Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Our first 10 mile run complete this morning. Really surprised with the pace to be honest. Felt really good.Felt like I could keep going. 
    I bought some “Feetures” socks yesterday. They are $21 CDN a pair but worth every penny. No blisters! 

Excellent work. Looks like you have a nice loop. Good socks are crucial for sure.

Trail is a half-block from our house.  Calgary isn’t Amsterdam... but as the runs get longer you just aim for the next bridge 😎
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,841
    Thanks. You all inspired me with your massive mileages.
  • Options
    :rofl: I love this show.
    Let's all treat ourselves!!!

• Options
    Been running for (just) 3km twice now. But that's life.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Life is what you make it

Keep at it, man, you can do it!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Been running for (just) 3km twice now. But that's life.
    Life comes from within your heart and desire 😎
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,748
    Just ran my longest run ever again. Fun to keep saying that and able to push it further. 11 miles today @ 7:51/mile pace. Took me 1:26:18. Pretty pleased with that. There is a half marathon race in a couple of weeks I could probably run. I would just be trying to survive I think at that pace but I am at least interested. Knowing me I will procrastinate deciding however and it will fill up making my decision for me lol. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Just ran my longest run ever again. Fun to keep saying that and able to push it further. 11 miles today @ 7:51/mile pace. Took me 1:26:18. Pretty pleased with that. There is a half marathon race in a couple of weeks I could probably run. I would just be trying to survive I think at that pace but I am at least interested. Knowing me I will procrastinate deciding however and it will fill up making my decision for me lol. 
    Nice job. You are basically at a 1/2 marathon. Only a couple miles to go. Your time is amazing. I am going to try to run my longest this Saturday. We will see how it goes. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    PJNB said:
    Yeah that is fast - well done.
    I was very proud of a 840 mile I put up this morning....and a minute slower while also being a single mile and not an average over 11.

If you can do 11 you can certainly do another 2.1.
    Do it!
  • Options
    ElEl Posts: 139
    Started to run a few weeks ago. Try to do it every 2nd day. For now 4 km (around 2.5 miles). Will try to add more as time passes and my stamina increases. But its fun! Headphones on and just run with no other disturbances
    Music is what feelings sound like.
  • Options
    El said:
    Started to run a few weeks ago. Try to do it every 2nd day. For now 4 km (around 2.5 miles). Will try to add more as time passes and my stamina increases. But its fun! Headphones on and just run with no other disturbances
       Nice Work! 
  • Options
    On vacation in southern B.C. (Okanagan) this week. Ran 5 miles today. Really notice the lower elevation and could push the pace a little which was surprising after the 10 miler on Saturday. 

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,748
    GlowGirl said:
    PJNB said:
    Nice job. You are basically at a 1/2 marathon. Only a couple miles to go. Your time is amazing. I am going to try to run my longest this Saturday. We will see how it goes. 
    Good luck! I am pretty sore right now. I went for a walk to the playground with the family and my two year old started to run away from me and I really felt it trying to catch up to her. How far are you going?
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    GlowGirl said:
    PJNB said:
    Good luck! I am pretty sore right now. I went for a walk to the playground with the family and my two year old started to run away from me and I really felt it trying to catch up to her. How far are you going?
    Not as far as you did. I just hit 10k for the first time this past weekend. So, will try for a bit more than that coming up. A lot of you guys on here are super long distance runners. I was happy to hit my 10k. I usually average about 4.5- 5 miles 3-4 times during the week. But will try for 6.5 or so this weekend. I’m just running for health. Not really training for anything. You should rest up for the next day or so - especially if you are trying to keep up with a two year old 😁
  • Options
    El said:
    Great!  Let us know if you have any questions.  Your body will thank you as you start to be more comfortable doing it.
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    PJNB said:
    GlowGirl said:
    PJNB said:
    Not as far as you did. I just hit 10k for the first time this past weekend. So, will try for a bit more than that coming up. A lot of you guys on here are super long distance runners. I was happy to hit my 10k. I usually average about 4.5- 5 miles 3-4 times during the week. But will try for 6.5 or so this weekend. I’m just running for health. Not really training for anything. You should rest up for the next day or so - especially if you are trying to keep up with a two year old 😁
    I love that you just hit a big goal and are pushing it.  
  • Options
    Actually one question I do have is if the shoes really matter. 

