Japanese medical regulation.  They won't review the data done else where and just administer it, they are bound by their laws to go through their own trial period which it seems would not allow vaccination to begin in mass in the country until the end of May.  
    Was not aware of that thanks

Olympics have a better chance than shows because they can be a TV event without live fans.
    True but the set up for the Olympics is massive even with no fans involved. 
  • No
    bbiggs said:
    One thing that concerns me is the government (federal and/or state) continuing to intervene once we've reached a point that everyone that wants a vaccination has received one.  There is a large percentage of the population that is opting against it, at least thus far.  Even if vaccination timelines are met (big if), there could very well be upwards of 50% of the population that has not gotten it, and won't.  So then what?  The virus will still present on a larger scale than what they're hoping for.  In that case, I don't see concerts happening anytime soon, but of course I hope to be wrong.
    Then the media can move on from mask shaming to vaccine shaming.   It’ll be great!!!  (For them).
  • No
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:
    The festival industry is lobbying the government for aid. The headline makes it seem more dramatic. 

They can lobby until the cows come home, but until the virus is gone and everyone has had a vacine, mass gatherings for music will not take place any time soon.
    This virus will never be gone and everyone is not getting vaccinated. Not even close. Look at the numbers of health professionals that are already denying taking the vaccine on the first roll out. When the general public has its chance too the numbers will be even higher. What then? 

It is obvious that we are at the mercy of the government and health officials that will be making this call but if everyone that wants to be vaccinated is and our hospitals are not struggling what are we waiting for?

100% agree. At that point, you need to open venues, bars, restaurants, etc. We'll have reached the point where things will be for the foreseeable future. Let people get back to work and if someone wants to risk going unvaccinated, that's on them.
    Another thing that has to be remembered is most people who are declining the vaccine are on the "im young and healthy" train.  It is fact that young and healthy people can spread the virus, which is the main danger right now, but it likely won't harm them in a major fashion.  

So if we can get the older folks and people with pre existing conditions vaccinated (I imagine almost all of them will elect to do so), this alone will significantly relieve the burden of our health care facilities, which is the leading reason we still have the lockdowns and restrictions in place.  Getting through the first two phases of the graphic I posted above will significantly improve this entire situation.  

Yes someone young and healthy CAN get sick and die, but the odds of this happening are pretty low.  So in a way, it may be OK if some of this young and healthy population elect to not get vaccinated, and society will be able to move on just fine.  Coronavirus is here, it will always be here to some degree, it will mutate and continue to mutate for the next 20-30 years or longer.  We just need to get to a place where thousands of people aren't dying per day, which can happen when the at risk population is vaccinated.
    BINGO.

• BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    edited January 2021
    No
    pjl44 said:
    Not a chance. Too much to be done and nobody is in charge. 2022, maybe 2023. 

#didntwastemyshot 
    What makes you say this? States won't allow it? People won't go? Problems with vaccine distribution? This is an extremely pessimistic take.
    Pessimistic, yes, but scientifically grounded I would contest. There's no chance that Pearl Jam plays a show in 2021. I was stunned when they announced their intentions for Europe months ago as pandemics take at least 1.5 years to work through in a best case scenario - that's what history has taught us. 

What society and epidemiologists couldn't foresee was just how selfish and purposely uninformed (and disregard scientific evidence) so many people would remain since March 2020.

However, epidemiologists, for the better part of six months have forecasted a disastrous winter season in North America.

It's shameful that Ontario, Canada is currently being guided by a government that places the economy over people's health time and again. These decision makers should be held accountable for the people passing away in long term care homes and elsewhere.

Hey, let's not give essential workers 'sick leave' pay, and they'll show up to work sick because they need to put food on their family's table..... Waiting on a vaccine as the province plays chicken, and let's mitigate this pandemic, is negligence if there ever was a clear example of such behaviour.

Be proactive instead of reactive! Elected and appointed leaders need to pay attention and familiarize themselves with history.

