Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,297
    17 degrees celcius. Listened to the Stephen King short story Mute

Nice run, 17C is about perfect for running. I would take that.
    GlowGirl said:
    I had to give in and order a bottle with hand carry.  My 4th mile was my slowest mile, by far, this morning.  Legs were screaming at me.  Good news is I quit whining for the 5th/last mile and it was the fastest of the day, as is meant to be the case.

Do I fill the bottle with vodka?  Would make for an interesting run turned into walk....
    I carry a bottle with me but it doesn’t have a hand carry. I have one of those rubbery ones that gets flatter and flatter like a deflating balloon as you drink. The only way to get the water out is to bite down on the rubber tip. So I can squeeze it really tight when I am running and nothing squirts out the top. I like it. 
    I ordered a flipbelt (which my wife is calling a fanny pack), and a water bottle specifically designed for it. Going to try it out on my run Saturday. I really don't like carrying a bottle in my hands while running. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I got the bottle and it is just like you describe, GG, but it has a mesh /elastic handle holder thing.
    I hate it.
    Water doesn't come out very well and biting the tip is nothing I ever want to hear about.  

Will try on Saturday .

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Newfie that is a big jump form 6-7 miles to 13.  You've done the half before?  (Sorry if you already told us an I forgot.  I may not drink vodka on nights before I run but do drink a lot of it on other nights.  :lol:
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    My friend says I’m still running to fast... but how slow can you run... try to get down to 8min/km 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    How do you feel?
    If your legs, knees, feet, and chest feel ok, then you are fine.
    If you have mild soreness in legs, you are ok, just add stretching perhaps
    Chest pain = no bueno, slow down.

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,693
    GlowGirl said:
    I had to give in and order a bottle with hand carry.  My 4th mile was my slowest mile, by far, this morning.  Legs were screaming at me.  Good news is I quit whining for the 5th/last mile and it was the fastest of the day, as is meant to be the case.

Do I fill the bottle with vodka?  Would make for an interesting run turned into walk....
    I carry a bottle with me but it doesn’t have a hand carry. I have one of those rubbery ones that gets flatter and flatter like a deflating balloon as you drink. The only way to get the water out is to bite down on the rubber tip. So I can squeeze it really tight when I am running and nothing squirts out the top. I like it. 
    I ordered a flipbelt (which my wife is calling a fanny pack), and a water bottle specifically designed for it. Going to try it out on my run Saturday. I really don't like carrying a bottle in my hands while running. 
    I have one of those belts as well. My water bottle also is designed for it. But, it doesn't really fit with my phone, and I would rather carry the water and have easy access to it, than carry my phone. So, I zip up my phone in the water bottle compartment in the belt and carry the water. Since the bottle is flexible, it is easy to carry in terms of getting a good grip on it. I don't think I would like running with a hard water bottle. 

I got the bottle and it is just like you describe, GG, but it has a mesh /elastic handle holder thing.
    I hate it.
    Water doesn't come out very well and biting the tip is nothing I ever want to hear about.  

Will try on Saturday .

I have thought of all kinds of nasty replies to biting the tip - but will keep them to myself =)

Newfie that is a big jump form 6-7 miles to 13.  You've done the half before?  (Sorry if you already told us an I forgot.  I may not drink vodka on nights before I run but do drink a lot of it on other nights.  :lol:
    I did a half a few weeks ago (maybe a month) in 1:39. I've been doing 10+ miles once a week for maybe 6 weeks now. 

There is a 15K race here in Sept, I'm thinking about entering to have something to work towards. 
    GlowGirl said:
    I hate it.

Will try on Saturday .

I have thought of all kinds of nasty replies to biting the tip - but will keep them to myself =)

Kinda figured that would get a funny reply.

I hate it.

Will try on Saturday .

If your bottle is like mine, it can take a few minutes to figure out the best way to get the water out. Without sounding dirty - you really do have to bite the rubber tip with your teeth for the water to come out. You can't suck out the water or squeeze it out like you would think. That way, nothing spills out when you are running. You literally have to bite down on it at the same time you are squeezing it (Yes, I know how that sounds). See if that makes the water come out better. I am assuming your bottle is like mine. If not, then never mind.

Thanks, feeling like a dope that it doesn't work, this might be the answer.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    I'm enjoying going through this thread and seeing everyone's run stories and encouragement.  Good stuff and uplifting!   Helps get me out the door for runs myself and I'm not dealing with any heat! 
    Awesome! The positivity of this thread is inspiring for sure 👍
    I had a 4.5 mile recovery run on Tuesday after work. Was 32C here and unusually humid. Calves were a little tender after the 8 mile on the weekend, but loosened up about halfway in (yes I stretched... warmed up a bit). 

4 miles tomorrow morning... still humid here. It’s tough sledding with the elevation, humidity and some wind. Concentrate on breathing through my nose, it helps me. I am a natural mouth breather and also an asthmatic. Mouth breathing results in shallower breaths for me and then the panting starts lol. 

