The Food Thread

Comments

• PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Who's up for a night of Brisket and Chill?
    Looking good. Go Dawgs!
    Indeed, my friend! GATA!
    Was a cool night last night. How did the Temps hold?
    The cooker temps were actually great. I was able to maintain it at just around 225°. The unique thing (to me at least) is that I'm still cooking it. My longest brisket cook before this was 15 hours. I've heard of notorious stalls, but this is the first one I've ever encountered (I've cooked probably around 10 or so). It's just now pulling through after an almost 7 hour stall while wrapped.  Still around 40° to go, but I expect it to be done in the next 2-3 hours. It was 18 lbs/pre-trimmed so it's pretty large.

We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927
    Looking good. Go Dawgs!
    Indeed, my friend! GATA!
    The cooker temps were actually great. I was able to maintain it at just around 225°. The unique thing (to me at least) is that I'm still cooking it. My longest brisket cook before this was 15 hours. I've heard of notorious stalls, but this is the first one I've ever encountered (I've cooked probably around 10 or so). It's just now pulling through after an almost 7 hour stall while wrapped.  Still around 40° to go, but I expect it to be done in the next 2-3 hours. It was 18 lbs/pre-trimmed so it's pretty large.

Damn dude, that is a pretty long stall, but itll be worth it. 

Looking forward to seeing the finished product! 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Looking good. Go Dawgs!
    Indeed, my friend! GATA!

That's some patience with a long cook. I've heard of 'the stall', but haven't cooked enough brisket to experience it.
    Looking forward to the final product.

As promised, here is the finished product. Took 22.5 hours to finish off the brisket at 225°. Longest smoke I've ever encountered but soooooooooo worth it. Best brisket I've ever cooked. Just beyond words right now. It's so tender, so flavorful, and so moist. I'm just blown away. Made the 22-hour smoke completely worth it.
    As promised, here is the finished product. Took 22.5 hours to finish off the brisket at 225°. Longest smoke I've ever encountered but soooooooooo worth it. Best brisket I've ever cooked. Just beyond words right now. It's so tender, so flavorful, and so moist. I'm just blown away. Made the 22-hour smoke completely worth it.
    Holy shit man! I'm on my way haha.

Looks unbelievable, well done.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    Whoa!! That looks amazing. I can almost taste it. Incredible smoke ring. Takes low and slow to a whole new level. Enjoy. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Food boner!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Daaaaaamn that brisket!!! Holy shit!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Yoooooooo. You son of a bitch!
    Thanks, guys! I am supremely happy with how this cook came out. I've been fighting briskets for the last two years. Some good, most made great chili. This one positively rivaled even some of the briskets I've had in Texas, and that is not hyperbole. Just so happy.
    Thanks, guys! I am supremely happy with how this cook came out. I've been fighting briskets for the last two years. Some good, most made great chili. This one positively rivaled even some of the briskets I've had in Texas, and that is not hyperbole. Just so happy.
    Congrats. That's a big food win. 
    Looks amazing. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

Oh my.  That looks phenomenal.  Did you wrap it at all or just let it go all the way??  Brisket is so frustrating to smoke especially when it hits the stall and you need to wrap it and then it loses that bark.  

Oh my.  That looks phenomenal.  Did you wrap it at all or just let it go all the way??  Brisket is so frustrating to smoke especially when it hits the stall and you need to wrap it and then it loses that bark.  
    Thanks! I wrapped in butcher paper. Surprisingly, the bark held pretty well even wrapped and even though the stall lasted almost 8 hours. I considered briefly going full unwrapped, but it wasn't part of my initial plan and after years of going off-book and second-guessing myself I decided to stick with the plan this time. I'll probably try one more this way and then start experimenting with going unwrapped to see which I prefer more. Needless to say, I was super happy with the way this one came out so I'm nervous about doing something new at least for now. Every cook is different so I'm not expecting the same results next time but, if I'm close, then I'll know this method works well and will try other things.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    It is not unusual for an 18 pounder to take that long. Looks fantastic.  
    edited October 2020
    Visited my fish guy today and it was all about shells.

Post edited by eddiec on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Cat looks great!
    edited October 2020
    eddiec said:
    Visited my fish guy today and it was all about shells.

Mussels and lobster look amazing. Your cat is very well-behaved. My cat would be pooping out lobster shell :s

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    In the not all good food looks good category, here’s tonight’s fish chowder. 

Used bacon grease to show these damn yankees how it’s done. 

Olive oil for chowder? Get the fuck outta my face with that shit!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Sounds good
    I made crawfish for the first time tonight; the kids loved them!!! Success.   
    Mudbugs!
    Mudbugs are the shit!!
    Happy birthday, mom

Sweet Baby Spaghetti Monster!
    edited October 2020
    Daaaaaamn cliffy! What is on top of the lettuce leaves and won ton?
    mcgruff10 said:
    Ahi tuna nachos. Wontons, avocado and marinated tuna

Shit was banging 
    Holy Sushi, Batman. 
    Sweet Baby Spaghetti Monster!
    No go on the sake. Didn’t have time for Zama so just went wine
    mcgruff10 said:
    Ahi tuna nachos. Wontons, avocado and marinated tuna

Shit was banging 
    Looks good as hell from here!  Happy birthday mama cliffy!!!
    Happy birthday, mom

Looks awesome man, very nicely done!