Be safe everyone..... a late night rant

Post edited by BF89905 on
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    Yes

2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • No
    PB11041 said:
    This is an impossible question to answer as worded, and the respnoses are equally off.  To those who think the band is not coming out until this 100% taken care of, then you are never seeing the band again.  Covid-19 is never going to go away, it is extremely likley it, like influezna strains will have constant seasonal mutations and flare-ups.  The combination that the virus has proabably infected somewhere between 25-40% of the US population by the end of January (this is a large range because the scientific data is always impercise on how many are infected asymptomatically or even syptomatically but not reported/tested)  with vaccination probably puts covid-19 in the rearview roughly about the June time frame.  It is more likely they will feel comfortable with a Ohana festival than an Arena show, but it is still unlikely that 2021 happens.  It is going to take time for people to adjust to the idea that this virus is with us in some capacity and we are forced to live with it. The Flu was a thing you just think sucks but no one really stopped to think that people die from the flu, because we just become accustom to it because it was an acceptable percentage risk.  It is probably going to take at least another year for most people to wrap their head around that with Covid-19 as it becomes less prevelant but still in the world we live. 
    I agree with all of this but we need to stop using the flu as a comparison. In either a positive or negative context. Covid-19 is at least 10 times deadlier than the flu and spreads asymptomatically which is really bad. The good news, we already have vaccines up to 95% effective. That's something we've never remotely approached with flu vaccines. The flu mutates erratically from year to year. Hence why our vaccines are not very effective. I'm not going to ramble on about this stuff but Covid-19 doesn't have the capacity as a single stranded virus to change like the flu. Covid-19 would rather mutate into a less deadlier but contagious form for its own survival. These mutations could very well effect treatments but are not likely to impact vaccines. Also these new vaccines are mRNA and can quickly be changed. Bottom line is yes Covid-19 is here to stay but not in the context many in the media want to scare you with. Science already has the tools to crush this virus in a way we never had with the flu. We will also have antivirals treatments a year from now. There are a lot in the pipeline but vaccine development correctly took priority. If Covid-19 is still causing havoc in 5 years its because WE failed miserably, not because it morphed into some Frankenstein virus. We've been failing miserably at containing the virus for 10 months so it wouldn't shock me. Especially if immunity is only a year or so, unlikely but nobody really knows. If Covid-19 was a flu variant and spread asymptomatically we'd be toast. Consider ourselves fortunate to be living through a mid grade pandemic, this isn't the plague. PJ will eventually hit the stage again, just gonna take a long time for this all to play out. I'd be more than happy with shows in 2022 at this point. A lot went right if that's the case. Couple of cool scientific articles below...

https://asm.org/Articles/2020/July/COVID-19-and-the-Flu 

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/covid-19-is-the-virus-mutating/

Great Post  . My kind 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625

I have been behind Fauci most of the way with all of this mess but why does he keep moving the goal posts on heard immunity numbers? Also he knows and we all know 70-85% of the population will not be vaccinated by the fall no matter how good the rollout is. There are too many kids and antivaxxers in the population to come even close to those numbers. I have said it before but there is a large chance that if the vaccine rollout even goes half ok we will be sitting around looking for people to vaccinate this fall and there will be very little people looking to do so. Then what does that mean for live shows when we are know wheres near heard immunity? 

https://www.stereogum.com/2112632/dr-anthony-fauci-says-live-music-could-be-back-this-fall/news/?fbclid=IwAR3M3sMHvrayubs2m8SC2zWMJOvbzI0VcDn6hb3YC3cym9H8mp8T4RWbB8w

The New York Times reports that Fauci had a virtual conference on Saturday with people in the performing-arts world. During that call, Fauci gave a vague timeline for when music venues and theaters might be able to reopen. It’ll require American authorities vaccinating somewhere between 70-85% of the population, bringing us to herd immunity.

Here’s what Fauci said:

If everything goes right, this is will occur some time in the fall of 2021, so that by the time we get to the early to mid-fall, you can have people feeling safe performing onstage as well as people in the audience… I think you can then start getting back to almost full capacity of seating. We’ll be back in the theaters — performers will be performing, audiences will be enjoying it. It will happen.

• PeterEDPeterED Posts: 363
    No
    BF89905 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Not a chance. Too much to be done and nobody is in charge. 2022, maybe 2023. 

#didntwastemyshot 
    What makes you say this? States won't allow it? People won't go? Problems with vaccine distribution? This is an extremely pessimistic take.
    Pessimistic, yes, but scientifically grounded I would contest. There's no chance that Pearl Jam plays a show in 2021. I was stunned when they announced their intentions for Europe months ago as pandemics take at least 1.5 years to work through in a best case scenario - that's what history has taught us. 

