Nate Silver 538

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Geez this topic was floating to the bottom where it belonged. 538 missed everywhere and many moderate Dems are gone because pollsters and forecasters completely missed what was happening in purple suburban districts. They do this again in 2022 with the Rs being the party of opposition, the midterms could be a blood bath.

Ill just keep posting the below facts, y’all believe what you must.

538 President estimate was off by-

8 - WI

7- OH

6- FL IA MI

5- PA NV TX

4- NC

9 of 11 states outside a reasonable margin of error. 

Missed the senate completely and overestimated the Dems house majority by double.

Many House Dems are furious, not sure exactly what the rationale is on this forum for thinking 538 had a clue what’s going on. Something is brewing in this country, and the pollsters/ forecasters completely missed it.

My safe Dem Congressperson is actually losing right now still waiting for some mail in ballots. I have not had a republican congressman in decades, if ever.

Other races, 

” She specifically pointed to the defund the police movement and said it hurt her and other moderates who were in tight races. 

Spanberger raised her voice, telling fellow Democrats they needed to learn a lesson from this cycle or "we will be f---ing torn apart in 2022." 

Several of the Democrats who lost their races also offered assessments of the election, including Rep. Debbie Mucarsel-Powell, one of two moderates in South Florida who lost to Republican challengers. 

She started to cry as she described the many messages and calls she's received from colleagues. "The loss on Tuesday was heartbreaking. I'm not going to lie," she said, her voice cracking. 

Democrats like this need to shut the fuck up and stop taking this to the media. Take it up internally.  Stop fucking your own party you sore loser
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    dignin said:
    Geez this topic was floating to the bottom where it belonged. 538 missed everywhere and many moderate Dems are gone because pollsters and forecasters completely missed what was happening in purple suburban districts. They do this again in 2022 with the Rs being the party of opposition, the midterms could be a blood bath.

8 - WI

7- OH

6- FL IA MI

5- PA NV TX

4- NC

Missed the senate completely and overestimated the Dems house majority by double.

Many House Dems are furious, not sure exactly what the rationale is on this forum for thinking 538 had a clue what’s going on. Something is brewing in this country, and the pollsters/ forecasters completely missed it.

My safe Dem Congressperson is actually losing right now still waiting for some mail in ballots. I have not had a republican congressman in decades, if ever.

Other races, 

” She specifically pointed to the defund the police movement and said it hurt her and other moderates who were in tight races. 

Spanberger raised her voice, telling fellow Democrats they needed to learn a lesson from this cycle or "we will be f---ing torn apart in 2022." 

Several of the Democrats who lost their races also offered assessments of the election, including Rep. Debbie Mucarsel-Powell, one of two moderates in South Florida who lost to Republican challengers. 

She started to cry as she described the many messages and calls she's received from colleagues. "The loss on Tuesday was heartbreaking. I'm not going to lie," she said, her voice cracking. 

Democrats like this need to shut the fuck up and stop taking this to the media. Take it up internally.  Stop fucking your own party you sore loser
    The leak of the discussion didn't necessarily come from the two people here. 

Is this your version of "fuck your feelings"?
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

8 - WI

7- OH

6- FL IA MI

5- PA NV TX

4- NC

Other races, 

Can you explain further?
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

8 - WI

7- OH

6- FL IA MI

5- PA NV TX

4- NC

Other races, 

Can you explain further?
    Spanberger (who won) and Powell aren't necessarily the ones who leaked details of the call to the media.  You told the "sore loser" to stfu. 
    Second,  that attitude is the equivalent of the Trump "fuck your feelings" mantra. The woman just lost her election.  Have a heart. 
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

8 - WI

7- OH

6- FL IA MI

5- PA NV TX

4- NC

Other races, 

Can you explain further?
    Spanberger (who won) and Powell aren't necessarily the ones who leaked details of the call to the media.  You told the "sore loser" to stfu. 
    Second,  that attitude is the equivalent of the Trump "fuck your feelings" mantra. The woman just lost her election.  Have a heart. 
    I don't know the circumstances around how it got into the media but be smarter. If it has the possibility to get leaked, shut the fuck up. The quotes seem pretty detailed, like it was recorded. Democrat politicians need to toughen up, fuck their feelings. If you need to have a cry about running a bad campaign and losing, do it at home in private. If you can't handle it, you are in the wrong career. Blaming others for your loss is pathetic, full stop. Eating your own because you lost is very Trump.

Have a heart? That's bleeding heart liberal nonsense. 

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    :rofl:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

8 - WI

7- OH

6- FL IA MI

5- PA NV TX

4- NC

Other races, 

Can you explain further?
    I don't know the circumstances around how it got into the media but be smarter. If it has the possibility to get leaked, shut the fuck up. The quotes seem pretty detailed, like it was recorded. Democrat politicians need to toughen up, fuck their feelings. If you need to have a cry about running a bad campaign and losing, do it at home in private. If you can't handle it, you are in the wrong career. Blaming others for your loss is pathetic, full stop. Eating your own because you lost is very Trump.

It's shitty
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

8 - WI

7- OH

6- FL IA MI

5- PA NV TX

4- NC

Other races, 

Can you explain further?

