Options

The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,840
    A very important conclusion from the Times..

"The losses in Michigan and Missouri were especially ominous for Mr. Sanders, because they suggested his strength among rural Midwestern voters in 2016 largely owed to their opposition to Mrs. Clinton. Against Mr. Biden, Mr. Sanders was trounced across the countryside of both states and saw working-class white voters, a pillar of his campaign four years ago, shift markedly away from him."
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,185
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

"Joe Biden told a factory worker 'you're full of sh--' during a tense argument over guns"

Go get em Joe. Make all the gop liars eat sh--!

He still has the fighting spirit, I'll give him that. But he still called it an AR-14 instead of an AR-15. I know, simple gaffe that doesn't hurt anyone. But lord, he makes a gaffe every few hours. 
    Biden is a gaffe.  His dementia is showing.
    Why would it be dementia?

To me it sounds like regular old-age senile and/or stress. Not dementia like my grandmother had.
    Senile sounds about right.
    Right on cue.

https://apple.news/AKBS48fM5TmKZw9Jq-JDKOA
    I don’t think it’s just a party line. That man is losing it. He really is. It’s sad watching him try to talk sometimes. A day or two ago he said he wants to bring us back to the “Obiden/Bama” years. And we all misspeak like that from time to time. But it’s everyday (every few hours really) with Joe. I think it’s perfectly reasonable for the GOP or Fox News to harp on this. 
    Losing it how? Like asking why we can’t nuke a hurricane? Or drawing his own map of a hurricane’s path and presenting it as fact? Or losing it like tossing paper towels to hurricane survivors? Or losing it by stating that Putin on the ritz told him Russia didn’t interfere in our elections so it must be true? Or losing it by watching a couple of prostitutes peeing on a bed?
    Hahahaha, GREAT argument for Biden, dude. He hasn't lost it as much as Donald Trump. Talk about a low bar. 
    You said he “was losing it.” I’m asking you to define “losing it.” There’s a scale of what apparently is acceptable to you and others around here so I want to know what is it specifically that Sleepy “Woke” Joe has said or done that illustrates for you that “he’s losing it.” He referred to an AR15 as an AR14? Oh my god lock him up but let’s give that nuking a hurricane a try? Never been done before and you don’t know until you try.

Comparing Biden to Team Trump Treason is a great argument for Biden to anyone living in reality. Talk about how far some have fallen.
    Come on, man. Get Trump off your mind for the first time in years, and just judge Joe on his own. He can't even remember Obama's name! Watch....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRtWGRgR5Aw

Ummmmm, who’s the repub nominee likely to be in 2020? Given the choice I think it’s going to be, Sleepy “Woke” Joe is the better choice. Nor has he “lost it” like you’d like to claim but even if he does or did “lose it,” he’d be the better choice.
    So you refuse to just judge Joe on his own as I asked. Typical. In a vaccum, independent of Trump and everything else, just look at the guy. It's sad to watch. ("SADDER THAN TEAM TRUMP TREASON WATCHING PUTIN ON THE RITZ PEE ON A HOOKER!?!?!") No, independent of Trump, just judging Joe being Joe, it's sad to watch. 

I mean, like you, I'll vote for him for president over Trump. Hey, if nothing else, he'll be another president that makes George W. Bush look not-so-dumb by comparison. 

Biden is the most qualified presidential candidate to run since Hillary
    Thank you. Establishment doesn’t see that in their fervor to destroy Bernie they are running another most qualified candidate to beat Trump. I mean just look at the polling data worked in 16.  The way I see it is Biden beats Bernie in the primaries but Biden doesn’t have a chance against Trump. i Hope I am wrong but it seems the DNC wants to make the same mistakes but justify themselves through every step this time around
    There's no data that supports that conclusion.  Turnout surged in the states that Biden won.  He won in the suburbs, he won with the black community, middle age.  He crushed with women and ran even with white men. The demographics support the results.  It wasn't the "establishment", it was the Democratic voters. 
    I'm still nervous about Joe because well he is creepy and sometimes incoherent.  But he seems to be getting the voters that hillary didn't and which cost her the election.  So it looks ok?  For now????  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,802
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

"Joe Biden told a factory worker 'you're full of sh--' during a tense argument over guns"

He still has the fighting spirit, I'll give him that. But he still called it an AR-14 instead of an AR-15. I know, simple gaffe that doesn't hurt anyone. But lord, he makes a gaffe every few hours. 

To me it sounds like regular old-age senile and/or stress. Not dementia like my grandmother had.
    Right on cue.

