The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    What would it be like if Mike Bloomberg actually won?
    Image result for stop and frisk

Two sides to every story.

What’s the city like after he left?

It’s the Wild West in Penn Station.

The vagrant whose alleged threats got a homeless outreach nonprofit to flee the transit hub in fear last weekend was holding court — and spewing hate at cops — there Thursday.

Eugene Watts was spotted sipping a brown-bag beer in the station one day after The Post reported that embattled nonprofit Bowery Residents Committee up and abandoned its satellite office there because he allegedly threatened to shoot workers.

Watts, who claims to be a former boxer, remained defiant Thursday.

“Mr. Eugene Watts, you have five minutes to leave,” one of two passing Amtrak cops on patrol at the busy transit hub was heard telling Watts on Thursday. “There is a warrant out for your arrest.”

Watts fired back: “Kiss my black ass. I’d rather go to jail. I can get an apartment.”

The cops simply walked on.

The tasteless tableau was one scene in a chaotic day at the terminal.

On Wednesday, The Post revealed that taxpayer-funded BRC — which was slammed by the state comptroller last year for only dedicating 26 percent of its time to actual outreach — had been “indefinitely” closed because Watts allegedly threatened on Saturday to “come back with a gun and shoot you.”

Watts, who denied the gun threat, was among the more than two dozen homeless people back at the station Thursday — many of whom had to be dealt with by police because BRC’s offices were closed and its workers scarce.

BRC is under contract with Amtrak to run the outreach office to help the dozens of homeless people who frequent Penn Station on a regular basis.

A union representing thousands of New York City police sergeants said Sunday that its members will go to "war" with Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) after a police officer was shot in what the mayor has called an assassination attempt.

The Sergeant's Benevolent Association (SBA) tweeted Sunday that the mayor was not welcome to visit wounded officers in the hospital, and added that the officers had no "respect" for the Democratic mayor.

"Mayor DeBlasio, the members of the NYPD are declaring war on you! We do not respect you, DO NOT visit us in hospitals. You sold the NYPD to the vile creatures, the 1% who hate cops but vote for you. NYPD cops have been assassinated because of you. This isn’t over, Game on!" the union's Twitter account posted.

"Police are being targeted.The anti cop tone infecting our city & state is causing bloodshed. Before any public official sends their thoughts & prayers, they should ask themselves how the language & behavior they've been tolerating has contributed to violence against police," read another tweet from the union's account.

Someone I follow already put it better than I can: "Police unions aren’t unions because police aren’t workers."

Interesting but wasn’t the point. All de blaze did was soften stop and frisk. And we are heading back into the seventies in NY. Insurrection ain’t fun. 

The lucky msg ticket holders from outta town might be in for a teeny tiny post Bloomberg surprise on the 30th. Ed too. Will give even flow more passion.
    The last 1/3 of your post was basically direct quotes from the police union.....
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    The fact is violent crime has been on a steady decline for 60 years in the US on the whole and in most major cities, New York included. The crazy thing is no one has been able to figure out what to attribute it to. At least any specific policy or action. Which is to say there is no rigorous evidence to justify placating jittery suburbanites by ripping up the Fourth Amendment rights of minorities.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    pjl44 said:
    The fact is violent crime has been on a steady decline for 60 years in the US on the whole and in most major cities, New York included. The crazy thing is no one has been able to figure out what to attribute it to. At least any specific policy or action. Which is to say there is no rigorous evidence to justify placating jittery suburbanites by ripping up the Fourth Amendment rights of minorities.
    Not to be brutal,  but if you read Freakanomics,  it basically attributes the decline to Roe v Wade... fewer neglected,  unwanted children.  It's a controversial theory,  to be sure. 
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Not to be brutal,  but if you read Freakanomics,  it basically attributes the decline to Roe v Wade... fewer neglected,  unwanted children.  It's a controversial theory,  to be sure. 
    I remember that! Didn't they also show a correlation with cities that hired more cops? Not any policies or anything just more cops, less crime?
    edited February 2020
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    I remember that! Didn't they also show a correlation with cities that hired more cops? Not any policies or anything just more cops, less crime?
    Yes I think you're right,  but the abortion connection is the one that really stuck with me.  You could probably add to that just generally more available birth control. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    We’ve become a soulless nation. But you forgot homosexuality. The rise of Mayor Pete, really. So, if you’re headed to MSG, skip Penn Station and the fires of hell and arrive at the Port Authority. Way more color too. Less heat.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©

• Twitter is suspending 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts, citing ‘platform manipulation’

Michael R. Bloomberg’s presidential campaign has been experimenting with novel tactics to cultivate an online following, or at least the appearance of one.

