A safe place for anxiety sufferers to share.

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I wonder if writing a letter to your mom might help?  You articulate yourself pretty well in words; perhaps you could do the same with her.  Plus it allows her to digest it all in silence, at her pace, think about it, etc.  It may change nothing, but making the effort could do wonders for your self-esteem.

And speaking of others bringing you down, don't let one or two assholes here (or anywhere) make you feel unworthy.  To me, it says a lot about the character of someone who would deal a mean blow under the guise of "help".

Try not to overwhelm yourself with what-ifs.  Just one breath, one step, at a time.

You can do it.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    hedonist said:
    I wonder if writing a letter to your mom might help?  You articulate yourself pretty well in words; perhaps you could do the same with her.  Plus it allows her to digest it all in silence, at her pace, think about it, etc.  It may change nothing, but making the effort could do wonders for your self-esteem.

And speaking of others bringing you down, don't let one or two assholes here (or anywhere) make you feel unworthy.  To me, it says a lot about the character of someone who would deal a mean blow under the guise of "help".

Try not to overwhelm yourself with what-ifs.  Just one breath, one step, at a time.

You can do it.
    excellent suggestion, hedo. I have found this works well in all avenues. My wife recently wrote a letter to me about concerns she had about our relationship, and it allowed me to digest it without the immediacy of a conversation where things can quickly spiral into anger and defensiveness. 

I highly recommend her suggestion. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited October 2019
    I've always been forthright about my mental health (in classrooms, work environments, at home, out with friends/family), and it has only been helpful. It relieves the heavy burden of anxiety that manifests itself when it feels like I'm hiding an essential part of who I am.  

I even mentioned my old therapist (jocularly) in a job interview once, and I got the damn job!

Having said that, it has only come up naturally. If it doesn't come up naturally, I wouldn't feel like I'm hiding anything if I didn't bring it up. I mean, if I just brought it up out of the blue, that would just make me seem crazy. :lol:
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    dankind said:
    I've always been forthright about my mental health (in classrooms, work environments, at home, out with friends/family), and it has only been helpful. It relieves the heavy burden of anxiety that manifests itself when it feels like I'm hiding an essential part of who I am.  

I even mentioned my old therapist (jocularly) in a job interview once, and I got the damn job!

Having said that, it has only come up naturally. If it doesn't come up naturally, I wouldn't feel like I'm hiding anything if I didn't bring it up. I mean, if I just brought it up out of the blue, that would just make me seem crazy. :lol:
    Seem? :wink::kiss:

I believe in honesty. I believe if you lead with, "Hi, my name is T_A and I am currently enjoying the benefits of a better psych drug," that may be a bit TMI for that moment. I agree with Dankind that roll with it if it comes up naturally. "You know, the character in that movie was so incredibly anxious. My heart goes out to them. I truly understand their struggle." My guess? That honesty will be appreciated. The door has been cracked open for the date to comment, ask... I feel that if they want to know more in that moment, they will open that door more. If not, it isn't saying that they don't want to know, but are respecting the courage it took to mention it and may discuss it further (bit by bit) in time. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    hedonist said:

You can do it.
    I would if she knew how to read English. And I cannot express myself how I would in her native language.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Is she italian by chance. My partners family are blunt and rude and racist. They are italian. 
    I wrote  a letter once on the advice of a councillor.  To my dad. And the idea is to write it wether its sent or not. In my case i did not send it . But it cleansed me a fair bit. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Croatian.
    Maybe I might try that. I actually started one years ago to my family.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    rgambs isn't back yet. :( 
    I believe it is generally a 2 week minimum. It's not a permaban.  He'll be back.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    deadendp said:
    I believe it is generally a 2 week minimum. It's not a permaban.  He'll be back.
    mine were a week each. first one they forgot about me. had to email them.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    deadendp said:
    Ahh. I am wrong. Sorry about that. Maybe that's why he isn't back. 
    deadendp said:
    mickeyrat said:
    deadendp said:
    or he is using his time off here incredibly well......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    deadendp said:
    mickeyrat said:
    deadendp said:
    or he is using his time off here incredibly well......
    Probably. He goes hiking and shit...
  • He grows his own food also and its cropping time so he may be canning toms. Either way wrongful  ban in my eyes. We must protect eachother. And will do the same with hindsight i didnt act because i want to not shoot from the hip as i would  in life. On here its just so easy to implode at the ignorance i encounter  to all subjects really.  
    No human should  be little anothers pain. Ever 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Exactly Rob.
    The 'lazy' comment was the most hurtful. Little does he know I am trying my best.
    Anyways, rgambs, if you're reading I send you my love.
    edited October 2019
    rgambs, quit enjoying yourself and email the mods, so you can get your a$$ back on here! :)
  • Im not sure what the word for it is but im getting in a zone where i no longer care about anything  much. Not sure if its dangerous or not but i do feel like ive reached a point of resignation or defeat. 
    I guess i will find out
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Are you on medication? Some antidepressants can have that effect.
    It could be a sense of learned helplessness creeping in as you have been unable to escape from the anxiety.
    I am in a Facebook support group for people with mental health issues and someone posted that they are dealing with health anxiety, so know you are not alone Rob, have you tried searching for a Facebook support group for people with health anxiety specifically?
    If I don't reply it's because I have to go bed, getting late and need to be up early. Take care bud.
    edited October 2019
    Deleted.
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
    My anxiety really went through the roof during a lecture when a girl I met last week walked in. I am still anxious.
    Girls make me anxious to the point I feel sick.
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    I think for most of my life I've dealt with depression/anxiety issues.  It wasn't until last year, that I started taking medication and seeing a therapist regularly for it and it's helped keep me much more balanced emotionally.  I still feel overwhelmed several times during the day, which tends to stop me in my tracks on what I'm doing.  A large reason of my current sadness are events that have occurred over the past year and a half, however I believe the support has helped me deal with it as well as I could have.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Im not sure what the word for it is but im getting in a zone where i no longer care about anything  much. Not sure if its dangerous or not but i do feel like ive reached a point of resignation or defeat. 
    I guess i will find out
    Hope you're doing just a bit better today (tonight?).
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    I think for most of my life I've dealt with depression/anxiety issues.  It wasn't until last year, that I started taking medication and seeing a therapist regularly for it and it's helped keep me much more balanced emotionally.  I still feel overwhelmed several times during the day, which tends to stop me in my tracks on what I'm doing.  A large reason of my current sadness are events that have occurred over the past year and a half, however I believe the support has helped me deal with it as well as I could have.
    Im glad that you went to a therapist & they,  with medication, have helped.  Feeling overwhelmed is a biggie for me too,  & life can effect how often it happens. 

Im sorry you've had a difficult time over the past year or so. Difficult experiences seem to happen in clusters (completely un- scientific observation). 

I hope you feel more & more benefit from therapy/ meds. It's a journey that is always better when you are able to talk to people & not feel alone. :hug:

edited October 2019
    Feeling a bit down this afternoon after feeling good this morning. No idea why.
    I was working on a song in the morning until early afternoon, then spent 30 minutes on my bike and now feel low.
  • hedonist said:
    Im not sure what the word for it is but im getting in a zone where i no longer care about anything  much. Not sure if its dangerous or not but i do feel like ive reached a point of resignation or defeat. 
    I guess i will find out
    Hope you're doing just a bit better today (tonight?).
    Thank you
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    njnancy said:
    Im glad that you went to a therapist & they,  with medication, have helped.  Feeling overwhelmed is a biggie for me too,  & life can effect how often it happens. 

Im sorry you've had a difficult time over the past year or so. Difficult experiences seem to happen in clusters (completely un- scientific observation). 

I hope you feel more & more benefit from therapy/ meds. It's a journey that is always better when you are able to talk to people & not feel alone. :hug:

Thank you for this.  I'm trying to be more open about it.  Talk about this has helped.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
    rgambs said:
    Post deleted. Please see the Posting Guidelines

and he's out of time out.....

mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    Post deleted. Please see the Posting Guidelines

and he's out of time out.....
    Awesome news!
    @rgambs
    Free at last! Free at last! How does it feel man? 

@rgambs
    Free at last! Free at last! How does it feel man? 

has yet to log on since his last post and the ban hammer.