Right now I am running in some old and worn new balance pair. 

Does it really make a difference in getting some proper running shoes? If yes, what is that difference (as in do you feel it?) and what would you recommend? 
  • Options
    If you are going to start to accumulate miles my opinion is that, yes, shoes will matter.
    Your feet, ankles, calves, and knees all will feel the difference.  
    I'm a Brooks fan but there are a ton of brands.  On the Brooks site you can answer basic questions and get a suggestion from them on what pair you should try.  30 day return if they are bad for you.

• Options
    El said:

Does it really make a difference in getting some proper running shoes? If yes, what is that difference (as in do you feel it?) and what would you recommend? 
    Shoes definitely matter. I learned the hard way. If you are really new to running, if you can, try to go to a running store to get your stride analyzed. What shoes are best for you may depend on if you pronate, supinate, or have a neutral stride when you run. My stride is neutral so the store recommended ASICS and they are awesome. You also may want to switch out the insoles as well for some with arch support and heel support. Finally, if you plan to start putting on some miles good socks can also make a difference. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    El said:

YES the shoes really matter.

If you wear the wrong shoes you can end up with all sorts of injuries that can or could prevent running altogether. 

Go to a running specific store. Not a big box store.
    Get your gait checked.
    Find a brand or 2 that work for you.
    Monitor your mileage.  Shoes don't last forever.

If you can, have multiple pairs and rotate your usage.
    Be aware that brands will tweak their shoes almost annually. Which can greatly effect fit and comfort. So don't  be afraid to try something else.
    I used to be a Nike guy but they kept making changes which didn't  always work for me.

So now my street running shoes are usually Asics, Brooks, and Zoot. For trail I'm strictly LA Sportiva and Salomon.
    Good shoes are not cheap. Do not skimp it can make a big difference. 

Be safe and have fun
  • Options
    El said:

YES the shoes really matter.

If you wear the wrong shoes you can end up with all sorts of injuries that can or could prevent running altogether. 

Go to a running specific store. Not a big box store.
    Get your gait checked.
    Find a brand or 2 that work for you.
    Monitor your mileage.  Shoes don't last forever.

If you can, have multiple pairs and rotate your usage.
    Be aware that brands will tweak their shoes almost annually. Which can greatly effect fit and comfort. So don't  be afraid to try something else.
    I used to be a Nike guy but they kept making changes which didn't  always work for me.

So now my street running shoes are usually Asics, Brooks, and Zoot. For trail I'm strictly LA Sportiva and Salomon.
    Good shoes are not cheap. Do not skimp it can make a big difference. 

Be safe and have fun
    The tweaking of the shoes every year is annoying. I loved the Asics Cloud Nimbus 20s. But I hated the 21s. They were too wide for my somewhat narrow foot. So, I bought up like 4 pairs of the 20s while I could still find them and stored them away until I needed them. I still have one pair left that I haven't used yet. Luckily, I do like the 22s, and are currently wearing them now. I probably should buy a few pairs of those now before they bring out the 23s.

I know a lot of people love Brooks. I haven't tried those yet.

I got a late start on my run this morning which resulted in the second half of my run being too hot. did 4.6 miles. Was aiming for 5, but it was hot and I got to a natural stopping place on my route - so I ended there. I will make sure to start earlier for my next run.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for the info and recommendations! 
  • Options
    Holy shit - return of the humidity.
    Was in the 70s with 97% humidity.  Only a four mile run but it took me about as long to stop sweating as it did to run.
    Got it in before the rain....which is good!
  • Options
    Was in the 70s with 97% humidity.  Only a four mile run but it took me about as long to stop sweating as it did to run.
    Running in the humidity is the worst. It’s good you finished before the rain. It’s raining here as well. Luckily, today is my off day. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Running in the humidity is the worst. It’s good you finished before the rain. It’s raining here as well. Luckily, today is my off day. 

