Kaepernick

Comments

• benjs said:
    Somebody explain how this kneeling stuff isn't about social and racial injustices anymore.
    http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/news/jerry-jones-cowboys-will-not-play-if-they-disrespect-flag/ar-AAt8NQn?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp

Please read my previous response to you very carefully. A reporter asking who a kneeling citizen voted for accomplished exactly zero, and neither confirms nor denies the intent of their protests. It would be better to ask why the players are kneeling (which has been done), and the answer is always the same: to protest social and racial injustices.

I talking about now since Trump has weighed in on the issue.  

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    I actually do see Trump as the main issue.  And you know what?  I have no beef with it.  He stepped way out of the scope of his office (not to mention took his eye off of the priorities) to score more points with his base.  I think "fuck you" is an appropriate response because this is none of his damn business.  And I think they've taken on a responsibility not to succumb to forced patriotism.  The teams, however are starting to cave.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    edited October 2017
    @HesCalledDyer -- you should know better than that by now!  You try to present logic, in the face of contrarian jackhole trolls playing internet games....what are you thinking?!  ;)
    Anyone who doesn't see this Pence thing yesterday as the political stunt that it was is blind.  Anyone who is a fan of Pearl Jam and posting here about it in response to your posts is just trying to bait you and cause some argument. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Somebody explain how this kneeling stuff isn't about social and racial injustices anymore.
    http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/news/jerry-jones-cowboys-will-not-play-if-they-disrespect-flag/ar-AAt8NQn?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp

Jerry Jones was the most obnoxious 'showtime' protester two weeks back when all the teams demonstrated against Trump.

Playing for the cameras, he preened like a peacock arm in arm with the players he pays. "Look at me, everybody. I'm protesting. Get ready camera guy... over here... over here... this is where I'll be. Ready aaaand... yes. There. I did it. I protested!" 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Fake VP
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357

(CNN)How much did Vice President Mike Pence's trip to Indianapolis to watch -- and then abruptly leave -- a football game Sunday between the Indianapolis Colts and San Francisco 49ers cost?

Here is an estimate of just the air costs (which does not include costs of advance personnel, Secret Service or support on the ground):
    According to the Air Force, flying a C-32, the model of plane used for Air Force 2, for one hour costs about $30,000. Pence's flight from Las Vegas to Indianapolis Saturday took about three hours and 20 minutes, so it cost about $100,000
    Pence then flew from Indianapolis to Los Angeles on Sunday, which took about four hours and 45 minutes, costing about $142,500.
      The grand total: about $242,500.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
      @HesCalledDyer -- you should know better than that by now!  You try to present logic, in the face of contrarian jackhole trolls playing internet games....what are you thinking?!  ;)
      Anyone who doesn't see this Pence thing yesterday as the political stunt that it was is blind.  Anyone who is a fan of Pearl Jam and posting here about it in response to your posts is just trying to bait you and cause some argument. 
      True that. Don’t know why I even bother most of the time.
    • ^^^
      Dyer, what is your opinion as to why the kneelers are getting bigger in numbers?

^^^
      Dyer, what is your opinion as to why the kneelers are getting bigger in numbers?

Protest is gaining momentum.  Duh.
    • ^^^

Protest is gaining momentum.  Duh.

Ok. Have a good night.
    • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
      my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
      edited October 2017
      The Vice President flew to a football game halfway across the country to protest a protest for racial equality while keeping absolutely silent about white supremacists who were protesting in Charlottesville for racial superiority.

That's why motherfuckers are kneeling right there.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    • But in all seriousness... who cares if the crusty, old white bugger left the game?

Good. You're gone. The building just improved itself. F**k off, loser.
    • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
      Isn't it ironic, don't politicize the mass shooting with talks of gun control, but make sure to publicly politicize and grandstand about the right to kneel during the anthem. The line of thinking on this is bonkers.
      It's a hopeless situation...
      But in all seriousness... who cares if the crusty, old white bugger left the game?

At the expense of taxpayers, for a PR stunt.
    • But in all seriousness... who cares if the crusty, old white bugger left the game?

At the expense of taxpayers, for a PR stunt.

Here's my thing with that:

I read the post earlier that detailed such a frivolous expense for the grandstanding opportunity. And it, yet again, added another piece to this horrible sham of a government. But is there a significant portion of the US public saying, "Good. Way to show 'em!"? Or is that sector capable of understanding how plastic this regime is?
    • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
      edited October 2017
      There are people cheering on this childish behavior.
      Post edited by cincybearcat on
      hippiemom = goodness
    • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
      ^^^
      It's pretty clear that the Cowboys can't kneel now or it will be considered disrespecting the flag and they will not be allowed to play. Yet some people here still think the keeling is only about social and racial injustices.  It's straightforward and logical thinking to see it this way.  The kneeling has become anti-Trump. Admit it.

so because Jerry Jones says it's about the flag, it's about the flag? an old white dude telling black people what they're protesting about?

look, the increase in kneeling is partially about Trump, but not specifically him. It's about a white man in the highest position of power telling people of colour that the protest of racial inequality is disrespecting the country and all it stands for and that they are wrong to be doing it. at the same time as saying that white supremacists are good people and that they should be allowed to protest.