But one of the strategies — deploying a large number of Twitter accounts to push out identical messages — has backfired. On Friday, Twitter began suspending 70 accounts posting pro-Bloomberg content in a pattern that violates company rules.

“We have taken enforcement action on a group of accounts for violating our rules against platform manipulation and spam,” a Twitter spokesman said. Some of the suspensions will be permanent, while in other cases account owners will have to verify they have control of their accounts.

https://www.latimes.com/business/technology/story/2020-02-21/twitter-suspends-bloomberg-accounts

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

The vagrant whose alleged threats got a homeless outreach nonprofit to flee the transit hub in fear last weekend was holding court — and spewing hate at cops — there Thursday.

Eugene Watts was spotted sipping a brown-bag beer in the station one day after The Post reported that embattled nonprofit Bowery Residents Committee up and abandoned its satellite office there because he allegedly threatened to shoot workers.

“Mr. Eugene Watts, you have five minutes to leave,” one of two passing Amtrak cops on patrol at the busy transit hub was heard telling Watts on Thursday. “There is a warrant out for your arrest.”

Watts fired back: “Kiss my black ass. I’d rather go to jail. I can get an apartment.”

On Wednesday, The Post revealed that taxpayer-funded BRC — which was slammed by the state comptroller last year for only dedicating 26 percent of its time to actual outreach — had been “indefinitely” closed because Watts allegedly threatened on Saturday to “come back with a gun and shoot you.”

Watts, who denied the gun threat, was among the more than two dozen homeless people back at the station Thursday — many of whom had to be dealt with by police because BRC’s offices were closed and its workers scarce.

BRC is under contract with Amtrak to run the outreach office to help the dozens of homeless people who frequent Penn Station on a regular basis.

A union representing thousands of New York City police sergeants said Sunday that its members will go to "war" with Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) after a police officer was shot in what the mayor has called an assassination attempt.

The Sergeant's Benevolent Association (SBA) tweeted Sunday that the mayor was not welcome to visit wounded officers in the hospital, and added that the officers had no "respect" for the Democratic mayor.

"Mayor DeBlasio, the members of the NYPD are declaring war on you! We do not respect you, DO NOT visit us in hospitals. You sold the NYPD to the vile creatures, the 1% who hate cops but vote for you. NYPD cops have been assassinated because of you. This isn’t over, Game on!" the union's Twitter account posted.

"Police are being targeted.The anti cop tone infecting our city & state is causing bloodshed. Before any public official sends their thoughts & prayers, they should ask themselves how the language & behavior they've been tolerating has contributed to violence against police," read another tweet from the union's account.

Someone I follow already put it better than I can: "Police unions aren’t unions because police aren’t workers."

Interesting but wasn’t the point. All de blaze did was soften stop and frisk. And we are heading back into the seventies in NY. Insurrection ain’t fun. 

The lucky msg ticket holders from outta town might be in for a teeny tiny post Bloomberg surprise on the 30th. Ed too. Will give even flow more passion.
    The last 1/3 of your post was basically direct quotes from the police union.....

ecd pjl and Hal...

My point is there are two sides to the stop and frisk story. Please stop confusing  my attempt to balance the presentation here with support for what NYPD is doing. The point is NY politics is a challenging balancing act and the taxpayers/commuters suffer. On both sides.
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

ecd pjl and Hal...

My point is there are two sides to the stop and frisk story. Please stop confusing  my attempt to balance the presentation here with support for what NYPD is doing. The point is NY politics is a challenging balancing act and the taxpayers/commuters suffer. On both sides.
    So now the police are shaking down the white folks? Is that how you're suffering?
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

ecd pjl and Hal...

It sounds to me like you want to have it both ways. What is the other side to the stop and frisk story in your view?
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Yes I think you're right,  but the abortion connection is the one that really stuck with me.  You could probably add to that just generally more available birth control. 
    It's fascinating. Has anyone else really touched that?

