The Golf Thread

FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Surprised to see this topic doesn't have it's own thread.

How many golfers do we have out in Pearl Jam land?

What are your favorite courses to play? Anybody ever play the greats (St. Andrews, Pebble Beach, Augusta, Winged Foot)?
"FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    i worked at a golf club for 6 years(chef)....never got into the game..more of a hacker..

http://www.theclubcompany.com/clubs/Chartham-Park/

it was a good course
    Looks nice! I've always wanted to come to your side of the pond to play the courses. My only problem is everything is measured in meters!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I'm a golfer.

Some of my favorites/more famous places I've played are:

We Ko Pa
    Grayhawk, Raptor (hole in one on hole #13 back in '07!)
    Harbour Town Golf Links
    TPC Scottsdale

(Heck, most of the courses we play in AZ on vacation every year are amazing: Troon North, The Boulders, Dove Valley, The Phoenician, Gold Canyon, etc)

I also golf in MA, CT and VT a lot (live in MA). Some great courses around here!
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    That's awesome BinFrog. What time do you play when you go out to AZ? It must be 110 degrees by noon!

Didn't realize you were from Mass. We should talk.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,242
    BinFrog wrote:
    I'm a golfer.

Some of my favorites/more famous places I've played are:

We Ko Pa
    Grayhawk, Raptor (hole in one on hole #13 back in '07!)
    Harbour Town Golf Links
    TPC Scottsdale

(Heck, most of the courses we play in AZ on vacation every year are amazing: Troon North, The Boulders, Dove Valley, The Phoenician, Gold Canyon, etc)

I also golf in MA, CT and VT a lot (live in MA). Some great courses around here!

I've played most of those. Haven't played Wekopa yet...
    I'm waiting for summer so I can actually afford to play again.
    They really jack up the rates when the damn snowbirds come into town! :D

Golf here in AZ is incredible. You can easily play in the summer, but you really got to get out early. I played Stone Creek last year in the middle of the day when it was 113! Not recommended! :lol:
  • kevinbeetlekevinbeetle Posts: 358
    i work on an army base and we have a great course here. drive by it every day when i go to my office. joined the club this year and only costs me $2 to play 18. i try to get out at least once a week when im not traveling. i also play in our golf league.

havent played any of the famous courses. just one trip to myrtle beach and a ton of immaculate courses in south jersey.
    I've heard South Jersey has great golf. Pine Valley is the big one down there, correct?
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i'm about a 20 as i don't play regularly anymore ... the only course i played that someone might know is torrey pines but it's a relatively cheap municipal course ...
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Don't play as much as i can but i have played some nice gold courses in Canada. like Glen abby, The rock. I also played in a golf course in S. Korea which was really great. don't remember the name but man was it amazing.
    fife wrote:
    I also played in a golf course in S. Korea which was really great. don't remember the name but man was it amazing.
    Any pics? What was golf in S.Korea like? How was it different from courses in N.America?

Also, if anyone else has pics of great courses they've played, feel free to do so.
    That's awesome BinFrog. What time do you play when you go out to AZ? It must be 110 degrees by noon!

Didn't realize you were from Mass. We should talk.

I go out to AZ in late March/early April and it's usually mid 80's and sunny every day. We miss the hot season by a few weeks!
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    fife wrote:
    I also played in a golf course in S. Korea which was really great. don't remember the name but man was it amazing.
    Any pics? What was golf in S.Korea like? How was it different from courses in N.America?

Also, if anyone else has pics of great courses they've played, feel free to do so.

