Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    First day out - been 11 days since fucking my ankle.
    Sorta gimpy but the time on my first and last mile wasn't too bad.  Will see how I feel later in the day.  Feels ok now after I've done the ice bath.

For sure did not feel normal with the brace on.  

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,889
    edited August 2020
    Sorta gimpy but the time on my first and last mile wasn't too bad.  Will see how I feel later in the day.  Feels ok now after I've done the ice bath.

👍 That is great news that you are back out there. It sounds like you gave your ankle plenty of rest. Hopefully, it will still feel ok as the day progresses. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828

Good news on the run and the times, and the fact that it feels okay afterward.

How long do you use the brace usually?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Thanks 
    Brace was just for run.
    I do think I am going to order a less restrictive one for around the house.

Had to actually use the top "eye" on my shoe to lace it up as much as I could to try and avoid the shoe flying off.  :lol:

• Options
    How has everyone been doing?

Went to the Dr today for my muscle strain, he advised me not to run for 3 more weeks. I'm really itching to get back out there. Guess my 15K race isn't going to happen. 
  • Options
    I did third consecutive day, this morning.  Below where I should be but missing almost two weeks will so that.
    Ankle still isn't right but I'm gonna keep going.  I'm sure if I went to a doctor they would tell me something I don't want to hear.  :lol:

Saturdays are my long runs.  Not sure what I should do there.  Thinking 8 or 9 but could cut back if the ankle doesn't like it.

Sorry to hear you will miss your race, but it is virtual, right?  Perhaps you can do it a bit later?

• Options
    How has everyone been doing?

Went to the Dr today for my muscle strain, he advised me not to run for 3 more weeks. I'm really itching to get back out there. Guess my 15K race isn't going to happen. 
    Sorry to hear that you have to sit out your race. I guess it is better to rest up so you don't prolong it even more. Hopefully, you are back on track soon.

• Options
    I did third consecutive day, this morning.  Below where I should be but missing almost two weeks will so that.
    Ankle still isn't right but I'm gonna keep going.  I'm sure if I went to a doctor they would tell me something I don't want to hear.  :lol:

Saturdays are my long runs.  Not sure what I should do there.  Thinking 8 or 9 but could cut back if the ankle doesn't like it.

Sorry to hear you will miss your race, but it is virtual, right?  Perhaps you can do it a bit later?

Good job. You are getting right back into it. I am sure you will catch up to where you were before soon. Maybe tomorrow start out on your normal run, but listen to your ankle, and don't get frustrated if you need to stop early. Good luck.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:

Good job. You are getting right back into it. I am sure you will catch up to where you were before soon. Maybe tomorrow start out on your normal run, but listen to your ankle, and don't get frustrated if you need to stop early. Good luck.

Today was an off day, one I think I needed.  Ankle wasn't feeling great last night but feels ok this am. Still swollen and bruised but still attached.  ;)
    Tomorrow is long run but we are getting the remnants of the cane tonight and tomorrow all day with thunderstorms so I will likely swap my Sunday routine with Saturday and so the long run on Sunday.
    We'll see.  

• Options

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

Today was an off day, one I think I needed.  Ankle wasn't feeling great last night but feels ok this am. Still swollen and bruised but still attached.  ;)
    Tomorrow is long run but we are getting the remnants of the cane tonight and tomorrow all day with thunderstorms so I will likely swap my Sunday routine with Saturday and so the long run on Sunday.
    We'll see.  

Today is my off day as well. I am also worried about the weather tomorrow. If it is not pouring too bad I would run. But the idea of thunderstorms worry me. I was thinking of going early evening tonight instead of tomorrow. I am going to monitor what weather app says for tomorrow morning and decide later. I’m glad your ankle feels better this morning. Good to rest it today. 
  • Options
    Good job, SC.  Keep at it!

GG, yeah the pisser this summer has been almost every time it rains there is a thunderstorm warning.  Could run the same block over and over so you can go home if it does more than rain but that is kinda boring.  (Especially for long distances!)

Also, could be interesting if the wind is high
      Sometimes running into a strong wind is damn hard work!
  • Options

GG, yeah the pisser this summer has been almost every time it rains there is a thunderstorm warning.  Could run the same block over and over so you can go home if it does more than rain but that is kinda boring.  (Especially for long distances!)

