Options

Gay Marriage Ban

FiveB247xFiveB247x Posts: 2,330
edited May 2012 in A Moving Train
Yesterday we were supposed to thank the armed forces for their deeds to our nation. Today we should lower the flag to half-mass and wonder what has happened to our senses. When religious discrimination is legitimized, freedom, justice and liberty are cast aside.

"If the advocates of apartheid had their wits about them they would claim - for all I know truthfully - that allowing mixed races is against their religion. A good part of the opposition would respectfully tiptoe away. And it is no use claiming that this is an unfair parallel because apartheid had no rational justification. The whole point of ... Read Morereligious faith, its strength and chief glory, is that it does not depend on rational justification. The rest of us are expected to defend our prejudices. But ask a religious person to justify their faith and you infringe "religious liberty". - The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins pg. 22 & 23

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gay_marriage
CONservative governMENt

Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law-breaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. - Louis Brandeis
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i think iran also bans gay marriage ... :?
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Justice Carlos Moreno wrote the dissenting opinion disagreeing that the proposition did not change the constitution's equal protection clause. He said the law denying same-sex couples the right to wed "strikes at the core of the promise of equality that underlies our California Constitution." He said it represents a "drastic and far-reaching change."

"Promising equal treatment to some is fundamentally different from promising equal treatment for all," said Moreno, who had been mentioned as a possible contender for the U.S. Supreme Court. "Promising treatment that is almost equal is fundamentally different from ensuring truly equal treatment."

well said.

sad to see in cali. there have been victories elsewhere, guess have to wait and see when the vast majority of the rest of the country does embrace true equality, my home state included.......
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,803
    The government should have no say in marriage anyway.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    yep....separation of church and state
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    tybird wrote:

this has nothing to do with the church. but does have everything to do with the government and laws(rights) given to married people. by people I mean a man and woman. if you are a man and a man or woman and a woman, you aren't allowed the same rights. the laws do not apply to "them"
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147

should have no say in practically everything

makes me sick to be a californian....and we're supposed to be the "left coast"....not so much when iowa is more liberal than us
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    tybird wrote:

this has nothing to do with the church. but does have everything to do with the government and laws(rights) given to married people. by people I mean a man and woman. if you are a man and a man or woman and a woman, you aren't allowed the same rights. the laws do not apply to "them"

exactly.
    marriage is a legal institution, and it may also be a religious institution....but in reality it should have nothing to do with the seperation of church and state b/c we are discussing legal marriages, not religious.....but i fear religion does play a big role here in denying rights to others.

i may be in the minority, but i "like"...for lack of a better term, the government being involved in marriage. it makes it 'easy' to legally declare my partner, my beneficiary, the person i want to speak on my behalf, etc, etc. it's a legal arrangement. obviously, it also is so much more than this to most of us.....but in the eyes of the law, that's what it's about....and i like that. i think the homosexual community would 'like' it too...thus why they fight for this same right. as down on marriage as many can and may be, there is a lot of convenience built into it.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    I was disappointed on November 4th, and I'm still just as disappointed, although I'm not as surprised this time. I somewhat expected this would happen but was still holding out for a miracle for our once great state. Gawd Bless Kahlifornia.
  • Options
    whitepantswhitepants Posts: 723
    I am so pissed that Prop 8 was upheld. It makes no sense that a state like California could harbor so many people who are ignorant about basic human rights and civil rights. Those who agree with Prop 8, simply do not believe in equal rights to gay people, and in essence, that's bigotry and discrimination.

So fucked up! :(
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    what is scary as the force behind the passing of proposition 8 will now focus their attention on another state ...
  • Options
    norm wrote:

makes me sick to be a californian....and we're supposed to be the "left coast"....not so much when iowa is more liberal than us
    The funny thing about Iowa is that by trying to squash gay marriage, they wrote a law that the courts overturned....it's not like the citizens of Iowa voted for gay marriage.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    norm wrote:

The funny thing about Iowa is that by trying to squash gay marriage, they wrote a law that the courts overturned....it's not like the citizens of Iowa voted for gay marriage.

you know what i meant
  • Options
    Why not just have a will, or some other legal document declare who your beneficiaries are, or who can speak for you, and still keep government out of deciding who can marry and who can't?
    exactly.
    marriage is a legal institution, and it may also be a religious institution....but in reality it should have nothing to do with the seperation of church and state b/c we are discussing legal marriages, not religious.....but i fear religion does play a big role here in denying rights to others.

i may be in the minority, but i "like"...for lack of a better term, the government being involved in marriage. it makes it 'easy' to legally declare my partner, my beneficiary, the person i want to speak on my behalf, etc, etc. it's a legal arrangement. obviously, it also is so much more than this to most of us.....but in the eyes of the law, that's what it's about....and i like that. i think the homosexual community would 'like' it too...thus why they fight for this same right. as down on marriage as many can and may be, there is a lot of convenience built into it.
  • Options
    Why not just have a will, or some other legal document declare who your beneficiaries are, or who can speak for you, and still keep government out of deciding who can marry and who can't?
    exactly.