I do have pictures that i can try to upload here. I just found that the golf course was just different in the sense that every hole was like a postcards.
  • kevinbeetlekevinbeetle Posts: 358
    I've heard South Jersey has great golf. Pine Valley is the big one down there, correct?
    pine valley is in south jersey, but unfortunately it is impossible to get on. extremely exclusive, and ranked #1 in the world

some places ive played down by atlantic city

http://www.blueheronpines.com/
    http://www.seaviewgolf.com/index.php
    http://www.harborpines.com/

some nice courses in north jersey i like playing

http://panthervalleyclub.com/
    http://www.crystalgolfresort.com/
    http://www.thearchitectsclub.com/2007/index.php

places i need to play

http://www.libertynationalgc.com/ <
    this
    http://www.trumpnationalbedminster.com/
    http://www.njngolfclub.com/
    fife wrote:
    I do have pictures that i can try to upload here. I just found that the golf course was just different in the sense that every hole was like a postcards.
    Nice!
    My buddy played here and said it's awesome. Sadly, nobody I've ever met has played Pine Valley.
    Anybody ever caddy in their youth? I did for 6 years and it taught me the game and life's invaluable lessons as well.
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    I used to play quite a bit but I really don't play anymore. After I did a number on the back and got laid off it didn't really make sense. As far as courses go, I have been to Scottsdale (did not play-saw the Tourney held there) and I know a guy that played the Stadium Course at Sawgrass. He shot a 108 from the tips. I asked him if it was as tight as it looks on TV and he said it was tighter. :o:o:o

Now if your talking Tiger Woods Golf on the Wii, I have played all the famous courses. :lol:
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,348
    I miniature golf, on occasion.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Anyone else?
  • I golf and am from MA too. I'm not very good (shoot 105-115), only been playing a couple years and completely revamped my swing this season (so far so good). I haven't played any exclusive courses, but like Ponkapoag (Canton) and George Wright (Hyde Park) alot and play both frequently.

I can't wait to get out of work and sneak in a quick 9 @ Ponkie tonight.
    I golf and am from MA too. I'm not very good (shoot 105-115), only been playing a couple years and completely revamped my swing this season (so far so good). I haven't played any exclusive courses, but like Ponkapoag (Canton) and George Wright (Hyde Park) alot and play both frequently.

Nice. Good to see we got some Masshole Pearl Jam golfers out there....Haven't played Ponkapoag, but I used to play George Wright a whole bunch back in the 90's. I just played Newton Commonwealth for the first time the other day. Not bad. Very inexpensive.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I golf and am from MA too. I'm not very good (shoot 105-115), only been playing a couple years and completely revamped my swing this season (so far so good). I haven't played any exclusive courses, but like Ponkapoag (Canton) and George Wright (Hyde Park) alot and play both frequently.

Hey, that is right down the street from where I am sitting at this very moment...
    augusta%20national.jpg
    My favorite golf hole in the entire world. #13 Azalea at Augusta National. This was the hole Phil hit the miraculous 5iron from the pine straw at this year's Masters.

Does it get any better than this?
    I'm waiting to hear from a British golfer out there in Pearl Jam land that has played the Old Course at St. Andrews...anyone?
  • I golf and am from MA too. I'm not very good (shoot 105-115), only been playing a couple years and completely revamped my swing this season (so far so good). I haven't played any exclusive courses, but like Ponkapoag (Canton) and George Wright (Hyde Park) alot and play both frequently.

Hey, that is right down the street from where I am sitting at this very moment...

You golf? Twilight rate starts @ 6.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,348
    I'm waiting to hear from a British golfer out there in Pearl Jam land that has played the Old Course at St. Andrews...anyone?

I've been to the course but didn't play. Yanks who were teeing off or finishing were pumped..... you could tell.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378

I'm a hack who likes trash talking on the course. It seems to be frowned upon though.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,242
    augusta%20national.jpg
    My favorite golf hole in the entire world. #13 Azalea at Augusta National. This was the hole Phil hit the miraculous 5iron from the pine straw at this year's Masters.

Does it get any better than this?

Oh man, I would love to have the opportunity to play Augusta some day!!

I'm pretty sure I'd shoot at least 100 though and they'd put me on some sort of "banned/black list". :lol:

And about 10-15 mins from my house :)

I ate lunch in the clubhouse...does that count?
  • Hey, that is right down the street from where I am sitting at this very moment...

I'm a hack who likes trash talking on the course. It seems to be frowned upon though.

huh, I must've missed the memo. :oops:

We eneded up calling an audible and played Brook Meadow (also in Canton) last night. Wiked nice course with a good twilight rate.