Yeah. I was thinking about running a 2 block square over and over near my apartment just in case. It would be boring, but doable for a 4-5 mile run. I just don't want to run down to the East River and then have it start thundering and lightening. My gym reopens on September 2nd, but I don't think I want to use the treadmill yet with the mask policy. That would really suck. I may go and use the weights since I have been missing that, and think I can keep the mask on ok. They are requiring appointments to go, and keeping it at only 1/3 capacity.

Has anyone else gone back to a gym yet? If so, what has it been like?

• Options
    GlowGirl said:

Yeah. I was thinking about running a 2 block square over and over near my apartment just in case. It would be boring, but doable for a 4-5 mile run. I just don't want to run down to the East River and then have it start thundering and lightening. My gym reopens on September 2nd, but I don't think I want to use the treadmill yet with the mask policy. That would really suck. I may go and use the weights since I have been missing that, and think I can keep the mask on ok. They are requiring appointments to go, and keeping it at only 1/3 capacity.

I've been avoiding the gym still, don't feel like it's the best place to go during a pandemic.

Dr prescribed me an anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxer and my strain feels a lot better today. He told me not to run for 3 weeks, but I'm not good at following directions so I went for a 3.5 mile run today. Can't run at the same speed I was at before, but it felt good to be able to run.
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

I've been back in the climbing gym for months, which is not exactly the same as a regular gym but still has sweaty people working hard ;).

It's actually been good. They are doing a good job with limiting attendance. At first you had to sign up and the number permitted was very low. That was working fine so they then opened up some drop-in spots, in addition to the bookings. Also at first everyone had to wear masks, then they scaled back on that - now there are "mask days" and "mask-optional" days. I typically go on the mask days, and if I'm there on another day I still always wear my mask. It's hot and sweaty with the mask, but still very doable. And it's actually been great with the reduced numbers, since you pretty much have your choice of routes.
  • Options
    Also, got stung by a wasp today while running :weary: .  It was in the last five minutes of my run, but still! The fucking nerve of that thing. I was just minding my own business. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

I've been avoiding the gym still, don't feel like it's the best place to go during a pandemic.

Dr prescribed me an anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxer and my strain feels a lot better today. He told me not to run for 3 weeks, but I'm not good at following directions so I went for a 3.5 mile run today. Can't run at the same speed I was at before, but it felt good to be able to run.
    Ha.  Yeah, that sounds like me....why I didn't go to the doctor.  My wife would have support for the "don't run until it has fully healed" stance.  

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,757
    Also, got stung by a wasp today while running :weary: .  It was in the last five minutes of my run, but still! The fucking nerve of that thing. I was just minding my own business. 
    Ouch! That sucks. I had a horse fly follow me for 3 miles a month ago. Landing on the back of my head every 15 seconds. I was waving at it like a mad man and even hit the back of my head multiple times trying to kill it with no luck. If someone was videoing me I would have looked pretty stupid I bet but I fucking hate those flies. 

Hope you guys with all of the injuries are able to get back to where you were. That is the most frustrating part of running for me. Doing well then getting injured. Then you have to make the decision to fight through it or take time off losing valuable training and gains you previously worked so hard for.

I have a cold the last couple of days but decided to go for a run anyways. To make matters worse my garmin was not picking up the satellite for some annoying reason. I decided to go for a fast 5K and use mapmyrun to measure it. I was blind on my pace which was an odd feeling but I felt fast the first mile. Then my breathing started to hit me hard. At first I thought it was just me not being as in shape as I had thought I was and running too fast with no way to pace myself. I slowed down and it was still bothering me. I ended up getting the worse side stitch I ever had. Almost couldn't even walk with it. I am just hoping it was from my asthma and cold mix and will not be a common theme when I do fast runs. 
  • Options
    Interesting.  
    Perhaps when I get back to feeling strong I will leave my watch at home and note the time when I leave and the time when I get back and see what a 5k looks like "blind"
    Wonder if I'd be slower or faster...

You run like you do w/asthma?  Wow.  Even more impressive!
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

I'm glad the strain feels better. Don't overdo it. I know it is so hard to not run when told to not run. It really is addicting. Stay well.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:

I've been back in the climbing gym for months, which is not exactly the same as a regular gym but still has sweaty people working hard ;).