😯
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    🍺🍿🍺
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Jamie Harrison who lost to POS Graham conceded with class no crying no blaming..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Jamie Harrison who lost to POS Graham conceded with class no crying no blaming..
    Fuck her feelings
    mrussel1 said:
    Fuck her feelings
    Not saying that , but I agree with Digs she can let it all out in the privacy of her home after defeat you have to come to terms that your campaign was not strong or good enough to win it..
    mrussel1 said:
    Fuck her feelings
    Not saying that , but I agree with Digs she can let it all out in the privacy of her home after defeat you have to come to terms that your campaign was not strong or good enough to win it..
    Spanberger almost lost here,  a district that Biden carried easily.  The reason is that the RNC ran ad after ad showing "defund the police" and riot footage. I told my wife last week that I was really worried about how much money outside groups were pouring into our district.  It was clear they believed it was more competitive than I did. Abby's point that she made on the call was that rhetoric (not the beliefs) of the left and reps cost people seats,  and almost cost her seat.  I believe she's right and it needs to be said on a caucus call.  It's not her fault that someone leaked it. 

Regarding Powell crying,  she was on the call not conceding on television like Harrison.  Different situation.  Warning signs were up that Trump was on Spanish language radio all over South Florida with socialism accusations.  And you know how that plays in the Cuban community.  She's upset she lost in an area that should have been a win.  It might well have cost Biden Florida as well. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Fuck her feelings
    Spanberger almost lost here,  a district that Biden carried easily.  The reason is that the RNC ran ad after ad showing "defund the police" and riot footage. I told my wife last week that I was really worried about how much money outside groups were pouring into our district.  It was clear they believed it was more competitive than I did. Abby's point that she made on the call was that rhetoric (not the beliefs) of the left and reps cost people seats,  and almost cost her seat.  I believe she's right and it needs to be said on a caucus call.  It's not her fault that someone leaked it. 

Regarding Powell crying,  she was on the call not conceding on television like Harrison.  Different situation.  Warning signs were up that Trump was on Spanish language radio all over South Florida with socialism accusations.  And you know how that plays in the Cuban community.  She's upset she lost in an area that should have been a win.  It might well have cost Biden Florida as well. 
    Yes the RNC knows how to stoke fear into the voting public, but at some point the Democratic candidate needs to fight fire with fire, I don’t know enough about how she combated the misinformation being done by the RNC..
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Fuck her feelings

Yes the RNC knows how to stoke fear into the voting public, but at some point the Democratic candidate needs to fight fire with fire, I don’t know enough about how she combated the misinformation being done by the RNC..
    Democrats run their share of negative ads.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Fuck her feelings

Would you say it’s on the same level as the Republicans?
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    It's no where near the same level. The Republican Party is the party of fear (especially of the Other), religious zealots, exclusion, and greed.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Fuck her feelings

Would you say it’s on the same level as the Republicans?
    Yeah at the individual election level,  for sure.  I saw a roughly number of equal ads. In fact,  if you think about the cash advantage the dems had,  they probably ran far more negative ads simply because they ran far more ads period. 
    This I can agree with. But there's a clear difference between a negative ad (Trump is gross, because that's not not true) and stoking fear of racism and those who are poor which is what the Rs always do.
    This I can agree with. But there's a clear difference between a negative ad (Trump is gross, because that's not not true) and stoking fear of racism and those who are poor which is what the Rs always do.
    So the question is, is that what our fellow posters are arguing D's need to start doing?  Stoking fears?
    Yeah SC come to mind J Harrison raised how much $ and lost convincingly! 
    mrussel1 said:
    So the question is, is that what our fellow posters are arguing D's need to start doing?  Stoking fears?
    I would hope not. Definitely play the same game as the R's going forward when it comes to legislating, but that's about all the Dems should follow.

Otherwise, other than salt, fat, and sugar, the remaining excessive basic instincts of greed, and fear of the other the R's can keep.

As Biden Inches Ahead in Georgia, Stacey Abrams Draws Recognition and Praise

Celebrities, activists and voters credited Ms. Abrams for building a network of organizations that highlighted voter suppression and inspired an estimated 800,000 new voter registrations

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/06/us/politics/stacey-abrams-georgia.html

That's how you deal with a loss. She's an inspiration. 
    And if Dems want to expand and more efficiently spend their money it's not to pour donations into campaigns in the final 12 months. That money would be soooo much better used if it's invested at a basic, grassroots level based around neighborhood networks. The only way the Dem party will ever be dominant is if it plants seeds years in advance through these types of groups.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Is this the same dude that does sports predictions in baseball, basketball, etc.... ?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    And if Dems want to expand and more efficiently spend their money it's not to pour donations into campaigns in the final 12 months. That money would be soooo much better used if it's invested at a basic, grassroots level based around neighborhood networks. The only way the Dem party will ever be dominant is if it plants seeds years in advance through these types of groups.
    I worked on a campaign that lost twice in a row. We were trying to flip a heavy conservative district that had been that way for around 50 years. Our candidate never cried when she lost, she just worked harder. It took 8 years of fundraising, door knocking and identifying support and then making sure that support voted. We have defended that seat for 2 elections now. 

dignin said:
    I worked on a campaign that lost twice in a row. We were trying to flip a heavy conservative district that had been that way for around 50 years. Our candidate never cried when she lost, she just worked harder. It took 8 years of fundraising, door knocking and identifying support and then making sure that support voted. We have defended that seat for 2 elections now. 

I guess she is just a better person than Powell.  
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

Now you're just being petty. You know that's not what I said, you're just basically pouting at this point, I don't understand why. If this candidate was your friend and I insulted her and hurt your feelings I apologize.

Do I think she's a better politician? Based on the evidence I have little doubt. 
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

Now you're just being petty. You know that's not what I said, you're just basically pouting at this point, I don't understand why. If this candidate was your friend and I insulted her and hurt your feelings I apologize.

Do I think she's a better politician? Based on the evidence I have little doubt. 
    Pouty? About what? Democrats and their voters are supposed to be better people than than our counterparts.  If I see something that doesn't live up to that standard,  I'm going to call it out.  I do it consistently on this board and in real life.