Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    mcgruff10 said:

Obama's second inauguration. 
    This should end the conversation and prove that this whole thing is nonsense. 
    It's not nonsense.  The III% group which adopted that flag as it's symbol was founded in 2008 as a reaction to Obama getting elected. And during Obama's 2nd inauguration, the group was obviously not well-known nor did it have a platform to speak on or garner support from because dickface Trump wasn't in office yet calling racists from Charlottesville who waved that same flag "good people."  So yes, it's really not hard to understand how a black man would associate it with being a racist symbol in 2019.  The only nonsense is, like Alli said, people suddenly caring about an obsolete flag they never cared about until now.  
    To that, this photo kind of drives to the point mrussel1 was making pages back. Even if Obama knew about the group - and I'm sure he did - the flags on display here is like him saying "No, this flag is NOT your symbol, it's belongs to these United States. I'm taking it back for us."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    mcgruff10 said:

It's not nonsense.  The III% group which adopted that flag as it's symbol was founded in 2008 as a reaction to Obama getting elected. And during Obama's 2nd inauguration, the group was obviously not well-known nor did it have a platform to speak on or garner support from because dickface Trump wasn't in office yet calling racists from Charlottesville who waved that same flag "good people."  So yes, it's really not hard to understand how a black man would associate it with being a racist symbol in 2019.  The only nonsense is, like Alli said, people suddenly caring about an obsolete flag they never cared about until now.  
    To that, this photo kind of drives to the point mrussel1 was making pages back. Even if Obama knew about the group - and I'm sure he did - the flags on display here is like him saying "No, this flag is NOT your symbol, it's belongs to these United States. I'm taking it back for us."
    Great  post, Dyer.  I learned some things from it, thanks! 

Man, how the times have changed.  In the late 60's to about mid 70's, most radical groups that existed were based on opposition to an unjust war in Vietnam or  in support of giving African Americans the freedoms the Civil Rights Movement brought attention to, but not wide acceptance of.  Now there is this plethora of radical groups (more so on the far right but also on the far left) that are built on hate.  More than ever, I like John Lennon's words, "But if you want money for people with minds that hate/ All I can tell is brother you have to wait."  It's disturbing how much hate there is out there in the world.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited July 2019
    Smellyman said:
    Whenever Ryme says it's worth a listen and read.  pass

Especially from ijr.com  LOL

And every time I see a post from smelly I know its time to duck.  Because you're one of those guys that would jump through the screen and smack me if you could.
    Why don't you comment on the point the woman was making instead of the website that I used to post it.  See you take your little cheap shot at me but you don't comment on the toppic.  Same thing every time I'm surprised you didn't toss a little Christian mockery into it as well.  That usually follows suit.
    Her son died for the flag so that people like Kaepernick can shit on it.
    https://video.foxnews.com/v/6056101587001/?playlist_id=2114913880001#sp=show-clips
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    edited July 2019
    RYME said:
    https://video.foxnews.com/v/6056101587001/?playlist_id=2114913880001#sp=show-clips
    And if that dude would not have joined the military, there is an absurdly big chance he would have been shot/assaulted by the police in your little country just for being black. So Kaepernick "shit on it" for him too.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,779
    mcgruff10 said:

so which flag is it thats racist? the 13 stars in a field of blue or the 13 stars surrounding roman numeral 3 in a field of blue. if its the latter, I dont recall that being the Ross flag.......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    What do you think the odds are if a Democrat candidate denounces the current American flag?  I’m sure there are photos of Grand Wizard Billy Ray Joe Bob standing next to one on the World Wide Web. 
  • Options
    RYME said:
    Smellyman said:

And every time I see a post from smelly I know its time to duck.  Because you're one of those guys that would jump through the screen and smack me if you could.
    Why don't you comment on the point the woman was making instead of the website that I used to post it.  See you take your little cheap shot at me but you don't comment on the toppic.  Same thing every time I'm surprised you didn't toss a little Christian mockery into it as well.  That usually follows suit.
    her son died because he swore to defend the constitution. theres nothing in the oath that says you are defending the flag. if you joined to defend the flag you are a dumbass.

this women is entitled to her opinion. THAT is what her son died defending.

