The Golf Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I am playing this place by my parents house tomorrow. They call themselves the Augusta of the North. It's a really nice looking course:

https://www.baywoodgreens.com/golf
    Looks sweet.  This paragraph is hilarious.  Sounds like Trump wrote it.

Described as the "Augusta of the North,” Baywood Greens is by far the most visually spectacular golf course in Delaware.  Honored with the #1 ranking by Golf Digest's Best in State ranking for 2011-2012 and deemed one of the 50 best courses for women by Golf Magazine for Women, Baywood Greens is a fantastic course for anyone from beginner to pro.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    I am playing this place by my parents house tomorrow. They call themselves the Augusta of the North. It's a really nice looking course:

Described as the "Augusta of the North,” Baywood Greens is by far the most visually spectacular golf course in Delaware.  Honored with the #1 ranking by Golf Digest's Best in State ranking for 2011-2012 and deemed one of the 50 best courses for women by Golf Magazine for Women, Baywood Greens is a fantastic course for anyone from beginner to pro.

Ha....yeah, I know. It's a beautiful course though. 70 and sunny down there Thursday. Can't wait
    chinese-happy.jpg

Ha....yeah, I know. It's a beautiful course though. 70 and sunny down there Thursday. Can't wait
    Not a bad Thursday, indeed.  Enjoy. 

I gotta get out still. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    First round tomorrow. Couple range sessions so far. Late start this year...had f’n snow on the ground in Chicago yesterday. 
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Got my first tournament this Monday.  It's a coaches tournament 4 man scramble.  I'm the head golf coach at my high school that I teach at  and all of the coaches in our district get together every year do the tournament to raise funds for extra curricular activities. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited April 2019
    Well my back has been bothering me the last 5 months.  Played a few rounds over that time period and the golf motion didn’t really bother it.  Well, on the fifth tee I hit a great drive and that was it for my back and shoulder.   I was able to get a six iron 150 yards to the front of the green and par it but that was it.  A little concerned.  Will be heading to the chiropractor.  
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Shot 40-35 for a nice 75. Hit 11/12 fairways, 11/18 greens (8 of 9 on the back so that's how different the two 9's were haha), and 31 putts. 
    edited April 2019
    bflynn1 said:
    Shot 40-35 for a nice 75. Hit 11/12 fairways, 11/18 greens (8 of 9 on the back so that's how different the two 9's were haha), and 31 putts. 
    You, sir, can go directly to hell.

Just kidding. Hell of a round. I am super jealous. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    bflynn1 said:

Haha, thank you. Seriously though, I've busted my ass over the last 2 years to get to this level of consistency and confidence in my game. Also, it's so insane when you finally realize what it really takes to shoot par or better. I feel like I'm doing a great job of minimizing my mistakes and limiting the damage when I do make a mistake, but I'm still not shooting par... That's the difference between me missing the green and getting up and down for bogey, and the pros/top level amateurs getting in for par or even chipping in for birdie. 
    bflynn1 said:
    bflynn1 said:

Haha, thank you. Seriously though, I've busted my ass over the last 2 years to get to this level of consistency and confidence in my game. Also, it's so insane when you finally realize what it really takes to shoot par or better. I feel like I'm doing a great job of minimizing my mistakes and limiting the damage when I do make a mistake, but I'm still not shooting par... That's the difference between me missing the green and getting up and down for bogey, and the pros/top level amateurs getting in for par or even chipping in for birdie. 
    Only two years? So what were you typically shooting prior to getting to this point? How long have you been playing?

chinese-happy.jpg
    edited April 2019
    bflynn1 said:
    bflynn1 said:

Only two years? So what were you typically shooting prior to getting to this point? How long have you been playing?

I've been playing for 20 years (31 years old now). I only played casually as I was growing up because I focused on baseball and football mainly. Wish I could go back and just focus on golf.

Anyway, of course when I first started I was terrible and didn't understand the importance of being able to play all three facets of the game well (off the tee, hitting the green in regulation, and short game). And of course we all know the power of the mental game on top of all that. I'd get pissed at bad shots and let stuff like that ruin my whole round.

Then about 5 years ago I decided I wanted to play tournament golf because I missed the competition of the team sports I'd played. So I joined an amateur tour and it's flighted so you're playing against people that are in your handicap range. When I first started on the tour I had my share of high scores (90s and even 100s). Tournament golf is just a whole other animal. Completely different than a weekend round with your buddies. As the last 5 years have passed by I've gotten better. 5 years ago I was a 15ish handicap when I'd play with my friends and a 20 handicap when I'd be in tournaments. It's at least a 7-10 shot difference in score when you add in tournament pressure.

Now to where I was 2 years ago. I'd gotten down to a 13 handicap and decided that I wanted to see how good I could really get. I'm not married and I don't have any kids so I can practice and play any time I want. So I did an assessment of my game and realized two big issues that were holding me back, 1. Not hitting enough greens, and 2. When I did miss the green I was costing myself strokes by not being able to get up and down for par or at the very worst bogey. So I focused my range time on chipping, pitching, and putting and when I would hit a bucket of balls I wouldn't just work on ball contact, I would also work on accuracy.

