The Food Thread

Comments

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    edited November 2023
    Get_Right said:
    Oysters have gotten expensive. Even farmed are approaching $4 a pop. That said they are still one of my favorite things to eat. Raw or cooked.
    East coast, yeah?
    I wonder if that's because they continue to grow in popularity. I rarely saw oysters on menus when I was younger, now they're everywhere.

On the west coast of Ireland there are an abundance and they're still pretty cheap. $15-20 for a dozen top quality oysters. 
    I think the majority of them get exported to France where they sell for a lot more.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,779
    eddiec said:
    Get_Right said:
    Oysters have gotten expensive. Even farmed are approaching $4 a pop. That said they are still one of my favorite things to eat. Raw or cooked.
    East coast, yeah?
    I wonder if that's because they continue to grow in popularity. I rarely saw oysters on menus when I was younger, now they're everywhere.

On the west coast of Ireland there are an abundance and they're still pretty cheap. $15-20 for a dozen top quality oysters. 
    I think the majority of them get exported to France where they sell for a lot more.

Yes. 36 miles north of the city.  And not close to any oyster farms/beds.  We have a few raw bars around and a dozen will set you back $36-$48. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    You can find $2 oyster happy hours around here that used to be $1. I think $3 is pretty started these days with the better ones going higher. Gonna say, those South Carolina guys were my favorite in a long time…a lot of them were more razor shaped than round and just awesome 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    Cutlet and Rabe Sammies. Go Birds

www.myspace.com
  • Very nice!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Looks incredible!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    Thanks guys. Was delicious. I think I will chop the rabe up next time I make these though. 
    www.myspace.com
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,973
    Wow. Nice combo. I never tried it. I've had Rabe and sausage sub. Really good too. 

Sushi night!
  • Daaaaaaaaaaaaam, broseph.  
    That looks amazing.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    God damn cliffy!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Well done Cliffy!

Thanks. First time doing scallops at home like this. Tough to cut evenly 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Sweeeet.
    Love the tableware as well.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
    Is it too early to start talking about everyone’s menu for thanksgiving? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Just say No to green bean casserole!
    ;)
    Just say No to green bean casserole!
    ;)
    😂😂😂 yeah I’m not a fan 
    Just say No to green bean casserole!
    ;)

Oh no, we have to have it. In fact, my kids said skip the turkey and just make green beans, stuffing and apple pie. 
    I can’t stand the whole Turkey on thanksgiving.  So gross.   
    Yeah we’re not doing a whole turkey I’d rather eat some other foods to go with a couple of turkey breast 
    Yeah we’re not doing a whole turkey I’d rather eat some other foods to go with a couple of turkey breast 
    Totally agree with you.  

wow! Thai pepper beer glazed b sprouts with grilled butternut squash. Wow. Yum. 
    Squash and peppers from my garden. Great combo. Didn't try the squash yet.

“Leftovers” from sushi night 
  • eddiec said:
    Get_Right said:
    East coast, yeah?

So here in the South Bay I met the owner of the Blue Island oyster farms. He leases all sorts of land from the counties.  He ships his oysters all over the world now.

He also got in on the Billion Oyster project which cleaned up the south bay.  These things are like the spleen of the ocean. It's nice too considering the oysters were farmed out and gone from the bay.  They have plenty of them now.
  • mcgruff10 said:
    I look forward to making turkey salad the next day.  Sooooo good.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,692
    mcgruff10 said:
    There will be 11 adults and 8 kids at our Thanksgiving gathering. I am going after the biggest turkey I can find!
    mcgruff10 said:
    There will be 11 adults and 8 kids at our Thanksgiving gathering. I am going after the biggest turkey I can find!
    😂😂😂 hell yeah with those numbers easy call! Do you carve it 😃
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,692
    mcgruff10 said:
    😂😂😂 hell yeah with those numbers easy call! Do you carve it 😃
    I cook it, my wife carves it. My knife skills are subpar at best.
  • I have a 19 pounder for a small group.  I love some roasted bird.  Carving it is fun....burn my damn fingers most years. :lol: