***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    There's the newlywed. Alright, before I go to bed - here's my look of how they're going to start the season....

1. Rollins - SS
    2. Victorino - CF
    3. Polanco - 3B
    4. Howard - 1B
    5. Ibanez - LF (depending on lefty/righty)
    6. Francisco - RF (depending on lefty/righty)
    7. Ruiz - C
    8. Valdez - 2B

BN - Schneider - C
    BN - Gload - LF/RF/1B
    BN - Mayberry - OF/1B
    BN - Martinez - CF/2B/SS
    BN - Young/Castillo(?)

1. Halladay
    2. Lee
    3. Oswalt
    4. Hamels
    5. Blanton

LRP - Kendrick
    MRP - Herndon(?)
    MRP - Baez
    MRP - Bastardo
    SU - Madson
    SU - Romero
    CP - Contreras

By the sounds of it, it looks like Ol' Naugahyde will be the closer since Dubee wants to keep Madson in the 8th inning role because he's a spaz.

I highlighted the two spots that I expect them to go with over what I'd like. I'd like to see this Stutes character up in the majors, but the dude isn't on the 40 man and no reason to start spending options when you can use it on Herndon. The other bolded spot is that I think they'll go with Castillo, even though I'd rather have the pop and youth of Young over Luis. I just figure since they can keep Orr, Barfield, and Young in the minors that they're going to start with Castillo on the roster. I just don't think it's worth it at all now with Castillo, but what the hell, it's not a lot of money to cut him at any point in the season, so we'll see.

And that's what I would do with the lineup. Get the fastest guys at the top, and have Polly hit third since even when he's injured he puts the ball in play, hence that should produce some runs and keep guys on base.

I think Francisco takes the opportunity at RF and makes the most of it. I think it's flat out his position by the all star break.

Now that's not a 100+ win lineup, but it's still a winning lineup. We'll be fine.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    There's the newlywed. Alright, before I go to bed - here's my look of how they're going to start the season....

1. Rollins - SS
    2. Victorino - CF
    3. Polanco - 3B
    4. Howard - 1B
    7. Ruiz - C
    8. Valdez - 2B

BN - Schneider - C
    BN - Gload - LF/RF/1B
    BN - Mayberry - OF/1B
    BN - Martinez - CF/2B/SS
    BN - Young/Castillo(?)

1. Halladay
    2. Lee
    3. Oswalt
    4. Hamels
    5. Blanton

LRP - Kendrick
    MRP - Herndon(?)
    MRP - Baez
    MRP - Bastardo
    SU - Madson
    SU - Romero
    CP - Contreras

By the sounds of it, it looks like Ol' Naugahyde will be the closer since Dubee wants to keep Madson in the 8th inning role because he's a spaz.

I highlighted the two spots that I expect them to go with over what I'd like. I'd like to see this Stutes character up in the majors, but the dude isn't on the 40 man and no reason to start spending options when you can use it on Herndon. The other bolded spot is that I think they'll go with Castillo, even though I'd rather have the pop and youth of Young over Luis. I just figure since they can keep Orr, Barfield, and Young in the minors that they're going to start with Castillo on the roster. I just don't think it's worth it at all now with Castillo, but what the hell, it's not a lot of money to cut him at any point in the season, so we'll see.

And that's what I would do with the lineup. Get the fastest guys at the top, and have Polly hit third since even when he's injured he puts the ball in play, hence that should produce some runs and keep guys on base.

I think Francisco takes the opportunity at RF and makes the most of it. I think it's flat out his position by the all star break.

Now that's not a 100+ win lineup, but it's still a winning lineup. We'll be fine.

i like it....sorry--that's about all the analysis i got at this point. but what you said makes sense.

did you see the o/u on rollins' batting average is .257? i might dabble on that one. if he stays healthy i think jimmy gonna's due for a monster-ish contract year.
    www.myspace.com
  • booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    ohh Fightins' baseball :-D
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
    Love the over on Jimmy's avg. as well. I don't think he's going to explode and have an MVP year or anything, but if he stays healthy (which I think he will) and plays around 150+ games, he'll have a better avg. than that. Book it.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,448
    not excited about castillo. he is a dog. i hope they don't keep him. still think there is a chance they make a trade either for Michael Young or someone else. got a bad feeling about Lidge. if Lidge is out for any length of time have to go with Madson over Contreras to close in my opinion. Madson free agent after this year so if Lidge is out for awhile i think you need to find out once and for all if Madson can close long term. just get the games started. spring training has been one long period of aprehension on what can go wrong next. let's get the games going boys.

