Options

Gay Marriage Ban

Comments

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    pandora wrote:
    Yes of course why the law was passed yesterday with more states lining up to stop it.

Just curious what you meant here -- More states are lining up to stop a law like this from passing, or more states are lining up to pass the same law?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited May 2012
    anyone not familar with gay folks should be thrown into a sweaty pit overflowing w/ homosexuality from both men and women.

i drove a semi truck for many years. for more than 2 or 3 years i worked w/ a young truck driver dude at two different companies. at the seafood company we were team drivers. he is about 6-8 yrs younger than i. i noticed things over the course of our working together. he never talked about women vs' i, where i am women women women.

he always told me if i knew his dark secret that i would kick him out of the truck. i flat out laughed at him and said no i wouldn't, unless you are a rapist and or a child molester, no i'd never kick your fat ass out of my truck.

one day while loading our trailer w/ shaved ice for the salmon we were heading after, he told me he is attracted to men. i said, "that is your dark secret that would get you tossed out of my truck?"

he said yes as he began to cry.

i said, " don't cry man, but it's ok if you cry, i cry all the time myself, im a poetry writer and have feelins to, man"

i told him as long as you don't try and hook up w/ me we're cool. and if you bring a man back to the truck i will give you space just please do not use my bed, your bedroom is upstairs, you can screw around up there all you two want. i do not care. just like i would never fuck around w/ some woman in your bedroom upstairs.

i told him i was going to fix a giant dark colored adult toy to the shifter beings he fondled the damn stick shift all day/night long. i told him, "maybe it'll shoot beep beep beep beep beep and edit." he laughed so hard he about fell out the damn truck

that man taught me a great deal about acceptance and he is the greatest navigator i have ever known. he guided me into some of the biggest most craziest city locations imaginable. the dude's brain is a rand mcnally commercial driver's road atlas

the dude was even a virgin in his mid 20s. women did nothing for him. the dude was simply turned on by men. he was soo misunderstood, mistreated and ridiculed by his father it was unreal. his father hated his son's guts because his son wanted to be a gay man.
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:
    I am also for equal rights for all and am very fine with marriage remaining as it was intended to be between a man and a woman ...
    I would cast for my vote for that today if it meant equal rights for gay unions
    right now and stop the marriage battle. I have a feeling others would do the same.

The light is not what you think :D

and there we have it folks.... finally. pandora isnt a marriage preserver but she thinks marriage should remain the dominion of man-woman couples.

thanx for the clarity.
    I just saw this, really :nono:
    fair minded as always with the wrong clarity I might add
    one that fits what you want to think ....

so thought I would point out my remarks in color there

never said should and said I would cast my vote today if it meant equal rights for gay unions,
    and yes it would be a wonderful victory at hand! I think it would fit nicely right here
    with Obama's recent move and it would be historical.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Good god
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,645
    pandora wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    I am also for equal rights for all and am very fine with marriage remaining as it was intended to be between a man and a woman ...
    I would cast for my vote for that today if it meant equal rights for gay unions
    right now and stop the marriage battle. I have a feeling others would do the same.

The light is not what you think :D

and there we have it folks.... finally. pandora isnt a marriage preserver but she thinks marriage should remain the dominion of man-woman couples.

thanx for the clarity.
    I just saw this, really :nono:
    fair minded as always with the wrong clarity I might add
    one that fits what you want to think ....

so thought I would point out my remarks in color there

never said should and said I would cast my vote today if it meant equal rights for gay unions,
    and yes it would be a wonderful victory at hand! I think it would fit nicely right here
    with Obama's recent move and it would be historical.

If marriage was "intended" to be between men and women it's not a far stretch to assume you think that "should" stay the same. No?
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    pandora wrote:
    Yes, I believe civil gay unions with equal rights is exactly the right road
    for the preservers of marriage, it is the only road and believe this is becoming
    clear to them.

And no I'm stating my opinion on how to get resolution very soon
    to equal rights

not just bitching and saying others are bigots and hoping
    they change in the next decade or two. I'm not much for complaining I prefer
    to find ways to fix things.

