Options

Gay Marriage Ban

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Godfather. wrote:
    I never said anybody was a 2nd class citizen nor did I say they don't deserve any rights.

Godfather.

But not giving a group of people the right to marry and many of the benefits that go along with that is taking away rights, no? And if you are taking away a groups right, isn't that treating them like second class citizens?

Listen, as others have said, you came out and made your stance clear, unlike others. I clearly don't get or respect that position. When it comes to almost any other political topic, I am willing to try to understand the other sides position, but when it comes to treating everyone fairly, I cannot even fathom understanding why people think they have the right to something while another group doesn't. If I come off like an asshole, it's not personal and I don't mean it to be.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Godfather. wrote:
    I never said anybody was a 2nd class citizen nor did I say they don't deserve any rights.

Godfather.

You're contradicting yourself. But you do think they don't deserve this right:
    Godfather. wrote:
    I hope that gay marriage never happens

Its pure and simple, you don't want them to have the same rights as you do.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

Godfather. wrote:

:lol: are you trying to have an internet argument with me ? does my opinion change anything ?
    you and mike should understand that I have zero control over gay issues,all I have is my opinion and as I said it's nothing I would vote yea or nae on...just me man and that's it and as I've also said earlier I don't have any bad feeling for form them, you have your opinion and I have mine..pretty simplie really. ;)

Godfather.
  • Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    I cannot accept your opinion. It's wrong. But at least you have the decency to say you would not vote against it.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:

and i quote you again pandora..

i am also for equal rights for all and am very fine with marriage remaining as it was intended to be between a man and a woman ...

why is it you cant admit what youve written? ive previously stated that we all know youre all for gay marriage. i am agreeing youve said this. we are on the same side with this. but what i am having the problem with, mainly cause you wont clarify it for me, is you personally stating whether or not you support gay marriage using that terminology. not only that but youve previously stated it should be given some glorious spanky new name.. basically anything BUT marrriage... which only gives creedence to what i believe to be the intent of your words. that you personally DO NOT support gays using the term marriage. and having read and re-read the above quote, which are your own words, ive finally figured it out. you dont believe it should be called marriage... and that youre okay with that. you can deny it all you like but your words speak volumes. you really should own your words pandora. it will set you free.

im done with this witness your honor.
    I just said I am pro gay marriage using that term but mostly pro civil rights ...
    I have also explained why but will again here.

I would be fine with marriage staying between a man and a woman IF it meant
    the passing of equal legal rights for gay civil unions NOW

Yes, as a solution, a new term for gay marriages would be progression and a resolution
    in the current and upcoming situation. As we saw in NC more states are going to be passing amendments defining marriage, protecting it for decades in the future.
    Many will indeed want to keep marriage a traditional word while gay civil unions
    and their equality will not be an issue.
    That never was for many of these people.
    This changes the current situation greatly. This something we are just learning and witnessing.

As I have mentioned numerous times my friends who have had lifetime partners
    will not be around decades from now, the equal rights is what they need NOW.

I would like to see the current administration grant them that NOW.

This has been my stance throughout the thread and what surprises me is that many here did not even know of the movement that is growing stronger as we speak to protect the definition of marriage and keep its traditional meaning while removing the civil equality completely from the equation. This will encompass more supporters why giving civil rights NOW is necessary.

what you said pandora, and i quote:
    pandora wrote:
    You also think I am not pro gay marriage wrong again!
    I am mostly pro gay rights though.

so then what right/s do you think gays shouldnt have?

what youve been saying all along is that gays should find another word instead of marriage. you seem to think this will facilitate them gaining marriage equality. the point you seem to be missing is that the suggestion of them finding a new word for marriage makes the word marriage the sole dominion of the straights, which in case you havent grasped it makes it exclusionary.. which is not what equaity is about. youve said yes gays should be allowed to marry BUT let them call it something else. this is not equality. youve expended a lot of energy telling us where the 'marriage preservers' stand but have failed to tell us exactly where you stand. i wanted a simple answer to a simple question and you have failed to deliver that answer. so here it is again..
    do you support the use of the word marriage by gays? remember, its a yes or no question. no hiding behind your concern and wishes for your gay friends or what the 'marriage preservers' want.
    no no no I meant I am more for equal rights because of my friends situation
    I should have said more so for meaning this is what is of importance to me at this time.
    Equal rights for civil gay unions not that I think they should have most of the rights :?

