• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

Obama's second inauguration. 
    What's your point? Flying flags in government from a historical perspective is far different than a private company choosing what they want to put on their product. Nobody is saying we should pretend the flag doesn't exist.
    that's funny, since you just stated the exact same argument folks had for keeping monuments and confederate flags from the civil war era in government. 

"historical perspective". 
    What does the confederate flag have to do with this? Governments taking down confederate monuments is no where in the same league as a company choosing not to associate their brand and product with something. If Nike was trying to get the flag taken down from government institutions you may have a point.

That's what we call a strawman.
    oh, the strawman again, haha. I wasn't comparing the two (nike and government) at all. my comment was addressing the part where you stated that it is ok to fly a flag in government from a historical perspective. did you support the removal of the confederate flag and monuments from government buildings?
    You are making an argument against an argument I have not made. Textbook straw man.

I didn't say it was "ok" to fly any flag, you are making that up. I haven't said if I think it's right or wrong. I said it was very different, and to compare what a business does and what a government does in this regard is stupid.

I'm not the one talking about confederate flags and monuments, you are. Again, decisions by governments and decisions by businesses are made differently.

And what difference does it make if I did or did not support the removal of confederate monuments? It's completely irrelevant to the point I've made.

Also, if you weren't comparing Nike to the government, why post that picture at all? 
    The point of the picture isn't about Nike's right as a company to do what they want.  It's to show that even the first black president evidently did not associate that flag with racism.  I think it's 100% relevant to the discussion about the flag and whether it's a direct reflection of racism, not whether Nike does/not have the right to make or recall any shoe they want. 
    I may disagree with what this whole thing is about with you, but at least you take the time to write out a genuine response. So thanks for that.

Either way this whole Nike flag thing is pretty stupid (and in my opinion being blow way out of proportion) and not really worth the argument (for me anyways). So I'm bowing out.

Happy 4th to you.
    Happy 4th.  Or belated Canada Day?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

What's your point? Flying flags in government from a historical perspective is far different than a private company choosing what they want to put on their product. Nobody is saying we should pretend the flag doesn't exist.
    that's funny, since you just stated the exact same argument folks had for keeping monuments and confederate flags from the civil war era in government. 

What does the confederate flag have to do with this? Governments taking down confederate monuments is no where in the same league as a company choosing not to associate their brand and product with something. If Nike was trying to get the flag taken down from government institutions you may have a point.

oh, the strawman again, haha. I wasn't comparing the two (nike and government) at all. my comment was addressing the part where you stated that it is ok to fly a flag in government from a historical perspective. did you support the removal of the confederate flag and monuments from government buildings?
    You are making an argument against an argument I have not made. Textbook straw man.

I didn't say it was "ok" to fly any flag, you are making that up. I haven't said if I think it's right or wrong. I said it was very different, and to compare what a business does and what a government does in this regard is stupid.

I'm not the one talking about confederate flags and monuments, you are. Again, decisions by governments and decisions by businesses are made differently.

And what difference does it make if I did or did not support the removal of confederate monuments? It's completely irrelevant to the point I've made.

Also, if you weren't comparing Nike to the government, why post that picture at all? 
    The point of the picture isn't about Nike's right as a company to do what they want.  It's to show that even the first black president evidently did not associate that flag with racism.  I think it's 100% relevant to the discussion about the flag and whether it's a direct reflection of racism, not whether Nike does/not have the right to make or recall any shoe they want. 
    I may disagree with what this whole thing is about with you, but at least you take the time to write out a genuine response. So thanks for that.

Either way this whole Nike flag thing is pretty stupid (and in my opinion being blow way out of proportion) and not really worth the argument (for me anyways). So I'm bowing out.