ATM throwing me into the Bloomberg camp. What the heck, might as well. 

What I don’t want is an outsider with roughly 25% support to claim the nomination due to more moderate candidates splitting the vote. Trump successfully did this last election, but the huge difference is he went for base republican values, which sanders never does with democrats.

the more I think of this, unfortunately two of the top four moderates need to withdraw before super tuesday. Ron Brownstein just made some good points in smerconish,

Democrats Went After the Wrong Guy

Bernie Sanders is the front-runner. But his opponents still aren’t treating him like one.

February 20, 2020

LAS VEGAS—Faced with signs that Bernie Sanders is consolidating his position as the clear front-runner in the Democratic race, the presidential candidates last night chose to focus most of their fire instead at the new guy onstage: Michael Bloomberg.

The withering criticism, especially that from Elizabeth Warren, left Bloomberg visibly staggered at times and reflected an undeniable imperative for his opponents’ campaigns: His unprecedented TV-advertising blitz across the states voting in March threatens to catapult him past all of them as the principal alternative to the Vermont senator, who has taken a solid lead in the latest national polls. But the consistent focus on Bloomberg, especially during the debate’s highly contentious first hour, meant that Sanders was let relatively off the hook.

Indeed, it’s difficult to imagine anything that unfolded on the debate stage will impede Sanders’s march toward an expected victory in Saturday’s caucus here—where Bloomberg won’t even be on the ballot. Appearing on MSNBC after the debate, Joe Biden declared that “Bernie’s going to get vetted in a way he never has been before.” That moment may be coming, but it certainly didn’t arrive last night.

Compared with earlier debates, Sanders did face more questions about his agenda and record from both his rivals and the moderators. Between them, they introduced arguments against Sanders’s candidacy that may resonate more loudly down the road, in particular when they questioned whether his calls for a “political revolution” can build a winning coalition against President Donald Trump.

What I don’t want is an outsider with roughly 25% support to claim the nomination due to more moderate candidates splitting the vote. Trump successfully did this last election, but the huge difference is he went for base republican values, which sanders never does with democrats.

the more I think of this, unfortunately two of the top four moderates need to withdraw before super tuesday. Ron Brownstein just made some good points in smerconish,

Bernie Sanders is the front-runner. But his opponents still aren’t treating him like one.

February 20, 2020

LAS VEGAS—Faced with signs that Bernie Sanders is consolidating his position as the clear front-runner in the Democratic race, the presidential candidates last night chose to focus most of their fire instead at the new guy onstage: Michael Bloomberg.

The withering criticism, especially that from Elizabeth Warren, left Bloomberg visibly staggered at times and reflected an undeniable imperative for his opponents’ campaigns: His unprecedented TV-advertising blitz across the states voting in March threatens to catapult him past all of them as the principal alternative to the Vermont senator, who has taken a solid lead in the latest national polls. But the consistent focus on Bloomberg, especially during the debate’s highly contentious first hour, meant that Sanders was let relatively off the hook.

Indeed, it’s difficult to imagine anything that unfolded on the debate stage will impede Sanders’s march toward an expected victory in Saturday’s caucus here—where Bloomberg won’t even be on the ballot. Appearing on MSNBC after the debate, Joe Biden declared that “Bernie’s going to get vetted in a way he never has been before.” That moment may be coming, but it certainly didn’t arrive last night.

Compared with earlier debates, Sanders did face more questions about his agenda and record from both his rivals and the moderators. Between them, they introduced arguments against Sanders’s candidacy that may resonate more loudly down the road, in particular when they questioned whether his calls for a “political revolution” can build a winning coalition against President Donald Trump.

That post you just made about the upcoming Apollo show in Harlem tells me all I need to know about what camp you're in
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

ecd pjl and Hal...

So now the police are shaking down the white folks? Is that how you're suffering?

When the mayor takes on the police the police fight back. I don’t support that, but it’s true.

When police refuse to police the subways and penn station, not only does the city become dirtier and grimier, it becomes more dangerous. 
    pjl44 said:

February 20, 2020

That post you just made about the upcoming Apollo show in Harlem tells me all I need to know about what camp you're in

Should I join the complaining to the mods? Please stop lying.
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

ecd pjl and Hal...

