Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    Impressive!
    Thanks, man!
  • Options
    Wow! I'm guessing you're otherwise fit and active, unless you just hit the genetic jackpot.

But seeing the overlapping rectangles in that plain block and thinking about the utter boredom that must have entailed is almost painful ;)
    Used to be in a lot better shape. Lol Always been more of a lifter though. Then I kinda let go for about a year and it got even worse after that, when I hopped on my girlfriend's 9-month program called, let's eat everything because you're pregnant. Haha Then I deployed and one day I looked in the mirror, shook my head and and said, "it's time" haha. So at at the time of this run I had been working out twice a day for about 2 months. No genetic jackpots unfortunately. 

Yes. Brutally boring. Nothing to see.  Pearl Jam got me through. Haha
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Never been a runner, never ran more than 5Ks here and there, and that's only because my job requires it. A few weeks ago, I was deployed and we were "quarantined" within a 3-mile fence along a dirt road; not allowed to leave base. Nothing to do within that fence. At all. Out of boredom one day, as I was ending a 12-hr overnight shift wired on Red Bull, I told a co-worker who is a huge runner, I think I have enough in me to run a half marathon. I was just bullshitting. He said, "Dude, you can't just decide to run a half marathon after work. You have to prep for that. Especially... Especially! if you've never done it." That just hit me the wrong way and I pretty much said, watch me. Got off work, ate a light breakfast, let the food settle, and the Red Bull die so I don't get a heart attack running, and I just went for it. Well.. my co-worker was right. Lol I didn't get to 13.1, I was slow as hell, but I've never felt so accomplished after running.

Not to make excuses, but during my run, it went from 75° to 88° and the sun was out. I think even if it was just overcast, I would've made it. 1.6 miles left, I basically just decided there's a difference between being motivated and being stupid, because I started getting light-headed so I stopped and walked the rest (stopped my tracker though to not hurt the average Lol).

Wow. That is great. It is good you listened to your body and stopped. You wouldn't want to pass out.

Haha yea. I wouldn't have been found for a while too, because I was on a dirt road that gets checked maybe every 6 hours. If that. All I can think of so I stopped. Lol
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Socks....I only notice if I use shitty ones which are too tight.  Gave them all away.
    Good ones do feel very nice!

Shoes - Brooks Ghost

Same here. Have wide feet, the selection is rather limited. They are great shoes except for the blisters when I wear saucony socks. My izods cause no problems. Was ready to give up on these shoes until the 9 mile caused zero problems with izod socks 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Did my first 9 mile yesterday. Feel great today. Quickly learning how important the right socks are to avoid blisters. 

Excellent accomplishment!! Congrats :hang_loose:

Thanks GG! 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Socks....I only notice if I use shitty ones which are too tight.  Gave them all away.
    Good ones do feel very nice!

Shoes - Brooks Ghost

Same here. Have wide feet, the selection is rather limited. They are great shoes except for the blisters when I wear saucony socks. My izods cause no problems. Was ready to give up on these shoes until the 9 mile caused zero problems with izod socks 
    Me as well...wear the wide and considered the double wide but they stretched out well after the first few runs and fit well 
    Looking forward to the new Ghosts as she extended some of the padding.  I tried lighter shoes but prefer the Ghost so far.
    👻

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,889
    How is everyone today? It started pouring rain when I was about 3 miles from home. It actually felt great to run in the rain. It was nice and cool. It also got me running faster to get home. Of course, now that I am home, it seems to have stopped for now.

F Me - I hope your ankle is healing up.
  • Options
    Ran for the first time yesterday with a friend. Not superlong, and not super fast and a lot of walking. But worked out pretty nice.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I've been easing off the past while. I get 4000 steps walking to work, so I try to just get 6000 steps out walk/running before I start work in the afternoon.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Ankle still is not ready but it's killing me to not go. 
    Trying to be patient but that isn't really my bag.
  • Options
    Good job running in the rain, GG!
  • Options
    Good job running in the rain, GG!
    Thanks. I have run in drizzle before, but this was my first time in a downpour. I was in a tank top and shorts and did not get cold. I also didn't notice that my socks were soaked until I got home - so it really wasn't horrible. But wouldn't want to do it every day.