There are no rights I think they should not have.

I have been saying in light of what happened in NC
    and will be happening in other states it is now that the administration
    needs to give equal civil right to gay unions. My priority at this time is to have equal civil unions.

The government will not pass a nationwide amendment at this time using
    the term marriage, that is pretty clear.

The movement and yes there is one is including civil unions
    so the govt needs to step in and say no way and give all civil unions the same rights
    gay or straight.

How many time must I say cate over and over it is not
    I who cares if the word marriage is used, the preservers of marriage do very much so
    and are actively working to over turn laws and bring amendments defining
    marriage as a man and a woman.
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:
    soooo you all are fighting with pandi because you would like to think that using the word "marriage"in a gay union would make everybody equal ? well I disagree with all you gay "marriage supporters" and as you all have the right to express your opinions I have expressed mine as well,have a nice day.

Godfather.

at least you stand up, and just come out with it and dont hide behind a bunch of nonsensical, contradictory posts
    wow how arrogant :?

I am pro gay marriage but want the civil unions with equal rights now

There is a strong movement to redefine marriage both by gays and by straights.
    This is not my priority because it will not be solved now.
    Civil unions granted by the federal govt nationwide can be granted now.

This is and has been my stance since I arrived in the thread.
    I think some though just came to rag on others. :nono:
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Godfather. wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

Godfather. wrote:

:lol: are you trying to have an internet argument with me ? does my opinion change anything ?
    you and mike should understand that I have zero control over gay issues,all I have is my opinion and as I said it's nothing I would vote yea or nae on...just me man and that's it and as I've also said earlier I don't have any bad feeling for form them, you have your opinion and I have mine..pretty simplie really. ;)

Godfather.

I'm just pointing out that you contradicted yourself. I only ask questions of folks like you because I simply dont understand why someone would want another person to have less rights. not trying to argue, just trying to understand. And although you dont have an impact on these issues directly, I think everyone of us matters with our voice.

I also wonder if a person who says "I hope gay marriage never happens" ever considers how a gay person might feel if they heard that. How would you feel if I said "I hope Godfather never gets to marry the love of his life."
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    Of course its not just a word. :?
    Yes there is a definite movement of those who are striving to protect traditional marriage.
    Has nothing to do with not liking someone nor keeping anyone from equality under the law.
    Your example is of one and yes there are many but there are many joining with the vote
    only to protect the traditional meaning of marriage.
    They support civil union equality but do not support changing the meaning
    and definition of marriage. This is a new change in thinking,
    why support has dropped for gay marriage since 2011.

Do you realize how crazy you sound?

There is no such movement. Maybe a few people who say things to make them feel good about their disdain and ignorance toward the gay population.

A 5 month trend is a joke "since 2011" in that it dropped a couple percentage points, likely within the margin of error. Look at support since 1996.... and the trend over the past 15 years, which is a heartbeat in time when dealing with the "Thousands of Years" this precious word of marriage has been around.
    Still though you put it to a vote in the bible belt, calling it whatever you want and it will get denied. Soon though. The "movement" as you call it is going toward gay marriage. before long it will be a reality. Ignorance usually gets stamped out over time.
    Sorry you don't see the movement taking place have you looked into it?
    There are many yankee states with petitions for ballots this fall.
    This to challenge laws in place and to redefine marriage as
    between a man and a woman.