It sounds to me like you want to have it both ways. What is the other side to the stop and frisk story in your view?

The mayor is being attacked for comments captured from private conversations with police to help boost their morale. The balancing is when you don’t support the police you get the current situation with deblasio. The police are starting to refuse to enforce laws in Penn and the subways.

one need not support a policy like SAF to know their are two sides to the story
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Maybe you'd like to clarify what sort of surprise ticket holders and Ed might be in for then?
    pjl44 said:

February 20, 2020

Should I join the complaining to the mods? Please stop lying.
    Shit...apologies...did misread your post about the venue. Same question stands for MSG, though.
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

ecd pjl and Hal...

The mayor is being attacked for comments captured from private conversations with police to help boost their morale. The balancing is when you don’t support the police you get the current situation with deblasio. The police are starting to refuse to enforce laws in Penn and the subways.

I’m not well versed on Bloomberg, but you are pointing to the delicate balancing act of a mayor.  It’s much different to administer a city govt and being one of a hundred senators.  The pull between the police union and activists is very difficult to navigate and someone is always criticizing.  
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    It's fascinating. Has anyone else really touched that?
    Not that I’ve seen but I also don’t religiously read social economic theory. The beauty of freak was how they came up with some outside the box correlated data that no one had thought of.  I think many researchers are afraid to explore some of it.
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

ecd pjl and Hal...

When the mayor takes on the police the police fight back. I don’t support that, but it’s true.

When police refuse to police the subways and penn station, not only does the city become dirtier and grimier, it becomes more dangerous. 
    Cool, so you having to deal with a "grimier" city (whatever the fuck that means) is the downside of reducing the harassment of people of color? Remind me again what the problem is?
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Super Delegates are Bernie's krypto.  I'm assuming his opponents know the fix is in, which is why they don't bother too much with attacking him.  
    Via the NYPD themselves, felony offenses have continued to consistently fall from 2000-2019

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/stats/crime-statistics/historical.page
    pjl44 said:
    Via the NYPD themselves, felony offenses have continued to consistently fall from 2000-2019

But lerxst has to see homeless people!!
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

ecd pjl and Hal...

I’m not well versed on Bloomberg, but you are pointing to the delicate balancing act of a mayor.  It’s much different to administer a city govt and being one of a hundred senators.  The pull between the police union and activists is very difficult to navigate and someone is always criticizing.  

Thank you. 

not only is it a balancing act, it’s a balancing act in perhaps the most diverse city in the world. Both demographically and economically.

instead of trying to understand the balancing act, let’s just put everyone’s views into our predetermined buckets. Thanks AMT.

does anyone find it ironic, that the two candidates with the least in common, MB & PB, are under very similar attack, because they both had to deal with this balancing as chief executive of a city.
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

ecd pjl and Hal...

Thank you. 

not only is it a balancing act, it’s a balancing act in perhaps the most diverse city in the world. Both demographically and economically.

instead of trying to understand the balancing act, let’s just put everyone’s views into our predetermined buckets. Thanks AMT.

does anyone find it ironic, that the two candidates with the least in common, MB & PB, are under very similar attack, because they both had to deal with this balancing as chief executive of a city.
     :o 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2020
    Lol. They are being under attack for treating minorities like shit (among other things). Not that they had to do any balancing. 

Talk about skewing the truth to fit ones narrative. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    Jason P said:
    Super Delegates are Bernie's krypto.  I'm assuming his opponents know the fix is in, which is why they don't bother too much with attacking him.  
    That and I can understand the frustration with a rich guy coming in late and the the possibility that the Dem strategy was gonna be to push him through (using said superdelegates).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    edited February 2020
    ecdanc said:
    pjl44 said:

But lerxst has to see homeless people!!

When a homeless person lives in a subway car, that suffering individual will be the only person in that car. The police are starting to refuse to enter the subway, so that train must be taken out of service to to deal with the disenfranchised. This has an impact as to how the city operates. Four million people need to commute on Manhattan island on a typical workday.  Just the commuters. That’s four times the total population of the majority of cities on the Gigaton tour. Within 20 square miles 

I support increasing spending to help the disenfranchised by billions. But taking on the police has consequences. By citing felony offenses only are you saying the broken window theory is completely false?
This discussion has been closed.