Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    wasnt directed at a member
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    mickeyrat said:
    Yeah, synonym for white nationalists..
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    that edit better brian?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    edited July 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    very very true.  I thought you were pretty kind when describing white nationalists. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

• Options
    Now that's funny!
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    He doesn’t suck. He had four touchdowns in one game at Polk High.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    edited July 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    that edit better brian?
    Personally, I'm rather partial to vivacious words like dumbfock and shotheads, but I wouldn't use them here. 

Ahh, I mean, oh  shoot!
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    mcgruff10 said:

Only difference is that Al Bundy has a championship ring. 
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mrussel1 said:
    ^^ hey is that right?  He was in Seattle's camp and he didn't want to be a backup, and wanted starter money, after everything that was happening?  I always thought no one would give him a chance.  And btw, I didn't think the owners were racists for not giving him a chance, I think they lacked the cajones to have him on their team because of Trump and his minions.  But if you're saying he could have been in the league, but chose to do so, that's quite a bit different. 
    In 2017 the Seahawks brought him in, alpmg with Davis. Seahawks were looking for a #2 behind Wilson. We signed Davis. Press releases quoted Carroll saying that we needed a backup to Wilson and Colin was a starter.  Rumors on the street were that he wanted too much money to be a backup, and he certainly wasn't going to replace Wilson. We had a scheduled workout with him last year, but the NFL was cracking down on the anthem displays, and the Seahawks were trying to comply. Kaep told the Seahawks he wouldn't, so they cancelled the workout just before it was supposed to happen. So fans in Seattle have had 2 Kaep scares. I'm glad he never got signed with us. What a waste of salary cap and roster space he would have been.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Dude was an absolute beast for a few years, the whole "suck at football" angle is silly.
    He was not good enough overall to stick, but his skill level was great.  Damn near had a super bowl ring as well...if the team could just have defended against the mighty Joe Flacco.  ? 

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Dude was an absolute beast for a few years, the whole "suck at football" angle is silly.
    He was not good enough overall to stick, but his skill level was great.  Damn near had a super bowl ring as well...if the team could just have defended against the mighty Joe Flacco.  ? 

Flacco had the best four games of his life in a row and essentially won the contract lotto .... although if Denver’s secondary had more than two brain cells he wouldn’t have taken Baltimore past the wildcard round. 

And not to crap on Kap too much because he is a gifted athlete, but defensive coordinators had no idea how to defend the read-option set and once they adjusted over the off season that offensive scheme went the way of the Dodo and Kap’s career as a starter was over. 
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Flacco had the best four games of his life in a row and essentially won the contract lotto .... although if Denver’s secondary had more than two brain cells he wouldn’t have taken Baltimore past the wildcard round. 

And not to crap on Kap too much because he is a gifted athlete, but defensive coordinators had no idea how to defend the read-option set and once they adjusted over the off season that offensive scheme went the way of the Dodo and Kap’s career as a starter was over. 
    Kap definitely didn't suck and probably deserved another chance in the league.  You can't tell me that Sanchez was better and he keeps getting chances.  The meme was just funny because of the Bundy thing. 
  • Options
    My money says that we end up finding out Nike planned this “controversy” for months.  It has been one of the biggest discussions during a period where media goes dead over a holiday so unless there is a mass shooting or terrorist strike this is all that will be talked about for 3-5 days.  

Last time Kap made the news like this Nike’s valuation went up a few billion dollars.   Kap is not reviewing each Nike product for approval.  Nike would know this would be controversial.  The story was “leaked” with all the details although no one is interested in how and why.  This is some true Dr Evil corporate planning here. 
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    My money says that we end up finding out Nike planned this “controversy” for months.  It has been one of the biggest discussions during a period where media goes dead over a holiday so unless there is a mass shooting or terrorist strike this is all that will be talked about for 3-5 days.  

Last time Kap made the news like this Nike’s valuation went up a few billion dollars.   Kap is not reviewing each Nike product for approval.  Nike would know this would be controversial.  The story was “leaked” with all the details although no one is interested in how and why.  This is some true Dr Evil corporate planning here. 
    If this turns out to be true, and they planned on capitalizing on the splitting of the country, then Phil Knight and co. are no better than Trump in my book.  Not that they care, but that'll be it for Nike for me.  I like Adidas a bit more anyway, so fine.  But that would be super, super shitty.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

Kap definitely didn't suck and probably deserved another chance in the league.  You can't tell me that Sanchez was better and he keeps getting chances.  The meme was just funny because of the Bundy thing. 
    I would never claim Sanchez was better then the UPS driver that drops off packages at my house.   But top ten picks usually get more chances then they deserve. 
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

I would never claim Sanchez was better then the UPS driver that drops off packages at my house.   But top ten picks usually get more chances then they deserve. 
    The butt fumble is single handily the greatest play ever in the history of the nfl.  
  • Options

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,810
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

Obama's second inauguration. 
    What's your point? Flying flags in government from a historical perspective is far different than a private company choosing what they want to put on their product. Nobody is saying we should pretend the flag doesn't exist.
    that's funny, since you just stated the exact same argument folks had for keeping monuments and confederate flags from the civil war era in government. 