What society and epidemiologists couldn't foresee was just how selfish and purposely uninformed (and disregard scientific evidence) so many people would remain since March 2020.

However, epidemiologists, for the better part of six months have forecasted a disastrous winter season in North America.

It's shameful that Ontario, Canada is currently being guided by a government that places the economy over people's health time and again. These decision makers should be held accountable for the people passing away in long term care homes and elsewhere.

Hey, let's not give essential workers 'sick leave' pay, and they'll show up to work sick because they need to put food on their family's table..... Waiting on a vaccine as the province plays chicken, and let's mitigate this pandemic, is negligence if there ever was a clear example of such behaviour.

Be proactive instead of reactive! Elected and appointed leaders need to pay attention and familiarize themselves with history.

Be safe everyone..... a late night rant

Bravo.

As a fellow Ontarian who has watched our provincial gov’t make avoidable mistakes at almost every turn I share the frustration that is so clear on your post.
    i don’t see concerts happening here until the fall of 2021. Even that will be touch and go given the immunization schedule that we have here.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • YourLightMadeUsStarsYourLightMadeUsStars NB, Canada Posts: 28
    No
    Unfortunately I agree with those saying 2021 will not happen, at least not "as we knew it".  I honestly don't ever seeing these types of events going back to "normal", similar to the 9/11 references on airports and travel changing for good. I don't know how it will work but it's hard to imagine being packed in like we used to. I've been wrong on plenty of things and I sincerely hope this is another case..  Does anyone else ever catch themselves cringing when you see people not wearing masks or hugging strangers while watching old movies?  I feel conditioned. 

In hindsight I am so thankful that the Mrs. agreed to jump on a plane on Sept 4th, 2018 and go see Pearl Jam in Boston.  Snagged the tickets through a ten club drop the day before, arranged a babysitter, and then got a couple plane tickets.  Had a bite & few drinks after the show and flew right back to Canada without sleeping.  Unforgettable experience even without knowing what would come. 

Still hanging on to my tickets for the four CDN shows and waiting patiently like the rest of you for good news. I'd like to wait until we can continue on with sell out crowds so that it doesn't become a cluster fuck with reduced seating and then having to compete for your tickets back with only 50% of them available or whatever.  
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    No
    Still hanging on to my tickets for the four CDN shows and waiting patiently like the rest of you for good news. I'd like to wait until we can continue on with sell out crowds so that it doesn't become a cluster fuck with reduced seating and then having to compete for your tickets back with only 50% of them available or whatever.  

Same. Can't believe it's been a year ago today the 2020 tour was confirmed.
  • chiefnjkchiefnjk Posts: 301
    Yes
    At least in the U.S., if at least half of adults 18+ get vaccinated, community spread could be severely curtailed by early summer (June). At that point, the vaccine is generally available to everyone, cases are way down (due to both vaccinated and natural immunity populations) and we are living in a new normal. The virus could be around for years or forever. The goal can't be zero cases before life as we knew it (or something close to it) resumes, it's just not realistic. We need to protect immunocompromised and vulnerable populations. As Fauci and others have said, don't let "perfect" be the enemy of good. My guess is PJ resumes with outdoor shows in September as planned with arena shows (including the spring 2020 US/Can dates) to follow in October. When it's your turn, please get vaccinated. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    chiefnjk said:
    At least in the U.S., if at least half of adults 18+ get vaccinated, community spread could be severely curtailed by early summer (June). At that point, the vaccine is generally available to everyone, cases are way down (due to both vaccinated and natural immunity populations) and we are living in a new normal. The virus could be around for years or forever. The goal can't be zero cases before life as we knew it (or something close to it) resumes, it's just not realistic. We need to protect immunocompromised and vulnerable populations. As Fauci and others have said, don't let "perfect" be the enemy of good. My guess is PJ resumes with outdoor shows in September as planned with arena shows (including the spring 2020 US/Can dates) to follow in October. When it's your turn, please get vaccinated. 
    Maybe.   How comfortable are people going to be going to concerts if only 50% of people are immune.   For me, if I had the vaccine, absolutely I'll go.  Once i've immune my concern will wane.

This will create a concert logistical issue. They need to fill the seats to make the concerts work. If a sizable portion of the population isn't comfortable going, they won't be able to fill the seats.