Happy 4th to you.
    Happy 4th.  Or belated Canada Day?
    Belated, thanks!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

add another one to the list. 
    If you can't bother to make a coherent response I'm not going to waste my time.
    that's rich coming from you.

and you obviously didn't understand that was the point of my comment. 

added to the list. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    mcgruff10 said:

We all know that Obama was racist. Duh
    According to some recently he also had a racist VP
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

added to the list. 
    Steve Buscemi People To Kill GIF
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

added to the list. 
    Buscemi, lol!  Cool!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

added to the list. 
    Buscemi, lol!  Cool!
    Always Mr. Pink. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

added to the list. 
    Buscemi, lol!  Cool!
    Always Mr. Pink. 
    What's the reference?  Also, what film is the gif from?  Not sure I've seen it (or forgot), and I really like Buscemi's work!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

added to the list. 
    Buscemi, lol!  Cool!
    Always Mr. Pink. 
    What's the reference?  Also, what film is the gif from?  Not sure I've seen it (or forgot), and I really like Buscemi's work!
    Mr Pink is from Reservoir Dogs.

The Gif is from Billy Madison

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    He don't tip...

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

added to the list. 
    Buscemi, lol!  Cool!
    Always Mr. Pink. 
    He will always be fucking Donny to me.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

added to the list. 
    Buscemi, lol!  Cool!
    Always Mr. Pink. 
    Ah.. true.  Reservoir Dogs was something I watched 50 times when it came out. I think I was 20. So a few years before Lebowski
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

added to the list. 
    Buscemi, lol!  Cool!
    Always Mr. Pink. 
    Is this how your remember him?
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

added to the list. 
    Buscemi, lol!  Cool!
    Always Mr. Pink. 
    Mr Pink is from Reservoir Dogs.

The Gif is from Billy Madison

Cool, thanks!

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

added to the list. 
    Buscemi, lol!  Cool!
    Always Mr. Pink. 
    Is this how your remember him?
    Haha, perfect gif.
  • Options
    otterotter Posts: 753
    He is not cool 
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    otter said:
    He is not cool 
    Sometimes he's hot...

...and sometimes he's c-c-cold...

...and sometimes he's co-o-o-l!

• Options
    ^HA
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Nike stock is up again.
    Valuation up $3B.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    $3,000,000,000

That's how much money Nike made in a complete in-house manufactured controversy in less then a week.  three billion dollars. 

I hope everyone had fun getting into huge arguments with their relatives while eating hot dogs over the holiday.  I hope Kap got his 10% fee from Nike, but not likely.  Nike is playing him as a fool too. 

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,012
    edited July 2019
    Jason P said:
     Nike is playing him as a fool too.  

What I read back when they did that viral ad with "Kap" was that Nike was planning/Wanted to drop him after his controversy with the NFL. But Nikes ad agency convinced them to still use him. So, if that is the case - the ad agency and not Nike saw the potential in "Kap" as a face for the brand.

Smart move either way. Ofc.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    $3,000,000,000

That's how much money Nike made in a complete in-house manufactured controversy in less then a week.  three billion dollars. 

I hope everyone had fun getting into huge arguments with their relatives while eating hot dogs over the holiday.  I hope Kap got his 10% fee from Nike, but not likely.  Nike is playing him as a fool too. 

I don't think that's an accurate assessment.  If you're using market cap as the metric, the stock performed in line with every other index last week.  Nike was up 2.7%, S&P was up 2.4.  Today their market cap is 139 billion.  It makes sense that they were 136 billion a week ago.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    Image may contain shoes text that says NIKES LATEST SHOE RELEASE
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,012
    mcgruff10 said:
    Image may contain shoes text that says NIKES LATEST SHOE RELEASE
    So what subreddit did you pick up that pic from?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    I can’t even figure out who’s supposed to be the snowflakes here...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    OnWis97 said:
    I can’t even figure out who’s supposed to be the snowflakes here...
    It’s pretty much everyone on the extreme ends. So both 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited July 2019
    Read and watch what this gold star mom had to say about the whole issue.
    https://ijr.com/gold-star-mom-takes-swing-kaepernick-american-flag/
    This old wheel keeps on rolling down the road.
    But this mom makes some very good points it's worth a listen and a read.

Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    You know what's really weird and irritating as hell?  Every time (and I mean every time) this thread comes up on my notifications, I hear in my head some school chum from long ago chanting, "Rah rah ree/ kick 'em in the knee/ Rah rah rass/ kick 'em in the other knee".
    :anguished:

:lol:

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Whenever Ryme says it's worth a listen and read.  pass

Especially from ijr.com  LOL