Once again, it cannot be EQUAL rights if they are called something different. How is this so difficult to understand?
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    what does ted nugent want for the gay citizens of this great planet? i ask this because many follow and believe exactly to a tee what mr. nugent approves of and does.

again, does t. nugent accept homosexual men and women as equals?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Yes of course why the law was passed yesterday with more states lining up to stop it.

Just curious what you meant here -- More states are lining up to stop a law like this from passing, or more states are lining up to pass the same law?
    I don't know all the particulars but yes the preservers of marriage
    will be getting ballots for the fall
    defining marriage as a union of a man and a woman, in some states,
    some even override pro gay legislation in place .
    38 states have bans in place but the new amendments will define marriage as in NC.

Now would be a good time for the administration to recognize as a first step gay civil unions
    and give them equal rights under the law. It is a good example for the states, good timing
    and a great first step.
  • Options
    strilo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    Yes, I believe civil gay unions with equal rights is exactly the right road
    for the preservers of marriage, it is the only road and believe this is becoming
    clear to them.

And no I'm stating my opinion on how to get resolution very soon
    to equal rights

not just bitching and saying others are bigots and hoping
    they change in the next decade or two. I'm not much for complaining I prefer
    to find ways to fix things.

Once again, it cannot be EQUAL rights if they are called something different. How is this so difficult to understand?
    I am hoping for legal civil rights for gay unions at this point, it is good timing midst
    what is going on with the preservers of marriage working against the marriage issue.
    The legal rights are the same.
  • Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    edited May 2012
    My stance is this. No compromise. I am not accepting anything until it is marriage. I don't think civil rights for human beings are something to be negotiated and compromised on. Are civil unions a step in the right direction? Sure. But it's not the endgame and my passion for this issue will not change one bit until it's marriage.
    Post edited by strilo on
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,625
    so states will have gay marriages. Great!

Hopefully "preservers of the bullshit" or whatever they are called stay home.
  • Options
    gay civil union? no. it is called being married, not a gay civil union.

at least that is how i am understanding this.

married or not married. that is all we have, that is all we need. single, married or widowed. gay men and women do not need to be seperate from the rest of society. gay men and women are rooted deep in our society and they are not leaving and do not need to leave.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    By "preservers of marriage" do you mean republicans? If not then who? Do these POM have a leader or office or something?
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Good god

:lol:

or as i say...

"keep fucking that chicken!"

:lol: :corn:
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    If marriage was "intended" to be between men and women it's not a far stretch to assume you think that "should" stay the same. No?
    I didn't invent the word.... it was created, intended and defined thousands of years ago.
    Now there is a movement as we saw in NC to go state by state
    and redefine by law what marriage is, to protect that.

I care not if marriage is used only to the point of it hindering legal rights for gay unions now.
    This the entire point of all my posts
    though people repeatedly want to see me as being against gay marriage
    alrighty then. :lol:
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    By "preservers of marriage" do you mean republicans? If not then who? Do these POM have a leader or office or something?
    Please research on line there are many articles, everyone should.
    You will see how the ballot got there in NC, who put it there and why
    and what states are next.
    The margin is narrowing with actually less people in favor of gay marriage than in 2011,
    the vote for the NC law much better than anticipated.

Many Americans are opposed to the changing of the traditional term of marriage
    when it comes down to it. Has nothing to do with legal rights or prejudice but tradition.
    This opinion appears to be growing why I say again gay legal civil unions with rights preserved
    now a great first step showing support from our government for equality.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:
    The margin is narrowing with actually less people in favor of gay marriage than in 2011,

when it comes down to it. Has nothing to do with legal rights or prejudice but tradition.
    This opinion appears to be growing why I say again gay legal civil unions with rights preserved

I'd be willing to bet most of these preservers are also birthers.
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    good question. what is a preserver of marriage? sounds like those freaky religious folks that stalk military funerals to do picketing...............(i remember there name)

westboro baptist church

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

I'd be willing to bet most of these preservers are also birthers.
    They may well be historians
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    If some new term, or civil union is created (lets face it, that wont happen though) for equal rights for gay marriage (for discussions sake)...lets call it EGAIRRAM...that will be the gay marriage term (of equal rights).