Here in Canada it seems like next fall is best case scenario for the vaccine being rolled out to everyone that want's one.   Progress thus far is not on pace for that (but it's early)..

I feel like summer concert's might be too early.. Fall seems best case scenario, but if vaccine rollouts go out slower than expect it could be longer :( 
  • Casi007Casi007 Posts: 12
    No
    I am doubtful we will see shows how we knew them pre-COVID but I'll remain hopeful. 
  • Does anyone else ever catch themselves cringing when you see people not wearing masks or hugging strangers while watching old movies?  I feel conditioned.
    I’ve found myself having some of that same reaction. Societally, we’ve got to fight like hell against this feeling. All the forces of inertia are going to try and stop us returning to the status quo ante, but we can’t let covid create a fundamental change in the way human interaction works. 

I don’t know if I’m optimistic that packed stadiums will return, but I certainly hope they do. 
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 556
    Yes
    This study gave me hope of a return to normalcy, but probably not 2021. Essentially, they found the likelihood is COVID becomes more like the common cold. Once people have received the vaccine or develop immunity from surviving it, the virus will still be around, but will have moved to the endemic phase and will behave like the other 4 coronaviruses currently in the endemic phase that cause primarily mild symptoms. Of course, the study leaves room for other outcomes given the unknowns that exist.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2021/01/11/science.abe6522
  • Casi007Casi007 Posts: 12
    No
    Thanks for sharing this @BloodMeridian80
  • No

I’m interested to hear what fans believe shows would look like if they are no longer “as we knew them”. In my opinion there’s only a small number of things that can be done. Eliminating GA would probably be the first thing that comes to my mind, therefore lowering the cross pollination of a large venue. But what else? I support vaccine mandates but doubt many will ever become reality. Masks and or half empty venues will simply lead an end to live music. I’m sorry, if I have to go to a concert wearing a mask and staying 6 ft away from my fellow fans something is seriously wrong and there is substantial risk involved. I support masks but they are not solving the worlds problems. I live in CA wear you can barely walk outside your home without one and we are the center of the pandemic right now. I for one will find other avenues to enjoy my free time if a concert or ballpark experience becomes as sterile as some of you envision. I won’t be joining you all in the “New Normal”, I’ll be enjoying nature and starting a new chapter in my life, not trying to navigate a disfigured world by attending lifeless events. Has anyone here attended a sporting event recently? The few people I know who have said it was lousy. No tailgating, barely any food and beverage available, restrictions on where you can walk. These institutions will not survive in this manner, concerts, amusement parks, movie theatres, cruise lines, airlines etc. will not make it in the "New Normal", they’ll die. Which is why I've never bought into this thought of a "New Normal". At some point in late 2021 we as a society will reach a crossroads. At that point lockdowns will be replaced by civil unrest unlike anything we’ve seen. There’s already a large portion of society ready to move on right now, in the middle or a raging pandemic. Wait until late in the year when hospital numbers are a fraction of what they are now. Good luck holding back that tsunami.

06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587

I’m interested to hear what fans believe shows would look like if they are no longer “as we knew them”. In my opinion there’s only a small number of things that can be done. Eliminating GA would probably be the first thing that comes to my mind, therefore lowering the cross pollination of a large venue. But what else? I support vaccine mandates but doubt many will ever become reality. Masks and or half empty venues will simply lead an end to live music. I’m sorry, if I have to go to a concert wearing a mask and staying 6 ft away from my fellow fans something is seriously wrong and there is substantial risk involved. I support masks but they are not solving the worlds problems. I live in CA wear you can barely walk outside your home without one and we are the center of the pandemic right now. I for one will find other avenues to enjoy my free time if a concert or ballpark experience becomes as sterile as some of you envision. I won’t be joining you all in the “New Normal”, I’ll be enjoying nature and starting a new chapter in my life, not trying to navigate a disfigured world by attending lifeless events. Has anyone here attended a sporting event recently? The few people I know who have said it was lousy. No tailgating, barely any food and beverage available, restrictions on where you can walk. These institutions will not survive in this manner, concerts, amusement parks, movie theatres, cruise lines, airlines etc. will not make it in the "New Normal", they’ll die. Which is why I've never bought into this thought of a "New Normal". At some point in late 2021 we as a society will reach a crossroads. At that point lockdowns will be replaced by civil unrest unlike anything we’ve seen. There’s already a large portion of society ready to move on right now, in the middle or a raging pandemic. Wait until late in the year when hospital numbers are a fraction of what they are now. Good luck holding back that tsunami.