I wont get into the assinine need to still be in Afghanistan in 2011.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Jason P said:
    What do you think the odds are if a Democrat candidate denounces the current American flag?  I’m sure there are photos of Grand Wizard Billy Ray Joe Bob standing next to one on the World Wide Web. 
    They should at least promise to order it to be turned it upside down if becoming president.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    Jason P said:
    0%
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    edited July 2019
    So if people are offended by the Betsy Ross flag should they celebrate on the Fourth of July?
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    mcgruff10 said:
    So if people are offended by the Betsy Ross flag should they celebrate on the Fourth of July?
    They should go to work as a form of protest.  
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    RYME said:
    Smellyman said:

her son died because he swore to defend the constitution. theres nothing in the oath that says you are defending the flag. if you joined to defend the flag you are a dumbass.

this women is entitled to her opiniAlrion. THAT is what her son died defending.

RYME said:
    And if that dude would not have joined the military, there is an absurdly big chance he would have been shot/assaulted by the police in your little country just for being black. So Kaepernick "shit on it" for him too.
    I didn't think I would have to explain this.  The American flag is a symbol of our country. So when I say he died for the flag, okay I'll fix my wording. TheAmerican Flag represents the United States of America soldiers fight for Amarica they don't die for the physical flag itself.
  • Options
    RYME said:
    mickeyrat said:
    RYME said:
    Smellyman said:

RYME said:
    I didn't think I would have to explain this.  The American flag is a symbol of our country. So when I say he died for the flag, okay I'll fix my wording. TheAmerican Flag represents the United States of America soldiers fight for Amarica they don't die for the physical flag itself.
    It's a pretty well understood metaphor.  I don't think one needs to clarify that.  
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    RYME said:
    Smellyman said:

This is who needed clarification.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    RYME said:
    mickeyrat said:
    RYME said:
    Smellyman said:

This is who needed clarification.
    Why did you quote me? What did I not understand about the flag being a symbol?
  • Options
    RYME said:
    mickeyrat said:
    RYME said:
    Smellyman said:

RYME said:
    FOX set it up like that and SHE set it up like that. Technically they arent even defending the country. They are defending the document and the ideals it represents. The Constitution isnt a symbol.

Her son and many others died defending the rights contained in that document. First among them is speech. If the SCOTUS has deemed burning the flag permissible speech then kneeling before it in protest is rather benign, dont you think? Further no one stands , hand on heart during the anthem because the military defends the "symbol". Because the Anthem isnt about them. Its about the ideals this country espouses, but sadly has yet to fully live up to.

Having served myself, whether I agree with his decision or not is irrelevant. I do , however, celebrate the fact that for all its flaws , we reside in a country that has this right.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

so which flag is it thats racist? the 13 stars in a field of blue or the 13 stars surrounding roman numeral 3 in a field of blue. if its the latter, I dont recall that being the Ross flag.......
    They adopted the Betsy Ross flag and put the roman numeral III in the middle of the stars.  Surely you're not going to argue that little nuance and say something like they're completely different flags.  This isn't a "find the difference in the two pictures" puzzle.  The point is, could people of color then see the Betsy Ross flag (the OG, not the III%er adoption) and associate it with the perpetual, neverending problem of racism in this country?  The answer to that seems obvious. It's best to just avoid it.  The Betsy Ross flag isn't the flag of the United States of America anyway.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

They adopted the Betsy Ross flag and put the roman numeral III in the middle of the stars.  Surely you're not going to argue that little nuance and say something like they're completely different flags.  This isn't a "find the difference in the two pictures" puzzle.  The point is, could people of color then see the Betsy Ross flag (the OG, not the III%er adoption) and associate it with the perpetual, neverending problem of racism in this country?  The answer to that seems obvious. It's best to just avoid it.  The Betsy Ross flag isn't the flag of the United States of America anyway.
    it was....
    that stain runs deep. the past cant be changed. the present and future can be. he has the right, of course, to express homself. it just seems unproductive to me.

so the question I have is , how did this move the country forward?

Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I don't know if someone mentioned it, but the "III" is the 3%er myth; that only 3% of the population participated in the Revolution.  It's used as propaganda that these fringe groups would be successful in overthrowing the guvmint.  

I agree we should never use the flag with the III, for obvious reasons.  Totally disagree that we should never use the original flag because of some dipshit rednecks.  
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

it was....
    So what?  It's not now.  Nike didn't make it into a shoe. And a racist organization founded as a reaction to a spooky black man being elected President now uses it.  You really don't understand why black people would have a problem with this?
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

it was....
    So what?  It's not now.  Nike didn't make it into a shoe. And a racist organization founded as a reaction to a spooky black man being elected President now uses it.  You really don't understand why black people would have a problem with this?
    see my edit....

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:

it was....
    I understand why that one black guy has a problem (Kap) but I don't know that black people as a monolith have a problem or even give a shit.  Neither the outrage culture nor the Twitterverse is necessarily a good sampling of how "black people" or all people feel in general about any subject whatsoever.  
    And I'll never understand why the reaction would be to cede the 13 stars to the racists, rather than take it back.  It's not like Nike put the III in the middle.  The current flag is a symbol of segregation and Jim Crow.  Are you upset when you see a baseball player wearing it on their shoes, hat or jersey?  Should we be?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    So is every American flag pre-1964 considered racist?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    RYME said:
    mickeyrat said:
    RYME said:
    Smellyman said:

RYME said:
    FOX set it up like that and SHE set it up like that. Technically they arent even defending the country. They are defending the document and the ideals it represents. The Constitution isnt a symbol.

Her son and many others died defending the rights contained in that document. First among them is speech. If the SCOTUS has deemed burning the flag permissible speech then kneeling before it in protest is rather benign, dont you think? Further no one stands , hand on heart during the anthem because the military defends the "symbol". Because the Anthem isnt about them. Its about the ideals this country espouses, but sadly has yet to fully live up to.

Having served myself, whether I agree with his decision or not is irrelevant. I do , however, celebrate the fact that for all its flaws , we reside in a country that has this right.
    I for one than thank you very much for your service mickeyrat.
    So when the anthem is playing and I'm standing for the flag & honering people like you and the rest of our military past present and future.  Nothing political about it.
    Thank you again Mickey rat.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    .  And I'll never understand why the reaction would be to cede the 13 stars to the racists, rather than take it back.  

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi! said:
    mrussel1 said:
    .  And I'll never understand why the reaction would be to cede the 13 stars to the racists, rather than take it back.  

Un-woke.  This guy needs to check his privilege, whoever he is.    
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Hi! said:
    mrussel1 said:

The whole crowd was UN-woke. Proudest I’ve ever been chanting, USA, USA!

• Options
    Hi! said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Hi! said:
    mrussel1 said:

Was that Philly?  I vaguely remember that, although I remember him having on a Rocky shirt one night and a Bruce the other.  I also recall him coming out in stars and stripes robe in either 13 or 16 in Philly.  

I'm more than ready for an arena show in Philly.  NEVER miss a Philly show.  That's rule one of PJ concerts for me. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Hi! said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Hi! said:
    mrussel1 said:

Was that Philly?  I vaguely remember that, although I remember him having on a Rocky shirt one night and a Bruce the other.  I also recall him coming out in stars and stripes robe in either 13 or 16 in Philly.  

I'm more than ready for an arena show in Philly.  NEVER miss a Philly show.  That's rule one of PJ concerts for me. 
    I’m pretty sure it was vote for change Grand Rapids show. I’ve seen one PJ concert in Philly 05 or 06, I forget. Furthest I’ve traveled for a PJ show. Lol.