Options

Gay Marriage Ban

Comments

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,932
    I just for the life of me...
    Cant understand why middle America...
    And the legislators......

Cant take this Gay Pride and Gay Marriage thing seriously!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrymiCQtWjQ
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    edited May 2012
    I am against same sex marriage....

Convince me to change my mind on the subject......

And do it without calling me an asshole or a bigot......
    I don't think you're an asshole or a bigot. People are entitled to their beliefs. At least you say it outright. Imho, people can be against it or dislike it, but that shouldn't dissuade advocates from fighting for equal rights on this issue. You can't please all the people all the time.
    corrected. meant that smiley in the genuine sense.
    Post edited by EmBleve on
  • Options

I just for the life of me can't figure out why middle ten club and the moderators can't take this speedy mcready guy seriously!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    chadwick wrote:
    I dont believe in same sex marriage.....

So I came to this thread, to hear from people who speak for same sex marriage rights....

But I was called an asshole and a bigot....

So then I figured maybe I will go to youtube, and check out the Gay Pride Parade, and see what those people have to say about Same Sex Marriage.....

But then I got this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s_SpZ7R ... CF33885C1C

You people who are in favor of same sex marriage??
    You are going to have to try a little harder to convince me.....

hehehehehehehehehehehehe
    what is your question?

I have no questions....

"marriage" bestows certain civil/legal rights, benefits & recognitions to two people who civilly/legally announce this, their intended union.

however, these rights, benefits, & recognitions are being denied to gay people for no other reason besides their preferred and/or natural sexual orientation.

and that's discrimination.

I'm actually not trying to "convince" you. Just trying to simply-state the issue as I see it.
  • Options

I just for the life of me can't figure out why middle ten club and the moderators can't take this speedy mcready guy seriously!
    Easy now...
    You are supposed to be convincing me why I should accept same sex marriage....

Not starting on the personal attacks.....

The personal attacks are not going to change anybodys mind.....
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    chadwick wrote:
    I dont believe in same sex marriage.....

So I came to this thread, to hear from people who speak for same sex marriage rights....

But I was called an asshole and a bigot....

So then I figured maybe I will go to youtube, and check out the Gay Pride Parade, and see what those people have to say about Same Sex Marriage.....

But then I got this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s_SpZ7R ... CF33885C1C

You people who are in favor of same sex marriage??
    You are going to have to try a little harder to convince me.....

hehehehehehehehehehehehe
    what is your question?

I have no questions....

but you used three question marks so i assumed you had a question in the sentence if it is a sentence and question
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I will continue to push for gay civil unions by writing to my congress representatives and
    other organizations.

I will push to get govt out of the marriage business as others have said here....
    good idea
    to allow all unions to be civil unions of equal rights under the eyes of the law.

Allow marriage to remain being defined by individual churches.
    This could be a solution that the govt may very well embrace sooner than later.
  • Options
    rollings wrote:

"marriage" bestows certain civil/legal rights, benefits & recognitions to two people who civilly/legally announce this, their intended union.

however, these rights, benefits, & recognitions are being denied to gay people for no other reason besides their preferred and/or natural sexual orientation.

I'm actually not trying to "convince" you. Just trying to simply-state the issue as I see it.
    And exactly what benefits, rights, recognitions are you talking about?
  • Options
    rollings wrote:

I don't know. it sounds good though doesn't it? Let's ask the audience
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I have no questions....

No one is suggesting that you have to get married to a guy, so you can be against same sex marriage. But, why should your dislike of marrying a dude mean that no other dudes can?

I mean, I'm against guys wearing their pants like these idiots:
    Baggy20100309W.jpg
    But, I don't think there needs to be laws against it... Give people the freedom to do things that don't hurt anyone else, even if you don't like it. Isn't that what "freedom" really means anyway?

Plus, some lesbians are hot! :D
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    rollings wrote:

Well, for one you get to file a joint federal tax return. That's one
  • Options
    I have no questions....

No one is suggesting that you have to get married to a guy, so you can be against same sex marriage. But, why should your dislike of marrying a dude mean that no other dudes can?

I mean, I'm against guys wearing their pants like these idiots:
    Baggy20100309W.jpg
    But, I don't think there needs to be laws against it... Give people the freedom to do things that don't hurt anyone else, even if you don't like it. Isn't that what "freedom" really means anyway?
    yes. +1
  • Options
    rollings wrote:
    rollings wrote:

So now we have to change our tax laws?

Ok

What else?