If EGAIRRAM is passed, I promise to legally divorce my wife and get re-unionized with her under federal or state EGAIRRAM. Will straight people be allowed to marry under this new definition/term??
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Slavery happened in our past. We changed that. It's really not that difficult. The longer it goes on the more embarrassed we will be about it later.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

it is not. is is showing our government is frickin stupid as shit and extremely prejudiced. tradition is bullshit in this arena. tradition in this arena is hateful and controlled by religious radicals against opening their blinded piss poor eyes

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,625
    edited May 2012
    ljidpw36ceqh7xm50bwyzg.gif

376mfrydeu2byekfbjf-mg.gif

9qu3xuq5nk6ix3xjo99xcg.gif
    Do you think marriages between same-sex couples should or should not be recognized by the law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages?
    Should be valid
    Should not be valid
    No opinion
    2012 May 3-6
    2011 Dec 15-18
    2011 May 5-8
    2010 May 3-6
    2009 May 7-10
    2008 May 8-11 †
    2007 May 10-13
    2006 May 8-11 †
    2006 May 8-11 ^†
    2005 Aug 22-25 ^
    2004 May 2-4 ^
    1999 Feb 8-9 ^
    1996 Mar 15-17 ^

Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    28 pages and things that are completely being ignored by the anti-same sex marriage "crowd":

1. the definition of marriage includes same sex couples by many different sources
    2. marriage as an institution has evolved to the point where many practices such as marrying your child to a stranger at the age of 12 is looked down upon.
    3. calling it marriage has no impact to anyone anywhere
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    Slavery happened in our past. We changed that. It's really not that difficult. The longer it goes on the more embarrassed we will be about it later.
    that was a war though :shock:

and the rest of the world only 10 nations accept gay unions, only 6 states here
    there is a long way to go ...
    give equal rights to gay civil unions today!
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Here are the problems I see with the State bans on gay marriages, and I’m just an outside observer, so image what your legal mines could do, if you stopped relying solely on politicians, use some of that collective clout and money on the judicial system.

1. The 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws

--NC will argue that due process was obtained because it was voted on by the people of that State, to which the 1st Amendment comes into play

2. The 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

--the State’s use of a religion to deprive and suppress the rights of a select group of citizens of their life, liberty and property is a violation of the Constitution.

--by denying your right to marry, the States deny you equal access to life experiences, liberties and property entitlements granted to those group of people that are permitted to marry.

3. Issue for the U.S. Supreme Court – What is marriage?

--There is no law within the U.S. that legally requires a person to be married, therefore, a State cannot selectively determine who qualifies to be married based on their sexual activity.

--Therefore, the act of marriage can deemed as entering into a ‘legal obligation; -any two people- can enter into ‘legal obligation’.

--The religious aspect of getting married is nothing more than a ‘personal’ preference because even within a religious setting that marriage IS NOT LEGALLY VALID without a STATE issued license.

--The States have already acknowledged the right of a man to get married and a woman to get married, that’s where their legal obligation stopped.

– The States overstepped their authority by injecting their personal religious preference to infringe upon the right of others by defining and limited marriage to a man and woman WITHOUT addressing the sexual activity that bars a gay couple from being married, in relation to those same activities when performed by a ‘married couple – man/woman’ upon each other.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

it is not. is is showing our government is frickin stupid as shit and extremely prejudiced. tradition is bullshit in this arena. tradition in this arena is hateful and controlled by religious radicals against opening their blinded piss poor eyes
    I am not seeing it a totally religious division
    and I have no idea how it plays out by political persuasion.
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Upon request, I did some research online.

I googled "preservers of marriage".

Lots of sites on how to save your marriage, preserve your wedding bouquet, preserve your wedding dress, shit like that came up.

Only one came up about this issue.
    It was a site by the church of latter day saints.

It's http://WWW.preservingmarriage.org/

So where are all these "preservers of marriage"?

On a side note, after this thread I now hate the word preserve, in any form.
    I also hate the phrase "as it was intended between man and woman".

I'm also confused as how the word marriage has always been defined as being between man and woman, when so many have clearly shown some of us that that clearly isn't the case, yet the has been ignored, and the phrase has been repeated over and over to the point of noisom.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
This discussion has been closed.