The Food Thread

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2019
    I ate the best pasta I've ever eaten in my whole life this weekend, at this Italian restaurant called Marcello's (Commercial Drive, Vancouver). I could hardly believe how good it was (I had the Spaghetti Pollo Piccante). And I didn't have the pizza, but saw it on other people's tables, and it looked so amazing, cooked in a Neapolitan style wood-burning oven. I now feel obsessed with the place.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    PJ_Soul said:
    I ate the best pasta I've ever eaten in my whole life this weekend, at this Italian restaurant called Marcello's (Commercial Drive, Vancouver). I could hardly believe how good it was (I had the Spaghetti Pollo Piccante). And I didn't have the pizza, but saw it on other people's tables, and it looked so amazing, cooked in a Neapolitan style wood-burning oven. I now feel obsessed with the place.
    Nothing like diving into a plate of pasta that is wonderful. 
    Looked at pictures from that place based on a google search.  Now I want to eat at 9:40 AM.  (I don't eat breakfast)  Looks banging.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    For you, F me

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Oh that is fucking beautiful!
    Santa Barbara?
    Santa Barbara?
    I don’t know that much about uni and don’t remember what the menu said. It was at that ginza place I posted about a while back. Solid spot. Spotty service. We fucking ate. Apps, sushi and ramen. 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    For you, F me

Damn!
    Great presentation as well. Love the way they served it all on top of the shell.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    That Uni looks delicious.  Not a fan of Shiso though.
    My wife always eats the shisu from my plate
      I like how it smells more than how it tastes, but she loves it.
    For my money, Santa Barbara uni is the best.  Spoiled by having it in CA all of the time and then when we moved east it became more rare.  Color tends to be brighter, which is why I guessed that might be SB uni.
    Looks banging either way 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    That looks disgusting to me. Like chewed & spit out food or a fresh, stepped on dog turd.  It could taste amazing but I don't know if I could get past the look to try it.
    That looks disgusting to me. Like chewed & spit out food or a fresh, stepped on dog turd.  It could taste amazing but I don't know if I could get past the look to try it.
    Yep. I tried it once and literally gagged. I don't even remember wtf it tasted like, and it really didn't matter. I just can't chew and swallow something with a texture like that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    For you, F me

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I thank FSM that y'all do not lust after this sushi delicacy the way some of us do...damn, then it would be 5 times more expensive.
    Cliffy could tell you how much those two pieces of Sea Urchin Gonads cost...but you would really freak.
    I love sushi but yeah, the uni is all yours.  I'm sure it wasn't cheap, but I'd rather think of all the pizza pies I could eat instead.
    I love sushi but yeah, the uni is all yours.  I'm sure it wasn't cheap, but I'd rather think of all the pizza pies I could eat instead.
    I gotcha.  Depending on the place you could get a bunch of pies for those 2 servings.  Lots of people have tried with me and many did not like, at all. 
    I gotcha.  Depending on the place you could get a bunch of pies for those 2 servings.  Lots of people have tried with me and many did not like, at all. 
    So what is the actual taste & texture like?  I'm reading all kinds of things, often the negatives have rebuttals such as "you had rotten uni."
    So what is the actual taste & texture like?  I'm reading all kinds of things, often the negatives have rebuttals such as "you had rotten uni."
    It is different, no two ways about it.  Stuff tastes like gold to me so I am not the person to ask.
    It is cold...and more firm than it looks.  I do understand why many do not like it.
    Bad Uni smells fucked up and is mushy/dull in color.  I would spit it out if somehow I could not tell by sight.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    If you're skeptical about eating it as sushi, it's also fantastic in pasta. It's very popular in southern Italy- dish is called Ricci de mare. You cook some garlic, white wine and urchin, and toss it with pasta and parsley. It's fantastic. It's an easier introduction than going all out Japanese style.
    eddiec said:
    If you're skeptical about eating it as sushi, it's also fantastic in pasta. It's very popular in southern Italy- dish is called Ricci de mare. You cook some garlic, white wine and urchin, and toss it with pasta and parsley. It's fantastic. It's an easier introduction than going all out Japanese style.
    Interesting. I’d be more likely to give that a try before going all in on the sushi route. At the very least, if I didn’t like it, I’d have a bowl of pasta to finish.
    Chicken wings tonight.  Baked, not fried.
    Delicious and quite spicy for the 6 I doused in a sauce.  (Hot sauce + butter)
    Or... So that it could 'help people' I could call these cauliflower bulbs with hot pepper and sweet potato puree. 
    Nah.  I calls it like I sees it.  
    Fucking chicken wings!

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    this was one of the most amazing sandwiches I have ever eaten....chorizo and ham, provolone, beer tomato broth with a sunny egg on top. homemade chips on the side.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    For you, F me

my dogs are having stomach issues....their poops are looking like that.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Hilarious how differently we can see..
    I see beauty with the urchin....but your plate looks like some sort of aborted nightmare, Wobbie.
    Bet it tasted great, though.  Breakfast should taste great and not worry about how it looks 
    Hilarious how differently we can see..
    I see beauty with the urchin....but your plate looks like some sort of aborted nightmare, Wobbie.
    Bet it tasted great, though.  Breakfast should taste great and not worry about how it looks 

that was dinner....see the beer? I don’t USUALLY drink beer with breakfast.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Ahhhh.
    Beer with breakfast is underrated.
    edited March 2019
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    A delicious job!
    Ahhhh.
    Beer with breakfast is underrated.
    A nice creamy stout or smoky porter with breakfast is top notch!
    Wobbie said:
    this was one of the most amazing sandwiches I have ever eaten....chorizo and ham, provolone, beer tomato broth with a sunny egg on top. homemade chips on the side.

That looks great!
    This thread escalated quickly! I like uni, not my favorite thing in the world and I definitely don’t know as much about it as f me, but I dig it. My wife, not so much