The US will be back to the old normal in late summer. We should be at herd immunity by way of vaccines and infected people by then. 
  • No

The US will be back to the old normal in late summer. We should be at herd immunity by way of vaccines and infected people by then. 
    I like your positivity!!! I know things are bleak but lets hang in there. Sadly I believe infections are going to contribute towards our pursuit of herd immunity WAY more than they need to but hey, why expect anything less at his point? Watching the news right now, demand for the vaccine in the over 65 age bracket in California is outpacing demand. This is great news, you get this age bracket vaccinated and the worst of the nightmare is behind us. The majority of hospitalizations and deaths are in people over 55 with 75 and older taking most of the deaths. Vaccinate these groups, and others at high risk and things will no doubt improve. Not enough to enjoy concerts anytime soon but one step at a time. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1191568/reported-deaths-from-covid-by-age-us/

06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587

I like your positivity!!! I know things are bleak but lets hang in there. Sadly I believe infections are going to contribute towards our pursuit of herd immunity WAY more than they need to but hey, why expect anything less at his point? Watching the news right now, demand for the vaccine in the over 65 age bracket in California is outpacing demand. This is great news, you get this age bracket vaccinated and the worst of the nightmare is behind us. The majority of hospitalizations and deaths are in people over 55 with 75 and older taking most of the deaths. Vaccinate these groups, and others at high risk and things will no doubt improve. Not enough to enjoy concerts anytime soon but one step at a time. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1191568/reported-deaths-from-covid-by-age-us/

I’m thinking dates in the US for Pearl Jam in the fall on either side of Ohana and whatever the festival in Jersey is called
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    No
    Listening to wrigley 2, 2018 which happens to be the last time I saw pj live.  Damn I am ready to fly anywhere in the world to see these guys kick some serious ass in front of an audience.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • RyanRyan Posts: 1,012
    No
    A year will go by fast.  I’d rather they just flip spring North America 2020, to the same time of year roughly, 2022.  By then people won’t be worrying about if they have access to the vaccine or not and will be allowed to travel and people can properly plan and hopefully safely enjoy.  I wish they’d announce those North America shows soon for March or April 2022 just to have them on the books to look forward to.

With midterm elections in fall 2022 it’d be cool if they just recreated everything they were planning on doing in 2020 - spring North America, Europe in June/July and then swing/red States in Sept/Oct.
    Then Australia early 2023, maybe South America.

Personally I’d prefer these shows are announced maybe a bit further out and they aren’t the first band back out, just to avoid multiple reschedules, which seems consistent to their strategy thus far. 
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    No
    Zod said:
    chiefnjk said:
    Maybe.   How comfortable are people going to be going to concerts if only 50% of people are immune.   For me, if I had the vaccine, absolutely I'll go.  Once i've immune my concern will wane.

This will create a concert logistical issue. They need to fill the seats to make the concerts work. If a sizable portion of the population isn't comfortable going, they won't be able to fill the seats.

Here in Canada it seems like next fall is best case scenario for the vaccine being rolled out to everyone that want's one.   Progress thus far is not on pace for that (but it's early)..

I feel like summer concert's might be too early.. Fall seems best case scenario, but if vaccine rollouts go out slower than expect it could be longer :( 
    We don’t know how long the vaccine lasts though. I’m going back for my 2nd dose on the 26th and until there’s more research results on it, I won’t be changing my behaviors. It might be something people need to have annually like a flu shot. If it’s a one and done situation, then great! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923
    New Zealand is hosting festivals now. Could we see a NZ/Australia tour towards the end of the year?
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • PeterEDPeterED Posts: 363
    No
    tino_11 said:
    New Zealand is hosting festivals now. Could we see a NZ/Australia tour towards the end of the year?
    Would they want to put themselves, families, and crew through a 2 week hotel isolation in Australia? (Assuming that is still in place.)

It would add a significant expense to the tour, no? 
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • Yes
    I think we may get shows in the fall in NA if vaccine rollout goes well. Maybe it's just me being hopeful, man I need a PJ show.