It's actually been good. They are doing a good job with limiting attendance. At first you had to sign up and the number permitted was very low. That was working fine so they then opened up some drop-in spots, in addition to the bookings. Also at first everyone had to wear masks, then they scaled back on that - now there are "mask days" and "mask-optional" days. I typically go on the mask days, and if I'm there on another day I still always wear my mask. It's hot and sweaty with the mask, but still very doable. And it's actually been great with the reduced numbers, since you pretty much have your choice of routes.
    Thanks for letting me know about your gym. My brother has been going to his for a few months now with masks and limited capacity. He feels ok there. He has not been on the cardio machines since he has a treadmill at his house. I think I would feel ok doing the weight machines - which my workout has sorely been lacking since March. But will stick to running outside as long as possible. I also may wait another month to make sure there is no new outbreak connected to the gym. They are giving us the option to continue to freeze our membership - maybe October would be better. Let them be open for a while and see how it goes before I go back.

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,757
    Interesting.  
    Perhaps when I get back to feeling strong I will leave my watch at home and note the time when I leave and the time when I get back and see what a 5k looks like "blind"
    Wonder if I'd be slower or faster...

You run like you do w/asthma?  Wow.  Even more impressive!
    Asthma has always been in my life but I have mostly outgrown it. I take a puffer a couple of times a year mostly due to allergies or colds. I think on a normal day I would say I am asthma free or to what I think asthma free is if that makes sense. Had a rough childhood with it but thankfully not as an adult. 

It was not a good feeling running blind to be honest. Not for someone that is getting back into it and really no clue what pace he is going by feel. I was on pace to break 21 mins too. That will be for next week now I guess hopefully. The biggest pain was I walked around my neighbourhood trying to pick up a satellite for 20 minutes. Watching that stupid bar not go over 2 while my wife was waiting for me to finish my exercise so she could go to work and I watch the kids was painful. 
  • Options
    I start running anyway when my watch fails to pick up in the first minute.  Luckily, it always comes on sometime in the first mile.
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    Anyone with wide Neanderthal feet here? What shoes do you recommend? I always find the outside edge of my foot just  a tad over the edge of the sole like I am wearing slippers that aren't quite big enough. 
  • Options
    OH, THE HUMIDITY!! 😄

Did 5.3 miles today. It didn’t rain, but damn humid and completely gray and dreary. Next week I am going to try for 5.5 miles. Still inching towards that 6.2. Hope everyone with injuries is healing up. Stay well. 
  • Options
    Anyone with wide Neanderthal feet here? What shoes do you recommend? I always find the outside edge of my foot just  a tad over the edge of the sole like I am wearing slippers that aren't quite big enough. 
    Brooks sells 4e but the 2e expanded after a few runs and they feel good.  I always have to get a wife shoe so if you have caveman feet I might try brooks 4e.
    They have 30 day free trial / free return if you don't like the fit 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    OH, THE HUMIDITY!! 😄

Did 5.3 miles today. It didn’t rain, but damn humid and completely gray and dreary. Next week I am going to try for 5.5 miles. Still inching towards that 6.2. Hope everyone with injuries is healing up. Stay well. 
    Great work!  I'm bummed the weather report wasn't a little better, could have done the run this AM.  Instead I had cocktails and slept in this morning.  :lol:.  (If you call 6 sleeping in.)

Good work.  I know you could do 6.2 now if you decided it was the day.  Adding an extra mile isn't much of you have a burr in your saddle about it.
  • Options
    Brooks sells 4e but the 2e expanded after a few runs and they feel good.  I always have to get a wife shoe so if you have caveman feet I might try brooks 4e.
    They have 30 day free trial / free return if you don't like the fit 
    We’ve talked about this cross dressing before, F Me.  At least let your wife have her own shoes ;) 
  • Options
    Ha!
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    OH, THE HUMIDITY!! 😄

Great work!  I'm bummed the weather report wasn't a little better, could have done the run this AM.  Instead I had cocktails and slept in this morning.  :lol:.  (If you call 6 sleeping in.)

Good work.  I know you could do 6.2 now if you decided it was the day.  Adding an extra mile isn't much of you have a burr in your saddle about it.
    Thanks. I know you are right and I probably could do the 10k right now. But it was way too hot this morning (I know - excuses excuses). But I will get there. Nothing wrong with cocktails and sleeping in. I had planned to sleep in this morning but my cats decided that they could just simply not go another minute without food. When that happens there is no turning back. Relentless little buggers.