Hope you don't end up eating your words and I hope I'm wrong but I think the trend will be to
    protect marriage.
  • Options
    sorry JP I'm trying to hurt or anger anyone.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    i don't see how you can legislate discrimination and inequality in the name of some ancient text.

it just does not make sense to me that this is still an issue in 2012...

it may not make sense to a lot of people,I'm not picking sides here so bare with me here..
    what you are dealing with is over 200 years of tridition just in the USA and thousands of years of triditional thinking (man/woman marriage) world wide so waiting for the whole world to change it's way of think in a few short years just ain't gonna happen man, me personally I hope that gay marriage never happens but if it does I won't be whinning about it or joining in on any rallys to stop it and wont change the way I feel about people..because that's what we all are people with different views and opinions and I don't believe that because ot that we need to attack each other phyically or verbaly.

Godfather.

perfectly stated ... insightful, gut honest and compassionate!
    Godfather. wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    so Godfather: Are you saying you dont really care? You would abstain from voting against (or in support of) the marriages?

if so, thats interesting. Most people seem to have strong feelings and are entrenched on one side or another.

read my reply to Gimmi bro.

Godfather.
    get ready to repeat yourself over and over ;)
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    Godfather. wrote:
    sorry JP I'm trying to hurt or anger anyone.

Godfather.
    question that is a shade off topic.
    do you ever review and edit your work on here or do you just say, "screw it and hit submit?"
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,648
    pandora wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    Of course its not just a word. :?
    Yes there is a definite movement of those who are striving to protect traditional marriage.
    Has nothing to do with not liking someone nor keeping anyone from equality under the law.
    Your example is of one and yes there are many but there are many joining with the vote
    only to protect the traditional meaning of marriage.
    They support civil union equality but do not support changing the meaning
    and definition of marriage. This is a new change in thinking,
    why support has dropped for gay marriage since 2011.

Do you realize how crazy you sound?

There is no such movement. Maybe a few people who say things to make them feel good about their disdain and ignorance toward the gay population.

A 5 month trend is a joke "since 2011" in that it dropped a couple percentage points, likely within the margin of error. Look at support since 1996.... and the trend over the past 15 years, which is a heartbeat in time when dealing with the "Thousands of Years" this precious word of marriage has been around.
    Still though you put it to a vote in the bible belt, calling it whatever you want and it will get denied. Soon though. The "movement" as you call it is going toward gay marriage. before long it will be a reality. Ignorance usually gets stamped out over time.
    Sorry you don't see the movement taking place have you looked into it?
    There are many yankee states with petitions for ballots this fall.
    This to challenge laws in place and to redefine marriage as
    between a man and a woman.

Hope you don't end up eating your words and I hope I'm wrong but I think the trend will be to
    protect marriage.

I think you've been asked 3 times to show some sort of evidence for this movement. It shouldn't be that hard if it's as large as you claim.

Also, it's been posted on here numerous times tha over half the country is for gay marriage and that number is trending up.

So far you're the only person I've heard of hat wants to protect the word marriage. Everyone else uses that excuse as a way to keep rights away from gays.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    seems clear to me that you think the term marriage should only pertain to marriage between a man and a woman. what is it im missing here?
    Wrong again that is what preservers of marriage believe not me
    but you hear only what you want to hear.

You also think I am not pro gay marriage wrong again!
    I am mostly pro gay rights though
    and don't want to have my friends waiting any longer for their civil union equal rights,
    they have waited a lifetime already.

and i quote you again pandora..

i am also for equal rights for all and am very fine with marriage remaining as it was intended to be between a man and a woman ...

why is it you cant admit what youve written? ive previously stated that we all know youre all for gay marriage. i am agreeing youve said this. we are on the same side with this. but what i am having the problem with, mainly cause you wont clarify it for me, is you personally stating whether or not you support gay marriage using that terminology. not only that but youve previously stated it should be given some glorious spanky new name.. basically anything BUT marrriage... which only gives creedence to what i believe to be the intent of your words. that you personally DO NOT support gays using the term marriage. and having read and re-read the above quote, which are your own words, ive finally figured it out. you dont believe it should be called marriage... and that youre okay with that. you can deny it all you like but your words speak volumes. you really should own your words pandora. it will set you free.

im done with this witness your honor.

catefrances, you are frickin hysterical, very sharp and funny.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    The problem is, that there really is no such thing as "Marriage Preservers". They just dont like gays. The ballet result in NC wasnt about "protecting marriage". It was about keeping the gays down into a second class. You really think that people showed up in droves to protect a stupid fucking word? To provide Civil Unions, or Marriages would likely draw the same voting lines.