All that to say, 2 years ago I was a 13 handicap and now as of yesterday's mid month handicap update I'm a 2.8 handicap. It dropped so fast once I started posting better scores because each good score was negating my old bad scores. I think handicap looks at your most recent and/or best 20 rounds. Back when I finally got good enough to just enjoy casual golf with my friends I was shooting mid to upper 80s with the occasional low 80s score on a good day and even some low to mid 90s scores on bad days to now shooting in the 70s pretty much every time I go out since I decided to really dedicate the time and effort to get better. My worst score so far this year out of about 12 rounds is an 82. The rest were in the 70s. 
    Post edited by bflynn1 on
    bflynn1 said:
    bflynn1 said:
    bflynn1 said:

I've been playing for 20 years (31 years old now). I only played casually as I was growing up because I focused on baseball and football mainly. Wish I could go back and just focus on golf.

Anyway, of course when I first started I was terrible and didn't understand the importance of being able to play all three facets of the game well (off the tee, hitting the green in regulation, and short game). And of course we all know the power of the mental game on top of all that. I'd get pissed at bad shots and let stuff like that ruin my whole round.

Then about 5 years ago I decided I wanted to play tournament golf because I missed the competition of the team sports I'd played. So I joined an amateur tour and it's flighted so you're playing against people that are in your handicap range. When I first started on the tour I had my share of high scores (90s and even 100s). Tournament golf is just a whole other animal. Completely different than a weekend round with your buddies. As the last 5 years have passed by I've gotten better. 5 years ago I was a 15ish handicap when I'd play with my friends and a 20 handicap when I'd be in tournaments. It's at least a 7-10 shot difference in score when you add in tournament pressure.

Now to where I was 2 years ago. I'd gotten down to a 13 handicap and decided that I wanted to see how good I could really get. I'm not married and I don't have any kids so I can practice and play any time I want. So I did an assessment of my game and realized two big issues that were holding me back, 1. Not hitting enough greens, and 2. When I did miss the green I was costing myself strokes by not being able to get up and down for par or at the very worst bogey. So I focused my range time on chipping, pitching, and putting and when I would hit a bucket of balls I wouldn't just work on ball contact, I would also work on accuracy.

All that to say, 2 years ago I was a 13 handicap and now as of yesterday's mid month handicap update I'm a 2.8 handicap. It dropped so fast once I started posting better scores because each good score was negating my old bad scores. I think handicap looks at your most recent and/or best 20 rounds. Back when I finally got good enough to just enjoy casual golf with my friends I was shooting mid to upper 80s with the occasional low 80s score on a good day and even some low to mid 90s scores on bad days to now shooting in the 70s pretty much every time I go out since I decided to really dedicate the time and effort to get better. My worst score so far this year out of about 12 rounds is an 82. The rest were in the 70s. 
    Getting good at golf is being at the range and greens a whole lot more than playing rounds, as you have seen.  As with every sport, practice 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    yo, bitches.

fuck motherfucking tiger fucking woods.

glad y’all can root for a garbage person.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    15 majors.  5th major after spine fusion surgery and he wins.

Post spine fusion surgery and post 40 year old Tiger is tied without Jason Day, Dustin Johnson and Justin Rose in majors won.  
    I assume you think he’s a garbage person because he’s a womanizer. I hate to break the news, but a lot of athletes fit that description...a LOT!  
    Wobbie said:
    yo, bitches.

chinese-happy.jpg
    ^ 😂 Perfect! 
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Wobbie said:
    yo, bitches.

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Ordered myself some new irons last night.  Titleist 718 AP1's.  My current irons are almost 12 years old so I was long overdue for an upgrade.  Should arrive next week!

JojoRice said:
    Ordered myself some new irons last night.  Titleist 718 AP1's.  My current irons are almost 12 years old so I was long overdue for an upgrade.  Should arrive next week!

That would be the only gift I would be excited for at this point.  Enjoy!
    Congrats on the new irons. I'm still gaming these butter knives.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I have some hand-me-down knock-off Chinese fake Taylormade hybrids that I can hit further and more consistent then any genuine Taylormade hybrid I have purchased or played with since.  I had them in storage for 3 years since I was convinced my new genuine should be better but took them out this spring and they are going back in the bag. 
    bflynn1 said:
    Sweet setup man. Those irons are killer. That driving iron is a monster. I just changed up the bag this year. Loving the driver. Still dialing in the irons.

bflynn1 said:
    Some big boy clubs right there!  Nice!  

edited April 2019
    At this point, I couldn’t hit those if my life depended on it haha

Those mizunos are pretty tasty though 
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    bflynn1 said:
    I'll never be good enough to hit blades. Nice clubs!  I'm still hitting my Cleveland TA 3's from 2002.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    At this point, I couldn’t hit those if my life depended on it haha

Those mizunos are pretty tasty though 
    I love Mizuno. Not good enough to play blades. I played the MP 54 for the last 6 years or so. I’m playing less these days, so went for a bit more forgiveness with these. Awesome clubs, buttery soft and they still have a slimmer profile at address, which is what I like. Win, win. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Wobbie said:
    yo, bitches.

GOAT.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14