anyone want to do some predictions here with maybe 5 or 6 quesstions regarding the phis? things like wins, how far in playoffs, pitcher with most wins, etc. - what do you guys think? here are some questions I think we could make predictions on. if anyone else can think of anything that might be good throw it out there - i'd say just phillies related for this thread.

1) Number of Phils regular season Wins
    2) Phils pitcher with most wins
    3) How many rounds in playoffs Phils WIN
    4) Number of games Chase Utley plays
    5) Number of Home Runs by Ryan Howard
    6) Does Joe Blanton get traded during regular season
    7) Jimmy Rollins final batting average

we could put a list together and save them and see how everyone did come november (at the parade :) ) - Let me know what you guys think.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Love the over on Jimmy's avg. as well. I don't think he's going to explode and have an MVP year or anything, but if he stays healthy (which I think he will) and plays around 150+ games, he'll have a better avg. than that. Book it.

how can u be so ceratain he wont get hit in the hand and break it... :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

how can u be so ceratain he wont get hit in the hand and break it... :mrgreen:

You gawd damn MUSH! :mrgreen:

Well, yeah, a lot of weird shit could happen.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

1. Rollins - SS
    2. Victorino - CF
    3. Polanco - 3B
    4. Howard - 1B
    7. Ruiz - C
    8. Valdez - 2B

BN - Schneider - C
    BN - Gload - LF/RF/1B
    BN - Mayberry - OF/1B
    BN - Martinez - CF/2B/SS
    BN - Young/Castillo(?)

1. Halladay
    2. Lee
    3. Oswalt
    4. Hamels
    5. Blanton

LRP - Kendrick
    MRP - Herndon(?)
    MRP - Baez
    MRP - Bastardo
    SU - Madson
    SU - Romero
    CP - Contreras

I think they keep martinez, castillo, and young...going with 6 bech guys to start the year. which is stupid

As for the lineup...I'd like to see

Rollins
    Polanco
    Ibanez
    Kong
    Francisco
    Victorino
    Ruiz
    whatever scrub plays second
    pjhawks wrote:
    not excited about castillo. he is a dog. i hope they don't keep him. still think there is a chance they make a trade either for Michael Young or someone else. got a bad feeling about Lidge. if Lidge is out for any length of time have to go with Madson over Contreras to close in my opinion. Madson free agent after this year so if Lidge is out for awhile i think you need to find out once and for all if Madson can close long term. just get the games started. spring training has been one long period of aprehension on what can go wrong next. let's get the games going boys.

anyone want to do some predictions here with maybe 5 or 6 quesstions regarding the phis? things like wins, how far in playoffs, pitcher with most wins, etc. - what do you guys think? here are some questions I think we could make predictions on. if anyone else can think of anything that might be good throw it out there - i'd say just phillies related for this thread.

1) Number of Phils regular season Wins
    2) Phils pitcher with most wins
    3) How many rounds in playoffs Phils WIN
    4) Number of games Chase Utley plays
    5) Number of Home Runs by Ryan Howard
    6) Does Joe Blanton get traded during regular season
    7) Jimmy Rollins final batting average

we could put a list together and save them and see how everyone did come november (at the parade :) ) - Let me know what you guys think.

sure
    QUESTION - So I guess I needed to renew my membership and I did last night. My shit expired at the end of January, but I had till the end of April to retain my membership #. Do you think I'll be able to buy a pair of tix from the presale tomorrow?
    QUESTION - So I guess I needed to renew my membership and I did last night. My shit expired at the end of January, but I had till the end of April to retain my membership #. Do you think I'll be able to buy a pair of tix from the presale tomorrow?

no clue brother...good luck with that.