You admitted before to not having run much in the cold, right?
    That is the worst, to me.  And, I prefer cold to hot temps most frequently...but running for a few hours and STILL being cold?  That sucks.
    (What we have to look forward to!  :lol:
    Enjoy the day off.  I don't need to run now until Saturday...but 15 miles. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

You admitted before to not having run much in the cold, right?
    That is the worst, to me.  And, I prefer cold to hot temps most frequently...but running for a few hours and STILL being cold?  That sucks.
    (What we have to look forward to!  :lol:
    Enjoy the day off.  I don't need to run now until Saturday...but 15 miles. 
    Yes. I only started running outside in March when the gyms closed, so haven't run in the freezing cold. I think I will run outside until it hits the 30s. My gym membership starts back up next month. I am only going to go to get back into weight training. I think I can deal with that with a mask. But, will not use the treadmill until I absolutely have to - probably when it gets into the low 30s outside. That might be my cue. I am hoping to run outside until at least December. But we will see.

I have been slowly buying some cold weather running gear. I have recently bought several long sleeve tech shirts and long running leggings. I also just bought a Nike dri-fit hoodie for some layering when needed. I don't have a rain gear running jacket - they are expensive. Not sure how much I would use it. But I still need to get a good hat or headband to cover my ears, and some winter socks. Jack Rabbit sells some merino wool running socks. Might also get some gloves. Am I missing anything?
  • Options
    Merino underwear.
    Good call on the headgear and gloves.  
    I didn't do anything special with socks as the shoes are pretty warm.
    I have a jacket I ordered in amazon that is great.  It isn't too heavy but keeps the wind out.
  • Options
    Merino underwear.
    Good call on the headgear and gloves.  
    I didn't do anything special with socks as the shoes are pretty warm.
    I have a jacket I ordered in amazon that is great.  It isn't too heavy but keeps the wind out.
    Do you suggest a hat or a headband? I wore my regular cashmere winter hat in March and it really got all sweaty. Would a warm headband be better so it doesn't trap all that sweaty heat - or will the top of my head get too cold. What brand jacket do you have for the wind? Is it also rain proof?

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,231
    Cold weather gear (old woman with Raynaud's and no body fat here!). Note that my runs generally are at least an hour. I've run regularly -- daily -- for the past thirteen years, 40-65 miles/week.

-- Smartwool socks -- my feet turn to blocks of ice with standard running socks.
    -- "hot hands" hand warmers
    -- mittens are better than gloves for hand warmth, but BEST, IMO, are the convertible gloves with the top that flips back to reveal partial gloves (so you can grab your lip balm, car keys, whatever)

-- polar fleece tights; I buy from Athleta, but I'm sure other places sell them too. They wick away sweat (so you will look down and wonder why your legs are covered with frost, LOL)
    -- if you plan to run in windy winter conditions (ugh) a windbreaker is key (the wind will suck the heat right out of you, and hypothermia is no fun); you also might want to look for tights with Gore-tex panels. Those are pricy, so make sure you are committed to running in truly sucky weather before buying.
    -- Compression base-layer shirt
    -- I prefer earbands to hats, because I'm female and ponytails are always in the way with hats.
    -- cotton kills; just don't wear it when running (in heat or cold!)

Also, of course, "cold weather" varies by region. The above gear is for the Midwest and Northeast. I'm back in San Diego now, where winter gear is leggings, long-sleeved shirt, and, for me, lightweight gloves. And a vest, if it's damp and I'm heading to the beach.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,231
    Also, if you plan to run in icy conditions (which frankly I DON'T recommend), you will want Yak Trax for your shoes.

Note also that some shoes come in all-weather versions. I've been wearing Brooks shoes for about 25 years. They have some shoes that have Goretex uppers (I've never tried them), others that are "all season" shoes, good for light trail use, snow, rain.

Starting running is easy and requires very little gear, but, like any interest, it can quickly become expensive. Some of those expenses are very worthwhile, IMO. And, yes, good shoes -- the RIGHT shoes -- are key. So is the right running bra, if you're female. :-)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.