Well, for one you get to file a joint federal tax return. That's one
  • Options
    rollings wrote:

I agree.
  • Options
    rollings wrote:

and these:

On the order of 1,400 legal rights are conferred upon married couples in the U.S.
    Typically these are composed of about 400 state benefits and over 1,000 federal benefits. Among them are the rights to:

--joint parenting;
    --joint adoption;
    --joint foster care, custody, and visitation (including non-biological parents);
    --status as next-of-kin for hospital visits and medical decisions where one partner is too ill to be competent;
    --joint insurance policies for home, auto and health;
    --dissolution and divorce protections such as community property and child support;
    --immigration and residency for partners from other countries;
    --inheritance automatically in the absence of a will;
    --joint leases with automatic renewal rights in the event one partner dies or leaves the house or -apartment;
    -- inheritance of jointly-owned real and personal property through the right of survivorship (which avoids the time and expense and taxes in probate);
    -- benefits such as annuities, pension plans, Social Security, and Medicare;
    --spousal exemptions to property tax increases upon the death of one partner who is a co-owner of the home;
    --veterans' discounts on medical care, education, and home loans; joint filing of tax returns;
    --joint filing of customs claims when traveling;
    -- wrongful death benefits for a surviving partner and children;
    --bereavement or sick leave to care for a partner or child;
    --decision-making power with respect to whether a deceased partner will be cremated or not and where to bury him or her;
    --crime victims' recovery benefits;
    --loss of consortium tort benefits;
    --domestic violence protection orders;
    --judicial protections and evidentiary immunity;
    and more....

http://www.religioustolerance.org/mar_bene.htm
  • Options
    Ok here we go...

Joint parenting..
    Joint adoption...

What are the current laws covering adoption and parenting with same sex couples?
    What are the DIVORCE and Custody laws...

2 lesbians get married..One has a child (naturally) not adopted...They become parents....2 Years later they divorce.....

Do they have equal rights to the child?
    Is there child support laws for gay/lesbians?
    Are there alimony laws in place for same sex marriages/divorces??

Im just curious..
    I have NO IDEA...
  • Options
    rollings wrote:

the below comes from this website:
    (I was not aware of the fact contained in the last paragraph below..... even if a STATE calls it a marriage, the federal governement still does not recognize it as such :fp: ) Oy!

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ ... 30190.html

Whether or not you favor marriage as a social institution, there's no denying that it confers many rights, protections, and benefits -- both legal and practical. Some of these vary from state to state, but the list typically includes:

Tax Benefits
    •Filing joint income tax returns with the IRS and state taxing authorities.
    •Creating a "family partnership" under federal tax laws, which allows you to divide business income among family members.

Estate Planning Benefits
    •Inheriting a share of your spouse's estate.
    •Receiving an exemption from both estate taxes and gift taxes for all property you give or leave to your spouse.
    •Creating life estate trusts that are restricted to married couples, including QTIP trusts, QDOT trusts, and marital deduction trusts.
    •Obtaining priority if a conservator needs to be appointed for your spouse -- that is, someone to make financial and/or medical decisions on your spouse's behalf.

Government Benefits
    •Receiving Social Security, Medicare, and disability benefits for spouses.
    •Receiving veterans' and military benefits for spouses, such as those for education, medical care, or special loans.
    •Receiving public assistance benefits.

Employment Benefits
    •Obtaining insurance benefits through a spouse's employer.
    •Taking family leave to care for your spouse during an illness.
    •Receiving wages, workers' compensation, and retirement plan benefits for a deceased spouse.
    •Taking bereavement leave if your spouse or one of your spouse's close relatives dies.

Medical Benefits
    •Visiting your spouse in a hospital intensive care unit or during restricted visiting hours in other parts of a medical facility.
    •Making medical decisions for your spouse if he or she becomes incapacitated and unable to express wishes for treatment.

Death Benefits
    •Consenting to after-death examinations and procedures.
    •Making burial or other final arrangements.

Family Benefits
    •Filing for stepparent or joint adoption.
    •Applying for joint foster care rights.
    •Receiving equitable division of property if you divorce.
    •Receiving spousal or child support, child custody, and visitation if you divorce.

Housing Benefits
    •Living in neighborhoods zoned for "families only."
    •Automatically renewing leases signed by your spouse.

Consumer Benefits
    •Receiving family rates for health, homeowners', auto, and other types of insurance.
    •Receiving tuition discounts and permission to use school facilities.
    •Other consumer discounts and incentives offered only to married couples or families.

Other Legal Benefits and Protections
    •Suing a third person for wrongful death of your spouse and loss of consortium (loss of intimacy).
    •Suing a third person for offenses that interfere with the success of your marriage, such as alienation of affection and criminal conversation (these laws are available in only a few states).
    •Claiming the marital communications privilege, which means a court can't force you to disclose the contents of confidential communications between you and your spouse during your marriage.
    •Receiving crime victims' recovery benefits if your spouse is the victim of a crime.
    •Obtaining immigration and residency benefits for noncitizen spouse.
    •Visiting rights in jails and other places where visitors are restricted to immediate family.