"protecting marriage" is just a phrase hateful people use to disguise their bigotry. Its complete horse shit and cowardly.

A couple years ago, I met a guy who was working with us, who lived in Tennessee. Right after introductions, he went on to tell me how he was taking the day off to fly to Tennessee to vote. The vote was for Tennessee to not recognize civil unions conceived in other states. He just figured it was vile and I was on board with that.
    Its bullshit. Too many ignorant people are going to keep getting in the way. No matter what you call it. Just give them their marriages and be done with it.
    :clap:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    I think you've been asked 3 times to show some sort of evidence for this movement. It shouldn't be that hard if it's as large as you claim.

Also, it's been posted on here numerous times tha over half the country is for gay marriage and that number is trending up.

So far you're the only person I've heard of hat wants to protect the word marriage. Everyone else uses that excuse as a way to keep rights away from gays.
    What makes you think I want to protect the word marriage?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,971
    Everyone in favor of gay marriage, raise you hand.

Me: (raises hand)

Everyone not in of favor of gay marriage raise your hand.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    pandora wrote:
    i am demanding nothing less than gay marriage. if you don't like it, that is your problem. the movement is now. the time is now.

it is nobody's place to segregate or subjugate anyone because of how they were born.

equality is equality. this legislation and your justification of it is clearly in support of inequality.
    well thats fine lets take 20 years maybe more and battle,
    me...
    I would like to see some resolution, rights granted today.
    My friends have been without the same rights as JB and I a lifetime,
    they want the legal rights and equality we enjoy everyday.

There is nothing unequal about this proposal, it just a different term for the union.
    As gay people distinguish their sexuality as different, as a term defined as a group,
    so goes the union under a different name with all the same rights, amendment granting
    that of the traditional marriage between a man and a woman.

This made me think that.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Best check out the NC law it will lead to who where how and why,
    as I have mentioned before.

Washington State currently has an online petition for a ballot for fall but there are others
    I believe past the petition stage. MN and some eastern states are also targeted.
    I found my info after watching interviews on TV but since have found info on
    support for this cause through the marriage organizations nationwide.
    There are quite a few working to preserve marriage as it is legally defined now.
    Post edited by pandora on
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    i am demanding nothing less than gay marriage. if you don't like it, that is your problem. the movement is now. the time is now.

it is nobody's place to segregate or subjugate anyone because of how they were born.

equality is equality. this legislation and your justification of it is clearly in support of inequality.
    well thats fine lets take 20 years maybe more and battle,
    me...
    I would like to see some resolution, rights granted today.
    My friends have been without the same rights as JB and I a lifetime,
    they want the legal rights and equality we enjoy everyday.

There is nothing unequal about this proposal, it just a different term for the union.
    As gay people distinguish their sexuality as different, as a term defined as a group,
    so goes the union under a different name with all the same rights, amendment granting
    that of the traditional marriage between a man and a woman.

This made me think that.
    How often must I say what my priority is. I don't want to wait decades. I want equal rights now
    really how come you can't get that. My term is now GAY CIVIL UNION
    this will be what I will be using in the future not cause I don't want the term marriage used
    but because it won't be anytime soon.

With the NC law it won't even be that... a civil union. :wtf:
    Now that has been removed as an option for decades...
    Wake up folks!
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:

Me too!
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

Washington State currently has an online petition for a ballot for fall but there are others
    I believe past the petition stage. MN and some eastern states are also targeted.
    There are quite a few woking to preserve marriage as it is legally defined now.