I don’t think it’s just a party line. That man is losing it. He really is. It’s sad watching him try to talk sometimes. A day or two ago he said he wants to bring us back to the “Obiden/Bama” years. And we all misspeak like that from time to time. But it’s everyday (every few hours really) with Joe. I think it’s perfectly reasonable for the GOP or Fox News to harp on this. 
    Losing it how? Like asking why we can’t nuke a hurricane? Or drawing his own map of a hurricane’s path and presenting it as fact? Or losing it like tossing paper towels to hurricane survivors? Or losing it by stating that Putin on the ritz told him Russia didn’t interfere in our elections so it must be true? Or losing it by watching a couple of prostitutes peeing on a bed?
    Hahahaha, GREAT argument for Biden, dude. He hasn't lost it as much as Donald Trump. Talk about a low bar. 
    You said he “was losing it.” I’m asking you to define “losing it.” There’s a scale of what apparently is acceptable to you and others around here so I want to know what is it specifically that Sleepy “Woke” Joe has said or done that illustrates for you that “he’s losing it.” He referred to an AR15 as an AR14? Oh my god lock him up but let’s give that nuking a hurricane a try? Never been done before and you don’t know until you try.

Comparing Biden to Team Trump Treason is a great argument for Biden to anyone living in reality. Talk about how far some have fallen.
    Come on, man. Get Trump off your mind for the first time in years, and just judge Joe on his own. He can't even remember Obama's name! Watch....

Ummmmm, who’s the repub nominee likely to be in 2020? Given the choice I think it’s going to be, Sleepy “Woke” Joe is the better choice. Nor has he “lost it” like you’d like to claim but even if he does or did “lose it,” he’d be the better choice.
    So you refuse to just judge Joe on his own as I asked. Typical. In a vaccum, independent of Trump and everything else, just look at the guy. It's sad to watch. ("SADDER THAN TEAM TRUMP TREASON WATCHING PUTIN ON THE RITZ PEE ON A HOOKER!?!?!") No, independent of Trump, just judging Joe being Joe, it's sad to watch. 

I mean, like you, I'll vote for him for president over Trump. Hey, if nothing else, he'll be another president that makes George W. Bush look not-so-dumb by comparison. 

Thank you. Establishment doesn’t see that in their fervor to destroy Bernie they are running another most qualified candidate to beat Trump. I mean just look at the polling data worked in 16.  The way I see it is Biden beats Bernie in the primaries but Biden doesn’t have a chance against Trump. i Hope I am wrong but it seems the DNC wants to make the same mistakes but justify themselves through every step this time around
    There's no data that supports that conclusion.  Turnout surged in the states that Biden won.  He won in the suburbs, he won with the black community, middle age.  He crushed with women and ran even with white men. The demographics support the results.  It wasn't the "establishment", it was the Democratic voters. 
    I'm still nervous about Joe because well he is creepy and sometimes incoherent.  
    you misspelled trump
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 19,001
    Biden isn't creepy and Barack Obama wasn't a boogieman. We see people as we want to and then we react to them as we want to. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Right on cue.

you misspelled trump
    No I didnt.  Cause trump is creepy and always incoherent.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    Biden isn't creepy and Barack Obama wasn't a boogieman. We see people as we want to and then we react to them as we want to. 
    What the hell does obama have to do with any of this? And Biden is a creepy dude for sure.  Just not as creepy as trump
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I don't think you can underestimate how poorly HIllary did with white men.  Sanders dominated that vote in the primary and Trump in the general.  Biden has flipped that switch.  It's sexist in my opinion, but I can't change that.  The fact of the matter is that Biden's negatives are better than Hillary, Sanders and Trump.  That's important.  
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    What the hell does obama have to do with any of this? And Biden is a creepy dude for sure.  Just not as creepy as trump
    Not saying you think Obama was a boogieman. He just represents a clear example of people seeing what they want to and reacting accordingly. Biden is old and his communication skills might be slipping. But to call him creepy is a projection. It's just not there. 

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,305
    mrussel1 said:
    I don't think you can underestimate how poorly HIllary did with white men.  Sanders dominated that vote in the primary and Trump in the general.  Biden has flipped that switch.  It's sexist in my opinion, but I can't change that.  The fact of the matter is that Biden's negatives are better than Hillary, Sanders and Trump.  That's important.  
    How do you feel about Biden stating outright that he would only be a one term president? I personally think there is a lot of upside there.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    How do you feel about Biden stating outright that he would only be a one term president? I personally think there is a lot of upside there.
    I think it's the practical reality of the situation.  My guess is they will be polling that question or concerns about his age and let that inform the decision.  I confess to not knowing what the right strategy is here.  But I think he should only do one term. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I think it's the practical reality of the situation.  My guess is they will be polling that question or concerns about his age and let that inform the decision.  I confess to not knowing what the right strategy is here.  But I think he should only do one term. 
    Is there another case in American history of a candidate doing this? 