"historical perspective". 
    What does the confederate flag have to do with this? Governments taking down confederate monuments is no where in the same league as a company choosing not to associate their brand and product with something. If Nike was trying to get the flag taken down from government institutions you may have a point.

That's what we call a strawman.
    oh, the strawman again, haha. I wasn't comparing the two (nike and government) at all. my comment was addressing the part where you stated that it is ok to fly a flag in government from a historical perspective. did you support the removal of the confederate flag and monuments from government buildings?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I don't personally care if Obama's level of involvement with his own inauguration decorations (to me that's just giving him a preemptive pass on it if he didn't approve it). it's his inauguration, he should know if he's flying a racist flag behind himself. 
    I don't see one of those flags, myself.  
    it's the same flag as the nike shoe flag. 
    I know.  I don't see a racist flag behind Obama.  And my guess is he didn't either.  
    It clearly isn't a racist flag. That is Kaep's faux outrage. He exists to stir the pot.

Is the Betsy Ross flag racist? Nike listened to Colin Kaepernick, but hate group monitors say no, conservatives push back.

The Anti-Defamation League does not include it in its database of hate symbols. Mark Pitcavage, a senior research fellow for the ADL's Center on Extremism, said extremist groups have occasionally used it, but the flag is most commonly used by people for patriotic purposes. "We view it as essentially an innocuous historical flag," Pitcavage said. "It's not a thing in the white supremacist movement."

The ADL would be quick to call it out as racist if it actually was. This entire thing is contrived outrage. It's working, I guess. And it is fucking stupid.

Second mic drop. 
    To be clear, the Betsy Ross flag is not nearly as recognizable a symbol of white supremacy as, say, the Confederate flag. “This is not a flag I see waving at events or seeing displayed on their websites,” Mark Pitcavage, a senior research fellow at the Center of Extremism at the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), tells Rolling Stone. It has, however, been associated with the Patriot Movement, an anti-government, extremist right-wing movement that encompasses smaller fringe movements such as the militia movement, the sovereign citizen movement, and the tax protest movement. (Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh was highly influenced by militia movement ideology.) The militia movement, says Pitcavage, is the youngest of the three, dating from about the mid-1990s, and has been using the Betsy Ross flag, among other Revolutionary War-era symbols, since its inception. “Because they view themselves as analogous to American revolutionaries, they love to use old flags from that era,” he says, citing the Revolutionary War-era “don’t tread on me” flag as another example. The Betsy Ross flag is apparently so closely identified with the Patriot Movement that until this morning, it was the main image of its Wikipedia page, according to reporter Charles Robinson. (It has since been removed, but is viewable on a cached version of the webpage.)

While the white supremacist movement and the Patriot movement are not synonymous, there is some overlap between the two. The flag has also been used or reinterpreted by groups like the American Identity Movement (formerly Identity Evropa) and Patriot Front, both of which have been classified as hate groups by the SPLC and were founded within the past few years. Pitcavage says that the Knight Riders, a now-defunct West Virginia-based Ku Klux Klan group, at one point required that every chapter of the group had to use either the Confederate flag or the Betsy Ross flag to cover the “altar” during meetings with Klan rituals; most recently, the Betsy Ross flag was depicted in a 2018 flier allegedly distributed in upstate New York for the United Northern & Southern Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, which depicts a Klansman on horseback carrying a Confederate flag in one hand and a Betsy Ross flag in another. Such groups “[brand] themselves in the trappings of Americana with the aim of creating a more marketable image for their dedication to creating an all-white nation,” says Hankes.

Well, the current flag is often used by "patriots" as well. But that doesn't mean that it is their symbol. Every iteration of the flag has likely had some scummy group using it as a symbol. But the point is that the Betsy Ross flag is NOT generally considered a symbol of racism by anyone except those looking for a reason to make noise. It is fairly innocuous. This entire thing is much ado 'bout nothing. Except to drive traffic to Nike.