Same-Sex Marriage, Civil Unions, and Domestic Partnerships

If you are in a same-sex marriage in one of the states where same-sex marriage is allowed (Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, and D.C.), or if you are in a domestic partnership or civil union in any of the states that offer those relationship options, none of the benefits of marriage under federal law will apply to you, because the federal government does not recognize these same-sex relationships. For example, you may not file joint federal income tax returns with your partner, even if your state allows you to file taxes jointly. And other federal benefits, such as Social Security death benefits and COBRA continuation insurance coverage, may
    not apply.
  • Options
    Now correct me if I am wrong...

But BEFORE we can make same Sex marriages legal.....

We need to take a look at and possibly change...
    Are tax laws...
    Are adoption laws...
    Are custody laws...
    Are alimony laws...

Just to name a few...

Correct???

So I have to believe that we just cant make same sex marriages legal over-night...Correct?
    There needs to be a ton of thought put into this...Correct?
  • Options
    Ok here we go...

Joint parenting..
    Joint adoption...

What are the current laws covering adoption and parenting with same sex couples?
    What are the DIVORCE and Custody laws...

2 lesbians get married..One has a child (naturally) not adopted...They become parents....2 Years later they divorce.....

Do they have equal rights to the child?
    Is there child support laws for gay/lesbians?
    Are there alimony laws in place for same sex marriages/divorces??

Im just curious..
    I have NO IDEA...

I don't know either.

All I know is that access to all many rights, protections, and benefits are being denied to gay people just because they are gay.

It's just discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

It's not right
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341

Are tax laws...
    Are adoption laws...
    Are custody laws...
    Are alimony laws...

Just to name a few...

Correct???

So I have to believe that we just cant make same sex marriages legal over-night...Correct?

I don't think this is correct. Once same sex marriage is legal, it's a marriage like any other so no need to change anything else because those 'rights' are conferred to 'marriage'.

Though it would seem it's not at federal level :?
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    rollings wrote:
    I don't know either.

All I know is that access to all many rights, protections, and benefits are being denied to gay people just because they are gay.

It's just discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

It's not right
    :clap:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options

Are tax laws...
    Are adoption laws...
    Are custody laws...
    Are alimony laws...

Just to name a few...

Correct???

Nope. No thought at all.

If the government overnight made same sex marriages legal, the only lawbook entry that needs changing would be the sex marriage law.

...And that would finally allow gay people access to the laws and rights that are already there

It would end the discrimination
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

Are tax laws...
    Are adoption laws...
    Are custody laws...
    Are alimony laws...

Just to name a few...

Correct???

I don't think this is correct. Once same sex marriage is legal, it's a marriage like any other so no need to change anything else because those 'rights' are conferred to 'marriage'.

Though it would seem it's not at federal level :?
    So we make same sex marriages legal tommorow..

And ALL current laws regarding marriage, alimony, child support, custody, etc. All stay in place?

Think about it a second....

It doesnt and WONT work.

It is FAR FROM A MARRIAGE LIKE ANY OTHER!
  • Options
    rollings wrote:

Are tax laws...
    Are adoption laws...
    Are custody laws...
    Are alimony laws...

Just to name a few...

Correct???

Nope. No thought at all.

If the government overnight made same sex marriages legal, the only lawbook entry that needs changing would be the sex marriage law.

...And that would finally allow gay people access to the laws and rights that are already there

You make it seem so simple..
    NO OTHER laws would need to be changed?

Too bad it would NEVER be that simple.
  • Options
    edited May 2012

It is FAR FROM A MARRIAGE LIKE ANY OTHER!

Why? Is it not the union of two people in love who wish to have a fulfilling life together, with all the ups and downs of a marriage? Apart from the sex aspect (and procreation), how so different is it to a man/woman marriage?
    Post edited by redrock on
  • Options
    Telling me NO LAWS need to be looked at and changed...
    Telling me NO THOUGHT needs to be put into this...
    Telling me that we could legalize gay marriage over-night.....

Really isnt convincing me to change my mind....

In fact, it is showing me that maybe EVERYONE involved, really needs to think about this, and do a little more homework.
  • Options
    edited May 2012

As several people said before, no one is trying to convince you to change your mind. You have stated your opinion which did not seem to be open to debate.
  • Options
    rollings wrote:

Are tax laws...
    Are adoption laws...
    Are custody laws...
    Are alimony laws...

Just to name a few...

Correct???

Nope. No thought at all.

You make it seem so simple..
    NO OTHER laws would need to be changed?

Too bad it would NEVER be that simple.

It is that simple.

Let gays marry and recognize the marriage as any other marriage

All those other laws refer to "married people" or "spouse" etc. and if they also happen to specifically mention "Man" and "woman", then all you have to do is change those words.

Maybe I dont' understand what you're saying.....why would other laws need to be changed if all they refer to is "marriage"?
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889

In fact, it is showing me that maybe EVERYONE involved, really needs to think about this, and do a little more homework.

Give me a specific law that would need changed
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

aww, c'mon, stay with me here........(read my last post)
This discussion has been closed.