I don't know if it's the smart thing do do either, but it could also be brilliant for all I know.
  • Options
    Announcing he would only serve one term would have Democrats soft launching campaigns to be next on Day 1. 

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,610
    JimmyV said:
    Announcing he would only serve one term would have Democrats soft launching campaigns to be next on Day 1. 
    Bernie would be first. Haha.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Right on cue.

you misspelled trump
    Clip clop?
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    Bernie would be first. Haha.
    This is true.

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    What's wrong with that? 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    JimmyV said:
    What's wrong with that? 
    Maybe nothing, but I am in the camp that this all takes too long already. And that said, just because Democrats might do that doesn't necessarily mean Biden shouldn't make a one-term pledge. It's just a likely side effect that instantly came to mind. 

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    dignin said:
    JimmyV said:
    What's wrong with that? 
    Maybe nothing, but I am in the camp that this all takes too long already. And that said, just because Democrats might do that doesn't necessarily mean Biden shouldn't make a one-term pledge. It's just a likely side effect that instantly came to mind. 
    No doubt, neverending elections in the US are a pain in the ass.
    Im of the opinion to do whatever it takes to win in November and deal with the fallout after that. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,461
    Isn't pledging one term acknowledging your fragility? If he isn't up to a 2024 run, why not make that decision then? Doesn't all that run counter to the notion that he is perfectly fine mentally and physically?
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Isn't pledging one term acknowledging your fragility? If he isn't up to a 2024 run, why not make that decision then? Doesn't all that run counter to the notion that he is perfectly fine mentally and physically?
    With a strong VP, and knowing that people vote for Biden to "bring back normal" and not because they are heads over heels. Maybe it could be a strength with a two person team...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dignin said:
    JimmyV said:
    dignin said:
    JimmyV said:
    What's wrong with that? 
    No doubt, neverending elections in the US are a pain in the ass.
    Im of the opinion to do whatever it takes to win in November and deal with the fallout after that. 
    I can't argue that strategy. Whatever it takes. 

• Options
    pjl44 said:
    With a strong VP, and knowing that people vote for Biden to "bring back normal" and not because they are heads over heels. Maybe it could be a strength with a two person team...
    Everyone is bringing up good points, pro and con.  That's why Jimmy is right, it's a complicated question and uncharted territory.  I don't recall any president who ever made such a pledge.  
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    But I think he can do all that anyway without a one term pledge
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Agreed.  A pledge like this would be self-defeating.  Even if it's made after winning the election it would make Biden essentially lame duck.  

Biden can acknowledge the health concerns by running a VP who would be immediately qualified to take the Presidency if anything were to happen coughamycough Then Biden can wait until 2024 to announce he's stepping aside and endorsing Amy/Pete.  
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    But I think he can do all that anyway without a one term pledge
    yeah I guess. 

And I doubt anyone would campaign on the promise of just one term. Even if Biden and his team are set on one term being realistic.

And everybody who thinks that Biden is a bit slower than before (perhaps a bit 77 year old senile) will take the VP into account anyways. 

BIDEN/BERNIE 2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Agreed.  A pledge like this would be self-defeating.  Even if it's made after winning the election it would make Biden essentially lame duck.  

Biden can acknowledge the health concerns by running a VP who would be immediately qualified to take the Presidency if anything were to happen coughamycough Then Biden can wait until 2024 to announce he's stepping aside and endorsing Amy/Pete.  
    Yeah, right, let the voters connect those dots if they must
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Possibly, and good points.

I think running as a one term would possibly satisfy the more progressive Democrats and even moderate on the fence Republicans. Knowing they will be back and start with a fresh slate in 4 years.

There is upside there. Is it enough to weigh out the cons though.

• Options
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    Possibly, and good points.

I think running as a one term would possibly satisfy the more progressive Democrats and even moderate on the fence Republicans. Knowing they will be back and start with a fresh slate in 4 years.

There is upside there. Is it enough to weigh out the cons though.

Biden would have to announce it after the first year in office though, to give his fellow Democrats appropriate time to ramp up the modern day campaign machine.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,242
    Sanders 1pm presser from VT

Better be to endorse biden.
This discussion has been closed.