Because that is the CURRENT flag, and wasn't used in slave days. Isn't that obvious?
    Now, if this is all a fabricated ad campaign by Nike, including Kaepernick's complaint, that would change things. Otherwise... I think these historical symbols in America are a hot button issue that is actually worth debating. I think it is valid for African Americans to be touchy about American history. It's completely justified. So again, wherever they lean, I'll lean too.
    why would how this came about "change things"? 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Well, he was good until he wasn't. I admitted that most of my dislike of him stemmed from his being a rival QB. SEA and SF had a pretty good rivalry going for a bit. Kap, RGIII and Wilson were the golden boys, and Kap and RGIII were getting the big press, while Russ was quietly doing his thing in the wilderness of Seattle. RGIII broke down, Kap took a shit, and Russ rose to the top of that pecking order. I thought Kap was a publicity whore and once teams figured him out, he just wasn't the caliber QB I'd want starting for my team. As I also said, he'd have never replaced Wilson in Seattle. He wasn't good enough, and he wasn't liked enough. So yeah, I'll grant you that he had talent, and a couple of good years. But then became just another average QB who would never dominate the league. I think protests were his career move to remain relevant. I guess he's remained in the news, but not sure about the relevant part. Anyway, glad to this day that we didn't sign him.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited July 2019
    I’ll only comment from a football standpoint. I don't want to call him gimmicky but its like someone said.  Once coordinators finally adjusted he was done for.  Some mobile QBs were able to adjust and stay in the pocket.  He just didn't have “it” and it showed.  Could have been a nice 2nd or 3rd stringer and had a long career but he refused those opportunities.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

What's your point? Flying flags in government from a historical perspective is far different than a private company choosing what they want to put on their product. Nobody is saying we should pretend the flag doesn't exist.
    that's funny, since you just stated the exact same argument folks had for keeping monuments and confederate flags from the civil war era in government. 

What does the confederate flag have to do with this? Governments taking down confederate monuments is no where in the same league as a company choosing not to associate their brand and product with something. If Nike was trying to get the flag taken down from government institutions you may have a point.

oh, the strawman again, haha. I wasn't comparing the two (nike and government) at all. my comment was addressing the part where you stated that it is ok to fly a flag in government from a historical perspective. did you support the removal of the confederate flag and monuments from government buildings?
    Due your strawman gals equivalencies have you acting like a snowflake. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    He sucked.

He didn't suck.

He sucked.

He didn't suck.

OK.  I guess he sucked and he didn't suck.

But what he's been doing lately seems like good work to me.  Standing up for African Americans is good, important work in a nation like ours rife, with its long history of racism.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

You are making an argument against an argument I have not made. Textbook straw man.

I didn't say it was "ok" to fly any flag, you are making that up. I haven't said if I think it's right or wrong. I said it was very different, and to compare what a business does and what a government does in this regard is stupid.

I'm not the one talking about confederate flags and monuments, you are. Again, decisions by governments and decisions by businesses are made differently.

And what difference does it make if I did or did not support the removal of confederate monuments? It's completely irrelevant to the point I've made.

Also, if you weren't comparing Nike to the government, why post that picture at all? 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

You are making an argument against an argument I have not made. Textbook straw man.

I didn't say it was "ok" to fly any flag, you are making that up. I haven't said if I think it's right or wrong. I said it was very different, and to compare what a business does and what a government does in this regard is stupid.

I'm not the one talking about confederate flags and monuments, you are. Again, decisions by governments and decisions by businesses are made differently.

And what difference does it make if I did or did not support the removal of confederate monuments? It's completely irrelevant to the point I've made.

Also, if you weren't comparing Nike to the government, why post that picture at all? 
    The point of the picture isn't about Nike's right as a company to do what they want.  It's to show that even the first black president evidently did not associate that flag with racism.  I think it's 100% relevant to the discussion about the flag and whether it's a direct reflection of racism, not whether Nike does/not have the right to make or recall any shoe they want. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

The point of the picture isn't about Nike's right as a company to do what they want.  It's to show that even the first black president evidently did not associate that flag with racism.  I think it's 100% relevant to the discussion about the flag and whether it's a direct reflection of racism, not whether Nike does/not have the right to make or recall any shoe they want. 
    exactly. this isn't hard to understand. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

add another one to the list. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

add another one to the list. 
    If you can't bother to make a coherent response I'm not going to waste my time.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

I may disagree with what this whole thing is about with you, but at least you take the time to write out a genuine response. So thanks for that.

Either way this whole Nike flag thing is pretty stupid (and in my opinion being blow way out of proportion) and not really worth the argument (for me anyways). So I'm bowing out.

Happy 4th to you.