if it was so easy as just having a will, why would the homosexual community be fighting for this right? that is only one of many intrinsic 'benefits' to legal marriage. the government is already involved in marriage, i've not seen good reason for that to end, personally. only the government can offer legal rights to marrige, not a church or people on their own....so yea...it takes more than simply drwaing up a will to do so, and why would i want to have to pay for a bunch of legal documents to be drawn up, when i simply can get a marriage license for what, $25?...and it's all set. i think simply allowing homosexuals to marry is the last step in true equality/access to marriage.

btw - i know of many couples, heterosexual and not, who have gone thru the legal paperwork to protect their assets, their loved ones, etc......and it IS a lot of work, and nice amount of $$$ to spend, when if one got married....viola...it's done. marriage makes that 'easy'.........that's all.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    exactly.

if it was so easy as just having a will, why would the homosexual community be fighting for this right? that is only one of many intrinsic 'benefits' to legal marriage. the government is already involved in marriage, i've not seen good reason for that to end, personally. only the government can offer legal rights to marrige, not a church or people on their own....so yea...it takes more than simply drwaing up a will to do so, and why would i want to have to pay for a bunch of legal documents to be drawn up, when i simply can get a marriage license for what, $25?...and it's all set. i think simply allowing homosexuals to marry is the last step in true equality/access to marriage.

btw - i know of many couples, heterosexual and not, who have gone thru the legal paperwork to protect their assets, their loved ones, etc......and it IS a lot of work, and nice amount of $$$ to spend, when if one got married....viola...it's done. marriage makes that 'easy'.........that's all.

A great answer.
  • Options
    A great answer.

aha, so it was a trick question all along eh? ;)

i just see many so *against* marriage...and i really don't get it. if one doesn't want to get married...cool........but to be 'against' it i truly don't understand. yes, getting out of a marriage can be difficult, and costly.....but i also think, why should it be easy? there are soooo many *benefit* to being married, benefits that one can easily acquire, simply by getting a marriage license, going to a courthouse, having your vows witnessed, and then done.....easy. it would take sooo much to get *all* those benefits without marriage, and even then don't know if you can get them all...or if you should. i know especially with healthcare, many do offer domestic partner insurance for same-sex couples....but it IS a lot of documentation. on the one hand, rightly so...b/c if one is offering this benefit, the paperwork, etc, if it changed regularly would be momumnetal work all on it's own. right there, with gay marriage...problem solved. now i know even within the heterosexual community there are those who want the 'rights of marriage' but without the marriage......and idk, just seems like having your cake and eating it too? how can you garner all the benefits, and none of the pitfalls if it does demise? even without marriage, if you own property together, or have children together...it can be quite nightmarish, i've seen it with a few friends. still can be nightmarish even with marriage, but at least there are laws, and recourse, etc. and as i said....just the overall intrinsic benefits, from day one of getting married...to me, from a legal standpoint, just make it so *worth it* to keep marriage and government relations together. and thus....yes....exactly why homosexuals rightly fight for the right to legal marriage.

*disclaimer - this is not to say one should not have a will, or a health care proxy, etc - b/c these things ARe important. just saying that, in essence so many legal rights are afforded simply by getting married....and sure, even withdeath and no will.....sure, can be contested, but property is usually deeemed to the survivor spouse if no will, etc.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    norm wrote:
    tybird wrote:
    norm wrote:

you know what i meant
    Yep....but it seems that a lot of folks do believe that Iowa actually voted for gay marriage.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    Yep....but it seems that a lot of folks do believe that Iowa actually voted for gay marriage.

this is america....we have the right to be completely uninformed and ignorant....hell just read the moving train! :P :mrgreen:
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    norm wrote:
    tybird wrote:

this is america....we have the right to be completely uninformed and ignorant....hell just read the moving train! :P :mrgreen:

:evil:
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:
    norm wrote:
    tybird wrote:

:evil:

:mrgreen:
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    no matter what one believes about gay marriage....the people of California voted...and sometimes democracy doesn't always go the way one wants it to go...
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    no matter what one believes about gay marriage....the people of California voted...and sometimes democracy doesn't always go the way one wants it to go...

I'm sorry, but no.

The Majority should NEVER be given the chance to vote away the rights of a minority. I mean.. they came for me first... are they coming for you next? Don't think it can't happen. Because now they have a legal precedence that they can force a vote to remove ANY rights at all. From anyone in the minority.

You think they chose us homos first by accident? 'Cause they didn't. This is just the beginning. They're not going to stop here.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Save the drama and stop acting like you are the only demographic group not having things go their way. EVERYONE has something that they want but can't have because the government denies it. Stop voting for the same people over and over and maybe things will change.