THAT IS WHAT OPPRESSION IS.

he is attempting to silence them and downplay the issues they are bringing to the forefront. they aren't protesting Trump, they are protesting what he stands for, and that is the oppression and inequality of white people. The more he riles his base up against black people, the more black people are going to join in the protest. 

the kaepernick issue was largely being ignored until Trump brought it up. especially since he wasn't even on the field this year. he created this monster himself. I don't know yet if it's brilliance in riling up the racists and to distract them from how terrible his presidency is, or if it's just him being incredibly stupid and and it working out for him at the same time. Much like his candidacy, and now his presidency, it seems like everything he says/does is brilliant in its absolute stupidity. 

he is confounding his detractors and keeps them scrambling on how to react at every turn. but I don't think he does it on purpose. I think it's just that his base is just as stupid as he is and frothing at the mouth at every word he says. that's what they love about him. they feel like they can relate to him on the most basic level. 

Trump, if you recall, also took credit for Kaepernick not getting signed, saying he'd create a PR crisis for any team that signed him. 
      Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
      You can work for ESPN and call the POTUS a racist retard and get a slap on the wrist but you never fuck with the ad money.
    • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,420
      meanwhile, the real issue is still ongoing and people are being murdered.....
      maybe lets focus on that instead of the manufactured distraction.
      _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
      you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
      memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
      another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
      mickeyrat said:
      It's how white supremacists (alt-right) have mainstreamed their message and turn it into policy. Take an issue and turn it into 'liberals hate our country and are destroying it'. Conservatives and closeted bigots will support this over what it actually is, which is an attempt to keep white privilege, if not grow it. trump and friends know this works. 
    • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
      mickeyrat said:
      It's how white supremacists (alt-right) have mainstreamed their message and turn it into policy. Take an issue and turn it into 'liberals hate our country and are destroying it'. Conservatives and closeted bigots will support this over what it actually is, which is an attempt to keep white privilege, if not grow it. trump and friends know this works. 
      Excellent points, both.
      “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
      Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyrat said:

You're giving these people a lot of credit suggesting the reality is by design.

It might very well be, but such an idea means Trump is far more formidable than I've ever believed him to be. I'd hate to think I have been wrong about him.

Donald Trump... highly intelligent... in pursuit of a bigger, more sinister vision than meets the eye.

Hmmm. Maybe. 
    • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
      mickeyrat said:

It might very well be, but such an idea means Trump is far more formidable than I've ever believed him to be. I'd hate to think I have been wrong about him.

Donald Trump... highly intelligent... in pursuit of a bigger, more sinister vision than meets the eye.

Hmmm. Maybe. 
      Whether there's malice in the distractions being brought forward, or whether they're simply an impulsive dictatorial leader's whims of the moment, the reality is the same: things that matter are being forgotten, and replaced by things that don't. 

Good, neutral, or bad for Trump (and intentional or accidental) are irrelevant to me. It's the goodness of his acts for the population (again, whether intentional or accidental) which matter.
      '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
      Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
      http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20980456/roger-goodell-sends-letter-nfl-teams-wants-players-stand-national-anthem

Trump wins.  He always has and always will.  The American People have the back of the beloved President.
      1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
      2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
      “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
      Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
      OnWis97 said:
      http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20980456/roger-goodell-sends-letter-nfl-teams-wants-players-stand-national-anthem

Trump wins.  He always has and always will.  The American People have the back of the beloved President.
      BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. 
      Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• benjs said:
      mickeyrat said:

Hmmm. Maybe. 
      Whether there's malice in the distractions being brought forward, or whether they're simply an impulsive dictatorial leader's whims of the moment, the reality is the same: things that matter are being forgotten, and replaced by things that don't. 

Good, neutral, or bad for Trump (and intentional or accidental) are irrelevant to me. It's the goodness of his acts for the population (again, whether intentional or accidental) which matter.

I hear what you are saying, but I do think it is significant to fully comprehend what we're dealing with in order to deal with it.

Is Trump Inspector Clouseau... or is Trump a sinister dictator?

Has he skillfully managed to distract the public to further a bigger agenda... or has he clumsily managed to distract the public with no real plan in place? The answer to this question results in, as you stated, the same reality; however, at the risk of being wrong... it is my opinion that the 'Clouseau' variety Trump is less threatening and easier to manage than the 'sinister' variety.
      brianlux said:
      I bet it's over 50% among NFL fans, which is why they have no choice here.