Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Well, 9 in this morning.
    Reward was this fun....

The first 5 miles felt ok.  The last 4 were not awful but the mental part combined with the running out of gas, some.
    It is very different to baby the hell out of my "right wheel".  Every spot where I went on/off the sidewalk, slowed to almost a walk.  Made sure eto change stride, constantly, so that the right foot was coming down flat and not being the lead foot as the running surface went up or down.

Sounds simple but as time went on it was a grind.  Normally the best part of the run are when you kind of drift off on autopilot and find a great stride and a mile or two.  
    This run was without that....if I caught myself starting to lose focus i slowed my steps, shortened stride, and re-focused.

Oh well....good news is the 9 miles was done.  Beers and pool later!

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,889
    Well, 9 in this morning.
    Reward was this fun....

The first 5 miles felt ok.  The last 4 were not awful but the mental part combined with the running out of gas, some.
    It is very different to baby the hell out of my "right wheel".  Every spot where I went on/off the sidewalk, slowed to almost a walk.  Made sure eto change stride, constantly, so that the right foot was coming down flat and not being the lead foot as the running surface went up or down.

Sounds simple but as time went on it was a grind.  Normally the best part of the run are when you kind of drift off on autopilot and find a great stride and a mile or two.  
    This run was without that....if I caught myself starting to lose focus i slowed my steps, shortened stride, and re-focused.

Oh well....good news is the 9 miles was done.  Beers and pool later!

Nice job. Keep healing that ankle. Since my runs are fairly short I rarely get to that zone out place where you are on autopilot. Occasionally I will get lost in some good songs and then snap out of it and realize that I made some progress. Well done on your 9 miles. Enjoy that pool and beers. Both are well deserved. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Thanks!
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,757
    Nice work with the 9 miles! 

I just completed 10 miles myself. This is my furthest run of my life checking my stats. I did three 9 mile runs in the last 5 years but nothing past that. This time I ran with my brother in law and my sister. Luckily they ran 32km's the day before and today was their slow day. If not I would not have been able to keep up. It changes things running with people for sure especially with those that are faster than me. 
  • Options
    Sweet!
    I am meant to do 14 next Saturday but I've got to see how things go.  That would be my furthest run and kick things up a notch.  Wish that I had people I could safely run with.  
    Great work!

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,277
    Has any of you guys run the Leatherman's Loop before?
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    I'd never seen that, looks pretty whacky!

• Options
    Pap said:
    No, but it looks really cool. Might be something to aim for when things are back to normal.

• Options

Tried to run/jog 5km. I think the min/km is off though because I had to walk a bit.

But still. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Great work!

That is your longest, right?
    Keep at it.

There is nothing wrong with that time.

(Btw, walking counts toward the average.  Us mere mortals have to walk, from time to time.  In reading some marathon books as I'm training it sounds like even some established racers believe in short periods of walking, which I hadn't heard before.  Either way, don't worry about time....keep going until you can go the 5k w/o #1 feeling like you are going to have a stroke and #2 stopping for a walk.  Bet it will happen for you sooner than you think)

• Options
    And as I look at my pace this morning for a 4 mile run I was just under that pace, really close to same time.  (If I get the whole km to miles thing....that is averaging 10 minute miles.)
    While not fast, if you were to run in the races I have run you would finish ahead of lots of people.  
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,277
    GlowGirl said:
    Pap said:
    No, but it looks really cool. Might be something to aim for when things are back to normal.

And it's around your neck of the woods... :wink:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    14 miles before 8am on a holiday weekend.  
    My ankle held up ok....didn't start hurting until about mile 8.  :lol:

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,757

Thats awesome! I am battling some stuff right now and have not run since Sunday's 10miler I did. Some of it is laziness lol. Keep up the good work and hope you meet your goal in November. 
  • Options
    Thanks!
    Was 6 mins off my half marathon time from last November....but I didn't have crowds cheering me on and I have a bun ankle so it wasn't too bad.
    The last mile sucked....as it should!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828

Yay you! That’s a great accomplishment, given the circumstances. Hope the ankle holds up and doesn’t give you too much trouble this weekend. 

I see icebaths in your future. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Yay you! That’s a great accomplishment, given the circumstances. Hope the ankle holds up and doesn’t give you too much trouble this weekend. 

Thanks.
    My left foot joined the right one in the ice bath.
  • Options

Thanks.
    My left foot joined the right one in the ice bath.
    Sharing is caring ;) 
  • Options
    Our first 10 mile run complete this morning. Really surprised with the pace to be honest. Felt really good.Felt like I could keep going. 
    I bought some “Feetures” socks yesterday. They are $21 CDN a pair but worth every penny. No blisters! 

• Options
    Thanks!
    Was 6 mins off my half marathon time from last November....but I didn't have crowds cheering me on and I have a bun ankle so it wasn't too bad.
    The last mile sucked....as it should!
    Glad your ankle is holding up bud! 
  • Options
    Thanks!
    Great work on the 10 miler.
    I ordered some more Feetures as well.

• Options
    Great work everyone!

I am on my way to a day of climbing at Sansum Narrows. No running for me today, but the day should be spectacular. 
  • Options
    Anyone watching World's Toughest Race on Amazon?
    Thought of you when they had some very intense climbing to do, Often.

Love the show.  The determination and grit of some people is really inspiring.
  • Options

That is awesome. You are an early bird. Keep healing that ankle. I hope it feels better soon.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Our first 10 mile run complete this morning. Really surprised with the pace to be honest. Felt really good.Felt like I could keep going. 
    I bought some “Feetures” socks yesterday. They are $21 CDN a pair but worth every penny. No blisters! 

Excellent work. Looks like you have a nice loop. Good socks are crucial for sure.

• Options
    Well, I did it! While not as impressive as what some of you ran today, I finally reached my 10K goal. Yay!! The weather for it was great. Low humidity. I did start lagging at around 5.5 miles - but managed to pull out that last little bit. This is the most miles I have run so far.

Then I came home to my Baltimore poster being delivered. Nice reward.
  • Options
    You GlowGirl said:
    Well, I did it! While not as impressive as what some of you ran today, I finally reached my 10K goal. Yay!! The weather for it was great. Low humidity. I did start lagging at around 5.5 miles - but managed to pull out that last little bit. This is the most miles I have run so far.

Great job! You worked hard for that. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

I knew you could do it - congratulations on working with focus and consistency to accomplish a big goal for yourself.

I hope that you find a way to "treat yo-self" and to give yourself a pat on the back.  Great job!
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

Awesome! Congrats 👍
  • Options