And they didn't 'come for you' first.
  • Options
    JB811 wrote:
    EVERYONE has something that they want but can't have because the government denies it.

Really?

Funny, because I don't see straight, white, Christian, heterosexual men being denied anything. In fact, I see them being handed a lot of it on a silver platter.

And in this case, they DID come for us first. It's been reported that the Mormons and Catholics started planning this 10 years ago. They chose to go after the rights of gay people first since it would be so easy to get people to vote against us.

I'm kinda surprised that the conspiracy people didn't know that.
  • Options
    What about the blacks in the 60's and the Jews before that? I think they were a little more oppressed.

I'm white, male, and straight. The government does many things with my money that I don't approve of, plus I'm one that believes in the Constitution. These last two administrations have been assaulting that every day.

So you are gay, big deal. I don't care. My point was that the government has too much control and it only seems to bother some people when they can't do what THEY want.
  • Options
    JB811 wrote:
    What about the blacks in the 60's and the Jews before that? I think they were a little more oppressed.

That would be up for debate. As a gay person I can't sponsor my husband into America as my spouse. I can't list him as "next of kin" and when one of us dies, the government gets 25% of everything that we've amassed over the 17 years that we've been together. There are over 1000 rights that we don't have that you do but "big deal," right?

I'm not totally up on my history but I don't think that's ever been something that any other group has had blocked from them.
    JB811 wrote:
    it only seems to bother some people when they can't do what THEY want.
    But you pretty much sum up the major problem. It's all gotta be about you. It's all about your little problems. Look, I agree that taxes are misspent and I agree that there are big problems with government control. But that's not what we're talking about.

Since YOU are not gay, as soon as I stand up for myself I'm told to "cut the drama" or "big deal." You only want me to care about something if it matters to YOU. It doesn't effect you... so you don't care. You only care about something if it knocks on YOUR little front door. And when it does... I wonder who will be left to stand up for you.
  • Options
    You aren't getting it. I called you on your claims that gays were the first which I totally disagree with. I listed two other groups that were murdered by the thousands, perhaps millions, because of their religious belief or the color of their skin.

I don't care that you are gay. Seriously you are taking that to the wrong path. My point was that there are people that only complain when they can't do their thing. And I have to point out that my family built their savings through hard work and now when my father passes I'll have to pay an inheritance tax. So that is more government being where they should not be. Just as they would take your money should you die.

I'm of firm belief that the government should not be limiting anyone that obeys the law and pay taxes on what they can or can not do. That is why I said that I don't care about you being gay. I don't think the government should have this say. We are all adults.

Some day the people are going to stand together against ALL politicians.
  • Options
    No, YOU'RE not getting it. Gay people are the first on the hit list that the Mormons have. They had a very concentrated effort over the last ten years to take away our rights here.

I never said you should care that I'm gay. I don't care that you don't care. I don't care about you personally at all. I care about my rights. Which I'm now told can be taken away if the majority wants it that way. And you seem to think that me standing up for myself is "drama." (you sure you're not gay? I've never heard a straight man use that term before.)

Yes, there are other groups that have also felt the tyranny of the majority. But they no longer do.

Furthermore, your lack of grasp of inheritance laws is typical. Yes.. you will pay an inheritance tax on what your father leaves you.. but not what your SPOUSE leaves you (kind of, it's a little more involved than that). I don't have that protection or over 1,000 other rights, protections and privileges. But apparently, since it doesn't effect you, it's just "big deal." You'd rather I focused on something that would help YOU out.

Like I said before, you only care if it effects you.

You know that if I was in a car accident and was comatose, my husband wouldn't be allowed into the hospital room to see me? Or make medical decisions for me? Nor would he be the one to say it's time to pull the plug? He wouldn't even be able to be my advocate and give my wishes about organ donation... to the government, he's just the guy who shares rent with me.

But you don't care about that because it doesn't effect you. You only want me to vote for an independent candidate and that's pretty much it.

And sorry... apparently if I don't stand up for my family.. nobody else is going to.
  • Options
    And actually.. that's not even really fair.

I can see the the majority of the people even here at the Pearl Jam Fan Forum are on my side even if they're not gay. It's just those "I hate all government" people who seem to think... I'm not sure... do you think anything?
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    Jasunmark wrote:
    And actually.. that's not even really fair.

I can see the the majority of the people even here at the Pearl Jam Fan Forum are on my side even if they're not gay. It's just those "I hate all government" people who seem to think... I'm not sure... do you think anything?
    i think we are in the middle of a struggle. like in the 20's with workers rights. like with wome'sn right to vote. or during the 70's and the civil rights movement.

its only a matter of time Jasun, before gay marriage is legal. but we been to make it happen. its rare rights are given by the state, they must be taken.
This discussion has been closed.