• Options
    Since we were talking running gear a few days ago, what type of headphones do you all run with. I am using Jaybird Tarah Pro. I like them since they are rated as being sweat proof and water resistant. I am not a major audiophile so the sound is good for me. You can use the app to set up your own equalizer. They are also really comfy. I used to use Bose Soundsport. I liked them, but had to replace them twice within a year under warranty. The first time they died, and the second time there was massive battery drain. The Jaybirds are way better. More comfortable as well.
  • Options
    Jbl reflect mini2
    I like them ok....haven't had another pair of decent ones to compare.  They don't go quite as loud as I prefer, but that is a good thing....I generally prefer to stop just short of ear shattering.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    GlowGirl said:
    Since we were talking running gear a few days ago, what type of headphones do you all run with. I am using Jaybird Tarah Pro. I like them since they are rated as being sweat proof and water resistant. I am not a major audiophile so the sound is good for me. You can use the app to set up your own equalizer. They are also really comfy. I used to use Bose Soundsport. I liked them, but had to replace them twice within a year under warranty. The first time they died, and the second time there was massive battery drain. The Jaybirds are way better. More comfortable as well.
    I have shitty low grade earbuds but really want to upgrade. Every time I look into it I find that there is some fatal flaw with every pair that otherwise seems good, so I just never go ahead and order anything. No joke, I have seriously looked at earbuds, prepared to purchase, at least six times and every time I give up and then go another few weeks until my shitty ones drive me crazy again. 

The Jaybirds were a contender in one of my searches. Perhaps I should just go ahead and get them. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    For how much you will use them, sorta worth throwing $99 at it.
    (Just eat half as much fancy cheese next week.  :lol:)
  • Options
    For how much you will use them, sorta worth throwing $99 at it.
    (Just eat half as much fancy cheese next week.  :lol:)

If I have to choose, cheese wins every time. 
  • Options
    I don’t run with music. I prefer to be aware of my surroundings. 
    The trails we jog on are really busy with lots of bikes and pedestrians... I just feel safer being able to hear the bike bells or vocal warnings. 

In the mornings when they are less busy and you just hear the birds it is peaceful and serene. 
  • Options
    I can dig that - the neighborhoods I run through a very quiet.  Need some good tunes.
  • Options
    Just made myself a nice cheese tray.

Thanks for the suggestion, F Me :lol: 
  • Options
    Thumbs up!
  • Options
    My morning run seemed so promising to start - foggy and 14oC meant it was nice and cool, and I was feeling good for the first couple of kilometres. Then disaster struck. Pain in the back of my right thigh, radiating down my leg, into my knee and down to my shin. I kept hoping that it would ease off but it really never did. I managed to finish the run but it was slow and it sucked. 

The description sounds like sciatica but I've never had trouble with it before so it seems odd it would just strike like that without any back strain. I think it's probably a hamstring strain. When I got home I did some stretching and both hamstrings are tight, the right much more so. 

On the bright side, the pain isn't that bad when I'm just walking around. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,964
    Sounds like sciatica 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Oh, I am sorry to hear that.  Stretching sounds like a great idea and if you have never had sciatica we will cross fingers for you on that one!

• Options
    I don’t think it’s sciatica. I ran some diagnostics on myself and it seems more like a hamstring issue. Lucky me! 
  • Options
    Hope you are feeling better @oftenreading

Today I ran 5.2 miles. I am inching my way towards my 10k goal 1/10 of a mile at a time. Someday, I will get there 😊
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

Today I ran 5.2 miles. I am inching my way towards my 10k goal 1/10 of a mile at a time. Someday, I will get there 😊
    I bet you will as you seem to do a lot of running.  Go @GlowGirl!!!
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

Saturday is my longer bike ride day. I had a two hour ride, shorter than usual both for time constraints and to make sure I didn’t further strain the muscles, and it went fine. Just a little tight at times but stretching the warmed up muscles when I got home was good. Tomorrow I’m going climbing so fingers crossed for that as I need my muscles working. 

Inching toward a goal is still progress, and that’s all that counts!
  • Options
    I walked with a friend yesterday to check out where her new apartment is located etc. So was out walking for 2 hours. Maybe I jog tonight. Otherwise that will have to do for this weekend. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options