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    I'm enjoying going through this thread and seeing everyone's run stories and encouragement.  Good stuff and uplifting!   Helps get me out the door for runs myself and I'm not dealing with any heat! 
    I had a 4.5 mile recovery run on Tuesday after work. Was 32C here and unusually humid. Calves were a little tender after the 8 mile on the weekend, but loosened up about halfway in (yes I stretched... warmed up a bit). 

4 miles tomorrow morning... still humid here. It’s tough sledding with the elevation, humidity and some wind. Concentrate on breathing through my nose, it helps me. I am a natural mouth breather and also an asthmatic. Mouth breathing results in shallower breaths for me and then the panting starts lol. 

Are you using Miles but Celcius?

I thought Celcius and kilometers (and farenheit and miles) went together like a horse and carriage this i tell you brother you cant have one without the other love and marriage love and marriage
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,698
    I use miles and Celsius.  I haven't  a clue  about km
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -

Are you using Miles but Celcius?

I thought Celcius and kilometers (and farenheit and miles) went together like a horse and carriage this i tell you brother you cant have one without the other love and marriage love and marriage
    I am a metric baby. Canada instituted the metric system in 1974, the year I was born. 
    However, the training program to a half-marathon I found was in miles (13.1) so I just changed the option on Runkeeper. 👍.  

Usually everything in Canada is metric except a person’s weight and height. We still use Imperial system for that. we also stick with Imperial whenever you are doing construction or measuring.... its feet and inches. 

edited July 2020
    I use miles and Celsius.  I haven't  a clue  about km
    I Remember reading that... British drive on the left side of the road and speed limit signs are Imperial. Very interesting. 
    My brother and I visited New Zealand over a decade ago and rented a little car. Loved driving on the left side of the road. After about four days I stopped screwing up on round-abouts. 

Leaving the car-rental area of the Auckland airport is a series of round-abouts. After three of them I had ended up back in the parking lot 😂
    Good times. 
    Damn humidity.  
    I didn't hate carrying that CamelBak handheld deal....didn't like it, either.
    Not sure I needed the hydration on a 9 miler but I didn't cramp up at all and completely sweat through all clothing, so I guess it will be something I try to incorporate on longer runs.
    Damn humidity.  
    Not sure I needed the hydration on a 9 miler but I didn't cramp up at all and completely sweat through all clothing, so I guess it will be something I try to incorporate on longer runs.
    Humidity did suck today and I ran 1/2 what you did - 4.5 miles. So bravo to your 9 miles. I brought my water with me and happily used it. Did you figure out how to get more water out of the bottle?
  • I got my half marathon in today. This route had alot more hills than my normal running routes.  I ended up being 2.5 miles from my car when I got to 13.1 miles (bad planning), so I ran another 1.5 miles and walked the last mile. Much more sore than last time (assuming the hills did that). 

edited August 2020
    Damn humidity.  
    Although the temp was much better here today, humidity was bad as well (90%, looked like it was going to rain my entire run, but it never did). 

I find if I'm not running in the mid day heat, I'm usually fine without hydration if running less than 10 miles. I had a 12oz bottle with me for my run today and feel like that was enough for the 13.1 miles. But I did completely sweat through all my clothes.
    Post edited by NewfieintheUSA on
    You ran at a great pace!
    I am not that fast.  

GG, yes I figured out how to use the bottle better - thanks!
    I got my half marathon in today. This route had alot more hills than my normal running routes.  I ended up being 2.5 miles from my car when I got to 13.1 miles (bad planning), so I ran another 1.5 miles and walked the last mile. Much more sore than last time (assuming the hills did that). 

Congrats. That is awesome. Wow. Great time as well. You must be really fast when the weather is cooler 👏👏
    You ran at a great pace!
    I am not that fast.  

Did you have to bite the tip 😆
  • GlowGirl said:
    You ran at a great pace!
    I am not that fast.  

Never bite the tip, it's a turn off 🤣
  • GlowGirl said:
    I got my half marathon in today. This route had alot more hills than my normal running routes.  I ended up being 2.5 miles from my car when I got to 13.1 miles (bad planning), so I ran another 1.5 miles and walked the last mile. Much more sore than last time (assuming the hills did that). 

Congrats. That is awesome. Wow. Great time as well. You must be really fast when the weather is cooler 👏👏
    Thanks. The flipbelt worked well for me too, but now it's saturated with sweat. 
    GlowGirl said:
    You ran at a great pace!
    I am not that fast.  

Now I need to plead the fifth....
    edited August 2020
    Was golfing at Phil Mickelson’s brand new course west of the city today. After a great approach on the fifth hole I’m walking back to the golf cart on the cart path (weren’t allowed on the fairway on over half the holes) and about 5 feet from the cart is a hole, hidden by thick grass. 
    Stepped in it and it dropped me. Sprained ankle. Finished the round and now I’m home in an ankle brace. 

So pissed off... hope it’s ok tomorrow for a run. So irresponsible of that course to leave a hazard like that for players.   
  • Ran yesterday. But when I looked down on Runkeeper it had stopped after 55 seconds... don't know if it was me or Runkeeper who fucked that up.

So I have nothing to show for it. But I guess it was 4km something. 

I listened to a swedish thing.
  • Much better weather for running this morning, just 55F (13C). I'll take this weather for running all year.