They're full of shit. They're all just trying to keep a group of people from having the same rights they do. The same shitty excuses have been used in ever civil rights battle. They quote the bible and come up with stupid reasons like "preserving marriage." preserving marriage has NO meaning. My marriage is different than anyone else's. What are the preserving? Only that gays can't marry.
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    pandora wrote:

They're full of shit. They're all just trying to keep a group of people from having the same rights they do. The same shitty excuses have been used in ever civil rights battle. They quote the bible and come up with stupid reasons like "preserving marriage." preserving marriage has NO meaning. My marriage is different than anyone else's. What are the preserving? Only that gays can't marry.
    Its good to get angry but ranting and name calling does nothing.
    The preservers are getting votes. If the President and Congress would step in now
    challenge the NC law based on the civil union aspects
    grant everyone the same civil equal rights under an amendment
    he would be protecting peoples rights. They are being lost now.
    I have emailed representatives numerous times, like I'm sure many have here.
    I will try the President next. Never have done that.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,629
    pandora wrote:

There are quite a few working to preserve marriage as it is legally defined now.

This "noble" movement to speed things along in Washington State...
    is actually to take away Gay Marriage that is already established. Here it is. It looks like they have the best interest of "their gay friends" in mind: http://protectmarriagewa.com/ google that group and it is a pretty negative slew of lies and deception they lay out. Do you really believe they have any interest in providing rights to gay couples. Its layed out pretty plain and they are spending a lot of money to further their cause.

you have no idea what you are talking about.

Now Ill prepare myself for a slew of passive aggressive posts from Pandora playing the victim.

Better yet, Im just going to back out now. Cant converse with someone living in an alternate reality (or blatantly lying and deceiving).
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    pandora wrote:

the answering system that fires signals of information in your brain matter for communicational purposes is misleading, (confused/confusing), extremely difficult to follow and very blurred out. i have sat here for the last 30 minutes or more and i have painstakingly read over yours and others' posts here. you and godfather's posts are the only writers of opinion on here that i cannot completely follow and understand. your writing/words and sentences and paragraphs are very difficult to grasp.

is your opinion purposefully written like a complex and even scrambled maze of gibberish to frustrate others? do you do this on purpose? is this what they call trolling and baiting?

in my opinion it was like this in the ted nugent thread that was shut down. 90% of what i read was riddled with more twists and turns than the iowa countryside gravel roads being driven by a insane drunkard on his john deere tractor on his way to some homosexual escapade out behind some dude's barn down the way

i am no grammar nazi nor a expert on the english language. but jesus h christ. i fully believe in (adult) education and that at any age one should attend higher education classes if and when they can.

we all are communicating on here w/ what we write. let us all try a little harder to make things clearer and easier to understand; what we write is who we are to each other, ourselves, and anything lazier than not caring about what we have written from what we believe and feel to be true or false, good or evil, ect, ect, is to be understood as clearly as possible and not totally fuckard up nonsense :mrgreen:
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    someday. ;)

Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    someday. ;)

Godfather.
    probably not ;)

chadwick

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,287
    brianlux wrote:

im in favor of gay marriage...

we should be able to make a poll like we used to on these forums....
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:

im in favor of gay marriage...

we should be able to make a poll like we used to on these forums....

+1
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    the answering system that fires signals of information in your brain matter for communicational purposes is misleading, (confused/confusing), extremely difficult to follow and very blurred out. i have sat here for the last 30 minutes or more and i have painstakingly read over yours and others' posts here. you and godfather's posts are the only writers of opinion on here that i cannot completely follow and understand. your writing/words and sentences and paragraphs are very difficult to grasp.

is your opinion purposefully written like a complex and even scrambled maze of gibberish to frustrate others? do you do this on purpose? is this what they call trolling and baiting?

in my opinion it was like this in the ted nugent thread that was shut down. 90% of what i read was riddled with more twists and turns than the iowa countryside gravel roads being driven by a insane drunkard on his john deere tractor on his way to some homosexual escapade out behind some dude's barn down the way

this is by far the best thing I've ever seen written on the train. the BEST, Jerry, the BEST.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
    edited May 2012
    brianlux wrote:

rick-santorum-GOP-candidates.jpg
    Post edited by whygohome on
This discussion has been closed.