I have sales appointments all day tomorrow. gonna be tough for me to find time to get to this pre-sale. this means I'm gonna have to depend on one of my buddies, who I'm sure will fuck this up
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,418
    pjhawks wrote:

Sorry dude, but closers don't mean shit. Lidge is just $12M of waste. 2009 Phils had a full-out catastrophe at closer, and still got 2 games away from a world championship. Contreras will be fine. Madson likes the 8th, and the 8th is just as valuable as the 9th so might as well keep him there. Just let Lidge get healthy and come back in due time.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Just realized a 1.5M option on Lidge after this year. Thank. God.

And, yeah, Madson is too much of a spaz to be the closer at this point. I like Old Man & The Sea closing.
    pjhawks wrote:

Sorry dude, but closers don't mean shit. Lidge is just $12M of waste. 2009 Phils had a full-out catastrophe at closer, and still got 2 games away from a world championship. Contreras will be fine. Madson likes the 8th, and the 8th is just as valuable as the 9th so might as well keep him there. Just let Lidge get healthy and come back in due time.

I agree 1,000% with this

I also think baez has a solid season
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    pjhawks wrote:

I don't know about closers not meaning shit, I mean Boston was bounced from the playoffs in 2009 because Papelbon stunk and I would say that Mo has been pretty fucking valuable to the Yankees over the past decade +
    Utley is hoping to be back by the all star break, he says.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

he got hurt?
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

he got hurt?

Been hurt, fucked up knee. Hasn't played all spring.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

he got hurt?

Been hurt, fucked up knee. Hasn't played all spring.

yikes....

they have 12 pitchers ..they will be fine
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I don't mean to sound overdramatic, but his status makes or breaks their season (assuming the 4 starters stay healthy).

Lidge MRI tomorrow

Supposed to rain Friday. That would suck ass

Also, hit the doctor today and it's official. My boys can swim. It's early to start telling people according to my wife, but I'm telling everyone I know she won't talk to :D . Now I guess we just hope for the best over the next few months.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I don't mean to sound overdramatic, but his status makes or breaks their season (assuming the 4 starters stay healthy).

Lidge MRI tomorrow

Also, hit the doctor today and it's official. My boys can swim. It's early to start telling people according to my wife, but I'm telling everyone I know she won't talk to :D . Now I guess we just hope for the best over the next few months.

LOL congrats....

u will be fine w/ out utley//// with that staff...
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Lidge MRI tomorrow

atta guy. congrats!
    www.myspace.com
    oh boy....anyone see the cover of the new sports illustrated?

http://www.wheresweems.com/?p=7339

we're screwed! :lol:

(pretty bad ass though)
    www.myspace.com
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    200757_723978324788_31708359_38824236_250022_n.jpg
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I think I'm talking myself off the ledge. This team has been through thick & thin the past 5 years or so, and they've shown their guts & guile. From being 7 & 3.5 down with 17 to go to disastrous seasons for closers to 2/3 of the freakin' lineup being hurt, they just keep winning, and only bad luck kept them from the Series last year. They will be fine. 8-)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I think I'm talking myself off the ledge. This team has been through thick & thin the past 5 years or so, and they've shown their guts & guile. From being 7 & 3.5 down with 17 to go to disastrous seasons for closers to 2/3 of the freakin' lineup being hurt, they just keep winning, and only bad luck kept them from the Series last year. They will be fine. 8-)

Totally. The fact that they led the Majors in wins last year despite all the injuries as well as spans of complete offensive ineptitude is encouraging
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

Totally. The fact that they led the Majors in wins last year despite all the injuries as well as spans of complete offensive ineptitude is encouraging

Sometimes teams & players just know how to win. You can't reflect that in WAR or VORP or OPS or UZR.

Oh boy, here we go. What have these guys won?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Oh boy, here we go. What have these guys won?

I assume you're talking about the five starting pitchers. Well if you must know, they've won a combined 571 games and lost 342....good for a .625 win percentage (regular and postseason).

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

Sometimes teams & players just know how to win. You can't reflect that in WAR or VORP or OPS or UZR.

agreed.

i also like how it has become trendy to pick any team other than the phils this year too. that plus the injuries will put a pretty big chip on their shoulders which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

with any luck, 2-6 comes back around mid season in time for the phils to make their patented late season push.

GO.
    PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.